Tier 1 added at U14 and U15 levels in MN- announced today

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:08 am

Interesting, however, there is no 15U in girls tier 1...next year 2001 and 2000 play 16U...

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:06 am

nu2hockey wrote:Interesting, however, there is no 15U in girls tier 1...next year 2001 and 2000 play 16U...

But the article says this, "Minnesota Hockey and the CCM Minnesota Hockey High Performance programs have finalized a framework for Tier 1 hockey at the 15 and 14 & Under classifications for Youth and Girls."

It looks like it starts in August and goes thru late September. 12 "league games", 3 "playoff games", 18 "on-ice development practices" and 8 "off-ice training sessions". Thats A LOT of sessions for less than 2 months. I am guessing at least 30 different days worth of hockey over a 2 month period. That is assuming the playoff games will potentially overlap (more than 1 game a day) and also assume that ALL off-ice sessions will be on same days as on-ice sessions. That is hockey almost every other day for 2 months! That might be difficult for kids that are starting out HS and/or are playing another sport in the fall like soccer or cross country.

Yay for hockey...but...is it too much too early both in the year and also in the infancy of this new program?

It will be interesting to see both the cost of this program and also how it will be implemented. I can't imagine that Tier 1 teams across the country are doing this much hockey this early in the year. But I certainly could be wrong on that...

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:23 pm

massalsa wrote:
nu2hockey wrote:Interesting, however, there is no 15U in girls tier 1...next year 2001 and 2000 play 16U...

But the article says this, "Minnesota Hockey and the CCM Minnesota Hockey High Performance programs have finalized a framework for Tier 1 hockey at the 15 and 14 & Under classifications for Youth and Girls."

It looks like it starts in August and goes thru late September. 12 "league games", 3 "playoff games", 18 "on-ice development practices" and 8 "off-ice training sessions". Thats A LOT of sessions for less than 2 months. I am guessing at least 30 different days worth of hockey over a 2 month period. That is assuming the playoff games will potentially overlap (more than 1 game a day) and also assume that ALL off-ice sessions will be on same days as on-ice sessions. That is hockey almost every other day for 2 months! That might be difficult for kids that are starting out HS and/or are playing another sport in the fall like soccer or cross country.

Yay for hockey...but...is it too much too early both in the year and also in the infancy of this new program?

It will be interesting to see both the cost of this program and also how it will be implemented. I can't imagine that Tier 1 teams across the country are doing this much hockey this early in the year. But I certainly could be wrong on that...

If you read the article they discuss U15 for girls born in 2001. US Hockey for girls has: U12,U14,U16,U15.

U12 is 2004 and 2005
U14 is 2002 and 2003
U16 is 2000 and 2001
U19 is 1997,1998, and 1999

The Tier 1 teams start early in some places,but most start in Sept and play until late Feb or early March

Go see this years National tourney in Blaine.

There are some significant problems with what MN Hockey is doing. The first one being they want to be both governing body and sole provider/operator for Tier 1. Everywhere else, the governing body may run the before/after teams,but different operators run the full season teams. This set-up by MN Hockey is a HUGE money grab. Plus by tying it to the notorious HP program, they are applying subtle coercive pressure to parents and kids .

skatez

Post by skatez » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:50 pm

I thought MN Hockey promoted multi-sport athletes?

Join our HP program (good luck making elite league if you don't) but you better not miss hockey for soccer, volleyball, softball, or lacrosse.

Huge money grab, hypocrisy at its finest.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:02 pm

skatez wrote:I thought MN Hockey promoted multi-sport athletes?

Join our HP program (good luck making elite league if you don't) but you better not miss hockey for soccer, volleyball, softball, or lacrosse.

Huge money grab, hypocrisy at its finest.
So Blades, OS, Machine, Miracle Gold, etc can't put a team in Tier 1 and it has to run through HP and MN Hockey only?

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:13 pm

Yep..and anyone who thinks 9 teams at all levels is a good idea , is extremely mistaken

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:43 am

I'm not sure how my daughter will be able to play soccer or tennis and also potentially do this program when she's eligible in fall 2017 as an 8th grader.

And we wonder why kids only play one sport.