MR HOCKEY 2013

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

gray5
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:12 am

MR HOCKEY 2013

Post by gray5 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:08 am

so I know its early but who do you think is an early favorite. My list in no order would be

Nanne
Cotta
Lettieri
Besse
Moore
Gross
Labosky
Dingman?

any others in mind?

Cornermukker
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:20 am

Post by Cornermukker » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:14 am

Bischoff
Johnson

jancze5
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:11 pm

HM

Post by jancze5 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:19 am

Guentzel
Lavalle
New England Prep School Hockey Recruiter

Sats81
Posts: 2733
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

Post by Sats81 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:00 am

All depends who sticks around.

Besse is putting up some serious numbers as of late, but Adam Johnson, Bischoff and after watching Jake Guentzel monday night, my goodness I have a hard time seeing how he wouldn't be the frontrunner playing with Lavalle.

Gray5-Are you serious with the Nanne call? 15 pts in 21 games? Hardly Mr. Hockey candidate numbers....as I said in an earlier post its too bad so much emphasis gets put on points and the all-around play of kids is often dismissed, but I was referring to kids like Trevor Olson, Michael Zajac and Will Merchant who are all GAME CHANGERS with their physical play, team first mentality and lastly their ability to still put up big numbers as well. Nanne's numbers wouldn't even get Mr. Hockey consideration as a d-man in my opinion.

The Exiled One
Posts: 1711
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:34 am

Post by The Exiled One » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:56 am

Sats81 wrote:All depends who sticks around.
+1

IMHO, I think we'll see a lot of defections with this group.

gray5
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:12 am

sats81

Post by gray5 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:34 pm

Nanne might've been a stretch but he still has another year next to prove himself.
But who knows he could have a mediocre regular season like commers had last year and go on a scoring burst in the playoffs.

Slap Shot
Posts: 678
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:44 pm

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:51 pm

Pretty sure Lettieri is not returning.

pipersniper12
Posts: 631
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:26 pm
Location: GR

Post by pipersniper12 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:23 pm

Cornermukker wrote:Bischoff
Johnson
Johnson will be in the USHL next year.
Hunt|Fish|Hockey

mulefarm
Posts: 1669
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:01 pm

Post by mulefarm » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:27 pm

Why would Letteri leave? All the top players that have stayed at Tonka through their sr season have done quite well. Don't see any reason he should leave.

Slap Shot
Posts: 678
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:44 pm

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:29 pm

mulefarm wrote:Why would Letteri leave? All the top players that have stayed at Tonka through their sr season have done quite well. Don't see any reason he should leave.
I'm not saying he should nor that there is a precedent, I'm saying a little bird told me he won't be back.

mulefarm
Posts: 1669
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:01 pm

Post by mulefarm » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:43 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
mulefarm wrote:Why would Letteri leave? All the top players that have stayed at Tonka through their sr season have done quite well. Don't see any reason he should leave.
I'm not saying he should nor that there is a precedent, I'm saying a little bird told me he won't be back.
Might be true, but easier said than done.

green4
Posts: 1465
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:02 am
Location: Edina

Post by green4 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:16 am

mulefarm wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
mulefarm wrote:Why would Letteri leave? All the top players that have stayed at Tonka through their sr season have done quite well. Don't see any reason he should leave.
I'm not saying he should nor that there is a precedent, I'm saying a little bird told me he won't be back.
Might be true, but easier said than done.
Heard the same with Nanne, obviously not as big of a deal as Letteri leaving but interesting with them being cousins and all

BodyShots
Posts: 1768
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:44 am

Post by BodyShots » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:44 am

green4 wrote:
mulefarm wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
mulefarm wrote:Why would Letteri leave? All the top players that have stayed at Tonka through their sr season have done quite well. Don't see any reason he should leave.
I'm not saying he should nor that there is a precedent, I'm saying a little bird told me he won't be back.
Might be true, but easier said than done.
Heard the same with Nanne, obviously not as big of a deal as Letteri leaving but interesting with them being cousins and all
Do you think the DON has changed his stance on staying in school? He used to frown bigtime on kids leaving college early. Now his son leaves Wayzata before graduating, and there is talk of his recruits leaving early as well.

Gopher Blog
Posts: 1548
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:14 am
Contact:

Post by Gopher Blog » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:40 am

BodyShots wrote:
green4 wrote:
mulefarm wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
mulefarm wrote:Why would Letteri leave? All the top players that have stayed at Tonka through their sr season have done quite well. Don't see any reason he should leave.
I'm not saying he should nor that there is a precedent, I'm saying a little bird told me he won't be back.
Might be true, but easier said than done.
Heard the same with Nanne, obviously not as big of a deal as Letteri leaving but interesting with them being cousins and all
Do you think the DON has changed his stance on staying in school? He used to frown bigtime on kids leaving college early. Now his son leaves Wayzata before graduating, and there is talk of his recruits leaving early as well.
His very first recruit at the U back in 1999 (Jon Waibel) left HS early for the NTDP. Over the years some of his recruits have left HS early, some haven't. I don't think anything has changed at all in that sense.

Tigers33
Posts: 877
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:06 pm

Post by Tigers33 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:09 am

The DON has had the same stance from Day 1 - if you are ready for the next step than make it, if not get your education. Leaving high school early is different than college, because these kids are still getting a diploma. He is referring to the kids that give up that college degree when maybe they are not quite ready.

By the way how is Schroeder doing with the Canucks?

Reggie
Posts: 864
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:39 pm
Location: Northwoods

Re: sats81

Post by Reggie » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:52 pm

gray5 wrote:Nanne might've been a stretch but he still has another year next to prove himself.
But who knows he could have a mediocre regular season like commers had last year and go on a scoring burst in the playoffs.
Nanne is going to BCHL next year

WarmUpTheBus
Posts: 607
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: MR HOCKEY 2013

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:03 pm

gray5 wrote:so I know its early but who do you think is an early favorite. My list in no order would be

Nanne
Cotta
Lettieri
Besse
Moore
Gross
Labosky
Dingman?

any others in mind?
First 3 won't be back. Uneducated guess.

Redlight
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:56 am

Re: MR HOCKEY 2013

Post by Redlight » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:03 am

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
gray5 wrote:so I know its early but who do you think is an early favorite. My list in no order would be

Nanne
Cotta
Lettieri
Besse
Moore
Gross
Labosky
Dingman?

any others in mind?
First 3 won't be back. Uneducated guess.
You can probably include Besse as well. To bad these kids (or often times their misguided parents) feel the need to bail on the their senior year, especially the ones that already have D1 commitments. Lets face it, most of the kids aren't going to play in the NHL anyway and those that have the talent will make it regardless of weather they skip their senior year or not. If they need to go to the USHL for a year do it AFTER high school! :shock:

I wish someone would poll all the kids that left early 10 years later to see how high the % would be that would say it was a BIG regret. My guess 90+%

Sats81
Posts: 2733
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

Re: MR HOCKEY 2013

Post by Sats81 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:51 am

Redlight wrote:
WarmUpTheBus wrote:
gray5 wrote:so I know its early but who do you think is an early favorite. My list in no order would be

Nanne
Cotta
Lettieri
Besse
Moore
Gross
Labosky
Dingman?

any others in mind?
First 3 won't be back. Uneducated guess.
You can probably include Besse as well. To bad these kids (or often times their misguided parents) feel the need to bail on the their senior year, especially the ones that already have D1 commitments. Lets face it, most of the kids aren't going to play in the NHL anyway and those that have the talent will make it regardless of weather they skip their senior year or not. If they need to go to the USHL for a year do it AFTER high school! :shock:

I wish someone would poll all the kids that left early 10 years later to see how high the % would be that would say it was a BIG regret. My guess 90+%
I think you are pretty dead on with that. Lots of kids stuck around their Sr year and went on to great college careers or the NHL. Johnny Pohl, Jeff Taffe, Dan Welch, Andrew Alberts, Matt Koalska, Matt Hendricks, Brandon Bochenski, Paul Martin, Tim Jackman, Marty Sertich, Gino Guyer, Andy Sertich, Tom Gilbert, Jack Hillen, David Backes, Mike Lundin, Alex Goligoski, Brian Lee, Chris Vandevelde, TJ Oshie, Carl Sneep, Kyle Medvec, Ryan McDonagh, Aaron Ness, Jake Gardiner, Nick Leddy, Anders Lee, Ben Hanowski, Kyle Rau, and even this year the srs who stuck around I don't think will end up regretting it: Justin Kloos, Jake Randolph, Dom Toninato, Trevor Olson, Eli May, Sam Wolfe, Will Merchant, Michael Zajac, Jared Thomas, Judd Peterson, etc.

Sats81
Posts: 2733
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:29 am

Post by Sats81 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:54 am

Tigers33 wrote:The DON has had the same stance from Day 1 - if you are ready for the next step than make it, if not get your education. Leaving high school early is different than college, because these kids are still getting a diploma. He is referring to the kids that give up that college degree when maybe they are not quite ready.

By the way how is Schroeder doing with the Canucks?
Doubt he will ever make it to the show. Not skilled enough to be a top 6 forward and not gritty/tough enough to be willing to do the things that 3rd and 4th line forwards have to do to earn their keep in the show. He was "too good" to play his last 2 years at the U though. Remember?

bronzemedal
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:03 pm

Post by bronzemedal » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:28 am

Nanne going to play in the bc league...Leaving high school early for gophers might not return

Reggie
Posts: 864
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:39 pm
Location: Northwoods

Post by Reggie » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:20 pm

pipersniper12 wrote:
Cornermukker wrote:Bischoff
Johnson
Johnson will be in the USHL next year.
Sounds like Bischoff will be in USHL to. Omaha added him to there roster for this year.

rainier
Posts: 1586
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:30 pm
Location: Earth

Post by rainier » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:39 pm

pipersniper12 wrote:
Cornermukker wrote:Bischoff
Johnson
Johnson will be in the USHL next year.
You have a source on this or are you just guessing?

rainier
Posts: 1586
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:30 pm
Location: Earth

Post by rainier » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:43 pm

Reggie wrote:
pipersniper12 wrote:
Cornermukker wrote:Bischoff
Johnson
Johnson will be in the USHL next year.
Sounds like Bischoff will be in USHL to. Omaha added him to there roster for this year.
Players have done this and come back for their senior seasons. I hope both of these guys return for another run.

4thlineproblems
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:31 am

Post by 4thlineproblems » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:53 am

This is such a deep class with many top end players that will play D1 and be impact players there. Its a shame that many will leave but it is all speculation at this point.
Another kid that deserves mention is Alex Johnson from STA. I have only watched him twice this year but seemed to stand out both times. He is very quick and strong for his size. He probably will not be a finalist but deserves mention IMO. 8)

Post Reply