2022 UMHSEL Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BP

Re: 2022 UMHSEL Thread

Post by BP » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:21 pm

Brodziak Fan Club wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:28 am
Caden Morgan's school listed as Breck. The source saying he is transferring to Edina seems a little shaky. Does anyone have accurate info?
He's going to Edina. Kids had to sign up 3-4 months ago for tryouts - hence the Breck.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:21 pm

Just dawned on me that the Plante listed on Kowalski's is Max ('06) and not Zam. Seriously? Was there a requirement that a Plante be on the team? I find it hard to believe that there wasn't a more deserving junior or senior who could be playing in the league while the '06 plays Tier 1 for the Blades. SMH

bardown27

Post by bardown27 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:39 pm

thefatcat wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:21 pm
Just dawned on me that the Plante listed on Kowalski's is Max ('06) and not Zam. Seriously? Was there a requirement that a Plante be on the team? I find it hard to believe that there wasn't a more deserving junior or senior who could be playing in the league while the '06 plays Tier 1 for the Blades. SMH
Agreed with what you said, I don’t think Max is ready to play at that level like Zam was as a sophomore. Definitely more deserving juniors or seniors, but having him on the team gets his dad (a UMD coach) in the building, allowing the EL to keep the claim they have scouts and college coaches in the building every weekend

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:48 pm

BP wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:21 pm
Brodziak Fan Club wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:28 am
Caden Morgan's school listed as Breck. The source saying he is transferring to Edina seems a little shaky. Does anyone have accurate info?
He's going to Edina. Kids had to sign up 3-4 months ago for tryouts - hence the Breck.
Yes, I can also confirm this is true per a Breck assistant.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:46 pm

Opening weekend tomorrow morning at New Hope

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:34 pm

I went to my first high school hockey’s games today since the 2020 State Quarterfinals. Sam Rinzel stood out the most.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:41 pm

Yes if you haven’t seen him the last 18 months , he’d be the one to notice the most huge improvement and size , latest Gopher commit . The games i saw he was paired with Hornets Wyatt Wurst on the blue line , pretty formidable at 6.4 and 6.3 .

Scoring leaders as of website data tonight are linked below: No real surprises imho

https://www.hselitehockey.com/stats#/16 ... n_id=14528

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:47 am

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:33 pm

Team North Kowalskis spanks SSM high school team 5-1

CEC goalie Jacob Walsh allows only 1 goal on approx 30 sogs from a tough team . Several were hilite reel

Rapids kids with a solid day .

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:45 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:33 pm

CEC goalie Jacob Walsh allows only 1 goal on approx 30 sogs from a tough team . Several were hilite reel

Is the high school team the Prep team or the AAA team? I am assuming Prep?

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:00 am

thefatcat wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:45 pm
WestMetro wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:33 pm

Is the high school team the Prep team or the AAA team? I am assuming Prep?
It’s the Prep team. I noticed Tom Ward is back as head coach. Was he the coach last year also?

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:05 pm

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:38 pm

oldmaverick

Post by oldmaverick » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:16 pm

bardown27 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:39 pm
thefatcat wrote:
Agreed with what you said, I don’t think Max is ready to play at that level like Zam was as a sophomore. Definitely more deserving juniors or seniors, but having him on the team gets his dad (a UMD coach) in the building, allowing the EL to keep the claim they have scouts and college coaches in the building every weekend
After watching this playout with substitutions so far on Team with underclassmen and kids that haven't play any MN HS Hockey - The UMHSEL is getting to be a bit of a joke - There are way more Jr. and Sr. players that deserve some ice time in this program - It's as political as a program can get now. There HS programs with almost their complete HS Teams in this thing now. It's all who you know or your HS coach know now...Unfortunate.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:30 am

oldmaverick wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:16 pm
bardown27 wrote:
thefatcat wrote:
After watching this playout with substitutions so far on Team with underclassmen and kids that haven't play any MN HS Hockey - The UMHSEL is getting to be a bit of a joke - There are way more Jr. and Sr. players that deserve some ice time in this program - It's as political as a program can get now. There HS programs with almost their complete HS Teams in this thing now. It's all who you know or your HS coach know now...Unfortunate.
Are your comments directed at the teams from the northern part of the state or do you believe this to be the case for the metro teams too?

Getitright

Post by Getitright » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:34 pm

Points are not everything but seems max Plante kinda deserves to be on that team.

oldmaverick

Post by oldmaverick » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:31 am

InThePipes wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:30 am
oldmaverick wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:16 pm
bardown27 wrote:

Are your comments directed at the teams from the northern part of the state or do you believe this to be the case for the metro teams too?
All Teams for the most part - it's all about connections for example - a certain players younger brother from Edina / HF has played 4 game was an OK Bantam. There are plenty of Sr./Jr. HS players that deserve at least Sub/fill-in spots over kids that haven't played any HS games - It's lazy by the coaches and Teams.

oldmaverick

Post by oldmaverick » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:35 am

Getitright wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:34 pm
Points are not everything but seems max Plante kinda deserves to be on that team.
Nice player and not taking anything away from him - How does he deserve to be on the Team, he hasn't played any HS - its shinny hockey, very little contact if any and you put him in a win / win situation by loading up his line. Wasn't the Elite League started to help keep HS players from leveling MN?

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:21 am

I think we can all agree the High School Elite league isn't what it was originally set up for

My understanding is that it was MAINLY designed to keep the good kids from leaving for juniors (by giving them more games)

In my opinion, it has recently failed and is in need of some new ideas and definitely a new board/staff.

What I've seen over the last couple years is

1. Growing number of very good kids are still leaving for juniors
2. MOST coaches in the elite league definitely have an "agenda" (agent, advisor, off season trainers, friend of a friend of a HS coach)...
3. Kids that have never played a HS hockey game are now getting jerseys

Here are five changes I would make

1. Bring in some new board members who have "new ideas" and philosophies
2. Bring in all new coaches (no advisors or trainers)...Maybe consider letting a college coach or USHL coach behind the bench if they want to occasionally sit in
3. Focus on building a first class streaming product with top end announcers and access to instat for the players and scouts
4. Monitor coaches who seem to be shorting lines and playing favorites....penalties are 1 minute long, 3 penalties in one game and the player sits a game
5. The league should be incoming Junior and Seniors only.....(you can build a whole other high end league for the younger kids with the help of the Blades, Blue Army, Shattuck and other AAA clubs)...Now that recruiting has "allegedly" slowed down, there is really no strong need to "showcase" incoming 10th graders...

Again...if the goal is the grow Minnesota hockey and keep kids from leaving, then changes need to be made....if it's just to show off the most popular kids and the most popular programs, then they are doing a great job...

Getitright

Post by Getitright » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:18 pm

I’ve never seen Max Plante play. Agree 100% that the league is not what it was previously. But the fact is he is second on his team of 17 skaters in points. Are not all the other kids playing in this shinny league playing under the same conditions he is?

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:39 pm

yesiplayedhockey wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:21 am
I think we can all agree the High School Elite league isn't what it was originally set up for

My understanding is that it was MAINLY designed to keep the good kids from leaving for juniors (by giving them more games)

In my opinion, it has recently failed and is in need of some new ideas and definitely a new board/staff.

What I've seen over the last couple years is

1. Growing number of very good kids are still leaving for juniors
2. MOST coaches in the elite league definitely have an "agenda" (agent, advisor, off season trainers, friend of a friend of a HS coach)...
3. Kids that have never played a HS hockey game are now getting jerseys

Here are five changes I would make

1. Bring in some new board members who have "new ideas" and philosophies
2. Bring in all new coaches (no advisors or trainers)...Maybe consider letting a college coach or USHL coach behind the bench if they want to occasionally sit in
3. Focus on building a first class streaming product with top end announcers and access to instat for the players and scouts
4. Monitor coaches who seem to be shorting lines and playing favorites....penalties are 1 minute long, 3 penalties in one game and the player sits a game
5. The league should be incoming Junior and Seniors only.....(you can build a whole other high end league for the younger kids with the help of the Blades, Blue Army, Shattuck and other AAA clubs)...Now that recruiting has "allegedly" slowed down, there is really no strong need to "showcase" incoming 10th graders...

Again...if the goal is the grow Minnesota hockey and keep kids from leaving, then changes need to be made....if it's just to show off the most popular kids and the most popular programs, then they are doing a great job...
This is a pretty good summary / assessment ^^^^^^^

9th & 10th graders aren't jumping ship to do "before and after" juniors, they can go play U15 or U16 with blades, blue army, blizzard, lakers or MN CCM HP Fall Tier 1. They haven't paid their dues / waited their turn and they're simply anointed. At a bare minimum, they should have had to at least played varsity the previous winter. Elite League has become a good ol' boys network and some people can clearly see what coaches, teams, hockey advisors are pulling the strings. It's starting to resemble Bantam Elite League.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:06 am

Scoring and goaltending leaders as of end of regular season today

https://www.hselitehockey.com/stats#/16 ... n_id=14528

blueblood

Post by blueblood » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:08 pm

This league has turned into pond hockey. 5 of 8 Saturday games had 10+ goals pumped past the best MNHS goalies by the winning team. Play some defense. #BadOptics
Play Like a Champion Today

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:10 pm

blueblood wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:08 pm
This league has turned into pond hockey. 5 of 8 Saturday games had 10+ goals pumped past the best MNHS goalies by the winning team. Play some defense. #BadOptics
Could not agree more

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:51 pm

Yeah , Sanford had two of those 10-1 wins Saturday which was kind of weird . Several hatties and assist hatties .

Their Sunday game against SSM was a heckofa hockey game with real defense on both ends . The Great Plains kids played well, and frankly the game could’ve gone either way , their previous matchup ended in a tie . Eiserman and Celebrini for SSM are unbelievable 06s.