Northern Educate Are They Having A Varsity ??

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

starmvp

Post by starmvp » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:02 am

scorekeeper wrote:Not just for high school either. College as well. Here is the Harvard ad ...

Continuing education online

A Harvard education accessible to everyone.
Take evening or online courses. Or pursue a bachelor’s or master’s degree part time.

Online education must be gaining serious credibility, high school and college, if Harvard is promoting it.
You are talking about students who have already gotten in to Harvard because their HIGH SCHOOL education was most likely a strong in-school education. They may need to do online courses AT HARVARD because they are busy with their internship at Goldman Sachs.

scorekeeper

Post by scorekeeper » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:10 am

starmvp wrote:
scorekeeper wrote:Not just for high school either. College as well. Here is the Harvard ad ...

Take evening or online courses. Or pursue a bachelor’s or master’s degree part time.

Online education must be gaining serious credibility, high school and college, if Harvard is promoting it.
You are talking about students who have already gotten in to Harvard because their HIGH SCHOOL education was most likely a strong in-school education. They may need to do online courses AT HARVARD because they are busy with their internship at Goldman Sachs.
Not true. I just signed up today and am now starting my Harvard education online. I'll let you know how it goes.

starmvp

Post by starmvp » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:11 am

scorekeeper wrote:
starmvp wrote:

Not true. I just signed up today and am now starting my Harvard education online. I'll let you know how it goes.
Let me know!

scorekeeper

Post by scorekeeper » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:27 am

starmvp wrote:
scorekeeper wrote:
starmvp wrote:
scorekeeper wrote:
Let me know!
signup was easy enough. Now I have to pass a Test of Critical Reading & Writing Skills. It's a 60 minute timed test which can be done any time between 4am and 11 pm any day. why not. i have some time to kill this morning.

i'm just going to dive right in. wish me luck.

Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:37 am

BP wrote:
old goalie85 wrote:How did they do last night.
Lost 7-2 to Providence. Shots were 48-23 I think. All on HockeyHub.
To get this thread back on track, I notice that Achiever has only 7 skaters rostered, both at the Hub and on the game sheet. http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/roster/show/ ... ason=79765

Can this be possible? To play a full high school hockey game with two forward lines and ONE defenseman? Maybe they put both goalies out there!

scorekeeper

Post by scorekeeper » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:43 am

starmvp wrote:the online classes on that page can be more directly applied to students who are 4.0 students at their high school and chose to take ADDITIONAL courses that are not offered at their school.
There are some eclectic classes to be sure, but the lions share of the classes listed are offered at many - if not most - high schools.

Furthermore, the Harvard online high school classes are not restricted to 4.0 students. They may well indeed be financially prohibitive, but they also offer grants and scholarships. Bottom line - they take everyone and anyone. From their website:

As a secondary school or homeschooled student, you can enroll in courses to earn credit toward high school graduation, prepare for college, or study a subject unavailable at your school. No application is required.

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/prospe ... l-students

For post secondary it's just as easy. I just signed up myself. It took me about 5 minutes. It took some basic info and had me write a 60 minute test on reading comprehension and writing. Some multiple choice questions and an essay. I am now good to go at Harvard. Just as simple as that. There actually is some ccourses I have been wanting to take and they do offer them. Unfortunately, the ones I am interested in have September start dates, so my Harvard education may be on hold until the fall of 2013.

Even the Masters degree I was looking at isn't difficult to get into. It requires just a 3.0 average in preadmission courses to go along with a regionally accredited bachelor’s degree.
http://www.extension.harvard.edu/degree ... /admission

Anyways, I've hi-jacked this thread enough on the relative easy access of a Harvard Education, thanks to the magic of online learning.

Back to the issue at hand.

It's fair to say that Northern Educate faces challenges in integrating it's hockey academy in the Twin Cities, but many would argue that the education aspect isn't one of them. In that regard, they may be cutting edge.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:50 am

Only lists seven, but I don't see a kid that I thought was on there. I bet No parents complain about ice time. Looks like it is going to be a tough road. Sounds like a great place to play goalie.

scorekeeper

Post by scorekeeper » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:53 am

Shinbone_News wrote:

To get this thread back on track, I notice that Achiever has only 7 skaters rostered, both at the Hub and on the game sheet. http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/roster/show/ ... ason=79765

Can this be possible? To play a full high school hockey game with two forward lines and ONE defenseman? Maybe they put both goalies out there!
That's not accurate. I know kids who played in the game who aren't listed on that gamesheet. Early season kinks.

scorekeeper

Post by scorekeeper » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:55 am

old goalie85 wrote:Only lists seven, but I don't see a kid that I thought was on there. I bet No parents complain about ice time. Looks like it is going to be a tough road. Sounds like a great place to play goalie.
It would be, except that they have a surplus of goalies and a shortage of skaters. I think they have at least 4 goalies of high school age. Maybe more

BP

Post by BP » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:36 pm

old goalie85 wrote:Only lists seven, but I don't see a kid that I thought was on there. I bet No parents complain about ice time. Looks like it is going to be a tough road. Sounds like a great place to play goalie.

They had 7 forwards, 6 defenseman, and 3 goalies last night. Issue most likely is roster isn't entered, so only included players who had a point or penalty and had to manually enter them in the system.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:09 pm

Team Thompson over Richfield. Congrats !!!!!

scorekeeper

Post by scorekeeper » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:22 pm

old goalie85 wrote:Team Thompson over Richfield. Congrats !!!!!
And Bubba with the hat trick (3G, 1A). This kid is a '99 birthday. 7th or 8th grade. Congrats Bubba Thompson!

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:21 am

Nice to see big brother enjoying success as well !!!

imlisteningtothefnsong

Northern Educate

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:52 am

Thanks OG!

I was "volunteered" to do the score sheet for game one... That should clarify the earlier confusion on 7 players. I am sure they could not read my writing. Most likely will not get that duty again!

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:18 am

They just couldn't find you before the game last night to do thescore sheet.[next door] :lol: :lol: Won't be long and people will be hating on the Aces like they do Hill. I want to get out to a game. Who is on the Bench. Travis ? Steve ? I know thehead coach is there. Who helps ?

MinnGirlsHockey

Post by MinnGirlsHockey » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:50 pm

scorekeeper wrote:
It would be, except that they have a surplus of goalies and a shortage of skaters. I think they have at least 4 goalies of high school age. Maybe more
With the numbers apparently growing overall and at the high school level, do you know of any plans for a JV team (and/or a Girls high school team) next year?

Also, it looks like the vast majority of this year's rostered players are upperclassmen. Apparently the MSHSL allowed these players to play Varsity even though I assume most of them transferred there before this school year (at least I can't imagine they all moved to Eagan!). Do you know what rationale was used to allow this and was this a one-time-only allowance/exclusion to the MSHSL transfer rule? (Maybe because it was the team's first year? No JV available to play on? something else?) I'm not passing judgment either way, I'm just curious....

Whopper2

Post by Whopper2 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:22 pm

Hockey program is good. School program is weak. Remember most colleges require a 26 on entrance exams before they offer any aid.Lets wait and see how they measure up. For the kids sake i hope it works because theres not one kid there that will ever make a dime playing hockey. Invest in a good school its money better spent.

gardetto

Post by gardetto » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:59 pm

MinnGirlsHockey wrote:
scorekeeper wrote:
With the numbers apparently growing overall and at the high school level, do you know of any plans for a JV team (and/or a Girls high school team) next year?

Also, it looks like the vast majority of this year's rostered players are upperclassmen. Apparently the MSHSL allowed these players to play Varsity even though I assume most of them transferred there before this school year (at least I can't imagine they all moved to Eagan!). Do you know what rationale was used to allow this and was this a one-time-only allowance/exclusion to the MSHSL transfer rule? (Maybe because it was the team's first year? No JV available to play on? something else?) I'm not passing judgment either way, I'm just curious....
Some went there last year and some moved this year,

oldschoolpuckster

Post by oldschoolpuckster » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:10 pm

" because theres not one kid there that will ever make a dime playing hockey."

Couldn't the same be said about 99% of all kids playing hockey?!?!

Give the program some time to grow, I would bet they become a top program in the next few years. They have a kid that is #4 in the state for goals scored (18 goals) not bad.

If my kids were still young, I would give it a look. Seems like a pretty cool environment to be a kid. Hockey every day!! At the end of the day, all that matters is what is best for you and your family. Let the "hater's hate" and don't worry about them.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:27 am

Always will be haters. We [my family] have freinds that love it. I think everyone knows it's not for all. Seems to work out great for them. It's a good thing that they have a varsity this year. I remember when all Steve talked about was AAA this and AAA [Tier 1] that. Sounds like they[Yuro/Woodcroft] have realized that the metro has a huge market. And we have some very good non-AAA[winter] players. Happy new year and good luck NEEHS !!!!!

MinnGirlsHockey

Post by MinnGirlsHockey » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:38 pm

gardetto wrote:Some went there last year and some moved this year,
But I had thought that 2012-13 is actually the first year of the "Achiever Academy" private school (based on earlier posts), even though the hockey/charter school program began last year. For those that attended last year, maybe the MSHSL allowed that to count and did not consider it a school change in 2012 when they started up "Achiever Academy" last fall?

Maybe it shouldn't, but it still seems unlikely to me that all 13 of their upperclassmen would be move-in's and/or were there last year. Especially since it was reported that the program began last year with only 8 kids (and that was for K-12, not just the high school boys).

Anyway, I'm not trying to complain - they are taking some lumps as expected as a young team. Just trying to figure out how they got all these players eligible when many/most must've transferred in during the past year....