Private School Trash talk thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BP

Post by BP »

truehockeyfan wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:
OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:They are considering a separate State Tournament for all Private Schools in 2014.
Won't happen.

They'll make all private schools play AA before that happens.

8)
Not a bad idea. It would be an interesting concept to make all the private schools play AA. The competition level in A would be significantly down. In my opinion, there are about 10 A schools that could compete competitively with most AA schools. Taking the private schools out of A would truly make A the JV game.

I wouldn't say 10, more like 5-6 at very most. STA, Breck, Totino, Cathedral, Marshall, Blake, and Lourdes. STA and Breck would be the only teams to have close games with the top AA teams.
IHEA

Post by IHEA »

truehockeyfan wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:
OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:They are considering a separate State Tournament for all Private Schools in 2014.
Won't happen.

8)
Not a bad idea. It would be an interesting concept to make all the private schools play AA. The competition level in A would be significantly down. In my opinion, there are about 10 A schools that could compete competitively with most AA schools. Taking the private schools out of A would truly make A the JV game.
I'd add to this that 100% of the A school students have enough brains to not write "compete competitively" :wink:
rainier

Post by rainier »

BP wrote:
truehockeyfan wrote:
PuckU126 wrote: Won't happen.

8)

I wouldn't say 10, more like 5-6 at very most. STA, Breck, Totino, Cathedral, Marshall, Blake, and Lourdes. STA and Breck would be the only teams to have close games with the top AA teams.
I would add Hermantown to this list. Not so sure about Lourdes, Marshall, or Blake.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

sparty wrote:Just playing hockey is getting too expensive. Only families who can afford private school will be able to afford hockey anyway. It's turning into a rich kids game.
They give full rides to the poor and talented. :D
Carl Racki

Post by Carl Racki »

How do you transfer from one private school to another and play varsity?
Do private schools have boundaries etc...
I know divorce would work...
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

rainier wrote:
I would add Hermantown to this list. Not so sure about Lourdes, Marshall, or Blake.
You weren't listening! We're talking about private A's that could compete at AA.

The best A's actually do play a lot of AAs in the regular season. This year, STA plays Hill Murray (they're in the same conference), BSM, and CDH for example.

Which is why I say it's people who only watch the state tournament who complain endlessly about this topic. Get your butts off the couch sometime before March, and you see plenty of great AA-A matches that keep the sandbagging privates honest.

Interesting that you bring up Hermantown specifically. In contrast to the metro privates, H-town rarely plays AA teams. Grand Rapids maybe once a year. And then it's probably a carefully scripted Hockey Day match-up on outdoor ice.

Probably Hermantown parents are too proud. I saw H-town play Eden Prairie a few years ago, and I've never seen a bigger crowd of foul-mouthed cry-babies in one place. Oops, now I'm turning this into a Northern public-school-bashing thread! My bad.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

Shinbone_News wrote:The best A's actually do play a lot of AAs in the regular season. This year, STA plays Hill Murray (they're in the same conference), BSM, and CDH for example.
The best A teams do play more AA teams compared to most class A teams; however, STA pretty much plays a AA schedule.

STA's 2012-2013 Schedule

Note that STA is again in the Schwan Cup Gold Division, where they first play Edina.

Number of games to play AA teams on STA's schedule: ≥11

Notable Class AA teams on schedule:
Minnetonka
Cretin-Derham Hall
Hill-Murray (Twice - CSC)
Edina (Schwan Cup - may play more AA teams)
BSM

Notable Class A teams on schedule:
Rochester Lourdes
Mahtomedi (Twice - CSC)
Duluth Marshall
Breck
Totino-Grace

This is just my personal opinion. If there was a private school team to gripe about, it would be STA (which obviously people have been already). They've had a solid schedule like this for a few years now, and they still "opt-down" to Class A come post-season play.

Lets try to compensate with this matter. Not ALL private school teams need to opt-up because not all dominate their competitors. Lets all at least point out the private school teams that could make the transition and NOT make blanket statements about ALL private school teams.

8)
The Puck
LGW
BP

Post by BP »

Shinbone_News wrote:
rainier wrote:
You weren't listening! We're talking about private A's that could compete at AA.

The best A's actually do play a lot of AAs in the regular season. This year, STA plays Hill Murray (they're in the same conference), BSM, and CDH for example.

Which is why I say it's people who only watch the state tournament who complain endlessly about this topic. Get your butts off the couch sometime before March, and you see plenty of great AA-A matches that keep the sandbagging privates honest.

Interesting that you bring up Hermantown specifically. In contrast to the metro privates, H-town rarely plays AA teams. Grand Rapids maybe once a year. And then it's probably a carefully scripted Hockey Day match-up on outdoor ice.

Probably Hermantown parents are too proud. I saw H-town play Eden Prairie a few years ago, and I've never seen a bigger crowd of foul-mouthed cry-babies in one place. Oops, now I'm turning this into a Northern public-school-bashing thread! My bad.

Amen on Hermantown. They have been in the championship game for 3 years in a row and Plante complains about STA and Breck. Maybe they should move up seeing they only lose 1-3 games a year against A teams.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

I'm starting my letter writing campaign to Zahr and Kenney over at the Academy to get STA opted up in everything next year.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Hermentown is playing AA bantams and Pee-wee.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

BP wrote:
Shinbone_News wrote:
rainier wrote:

Amen on Hermantown. They have been in the championship game for 3 years in a row and Plante complains about STA and Breck. Maybe they should move up seeing they only lose 1-3 games a year against A teams.
What level are STA Bantams and Peewees Playing this year? Oh sorry I forgot, STA does not have an Armature Hockey Program… They pull kids from all over the Twin Cities Metro Area. Hermantown has a graduating class size of about 75-80 boys. Hermantown’s success is due to its Armature Hockey Program. STA success is due to everybody else’s Armature Hockey Programs. Trash talking H-Town or any other small school program on this thread shows just how screwed up you are. STA had 9 players in the Elite League and the rest in Elite D, more than any other program A or AA. Move up you sandbagging trophy chasing pusses.
Goalie-Dad

Post by Goalie-Dad »

truehockeyfan wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:
Won't happen.

8)
There are many out state, Class A schools that will never see the Xcel arena as long as the private metro school play class A.

This is about the kids.

Some kid from Park Rapids does not care if they are A or AA, if he has a chance to play in the state it would be a memory for his lifetime.
BP

Post by BP »

pekyman wrote:
BP wrote:
Shinbone_News wrote: You weren't listening! We're talking about private A's that could compete at AA.

What level are STA Bantams and Peewees Playing this year? Oh sorry I forgot, STA does not have an Armature Hockey Program… They pull kids from all over the Twin Cities Metro Area. Hermantown has a graduating class size of about 75-80 boys. Hermantown’s success is due to its Armature Hockey Program. STA success is due to everybody else’s Armature Hockey Programs. Trash talking H-Town or any other small school program on this thread shows just how screwed up you are. STA had 9 players in the Elite League and the rest in Elite D, more than any other program A or AA. Move up you sandbagging trophy chasing pusses.

What does Armature mean??
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

BP wrote:
pekyman wrote:
BP wrote:
What level are STA Bantams and Peewees Playing this year? Oh sorry I forgot, STA does not have an Amateur Hockey Program… They pull kids from all over the Twin Cities Metro Area. Hermantown has a graduating class size of about 75-80 boys. Hermantown’s success is due to its Amateur Hockey Program. STA success is due to everybody else’s Hockey Programs. Trash talking H-Town or any other small school program on this thread shows just how screwed up you are. STA had 9 players in the Elite League and the rest in Elite D, more than any other program A or AA. Move up you sandbagging trophy chasing pusses.

Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

BP wrote:
pekyman wrote:
BP wrote:

I think "pussies" is preferred grammatically over "pusses"
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Anybody have a list of Where the kids skated growing up ? From Hill/Benild/'St.Thomas/Breck ??
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

BP wrote:What does Armature mean??
ar·ma·ture noun \ˈär-mə-ˌchu̇r, -chər, -ˌtyu̇r, -ˌtu̇r\
Definition of ARMATURE
1: an organ or structure (as teeth or thorns) for offense or defense
2a : a piece of soft iron or steel that connects the poles of a magnet or of adjacent magnets
b : a usually rotating part of an electric machine (as a generator or motor) which consists essentially of coils of wire around a metal core and in which electric current is induced or in which the input current interacts with a magnetic field to produce torque
c : the movable part of an electromagnetic device (as a loudspeaker)
d : a framework used by a sculptor to support a figure being modeled in a plastic material
e : framework 1a <events that serve as the armature of the book>
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
puckhead58

Post by puckhead58 »

You would be hard pressed to find another school the size of Hemantown in the state that is fielding youth teams (Bantam & PeeWee) at AA, A, & B levels. Doesn't seem to me that they are backing away from competition. The talent in these smaller towns waxes & wanes year to year (as opposed to the privates that get to cherry pick year after year). Schools like Hermantown are exactly what Class A was intended for. Go on back to bashing private schools.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

puckhead58 wrote:You would be hard pressed to find another school the size of Hemantown in the state that is fielding youth teams (Bantam & PeeWee) at AA, A, & B levels. Doesn't seem to me that they are backing away from competition. The talent in these smaller towns waxes & wanes year to year (as opposed to the privates that get to cherry pick year after year). Schools like Hermantown are exactly what Class A was intended for. Go on back to bashing private schools.
As far as Hermantown's strength of schedule goes....they have upgraded their holiday tournament this year. Instead of going to TRF and playing Crookston or some ND team, they'll be down in SSP, and potentially matched up against Anoka and/or Eagan.
eastsideguy

Post by eastsideguy »

almostashappy wrote:
puckhead58 wrote:You would be hard pressed to find another school the size of Hemantown in the state that is fielding youth teams (Bantam & PeeWee) at AA, A, & B levels. Doesn't seem to me that they are backing away from competition. The talent in these smaller towns waxes & wanes year to year (as opposed to the privates that get to cherry pick year after year). Schools like Hermantown are exactly what Class A was intended for. Go on back to bashing private schools.
As far as Hermantown's strength of schedule goes....they have upgraded their holiday tournament this year. Instead of going to TRF and playing Crookston or some ND team, they'll be down in SSP, and potentially matched up against Anoka and/or Eagan.
thats impressive
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

Hermantown is so great they should be in their own division -- A and 1/2 -- then they could be undefeated every year and win the state tournament uncontested and then they'd have nothing to complain about every year.

They want no competition. They should have what they want.

Sucks losing that last game every year to a metro private, I know.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

It's very far off from being an Odyssey of the Mind meeting around here.

:lol:
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

karl, are we able to gold plate these words?

=D>
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

puckhead58 wrote:The talent in these smaller towns waxes & wanes year to year (as opposed to the privates that get to cherry pick year after year).
Not true - the privates do a better job cherry picking in some years than others, so their talent waxes & wanes also.
truehockeyfan

Post by truehockeyfan »

I have no idea what the actual numbers of transfers are in the Duluth area but I would suspect that there is at least some open enrollment in the Duluth schools.

Did people give Duluth Marshal a bad rep when they were dominant a couple years back?

:?: