Future top high school teams

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

Mavs

Future top high school teams

Post by Mavs » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:40 am

Who will be the future high school teams to contend with in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021?

Which teams that had great success at the U12A level will stay together and form future big time high school teams?

Which teams are hurt the most by private schools?

Which teams have back to back (or more) classes that will come together in future years?

Two years ago: Mound-Westonka, Roseau, Edina, WBL, Wayzata, Minneapolis, Stillwater, Eagan (9th grade class)

Last year: Forest Lake, St. Paul, Roseau, Brainerd, Edina, Minnetonka, Eagan, etc (8th grade class)

This year: Andover, Edina, Minnetonka (7th grade class)

Are any of these groups devastated by privates like Blake, Breck, Cretin, Hill Murray, etc?

Teams that had great top ends but maybe not the depth but combine them with a couple of classes (like all high schools) and look out?

Way too early to tell (but trying to get discussions going)

Who are your way too early top high school programs in the future?

jg2112

Re: Future top high school teams

Post by jg2112 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:22 pm

Mavs wrote:Who will be the future high school teams to contend with in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021?

Which teams that had great success at the U12A level will stay together and form future big time high school teams?

Which teams are hurt the most by private schools?

Which teams have back to back (or more) classes that will come together in future years?

Two years ago: Mound-Westonka, Roseau, Edina, WBL, Wayzata, Minneapolis, Stillwater, Eagan (9th grade class)

Last year: Forest Lake, St. Paul, Roseau, Brainerd, Edina, Minnetonka, Eagan, etc (8th grade class)

This year: Andover, Edina, Minnetonka (7th grade class)

Are any of these groups devastated by privates like Blake, Breck, Cretin, Hill Murray, etc?

Teams that had great top ends but maybe not the depth but combine them with a couple of classes (like all high schools) and look out?

Way too early to tell (but trying to get discussions going)

Who are your way too early top high school programs in the future?
Andover and Forest Lake are going to have some titanic sectional final battles in the coming years out of (I think) 7AA. They will be two of the top 5 teams in the state during your timeframe. They have it all - depth, the best top end talent, experience. Their 8th graders are superb. Andover's 7th graders are the best group in the state. FL's aren't too bad either.

You have to imagine that Edina will lose a couple girls to private schools. Not hard to look at older siblings and figure out where a couple of those high-end Edina players might end up (BSM?)

Mound-Westonka will be ..... okay? The best player from that team is now Breck's second leading scorer as a 9th grader. Their U12 and U10 teams are strong, but of course they are co-oped with Orono so it's unclear who will end up where.

Tonka will be able to sustain, even though a couple from their program will follow their older sisters to Breck.

I think WBL will have a tough time of it, as they only have five U12 skaters this year (all skating in a co-op with Roseville), all of whom were on a winless U12B team last year.

On the east side, like you said, the future of many D2 teams depends on which girls end up going to Hill, Cretin and SPU. The St. Paul Capitals, of course, disperse to those schools. Heck, this year Irondale, Roseville, WBL, MV and FL are all without great U12/U15 players and/or varsity leaders who left to attend private schools in the past 18 months. Hard to say it won't continue - the only question is who will jump. Some of the D2 schools won't be able to sustain many defections.

A couple others I think will be good in your timeframe: Farmington, Chaska/Chanhassen, but again, the private schools. One of Farmington's potential star freshwomen for this year is playing at Shattuck.

observer

Post by observer » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:53 am

Planning another move?

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:21 am

observer wrote:Planning another move?
Who?

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:58 am

I tried to get discussion going...it failed :?

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:41 pm

Mavs wrote:I tried to get discussion going...it failed :?
thanks! I will try to help...

Centennial has a very solid group of 9th & 10th graders...so the 17/18 season and the 18/19 season they should be very good.

Have heard that Anoka has a good group of 9th graders right now so they might be solid.

2 of the best players from that Mound-Westonka team are both at Breck (Beniak & Breza). Also heard thru the grapevine that a couple of other younger players may be heading to Breck to join them...they should be strong in 18/19. Who will be the goaltender at Breck after they graduate the 2 great senior goalies this year?

The Hornet will always be strong...even while losing some of the players that they always seem to lose. They are so deep at the HS level that players have difficulty seeing any ice time in their future with a strong 9th/10th/11th grade class already clogging up a bunch of D & F spots.

Hornet/Trojan/Skippers all have deep youth programs so they should be able to back fill those players that are leaving the next year or two.

Minnetonka is graduating a BUNCH of players this year. Will be interesting to see the make-up of that team next year...will they be more balanced age wise or build with youth?

Benilde has a really, really good goalie that has never played winter girls hockey that I believe will be their top goalie for the next 3 seasons. She played PWA 2 years ago and then Bantam A last and this year (I think).

Blake is pretty balanced across all grades. They have a super solid group of current 9th & 10th graders. Both classes have 2 very good D, a great G, and some F's that should put up points.

SPU has a nice group of 9th & 10th graders as well.

Maybe this will help get this thread unstuck?

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:30 am

There we go...

Eagan has a solid group of 8th and 9th graders so they should have a good wave coming through. Not sure about goal tending.

Cretin is stacking up talent and will be very Hill Murray like every year going forward. They have forwards, defense and goalies.

Stillwater has a very good 8th grade class but their 9th grade class was hit by Hill Murray with a couple of top end kids and not sure about goal tending.

Forest Lake is loaded at 8th grade but not so much in 9th grade. They have plenty of talent in 8th to overcome that and have forwards, defense and goal tending.

Brainerd and Roseau will be a force with both their 8th and 9th grade classes so they will be northern powers and Grand Rapids isn't bad either.

Eden Prairie doesn't have the depth of Edina, Minnetonka and Wayzata but they still have some nice players and should be good going forward.

Anoka has a really good U15 team but its because kids stayed back instead of playing JV so its hard to say as not many other teams have done this other than NE Metro.

Mahtomedi will be a sneaky class A team in a few years but not in the same league talent wise as Breck and Blake, who should move to AA?

I heard someone say Dodge County is breaking up? Too many schools combined into one? Not sure if true.

Andover has a big time crop of 7th graders but their 8th grade group had some Cambridge-Isanti kids in there so not sure how good it actually is. Either way, the 7th grade group will make noise as early as their Sophomore year I would imagine.

Roseville and WBL are on the decline

St. Michael-Albertville? They have good teams for North Wright County but not sure if they all go to high school together.

OMG has some good players but again two high schools so not sure who goes where.

Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:27 am

I will add that Rosemount will be better than they have been in recent years! They may not be deep beyond 2 lines, but their top 2 lines should be real good as the skill is there....that is in 3 years :-)

fivegirls

Post by fivegirls » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:41 am

Mahtomedi will indeed be sneaky good at A. Their U15 team has been competitive despite being almost completely wiped out by the HS team. U12 has been strong all year, U10 very strong as well...despite 7 of the top players skating squirts this year. Most impressively, they're focusing on their girls' program in a big way, as evidenced by more than 35 3rd graders playing U8 (big numbers for a small association). You may not hear much about this program now, but you will. They're doing it the right way...focusing on development, equal playing time, and the development of as many girls as possible.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:42 am

fivegirls wrote:Mahtomedi will indeed be sneaky good at A. Their U15 team has been competitive despite being almost completely wiped out by the HS team. U12 has been strong all year, U10 very strong as well...despite 7 of the top players skating squirts this year. Most impressively, they're focusing on their girls' program in a big way, as evidenced by more than 35 3rd graders playing U8 (big numbers for a small association). You may not hear much about this program now, but you will. They're doing it the right way...focusing on development, equal playing time, and the development of as many girls as possible.
Great to hear. Every U15 team (sans Edina, Mtka) gets wiped out by the high school team. I think Mahtomedi only lost 1-2 8th graders but EVERY U15 team loses all its 9th graders and an 8th grader or two. U15 is really an 8th grader league on the top end. That said, very exciting post about the Mahtomedi girls program and doing it the right way. You have a quality program on the boys side too. Probably one of the best associations in the state when you look at the population you draw from not being nearly as big as some others. They should be a factor in class A for years to come.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:40 am

Mahtomedi is doing things well..Being the 5th largest A school, I wonder if they might be headed to AA..

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:40 am

nu2hockey wrote:Mahtomedi is doing things well..Being the 5th largest A school, I wonder if they might be headed to AA..
That would surprise me.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:35 am

fivegirls wrote:Mahtomedi will indeed be sneaky good at A. Their U15 team has been competitive despite being almost completely wiped out by the HS team. U12 has been strong all year, U10 very strong as well...despite 7 of the top players skating squirts this year. Most impressively, they're focusing on their girls' program in a big way, as evidenced by more than 35 3rd graders playing U8 (big numbers for a small association). You may not hear much about this program now, but you will. They're doing it the right way...focusing on development, equal playing time, and the development of as many girls as possible.
Is U10 "very strong"? Mahtomedi didn't have a U10A team this year due to lack of numbers. I also hear their best goalie at that level will be going to Hill-Murray.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:30 am

jg2112 wrote:
Is U10 "very strong"? Mahtomedi didn't have a U10A team this year due to lack of numbers. I also hear their best goalie at that level will be going to Hill-Murray.
The original quote says "despite 7 of the top players playing squirts this year". Am guessing that he thinks that they will be a strong group when they are all back together in u15/HS?

If it is correct on 7 top players playing squirts I would guess that they will be very strong in a few years when playing in HS.