CCM Tier I

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:35 am

HS elite league already produces the u-16 and u-19 tier one entrants. So it only makes sense that they should probably be the staging area for the u-14 team. The fall u-14 idea while valid does not allow for multiple sport athletes and is to expensive. The HS league is a better option and value. Fall tier one got maybe 1/10 of the top 02's and had to open up to 03's to fill out rosters. I don't see tier 1 fall surviving. IMHO

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:43 am

HockeyDude20 wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:
HockeyDude20 wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:
AlterEagle wrote:It's not boys hockey I'll say that much. If they can keep people interested and make some adjustments, in a couple years it could be very good.

My thoughts:
Either - cut down from 6 to possibly 4 teams.
Or - keep top girls down (this year many top 02's are playing HS elite).
I'll be honest, I don't know one 02' playing HS Elite
I know 17 of them...mmmbop!
Well then I guess its people like you who make this forum legit. Without a dog in the fight, I didn't realize until Zamboni pointed it out, that they (02's) are playing a somewhat exhibition schedule...Is it a first, because I don't remember Elite League doing this in years past.
That's why I'm here- to add legitimacy. Surge does only play two other teams over the course of the league- CCM and Reebok. They probably could play an expanded schedule and play a similar schedule as Sky or Royal and probably be just fine. But as you pointed out Elite League has not done this in the past. And as ZD astutely observed a lot of the decision most likely has to do with the competition from MN Hockey with the Fall Tier I league.

ZD, I hope the new girls pick up the systems quickly! Lol. Kidding, of course. The new girls are welcome additions.
My guess is team surge will be one of the two JWCD teams next spring. Kind of saw this coming this summer. Should be fun I know Josie and Ellen are looking forward to the challenge of playing in the HS elite league.

HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:51 am

Mavs wrote:
HockeyDude20 wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:
HockeyDude20 wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:
AlterEagle wrote:It's not boys hockey I'll say that much. If they can keep people interested and make some adjustments, in a couple years it could be very good.

My thoughts:
Well then I guess its people like you who make this forum legit. Without a dog in the fight, I didn't realize until Zamboni pointed it out, that they (02's) are playing a somewhat exhibition schedule...Is it a first, because I don't remember Elite League doing this in years past.
That's why I'm here- to add legitimacy. Surge does only play two other teams over the course of the league- CCM and Reebok. They probably could play an expanded schedule and play a similar schedule as Sky or Royal and probably be just fine. But as you pointed out Elite League has not done this in the past. And as ZD astutely observed a lot of the decision most likely has to do with the competition from MN Hockey with the Fall Tier I league.

ZD, I hope the new girls pick up the systems quickly! Lol. Kidding, of course. The new girls are welcome additions.
Do they become eligible for Tier 1? I know there is some criteria that goes into it to be able to play in a tier 1 tourney. Roster and attended x amount of games, etc
Mavs, the 02 Surge team will not be eligible for the 14U Tier I this year. The only MN teams eligible for 14U Tier I National Championship are through the MN Hockey HP Tier I league. Next year the 02 girls on Team Surge, and all other 02 girls for that matter, will be eligible at 16U through the Elite League. Team Sky and Team Royal are the two Elite League teams that will be eligible for the 16U USA Hockey National Championship this year. MN Hockey is only directly involved in Tier I on the girls side at 14U and 15U. And 15U is kind of pointless because there is no 15U National Championship to be eligible for anyway.

HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:12 am

zambonidriver wrote:
HockeyDude20 wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:
HockeyDude20 wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:

My thoughts:

My guess is team surge will be one of the two JWCD teams next spring. Kind of saw this coming this summer. Should be fun I know Josie and Ellen are looking forward to the challenge of playing in the HS elite league.
ZD, you need to change your handle. I think it should be "The Great Prognosticator"

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:58 am

HockeyDude20 wrote:
zambonidriver wrote:
HockeyDude20 wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:
HockeyDude20 wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:

My thoughts:

ZD, you need to change your handle. I think it should be "The Great Prognosticator"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:17 pm

HockeyDude20 wrote:
Mavs wrote:
HockeyDude20 wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:
HockeyDude20 wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:

My thoughts:

Do they become eligible for Tier 1? I know there is some criteria that goes into it to be able to play in a tier 1 tourney. Roster and attended x amount of games, etc
Mavs, the 02 Surge team will not be eligible for the 14U Tier I this year. The only MN teams eligible for 14U Tier I National Championship are through the MN Hockey HP Tier I league. Next year the 02 girls on Team Surge, and all other 02 girls for that matter, will be eligible at 16U through the Elite League. Team Sky and Team Royal are the two Elite League teams that will be eligible for the 16U USA Hockey National Championship this year. MN Hockey is only directly involved in Tier I on the girls side at 14U and 15U. And 15U is kind of pointless because there is no 15U National Championship to be eligible for anyway.
Got it, thanks

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:17 pm

A couple things that I have read & heard about this new Tier 1 thing.

It appears to be significantly different than what was originally proposed earlier this summer. With no out of town weekends (for metro folks) and 3 weekends vs more would be much more palatable to many. The original proposal was going to be VERY difficult for many in fall sports/captains practices/OS Fall league/etc. I am guessing that there might have been more participation if it was not such a daunting schedule.

In years past the MN HS Elite league teams that are u16 eligible were filled primarily with National Camp invites either that current year or the year prior. I think that there were some kids that were planning on being eligible or invited to Elite League. I think that the prospect of playing Elite League was more enticing to lots of those girls.

It is my understanding that last years teams needed to play at least 10 games together to be eligible to participate at Nat Tourn. Also means that players had to play or be on bench for at least 10 games for their team. Heard a couple of kids were ineligible for the tourney as they did not satisfy the 10 game rule.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:18 pm

The Elite League has 6 teams (Red,White,Black are U19 and Grey,Sky, Royal are U16)

RBK,CCM,SURGE are basically used to increase income .

The 10 game rule is a US HOCKEY rule and every player last year was told about the game requirements.

In the past the ELITE teams were first filled with National camp attendees, then others selected by tryout. Since, US HOCKEY doubled the amount of 15's attending NATIONALS the last 2 yrs, you should expect changes in the future for the ELITE league

AlterEagle

Post by AlterEagle » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:51 am

jg2112 wrote:
observer wrote:Sounds sticky not having the best girls participate in Tier 1.
It might be a one-year anomaly. Tier 1 in 2016 was announced months after most 2002s committed to AAA and the August-September schedule. 2003s weren't offered the chance to try out until June.

It's also worth mentioning that any soccer players, swimmers, and tennis players that are early 2002s have high school commitments in August-September that require their attendance.
My daughter is doing HS soccer and Tier 1. It hasn't been a problem. Prior to accepting the tier 1 spot they called out the flexibility to miss for HS sports anyway.

AlterEagle

Post by AlterEagle » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:58 am

massalsa wrote:A couple things that I have read & heard about this new Tier 1 thing.

It appears to be significantly different than what was originally proposed earlier this summer. With no out of town weekends (for metro folks) and 3 weekends...
We traveled to Duluth last weekend and will be in St. Cloud this coming weekend. There are 4 weekends of competition altogether before playoffs start. It has been interesting I will say that. My daughter will be playing HS this year and I'm glad we had this opportunity to stay on the ice this fall since we are not a part of the Jungles or 01/02 OS crew. I will also add that it hasn't been that much of a conflict with HS soccer.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:49 am

What is this?

CCM NIT Invitational Tournament will be held October 21st-23rd at Fogerty Ice Arena

Is this where the winners move on to Nationals?

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:41 pm

Mavs wrote:What is this?

CCM NIT Invitational Tournament will be held October 21st-23rd at Fogerty Ice Arena

No it isn't....The Elite League ends each fall with a tournament. .

SSM,Mission, TW, and usually some Canadian teams participate..

It is usually quite good

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:50 pm

nu2hockey wrote:
Mavs wrote:What is this?

No it isn't....The Elite League ends each fall with a tournament. .

SSM,Mission, TW, and usually some Canadian teams participate..

It is usually quite good
Ah, got it...sounds cool

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:33 pm

Just got the invite which confirmed my prognostication.
(NostraZamboni Driver)

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:39 pm

zambonidriver wrote:My guess is team surge will be one of the two JWCD teams next spring. Kind of saw this coming this summer. Should be fun I know Josie and Ellen are looking forward to the challenge of playing in the HS elite league.
(NostraZamboni Driver)
Who is the other team then?

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:00 pm

Mavs wrote:
zambonidriver wrote:My guess is team surge will be one of the two JWCD teams next spring. Kind of saw this coming this summer. Should be fun I know Josie and Ellen are looking forward to the challenge of playing in the HS elite league.
(NostraZamboni Driver)
Who is the other team then?
two teams comprised of 01/02 kids or this years 9th graders received the invite last night.

Iceburg

Post by Iceburg » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:13 pm

Is there an online roster for Team Surge floating around anywhere? Nothing on the Elite League site yet or on the sheets at the rink the other day either.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:20 am

Iceburg wrote:Is there an online roster for Team Surge floating around anywhere? Nothing on the Elite League site yet or on the sheets at the rink the other day either.
It's been posted on this site before. Look around in the threads talking about the 02 Orange and/or 02 Elite Selects.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:26 am

jg2112 wrote:
Iceburg wrote:Is there an online roster for Team Surge floating around anywhere? Nothing on the Elite League site yet or on the sheets at the rink the other day either.
It's been posted on this site before. Look around in the threads talking about the 02 Orange and/or 02 Elite Selects.
All 30-some of the kids mentioned on earlier posts are playing on the Surge team? No girls other than that roster of 30-some? If Icetown wasn't wondering which of those girls got asked to participate in the Elite League, then I'm interested. A whole bunch of high school girls were not invited.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:41 am

InigoMontoya wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
All 30-some of the kids mentioned on earlier posts are playing on the Surge team? No girls other than that roster of 30-some? If Icetown wasn't wondering which of those girls got asked to participate in the Elite League, then I'm interested. A whole bunch of high school girls were not invited.
It is not just 02 orange/elite selects

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:59 am

InigoMontoya wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
They didn't take any high school kids spots, it was a younger division that was added that doesn't play against the top high school kids in the actual elite league. Its almost like a sub-division as someone pointed out probably to go against the tier 1 and wrap up the younger kids?

observer

Post by observer » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:09 am

I've wondered about the 30 player roster too. Gonna get busted up as they should. I imagine the top 15 are outstanding.

goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:35 am

Am I hearing you say that the Surge team is going to go up against the winner of Tier 1 to play for the entrance into the national championship? How will MN Hockey allow that? They create rules for Tier 1 and them allow a team to bypass that and create a "super" team? If they allow it, say goodbye to the Tier 1 experiment.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:38 am

observer wrote:I've wondered about the 30 player roster too. Gonna get busted up as they should. I imagine the top 15 are outstanding.
two teams comprised of 01/02 kids or this years 9th graders received the invite last night. The best kids from 01/02 selects and Jungles 02 selects so 30 kids two teams.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:39 am

goaliedad31 wrote:Am I hearing you say that the Surge team is going to go up against the winner of Tier 1 to play for the entrance into the national championship? How will MN Hockey allow that? They create rules for Tier 1 and them allow a team to bypass that and create a "super" team? If they allow it, say goodbye to the Tier 1 experiment.
no that is not going to happen.