Midwest Selects

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

Flyers62

Midwest Selects

Post by Flyers62 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:33 pm

Parent of U12 daughter new to area. Question for the group on the "Midwest Selects" tournament in August at Fogerty.

http://www.midwestselects.com/page/show/792654-home

What level is this really at? Don't see any overlap with Pee Wee Challenge rosters signed up. Anything "Select" about it? Is it worth the time & money to expose a player new to the area to a decent level of play?

Snap Happy

Re: Midwest Selects

Post by Snap Happy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:20 pm

Flyers62 wrote:Parent of U12 daughter new to area. Question for the group on the "Midwest Selects" tournament in August at Fogerty.

What level is this really at? Don't see any overlap with Pee Wee Challenge rosters signed up. Anything "Select" about it? Is it worth the time & money to expose a player new to the area to a decent level of play?
I heard it wasn't very good last year. There will probably be some good girls there, but depth will most likely be lacking. MN Selects in the spring is a little better. Peewee challenge looks to be pretty good this year and I heard it was good last year too.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:56 pm

In our experience the talent level is pretty strong through 12u. Upper levels (now combined as "high school") are split between Fogarty and Braemar for the OS shootout. Spring Selects, Elites, and Super Series are all reputable but hit or miss and a lot of uneven games. Welcome to Minny! (Feel free to shout out your new program or high school!) Socially, a great chance for your daughter to meet some players outside her own team/s.

Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:48 pm

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:In our experience the talent level is pretty strong through 12u. Upper levels (now combined as "high school") are split between Fogarty and Braemar for the OS shootout. Spring Selects, Elites, and Super Series are all reputable but hit or miss and a lot of uneven games. Welcome to Minny! (Feel free to shout out your new program or high school!) Socially, a great chance for your daughter to meet some players outside her own team/s.
lol well we will agree to disagree on this one the NTMH

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:19 pm

Snap Happy wrote:
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:In our experience the talent level is pretty strong through 12u. Upper levels (now combined as "high school") are split between Fogarty and Braemar for the OS shootout. Spring Selects, Elites, and Super Series are all reputable but hit or miss and a lot of uneven games. Welcome to Minny! (Feel free to shout out your new program or high school!) Socially, a great chance for your daughter to meet some players outside her own team/s.
lol well we will agree to disagree on this one the NTMH
Which part? I didn't denigrate or brag on anything being discussed?

Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:54 pm

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote: Which part? I didn't denigrate or brag on anything being discussed?
No worries at all -- I didn't take it as that anyway. I was just saying that I heard from a good source that midwest selects is not that good because of depth at the U12 level. There are lots of top girls who opt out of this as they are still heavy in to their AAA season at this time and it's just too busy with summer and all. MN selects in the spring you do have some top girls that do not play due to spring break, but at the 04 level at least almost all the top girls are there.

nu2hockey

Re: Midwest Selects

Post by nu2hockey » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:51 pm

Flyers62 wrote:Parent of U12 daughter new to area. Question for the group on the "Midwest Selects" tournament in August at Fogerty.

if the girl wants to play, have her play..Forget the nonsense about "top" players or not..If she has greater skill than the others it will be a prime opportunity to learn about leading and involving others,,

if you are new to the forum, have fun with it, but, be advised that there are those who think they know all the best players at all levels...Heck, some think they know the '20,'21,'22 Ms Hockey winners . Some believe they can extrapolate future state championships from 12u success for god's sake.These are the things that makes the forum fun.Enjoy your kids hockey, more importantly make sure she enjoys it!