CEC HS Boys- Move to A?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

north_bear

Re: CEC HS Boys- Move to A?

Post by north_bear » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:31 pm

I think this is a good move by CEC. Let's face it, they have been no more than a top 4 team in 7AA for quite a while. When was the last final they made? I applaud them for opting up for so long and competing though. They have had some good teams here and there but lately they've been a punching bag for other AA teams.

It's not all about the end result; ie winning the section. There are 25 regular season games to make memories with teammates, score goals, celebrate, etc. The kids will have a lot more successes and probably enjoy the game more by playing an A schedule.

Go Jacks
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:02 am

Last section final for Cloquet was 2008.

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:07 am

The move down makes sense

Duluth Marshall moving down makes sense too but nothing confirmed there.

CEC playing in Section 5A could be a huge shot in the arm for their program.

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:01 pm

I have been hearing some recent rumors that a couple of Section 7's single A teams are strongly considering a move up to AA. Two teams have been mentioned a number of times and I have heard as many as four teams considering their options in Section 7A.

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:19 pm

Schotzy wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:01 pm
I have been hearing some recent rumors that a couple of Section 7's single A teams are strongly considering a move up to AA. Two teams have been mentioned a number of times and I have heard as many as four teams considering their options in Section 7A.
Lots of Rumors of this on the Podcast yesterday

Rock Ridge, Hibbing and Denfeld may move up now.... who is the 4th?

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:39 pm

ClassAGuy wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:19 pm
Schotzy wrote:

The 4th, and I will admit I took it as the purest of rumors, was Proctor.

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:41 pm

Schotzy wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:39 pm
ClassAGuy wrote:
Schotzy wrote:

The 4th, and I will admit I took it as the purest of rumors, was Proctor.
Wow now that would be something

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:37 pm

ClassAGuy wrote:
Schotzy wrote:

I would absolutely love this. Hibbing and Rock Ridge both have groups coming up that will be able to compete well in 7AA. This has long been an idea I've believed in for 7A teams: if the best team in 7A is always better than the best team in 7AA, then why not just compete in 7AA?

But the best part, at least for me, would be how ridiculous this would make Hermantown look. Not that the program doesn't already look ridiculous with their endless sandbagging, but to have some 7A "crappy" programs go to AA before the Hawks would be priceless. :lol:

Another interesting angle is that if a couple 7A teams move to AA, that would torpedo Cloquet's dream of becoming the king of 5A, as they would for sure go to 7A and get the honor of losing to Hermantown by 10 goals in the playoffs. #-o

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:29 pm

I still think the only way Herm moves up is if all AA teams refuse to play them.

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:09 am

rainier2 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:37 pm
ClassAGuy wrote:
Schotzy wrote:

I would absolutely love this. Hibbing and Rock Ridge both have groups coming up that will be able to compete well in 7AA. This has long been an idea I've believed in for 7A teams: if the best team in 7A is always better than the best team in 7AA, then why not just compete in 7AA?

But the best part, at least for me, would be how ridiculous this would make Hermantown look. Not that the program doesn't already look ridiculous with their endless sandbagging, but to have some 7A "crappy" programs go to AA before the Hawks would be priceless. :lol:

Another interesting angle is that if a couple 7A teams move to AA, that would torpedo Cloquet's dream of becoming the king of 5A, as they would for sure go to 7A and get the honor of losing to Hermantown by 10 goals in the playoffs. #-o
The same thought had crossed my mind as well.

Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister » Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:37 pm

Rumor I heard was Hibbing, Proctor, Denfeld and Rock Ridge were all going to move up to AA (I had thought RR was above the enrollment so didn't have a choice).

Hibbing and Proctor stayed A. I heard Denfeld and RR went up to AA. Marshall stayed AA Blows my mind on Denfeld because they hardly have any kids to begin with. BUT I guess not losing to Hermantown is the point.

A true north section 7AA would have been amazing. Hibbing, RR, Denfeld, East, Cloquet, Proctor and say Marshall (and/or North Shore, Ely, Moose Lake, I. Falls?)