Section 3A (2012-13 Season)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins Section 3A this year (2012-13)?

Hutch
27%
Marshall
15%
New Ulm Area
21%
Windom
2%
LDC
3%
Luverne
32%

Total votes: 66

CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:53 pm

IMO this will be how the section seedlings will go tomorrow.

1. Luverne
2. New Ulm
3. Litch
4. Marshall
5. Windom
6. Hutch
7. Redwood
8. Worthington
9. Fairmont

This would be great if it works out this way. This would guarantee a Southwest Conf. team would make the section final vs. a non Southwest Conf. team. [-o<

notSoFast

Post by notSoFast » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:42 pm

CherryPicker99 wrote:IMO this will be how the section seedlings will go tomorrow.

1. Luverne
2. New Ulm
3. Litch
4. Marshall
5. Windom
6. Hutch
7. Redwood
8. Worthington
9. Fairmont

This would be great if it works out this way. This would guarantee a Southwest Conf. team would make the section final vs. a non Southwest Conf. team. [-o<
I do not expect Luverne to get that easy of a path to the section finals.

CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:15 pm

It could happen. This is the first year in this section this would actually be legit. How nice would it be to have Hutch, Litch and New Ulm battle it out to get to the section final with only one of the teams in the final?

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:24 pm

CherryPicker99 wrote:IMO this will be how the section seedlings will go tomorrow.

1. Luverne
2. New Ulm
3. Litch
4. Marshall
5. Windom
6. Hutch
7. Redwood
8. Worthington
9. Fairmont

I think this is accurate, hopefully the 3A coaches punish New Ulm for their cowardly, yet brilliant decision to avoid Luverne. Luverne had two bad nights this season. One came in a rivalry game that can always go either way, and the other was a stunner on a long road trip.
For those saying that being the number one seed doesnt matter are foolish. I think the cliff in this section is from 3 to 4. Being the one seed puts you on the right side of who you play being over that cliff. Also, as new2coaching pointed out, there is an in game strategy advantage to being the one seed.
Interested to see what the coaches decide.

dcklong101

Post by dcklong101 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:13 am

notTONIGHT wrote:

1. Luverne
2. New Ulm
3. Litch
4. Marshall
5. Windom
6. Hutch
7. Redwood
8. Worthington
9. Fairmont

I agree with these seedings besides Windom at the 5 seed and Hutch at the 6 seed. those two teams will be flipped around with hutch having the 5 seed in my mind.

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:55 am

Still have not heard one piece of logic as to why Hutch would be seeded ahead of Windom. Can anyone sustain that argument?

Gretzky9

Post by Gretzky9 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:11 am

notTONIGHT wrote:Still have not heard one piece of logic as to why Hutch would be seeded ahead of Windom. Can anyone sustain that argument?
I think this is pretty straight forward. Hutch is a more talented team. Throw out records because you can't compare them. I have seen both play twice.
Windom agains Luverne and Marshall, Hutch against LS/SP and Luverne. Common team look was Luverne.....and Windom looked much worse than Hutch. Hutch dominated LS/SP while LS/SP dominated Windom.
Both games I saw Windom I was totally unimpressed and couldn't figure out how Janssen has so many points other than playing patsies. Hutch meanwhile has some very skilled players...only problems they have is they take way too many penalties and their goaltending suck.
I am in no way affiliated with Hutch so don't take my take as bias in any way. Just stating my opinion based on seeing both teams play.

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:21 am

Pretty convenient for the 5 win Hutch squad to throw out the record eh? Isnt that the core purpose for seedings? Evaluate a regular season schedule and performance and establish how that stacks up for a posteason seed amongst the other teams? I understand how you can have a feeling that hutch is better than windom, I even agree with you. Hutch is a better team than Windom. But thats not what the seedings are about. Hutch has been dismal all season long.

Gretzky9

Post by Gretzky9 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:59 am

notTONIGHT wrote:Pretty convenient for the 5 win Hutch squad to throw out the record eh? Isnt that the core purpose for seedings? Evaluate a regular season schedule and performance and establish how that stacks up for a posteason seed amongst the other teams? I understand how you can have a feeling that hutch is better than windom, I even agree with you. Hutch is a better team than Windom. But thats not what the seedings are about. Hutch has been dismal all season long.
I stand corrected. I keep losing myself in "ranking based on who is better" and overlooked your question on seeding. I agree Hutch can't be seeded higher as they chose their own schedule. Sorry about that.

computerguy

3a

Post by computerguy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:25 pm

As you can see, there are a few people on here that must have nothing to do but hang out on the computer. They think they know everything and it is getting hard to read. For their sake their beloved cardinals better make it to state. They seem to have already made plans to head to st.paul because they beat Princeton and have 20 wins. The number 1 seed does not automatically get you to st.paul either. I think notTonight and new2coachin need to start a new thread it could be called: I hate new ulm or please seed luverne #1 because we beat Princeton.

notTONIGHT

Re: 3a

Post by notTONIGHT » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:56 pm

computerguy wrote:As you can see, there are a few people on here that must have nothing to do but hang out on the computer. They think they know everything and it is getting hard to read. For their sake their beloved cardinals better make it to state. They seem to have already made plans to head to st.paul because they beat Princeton and have 20 wins. The number 1 seed does not automatically get you to st.paul either. I think notTonight and new2coachin need to start a new thread it could be called: I hate new ulm or please seed luverne #1 because we beat Princeton.
What do you think new2coachin, should we do it? These insults just sting so much...

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:06 pm

Official Seeds
1. Luverne
2. New Ulm
3. Litch
4. Marshall
5. Windom
6. Hutch
7. RWV
8. Worthington
9. Fairmont

hutchtostate

Post by hutchtostate » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:07 pm

Biggest winner in the seedings - HUTCH

By just getting the #6, they will have an easy win over Litch, bring it to New Ulm and then show up Luverne - that is, if they can get past Fairmont or Worthington :lol:

hutchtostate

Post by hutchtostate » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:11 pm

notTONIGHT wrote:
computerguy wrote:As you can see, there are a few people on here that must have nothing to do but hang out on the computer. They think they know everything and it is getting hard to read. For their sake their beloved cardinals better make it to state. They seem to have already made plans to head to st.paul because they beat Princeton and have 20 wins. The number 1 seed does not automatically get you to st.paul either. I think notTonight and new2coachin need to start a new thread it could be called: I hate new ulm or please seed luverne #1 because we beat Princeton.
What do you think new2coachin, should we do it? These insults just sting so much...
Nah, just get a real job. or a real life. or meet each other at the local establishment and live your glory days

CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:15 pm

Biggest winner...not Hutch but Luverne.

Hutch, Litch and New Ulm are three of the four best teams in the section. They will need to battle against each other to make the section final while Luverne will need to play Windom or Marshall to make it.

jeffpv

Cards

Post by jeffpv » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:20 pm

As a SW guy from long ago (Jr Gold days!), I would love to see Luverne make it to state. Go Cardinals!

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:34 pm

hutchtostate wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:
Nah, just get a real job. or a real life. or meet each other at the local establishment and live your glory days
ZING!

p_cku

Post by p_cku » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:34 pm

Luverne Players and Parents you better wake up and smell the coffee as they say. If you think for one minute it's going to be an easy ride to the Section 3A Finals you have learned nothing this season. You still need to earn it playoffs everyone is 0-0.

If Luverne doesn't t come to play they will be watching the Section 3A Finals not playing in them. Worthington/Farirmont, and Marshall/Windom are going to give you everything they have and more. You better be READY PLAY every shift, every second of every game!

p_cku

Post by p_cku » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:41 pm

1. Luverne
2. New Ulm
3. Litch
4. Marshall
5. Windom
6. Hutch
7. Redwood
8. Worthington
9. Fairmont

Excellent prediction you must know Section 3A well.

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:30 pm

Heard Windom and Hutch tied, and Windom won the coin toss for the seeding advantage. Tight season in 3A.

CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:43 am

First round of the Section 3A tournament starts tomorrow. Here are my predictions.

Tuesday First Round
Worthington over Fairmont

Thursday Quaterfinals
Luverne over Worthington
Windom over Marshall (Both games between these two teams have been 1 goal games. Could go either way)
Hutch over Litch (Hutch loses first meeting in OT but won second meeting 6-3)
New Ulm over Redwood

Should be a fun Section to watch this year. The top six teams all have a good chance of winning.

Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:01 am

OK, probably the weakest section in all of high school hockey, but it's still interesting.

E.G. I can't figure out how Luverne gets the top seed here. They don't play anywhere near the tougher schedule of New Ulm, and it seems from a quick read of the tea leaves that New Ulm kinda had some down games against weak common opponents, but competed well against much better teams than Luverne ever faces. Dodge County appears to be the tie-breaker -- Beat Nulm twice, lost to Luverne twice?

Save your hate, Luverne lovers. I'd like to hear from objective third parties like myself, speculations on why Luverne gets the top seed. I have to think Nulm gets the nod for being tempered by a harder schedule, not to mention plenty of previous trips. But good for Luverne if they can make good on the top seed.

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:22 am

Tuesday's Tilt matches Fairmont and Worthington.

Both squads have had tough seasons. Worthington has the regular season advantage winning both times. The difference for Fairmont could be Colton Cunning. He has been peppered with shots all season long. If he gets hot, Worthington could have trouble. Look for Levi Leach, and Andrew Johnson to lead the scoring push for Worthington.
The talent may not be plentiful in this game, but the passion will be. Good luck to both squads!

CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:09 pm

Shinbone_News wrote:OK, probably the weakest section in all of high school hockey, but it's still interesting.

E.G. I can't figure out how Luverne gets the top seed here. They don't play anywhere near the tougher schedule of New Ulm, and it seems from a quick read of the tea leaves that New Ulm kinda had some down games against weak common opponents, but competed well against much better teams than Luverne ever faces. Dodge County appears to be the tie-breaker -- Beat Nulm twice, lost to Luverne twice?

Save your hate, Luverne lovers. I'd like to hear from objective third parties like myself, speculations on why Luverne gets the top seed. I have to think Nulm gets the nod for being tempered by a harder schedule, not to mention plenty of previous trips. But good for Luverne if they can make good on the top seed.
I'm sure it was tough to decide the number one seed for this section. You can make a case for both New Ulm and Luverne. You look at the Dodge County Series that both teams played and Luverne looks better. However, Luverne split with Marshall and New Ulm won both. Both teams played Litch in close games. The only other common opponent you would consider is Hutch. New Ulm beat them 4-3 and Luverne beat them 5-1. It was a toss up and Luverne just happened to get the nod this year. They both also played Minnehaha Academy with New Ulm losing 5-3 and Luverne winning 2-1. But this couldn't have been consider in section seeding since Luverne just played them Friday.

Teak

Post by Teak » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:37 pm

Shinbone_News wrote:Save your hate, Luverne lovers. I'd like to hear from objective third parties like myself, speculations on why Luverne gets the top seed. I have to think Nulm gets the nod for being tempered by a harder schedule, not to mention plenty of previous trips. But good for Luverne if they can make good on the top seed.
I am neither a Luverne nor a New Ulm lover or hater. I did not see New Ulm this season, but I was impressed enough with Luverne in the single game of theirs that I saw: the 7-0 destruction of Marshall IN Marshall. They were well-organised, well-coached, and have a good mix of freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors. They also have two good scoring lines, something missing from most A schools and even some AA ones.

Strength of schedule is often over-rated. So New Ulm went and got whipped by the Chicago Blackhawks 14 times this season? It probably didn't make them any better and certainly didn't give them a ton of confidence. I'd also rather see 3A get represented by a 21-3-1 team than a 12-12-1 team. :lol: