Private School Trash talk thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE »

thestickler07 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:Roseau just won the state title a few years ago..... "Dead"?

Little Moorhead has SEVEN players in the pro ranks with most of those getting time in the NHL. You would think the "Made" would have many more with all the kids they claim just because they went through their doors.

Better go get your kid on the hamster wheel at the "Made".

](*,)
Roseau won back in 06-07, so it was a "long time ago" for most of the younger kids in these programs.
They would have repeated in 07-08 if it wasn't for the cheating, figure skating-diving Hill-Murray Pioneers gooning it up in the semi's.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

MrBoDangles wrote:
thestickler07 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:Roseau just won the state title a few years ago..... "Dead"?

Little Moorhead has SEVEN players in the pro ranks with most of those getting time in the NHL. You would think the "Made" would have many more with all the kids they claim just because they went through their doors.

Better go get your kid on the hamster wheel at the "Made".

](*,)
Roseau won back in 06-07, so it was a "long time ago" for most of the younger kids in these programs.
Roseau state champs in 90' 99' 07'

Hill Murray state champs in 91' 08'

Ya, I'm sure the current kids in these high school programs were poopin' in their Pampers way back in 07'-08'.

:roll:
bump
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

MrBoDangles wrote:Roseau state champs in 90' 99' 07'

Ya, I'm sure the current kids in these high school programs were poopin' in their Pampers way back in 07'-08'.

Perception is reality BoDangles you know this. HM beating a 28-2 Edina team in the finals looks more impressive than Roseau beating a GR squad that didn't even win 20 games.

That coupled with changing demographics, and declining populations/enrollments up on the range have shifted the center of power to the metro for the time being.

When was the last time a northern school beat a metro school in the title game? '99 when the Rams beat Hastings?

A lot has changed since then. Clinton was still in the White House, gas was a $1.17 a gallon, and STA hadn't won a single state title. :lol:
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Regarding comments earlier on STA, keep in mind that it was the committee that decided to stay in A. The Vanelli coaches and players, I believe, had no say in the decision. Before the decision to move up that is.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

thestickler07 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:Roseau state champs in 90' 99' 07'

Perception is reality BoDangles you know this. HM beating a 28-2 Edina team in the finals looks more impressive than Roseau beating a GR squad that didn't even win 20 games.

That coupled with changing demographics, and declining populations/enrollments up on the range have shifted the center of power to the metro for the time being.

When was the last time a northern school beat a metro school in the title game? '99 when the Rams beat Hastings?

A lot has changed since then. Clinton was still in the White House, gas was a $1.17 a gallon, and STA hadn't won a single state title. :lol:
Are you talking change over the last 30 years or are you talking sudden change the last few like the other poster? Yes, Eveleth, Greenway etc declined big time over the last 30+ years because of the slow down on the range..... But to say Roseau, Duluth East, Grand Rapids, Moorhead etc are "dead" in the water and have no chance to compete just because a private school won the title last year? Did you see the upsets of those great DE teams that were favored all year? Roseau was probably the favorite for two years and could have been for three if Ness would have stayed.

The rest of the state must have really thought things were done for when the Northwest Suburban CONFERENCE won 4 0f 5 titles between 2000-2004.

What happened to the metro teams when Roseau beat Grand Rapids? Were the metro teams that unimpressive THAT year? ](*,)

Your STA is going to go for a slide in AA after the sophomore class is gone. Why not play for another east metro All Star team like Hill Murray that has girls....? The sandbagging years for a state A tournament experience at STA are over.

Your perception is nill.
Tenoverpar

s

Post by Tenoverpar »

Why would STA fall from the top just because they are moving classes? If anything the rich will get richer and they become an even better draw for top end players. If they go to Section 3AA, which is where I project, they become an annual STA vs EAGAN sectional rivalry...
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

MrBoDangles wrote:Are you talking change over the last 30 years or are you talking sudden change the last few like the other poster? Yes, Eveleth, Greenway etc declined big time over the last 30+ years because of the slow down on the range..... But to say Roseau, Duluth East, Grand Rapids, Moorhead etc are "dead" in the water and have no chance to compete just because a private school won the title last year? Did you see the upsets of those great DE teams that were favored all year? Roseau was probably the favorite for two years and could have been for three if Ness would have stayed.
I'd agree with the his sentiment that metro teams are gonna run things for awhile, and that trend is already underway.

Good northern teams are still going to come along and compete but the perception of high school hockey today is different, and the "golden" years of Eveleth and the like are gone.

The mystique of northern teams is fading sadly.
MrBoDangles wrote:The rest of the state must have really thought things were done for when the Northwest Suburban CONFERENCE won 4 0f 5 titles between 2000-2004.
Things wax and wane, you know this.

20 years ago Jefferson was running things; now they have gotten to state once in the last decade and finished 6th.

Populations change and Bloomington is aging. The outer exurbs are younger with the numbers.
MrBoDangles wrote:What happened to the metro teams when Roseau beat Grand Rapids? Were the metro teams that unimpressive THAT year?
Any given day...

Pretty standard stuff for sports at any level. One win does not a trend make.
MrBoDangles wrote:Your STA is going to go for a slide in AA after the sophomore class is gone. Why not play for another east metro All Star team like Hill Murray that has girls....? The sandbagging years for a state A tournament experience at STA are over.

Your perception is nill.
Now you're just getting salty.

:lol:

And I thought we had the falling off problem taken care of? We are just going to recruit our way out of it right? :roll:
MrBoDangles

Re: s

Post by MrBoDangles »

Tenoverpar wrote:Why would STA fall from the top just because they are moving classes? If anything the rich will get richer and they become an even better draw for top end players. If they go to Section 3AA, which is where I project, they become an annual STA vs EAGAN sectional rivalry...
Players have gone to STA in recent years for the best odds of making the state tournament.. Even if it meant being in class A. The last few years have been a given. Parents/players banked on the nearly 100% odds.

They should be in the same section as Hill. :D

:idea:
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Tenoverpar wrote:Why would STA fall from the top just because they are moving classes? If anything the rich will get richer and they become an even better draw for top end players. If they go to Section 3AA, which is where I project, they become an annual STA vs EAGAN sectional rivalry...
Well, the STA/CDH game is the one that will sell the most tickets, so hopefully a few of the Eagan residents drive down the road and enroll in St Paul...
MrBoDangles wrote:
Players have gone to STA in recent years for the best odds of making the state tournament.. Even if it meant being in class A. The last few years have been a given. Parents/players banked on the nearly 100% odds.

Yup, that's the only reason parents have sent their kid there. :lol:

Oh you're right, just forget about geography when assigning sections now...
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
Well, the STA/CDH game is the one that will sell the most tickets, so hopefully a few of the Eagan residents drive down the road and enroll in St Paul...
MrBoDangles wrote:

Yup, that's the only reason parents have sent their kid there. :lol:

Oh you're right, just forget about geography when assigning sections now...
Yes, it is the main reason.

Did they forget geography when assigning them to the same conference......................................................................................?
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Elk River and FL are in 7AA. Hill & St Thomas are much closer.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

thestickler07 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:Are you talking change over the last 30 years or are you talking sudden change the last few like the other poster? Yes, Eveleth, Greenway etc declined big time over the last 30+ years because of the slow down on the range..... But to say Roseau, Duluth East, Grand Rapids, Moorhead etc are "dead" in the water and have no chance to compete just because a private school won the title last year? Did you see the upsets of those great DE teams that were favored all year? Roseau was probably the favorite for two years and could have been for three if Ness would have stayed.
I'd agree with the his sentiment that metro teams are gonna run things for awhile, and that trend is already underway.

Good northern teams are still going to come along and compete but the perception of high school hockey today is different, and the "golden" years of Eveleth and the like are gone.

The mystique of northern teams is fading sadly.
MrBoDangles wrote:The rest of the state must have really thought things were done for when the Northwest Suburban CONFERENCE won 4 0f 5 titles between 2000-2004.
Things wax and wane, you know this.

20 years ago Jefferson was running things; now they have gotten to state once in the last decade and finished 6th.

Populations change and Bloomington is aging. The outer exurbs are younger with the numbers.
MrBoDangles wrote:What happened to the metro teams when Roseau beat Grand Rapids? Were the metro teams that unimpressive THAT year?
Any given day...

Pretty standard stuff for sports at any level. One win does not a trend make.
MrBoDangles wrote:Your STA is going to go for a slide in AA after the sophomore class is gone. Why not play for another east metro All Star team like Hill Murray that has girls....? The sandbagging years for a state A tournament experience at STA are over.

Your perception is nill.
Now you're just getting salty.

And I thought we had the falling off problem taken care of? We are just going to recruit our way out of it right? :roll:
Sounds like you agree with me..

With STA going AA and with other AA privates coming on the scene you'll actually find more balance in the south metro..
I'm wondering what program will become the new STA in class A, Providence Academy?
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

MrBoDangles wrote:Sounds like you agree with me..

With STA going AA and with other AA privates coming on the scene you'll actually find more balance in the south metro..
I'm wondering what program will become the new STA in class A, Providence Academy?
Providence has a chance.

Totino will still be good.

SPA just hired a former STA assistant, although I don't know how much success he'll have at the other school of Randolph.

Breck goes without saying.
HShockeywatcher

MrBoDangles wrote:Did they forget geography when assigning them to the same conference......................................................................................?
Schools don't get assigned to conferences ](*,)
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

I'll be interested to see where STA goes section-wise though.

Conventional wisdom says the only way they wouldn't be in 3 is a major section shakeup in 2-6.
HShockeywatcher

thestickler07 wrote:I'll be interested to see where STA goes section-wise though.

Conventional wisdom says the only way they wouldn't be in 3 is a major section shakeup in 2-6.
Very true. I'm looking forward to the STA/CDH section games.

AA sections are pretty well organized geographically speaking. A, not so much, but AA are.

It would be really tough for CDH, Eagan and STA not to end up in the same section anyway...
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:Did they forget geography when assigning them to the same conference......................................................................................?
Schools don't get assigned to conferences ](*,)
What are you even saying?

They assigned themselves to the conference if anything..... With STA...

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

I'm really looking forward to the STA - Hill Murray section games. Epic!

:D
stpaul

STA - HM

Post by stpaul »

Actually both STA & HM did get assigned to the CSC by the MSHSL. The old St. Paul Suburban was disbanded for the purpose of forcing out Hastings, Woodbury and Park. They were thought to be too big and powerful for the remaining 5 schools (NSP, Tartan, Simley, Sibley & SSP). Those 5 wanted to add Richfield, Mahtomedi & Fridley to make 8. They got Richfield & Mahtomedi but the MSHSL placed STA back with them & later added HM. HM had been in the TC Suburban East with WBL, etc. The TCSE was reformed into the SE with the additions of Hastings, Woodbury and Park. The rumor at the time was that SSP was behind the scheme to get rid of those schools to return to hockey glory. It all backfired when they ended up with HM & STA. STA was no power at the time but it was clear they would be when they hired the Vannelli's and built the arena.

PS - I would love to see STA placed in 4AA with HM. It's already become a great rivalry. It would be even better if they met in Sections.
Last edited by stpaul on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

HShockeywatcher wrote: It would be really tough for CDH, Eagan and STA not to end up in the same section anyway...

STA and Eagan are close, but the Burnsville school district actually includes a good chunk of the City of Eagan, and they're in a different section. You have to draw section line boundaries somewhere...drop one on top of 494 and you'd separate STA and CDH from Eagan.

Not that I'd whine too much if the three end up together. :wink:
MrBoDangles

Re: STA - HM

Post by MrBoDangles »

stpaul wrote:Actually both STA & HM did get assigned to the CSC by the MSHSL. The old St. Paul Suburban was disbanded for the purpose of forcing out Hastings, Woodbury and Park. They were though to be too big and powerful for the remaining 5 schools (NSP, Tartan, Simley, Sibley & SSP). Those 5 wanted to add Richfield, Mahtomedi & Fridley to make 8. They got Richfield & Mahtomedi but the MSHSL placed STA back with them & later added HM. HM had been in the TC Suburban East with WBL, etc. The TCSE was reformed into the SE with the additions of Hastings, Woodbury and Park. The rumor at the time was that SSP was behind the scheme to get rid of those schools to return to hockey glory. It all backfired when they ended up with HM & STA. STA was no power at the time but it was clear they would be when they hired the Vannelli's and built the arena.

PS - I would love to see STA placed in 4AA with HM. It's already become a great rivalry. It would be even better if they met in Sections.
Yep
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

stpaul wrote:Actually both STA & HM did get assigned to the CSC by the MSHSL. The old St. Paul Suburban was disbanded for the purpose of forcing out Hastings, Woodbury and Park. They were though to be too big and powerful for the remaining 5 schools (NSP, Tartan, Simley, Sibley & SSP). Those 5 wanted to add Richfield, Mahtomedi & Fridley to make 8. They got Richfield & Mahtomedi but the MSHSL placed STA back with them & later added HM. HM had been in the TC Suburban East with WBL, etc. The TCSE was reformed into the SE with the additions of Hastings, Woodbury and Park. The rumor at the time was that SSP was behind the scheme to get rid of those schools to return to hockey glory. It all backfired when they ended up with HM & STA. STA was no power at the time but it was clear they would be when they hired the Vannelli's and built the arena.

The good ole St. Paul Suburban.

Would like to see STA opt up in everything and make a move to the SEC if they were accepted.

Here's a handy dandy section map for AA hockey.
http://mshsl.org/mshsl/googlemap_new.as ... &dclass=AA

The sections are divided pretty well with highways being pretty reliable borders for most.

East of 35E and south of 494=3AA.
East of 35W and north of 494=4AA.

I have a feeling Cretin would get moved to 4AA before STA would, but who knows. What MSHSL meeting decides sections, and when is it?
gardetto

Post by gardetto »

PS - I would love to see STA placed in 4AA with HM. It's already become a great rivalry. It would be even better if they met in Sections.[/quote]

Yep[/quote]

Or are you really saying that way only 1 of them can make it to state and you would never see a STA VS HM for a state championship. because the reality is if they are put in 2 different sections, this will happen.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

gardetto wrote:PS - I would love to see STA placed in 4AA with HM. It's already become a great rivalry. It would be even better if they met in Sections.
Yep[/quote]

Or are you really saying that way only 1 of them can make it to state and you would never see a STA VS HM for a state championship. because the reality is if they are put in 2 different sections, this will happen.[/quote]

Sounds like you're leading the charge for an all private school section or tournament if this for sure "would happen".

I'll follow your lead!
OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE »

Put the pansies in 8AA.