Edina's Willi/Willy Johnson

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Rich Clarke

Edina's Willi/Willy Johnson

Post by Rich Clarke »

I live out of town and am out of touch but for what I see on this or other websites, but I'm hoping someone can enlighten me. In 2020, Edina's Jimmy Clarke came up with a sophomore lineman named Willi Johnson, who appeared to be a promising young player. Last year, they had a "Willy" Johnson, who was listed on the Hub as a junior and I had assumed was the same player. However, they also had a "Willy" Johnson on JV who was younger. This year, "Willy" Johnson is listed on the Hub as a senior, but on the high school website is on the roster as a sophomore. Further, in last night's broadcast the announcers said that he had 17 points in 2021 as a freshman (which is consistent with whichever player was playing last year).

My questions:

Is the current Willy Johnson the senior who came up two years ago with Jimmy Clarke, or a younger player who started last year on JV?

If it is the younger player, what happened to Willi Johnson who played in 2020?

Which of the two players was the 2021 Willy Johnson?

The Hub seems to suggest the same player the past three seasons, but the high school website and last night's announcers seem to indicate otherwise. If anyone knows the answers, I'd appreciate your response. Thanks very much.
bardown27

Re: Edina's Willi/Willy Johnson

Post by bardown27 »

Looking at rosters on elite prospects for 2019/2020 and 2020/2021, there is only one Johnson on the roster. He’s an early ‘04 which would make him a senior. Assuming it is the same kid and the school website roster is incorrect.
Brodziak Fan Club

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

Yeah, pretty sure it's the senior... he's also a captain this year.
Rich Clarke

Post by Rich Clarke »

Thanks to those who responded. I also heard on tonight's broadcast that his dad approached the announcers and corrected them, pointing out that he's the senior. Small matter, but I appreciate knowing. Thanks again.
Brodziak Fan Club

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

The announcers were probably going off the game program which mistakenly had him listed as a sophomore.