Section 7A

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

sandstrom

Post by sandstrom » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:03 am

rainier wrote:
PuckRanger wrote:Tough day for this section on Hockey Day. The potential top 3 seeds all lost in running time, and only one team of the nine (actually 8 since one didn't play today) won today and that was Greenway, who played a fellow section opponent.

Denfeld lost to CEC 8-2.
Marshall lost to Rochester Lourdes 7-0.
Hibbing lost to Eagan 9-2.
Virginia lost to Willmar 2-1.
International Falls did not play.
North Shore lost to Greenway 5-3.
Eveleth lost to Hutchinson 3-2.
Greenway defeated North Shore 5-3.
Ely lost to St. Paul Academy 17-3.
Quite the ugly day for 7A; the top three teams get outscored 24-4. Who will get hot come playoff time? Maybe no one.
yes tough day for sure but i was at the frenzy and i can back denfeld a little as that game wasnt as bad as the scoreboard indicated. shots about even surprisingly. but that doesnt really matter, what matters is the final score.

Hockey North

Post by Hockey North » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:52 pm

rainier wrote: Quite the ugly day for 7A; the top three teams get outscored 24-4. Who will get hot come playoff time? Maybe no one.
Yeah, for once I actually agree with you. I think all three have their issues. As of right now, I think the one who wins this Section in playoffs will get beat in game 1 at State.

rainier

Post by rainier » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:58 pm

Here's an updated prediction for the 7A seedings (section record in parentheses):

1. Duluth Denfeld (4-0) The Hunters have two huge statement wins (East, Hermantown), and have beaten Hibbing, Virginia, and I-Falls, thus they are currently the top seed. The game against Duluth Marshall on the 31st should decide if they stay #1, and their only other section game will be vs. E-G. They were playing well until getting pasted by Cloquet, so we will see how they bounce back.

2. Duluth Marshall (1-0) Marshall's only section game so far was a win over Hibbing, and they will play Denfeld, Virginia, and E-G during the stretch run. They should beat Virginia and E-G, thus the Denfeld game will be their section test. Essentially, beat Denfeld and they will take over the top seed. Not sure why they don't play I-Falls, given they only play 4 section games and I-Falls is a quality team. I think the Denfeld game is a toss-up. The Toppers have had some ugly losses lately, but they have been to good teams and this is still very likely the most talented team in 7A. Will they pull it together for playoffs?

3. Hibbing (4-2) Pretty simple for Hibbing, they have lost to the two teams ahead of them and beaten all the teams behind them. They will play I-Falls and Virginia again (also E-G), and if they win those two, #3 will be locked up. They could lose one of those two games and still get the #3 seed, depending on how Virginia fares vs. Marshall. Hibbing also got crushed their last few games vs. top AA teams and seem to be struggling. How will they respond down the stretch vs conference opponents?

4. Virginia (3-2-1) Virginia's best section win is vs. I-Falls, and they have lost to both Hibbing and Denfeld, thus if they are to move up they will need to upset Marshall and/or beat Hibbing. It will be fun to see the 2nd game vs. Hibbing as the Blue Devils will be much healthier than the first meeting and will be at home. They have played well at times and looked bad at times, so I'm not really sure what to expect from here on out.

5. I-Falls (3-3-2) The Broncos have racked up wins vs. the lower tier section teams and have losses to all teams above them. Even if they beat Hibbing and Virginia loses to Hibbing, it will be tough for Falls to move up as they have a loss and a tie to Virginia, and the tie to E-G really hurts them. If I-Falls loses to North Shore, it may knock them back to #6, and whoever gets the #3 seed (likely Hibbing or Virginia) sure doesn't want to see a pissed off Broncos team in the 1st round. On a good day I think Falls can beat anyone in 7A.

6. North Shore (4-4) Despite a surprising loss to Greenway, the Steelheads (is that their new name?) beat the Raiders in their first game and also beat E-G, which moves them to #6. If they upset Falls they could very well slide up to #5, which would give them a better chance a pulling a first round upset.

7. Eveleth-Gilbert (3-4-1) The tie to I-Falls is the bright spot on their resume, but their only section wins are vs. the two teams below them. The Golden Bears still have a whopping 5 section games left vs the teams ahead of them, so with an upset they could make a good case to move up.

8. Greenway (2-5) Without an upset vs. Falls or Virginia, this is where the Raiders will stay.

9. Ely (1-5) Despite the big win over E-G, the Wolves will finish 9th and take part in the play in game.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of potential movement in the seedings, but the Denfeld-Marshall and Virginia-Marshall games could really shake things up. No team in 7A seems to be playing well right now, so if any team among the top 5 catches fire they could be heading to St. Paul. Although no matter who goes they will have no chance of being seeded and will have to pray to not catch STA or Breck in the quarterfinals to have a chance of making any noise at the X.

I predict Hibbing-Marshall and Denfeld-I-Falls as the semifinal match-ups.

greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:30 pm

The most dangerous team for the higher seeds is the Falls. They beat Thief River and tied Warroad, both on the road. They are very capable of playing two good games in a row. As has been stated by the previous posters, the winner of Section 7A will probably lose in the first round and could very easily go 0-2 at State.

PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:51 am

After last night's two drubbings by Denfeld and Hibbing, Denfeld locked up the top seed, but the door is now wide open for the #2 seed. The final seedings (as usual) will pretty much come down to the Virginia/Marshall and the Virginia/Hibbing games barring any major upsets. It will all be decided in the next 12 days.

#1 - Duluth Denfeld - Definitely a lock now.

#2 - Duluth Marshall - There is room for doubt here after the 8-3 loss to Denfeld. A loss to Virginia and they might end up at #4. Overall record of 8-11 and their lone section win was an overtime game very early in the season over Hibbing. Their non-section wins aren't as impressive as years past (3 Wisconsin teams, Crookston, Mounds View, Roseville, and Blake).

#3 - Hibbing - Could go up to #2 with a win in their upcoming game in Virginia and Virginia pulling out a win over Marshall next week.

#4 - Virginia - Still an outside shot at the #2 seed if they can beat both Hibbing and Duluth Marshall and don't stumble in Greenway.

#5 - International Falls - Pretty much locked here after the 8-3 loss to Hibbing. 0-4-1 against the teams above them and a tie with Eveleth gives them no shot at moving up. There will be no traveling to Bronco Arena for a playoff game this year.

#6 - North Shore - Lost to Greenway, Beat Eveleth, took Virginia into OT and played some other teams close. They will solidify a date at the #3 seed with another win over Eveleth next week. Would probably stay here even with a loss as long as its close unless Eveleth pulls off some upsets.

#7 - Eveleth - Has a bunch of section games left yet, so a small chance they could move up to #6 or drop to #8. Moving up gets tough since they lost to Ely and North Shore and moving down isn't likely since they are 3-1 against the two teams below them.

#8 - Greenway - Two wins over Ely and close win over North Shore aren't enough to get them out of the play-in game since they also lost twice to Eveleth. They can move up with an upset of Virginia or Duluth Marshall.

#9 - Ely - Stuck in their familiar spot, they will travel for the play-in game again this year.

Throwback

Post by Throwback » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:38 pm

I can't understand how you rank Marshall at the #2 spot. Other than the OT win over Hibbing, there is nothing else and that was fairly early. Even I-Falls beat Thief River and tied Warroad. Marshall lost both.

1 Denfeld
2 Hibbing
3 Virginia
4 Marshall (They move up to 3 with a win over Virginia on the 7th)
5 I-Falls
6 North Shore
7 Eveleth
8 Greenway
9 ELY

rainier

Post by rainier » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:52 pm

Throwback wrote:I can't understand how you rank Marshall at the #2 spot. Other than the OT win over Hibbing, there is nothing else and that was fairly early. Even I-Falls beat Thief River and tied Warroad. Marshall lost both.

1 Denfeld
2 Hibbing
3 Virginia
5 I-Falls
6 North Shore
7 Eveleth
8 Greenway
9 ELY
I would put Marshall at #2 because Hibbing has no other signature wins to overcome the head-to-head loss to Marshall. Hibbing's best win all season is vs Mahtomedi and they do have a bad loss to Chisago Lakes. I agree that Hibbing has been the better team lately, but unless Virginia beats the Toppers I think they stay at #2. Or Hibbing would have to upset Rapids or Hermantown to move up to #2.

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:52 pm

rainier wrote:
Throwback wrote:I can't understand how you rank Marshall at the #2 spot. Other than the OT win over Hibbing, there is nothing else and that was fairly early. Even I-Falls beat Thief River and tied Warroad. Marshall lost both.

1 Denfeld
2 Hibbing
3 Virginia
5 I-Falls
6 North Shore
7 Eveleth
8 Greenway
9 ELY
I would put Marshall at #2 because Hibbing has no other signature wins to overcome the head-to-head loss to Marshall. Hibbing's best win all season is vs Mahtomedi and they do have a bad loss to Chisago Lakes. I agree that Hibbing has been the better team lately, but unless Virginia beats the Toppers I think they stay at #2. Or Hibbing would have to upset Rapids or Hermantown to move up to #2.
Doesn't much matter, as being seeded 2 or 3 gives either seed a fairly easy section opener. If Falls settles in at 5, however, it would behoove Marshall, Virginia or Hibbing to not get the 4.

PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:13 pm

rainier wrote:

1 Denfeld
2 Hibbing
3 Virginia
5 I-Falls
6 North Shore
7 Eveleth
8 Greenway
9 ELY
Exactly. The non-section game resume of teams 2-4 is pretty weak for all of them. The head-to-head game with Hibbing and Marshall is the main determining factor.

Traditionally in this section, the seedings (not rankings - there is a difference) have gone almost solely based on head-to head results within section opponents, so the few section games Marshall plays carry a ton of weight. Only when there are mixed results (ie. the top four or five teams are all beating up on one another) do we usually see common opponents, non-section game results, state rankings, etc. come into play.

I should also point out that Marshall rarely gets the benefit of the doubt on anything, so if they hiccup at all in section play, the other coaches in the section have been quick to penalize them. They have been the #4 seed quite a few times while still maintaining a top 15 state ranking over the years. (It turns out the other coaches in the section tend to hold a grudge after having a player or two plucked from their program to play at Marshall over the years.) They will need to beat Virginia, Greenway, and Eveleth (the latter two more convincingly) and may even need to have Virginia beat Hibbing to actually get the votes for the #2 seed.
mnmouth wrote:Doesn't much matter, as being seeded 2 or 3 gives either seed a fairly easy section opener. If Falls settles in at 5, however, it would behoove Marshall, Virginia or Hibbing to not get the 4.
Not to mention you avoid a potential matchup with Denfeld until the finals.

----------

On an unrelated note, does anyone else think that with the combining of Two Harbors and Silver Bay this year along with the combining of Denfeld and Central two years ago that the path has been cleared to make room for Proctor and Hermantown to return to 7A next year?

rainier

Post by rainier » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:45 pm

PuckRanger wrote:
On an unrelated note, does anyone else think that with the combining of Two Harbors and Silver Bay this year along with the combining of Denfeld and Central two years ago that the path has been cleared to make room for Proctor and Hermantown to return to 7A next year?
God I hope not. In the early to mid 2000's, Hermantown was just getting revved up, thus Hibbing and Virginia were able to compete with them, but now the Hawks are an absolute juggernaut from the youth levels on up. They will own 7A if they are moved in.

Here is my guess as to what will happen:

1. Now that STA has opted up, Breck and Totino will feel more pressure to opt up and will eventually do so.

2. With STA out of the picture, Hermantown wins a few titles even with Breck and T-G in A, and then when those privates opt up, Hermantown completely dominates A and decides to opt up.

I am convinced Hermantown opts up one day. They would have been at least a top two seed in 7AA the last two years (they could have beat East had they played) and this year they would have been top three. Not to mention that they would have another 2-3 A titles if it not for a metro private school perpetrating the most egregious abuse of the two class system we will ever see. And this level of excellence by the Hawks shows no sign of dropping off.

As a Hibbing fan, I don't want Hermantown moved to 7A; I would much rather lose to them in March in St. Paul than in February in Duluth.

PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:04 am

Its pretty clear at this point that the playoffs should shape up like this:

Tuesday, 2/19, 7:30PM: #9 Ely @ #8 Greenway/N-K

Thursday, 2/21, 7:30PM: Tuesday Winner @ Duluth #1 Duluth Denfeld
Thursday, 2/21, 7:30PM: #5 International Falls @ #4 Virginia/MI-B
Thursday, 2/21, 7:30PM: #7 Eveleth-Gilbert/ME @ #2 Duluth Marshall
Thursday, 2/21, 7:30PM: #6 North Shore @ #3 Hibbing/Chisholm

Saturday, 2/23: 1:00PM: Denfeld game winner vs. I Falls/Virginia winner @ Hibbing
Saturday, 2/23: 7:30PM: Eveleth/Marshall winner vs. Hibbing/North Shore winner @ Grand Rapids

Wednesday, 2/27: 7:30PM: Championship @ AMSOIL Arena, Duluth

The only realistically possible variation is a swap with Hibbing and Marshall and/or a swap with Eveleth and North Shore. Neither, however, is all that likely in my opinion. In that event, first round opponents could change, but locations would stay the same throughout.

rainier

Post by rainier » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:58 am

PuckRanger wrote:Its pretty clear at this point that the playoffs should shape up like this:

Tuesday, 2/19, 7:30PM: #9 Ely @ #8 Greenway/N-K

Thursday, 2/21, 7:30PM: Tuesday Winner @ Duluth #1 Duluth Denfeld
Thursday, 2/21, 7:30PM: #5 International Falls @ #4 Virginia/MI-B
Thursday, 2/21, 7:30PM: #7 Eveleth-Gilbert/ME @ #2 Duluth Marshall
Thursday, 2/21, 7:30PM: #6 North Shore @ #3 Hibbing/Chisholm

Saturday, 2/23: 1:00PM: Denfeld game winner vs. I Falls/Virginia winner @ Hibbing
Saturday, 2/23: 7:30PM: Eveleth/Marshall winner vs. Hibbing/North Shore winner @ Grand Rapids

Wednesday, 2/27: 7:30PM: Championship @ AMSOIL Arena, Duluth

The only realistically possible variation is a swap with Hibbing and Marshall and/or a swap with Eveleth and North Shore. Neither, however, is all that likely in my opinion. In that event, first round opponents could change, but locations would stay the same throughout.
This looks spot on to me. Hibbing's run of 10 consecutive 7A final appearances is in jeopardy, as they (barring a HUGE upset) will face Marshall in the semis, a team that was the preseason favorite and who I still believe has the most talent of any 7A team. Marshall won the regular season meeting 3-2 in OT, and since then neither team has done much to suggest a playoff matchup would be any different.

The Virginia/I-Falls game is the only first round game that isn't a mismatch and should be a fun one to watch. I think Falls has better top end players but Virginia has more depth. Denfeld will be a solid favorite in the semis, but seeing as they beat Virginia 5-3 and Falls 6-4, an upset wouldn't be overly shocking, especially given that Murray (Virginia goalie) has the capability to steal games and Debenedet (Falls) is a top 3 player in 7A.

Unfortunately it appears that the 7A champ will likely lose in the first round this year at state. The only team capable of getting a top 5 seed seems to be Denfeld, as depending on who wins 8A they might be able to sneak in and get a first round game vs Lourdes, who is the most beatable of the top 4 in A. Hopefully a Mahtomedi or SCC can pull an upset in sections to close the gap a bit, but I won't hold my breath.

It will be fun to see who gets hot during playoffs.

stcloudfan

Post by stcloudfan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:53 am

I would love to see Denfeld and some fresh blood at State this year! Its exciting to see programs that have never been there or have not been there in quite some time. Hoping they dont choke! The have shown they can beat good teams...now they just need to do it when it counts!

rainier

Post by rainier » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:32 am

Now that the 7A seeds are official, we 7A fans get to start the prediction madness!

Quarters: Denfeld over play-in winnner- 9-1
I-Falls over Virginia-4-3
Hibbing over North Shore 8-2
Marshall over Eveleth 9-0

Semis: I-Falls over Denfeld 5-4 (Upset special alert!)
Hibbing over Marshall 5-3

Final: Hibbing over I-Falls 4-3

I just have a feeling that I-Falls has a run in them, their top 5 are as good as any in 7A, and Denfeld needed an empty netter to beat them 6-4 earlier in the season. And I'm not sure how Denfeld will handle the expectation of a #1 seed, something they have not been in many years.

I'm a Hibbing fan so I do look through navy blue colored glasses, but Hibbing took Marshall to OT and when they lost to Denfeld 5-1, Adam Johnson didn't play, so that result is essentially meaningless. Hibbing has 10 players that will be playing in their third 7A title game, so I think that big game experience will be the difference.

If Hibbing doesn't make it, I'm rooting for everyone other than Marshall to win 7A.

sandstrom

Post by sandstrom » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:12 pm

Greenway over Ely

Denfeld over Greenway 11-0
IFalls over Virgina 4-3
Hibbing over North Shore 7-1
Marshall over Evelath 10-0

Denfeld over IFalls 6-2
Marshall over Hibbing 5-3

Denfeld over Marshall 4-3

bemused

Post by bemused » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:31 pm

rainier wrote:Now that the 7A seeds are official, we 7A fans get to start the prediction madness!

Quarters: Denfeld over play-in winnner- 9-1
I-Falls over Virginia-4-3
Hibbing over North Shore 8-2
Marshall over Eveleth 9-0

Semis: I-Falls over Denfeld 5-4 (Upset special alert!)
Hibbing over Marshall 5-3

Final: Hibbing over I-Falls 4-3

I just have a feeling that I-Falls has a run in them, their top 5 are as good as any in 7A, and Denfeld needed an empty netter to beat them 6-4 earlier in the season. And I'm not sure how Denfeld will handle the expectation of a #1 seed, something they have not been in many years.

I'm a Hibbing fan so I do look through navy blue colored glasses, but Hibbing took Marshall to OT and when they lost to Denfeld 5-1, Adam Johnson didn't play, so that result is essentially meaningless. Hibbing has 10 players that will be playing in their third 7A title game, so I think that big game experience will be the difference.

If Hibbing doesn't make it, I'm rooting for everyone other than Marshall to win 7A.

If Marshall doesn't win it it I'm rooting for anybody besides I'falls!

rainier

Post by rainier » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:09 pm

Hermantown beats Hibbing tonight 3-2, shots were 27-21 Herm.

This was the best Hibbing has played all season. Hermantown was clearly the better team, but Hibbing had almost as many quality scoring chances as the Hawks, whose goalie came up big 3 or 4 times; that kid is solid.

Tough break for Hibbing as the 2nd Herm goal was scored from past the blue line, it took a crazy bounce off the ice and flipped over Carlson's shoulder; other than that he had a very good game.

Adam Johnson did a great job breaking the puck out and Hibbing looks like a different team lately. Their top two lines are moving the puck well and getting good pressure. If they play like this in the playoffs they will be right there. I hope they keep it up.

HawkeyPower

Post by HawkeyPower » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:57 pm

rainier wrote:Hermantown beats Hibbing tonight 3-2, shots were 27-21 Herm.

This was the best Hibbing has played all season. Hermantown was clearly the better team, but Hibbing had almost as many quality scoring chances as the Hawks, whose goalie came up big 3 or 4 times; that kid is solid.

Tough break for Hibbing as the 2nd Herm goal was scored from past the blue line, it took a crazy bounce off the ice and flipped over Carlson's shoulder; other than that he had a very good game.

Adam Johnson did a great job breaking the puck out and Hibbing looks like a different team lately. Their top two lines are moving the puck well and getting good pressure. If they play like this in the playoffs they will be right there. I hope they keep it up.
Rainier you have seen more Hibbing games so I will got to you on this. Does Johnson always play as much as he did against Hermantown? He was on the ice for the last 4:56 and he looked like he was gassed. Kind of funny that they got their first goal with him on the bench. He moved the puck well but I think he settled for too many wrist shots from the top of the circle that were easy to defend. I think they need to play as a team more to get out of 7A.
The last goal was scored with 5 seconds left in the game otherwise the finish would have been more exciting.

rainier

Post by rainier » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:37 pm

HawkeyPower wrote:
rainier wrote:Hermantown beats Hibbing tonight 3-2, shots were 27-21 Herm.

Rainier you have seen more Hibbing games so I will got to you on this. Does Johnson always play as much as he did against Hermantown? He was on the ice for the last 4:56 and he looked like he was gassed. Kind of funny that they got their first goal with him on the bench. He moved the puck well but I think he settled for too many wrist shots from the top of the circle that were easy to defend. I think they need to play as a team more to get out of 7A.
The last goal was scored with 5 seconds left in the game otherwise the finish would have been more exciting.
Johnson has been playing a ton lately. He was gassed at the end there for sure. The funny thing is that Hibbing is playing better as a team, earlier in the year Johnson was trying to do everything by himself, but lately he has really been finding teammates and creating plays better. Definitely room for improvement, but they are playing well now.

I hope both teams make it to state.

oldtimehockey77

Post by oldtimehockey77 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:16 am

Hibbing played good defense last night and Hermantown did not help themselves by taking 8 penalties. It is tough to score goals when you are on the PK so much. Carlson played good for most of the game, but at times seems to lose his focus. He seems to stuggle with the mental part of his game. Hibbing should do alright in the play offs, but I think its Denfelds turn to go to State.

rainier

Post by rainier » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:53 pm

Duluth Marshall picks up a quality win over Cathedral today, 3-1 (en). Cathedral had a solid advantage in shots (39-26), but they weren't able to muster any even strength goals.

Marshall and Hibbing both closed their regular seasons with solid performances. Should make for a heck of a battle up in Grand Rapids next Saturday. (Assuming no major upset in the quarters.)

rainier

Post by rainier » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:59 pm

Should be some great games on Saturday.

Duluth Marshall beat Hibbing 3-2 in OT in their one meeting, and Denfeld beat I-Falls 6-4 (en) in their meeting.

Denfeld-I-Falls Sat afternoon in Hibbing.
Marshall-Hibbing Sat night in Rapids.

rainier

Post by rainier » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:19 pm

Congrats to Duluth Marshall on their 3-2 victory over Hibbing tonight. They were the better team and they deserved to win.

I watched both 7A semis today and I think it will be a close one on Wednesday. Good luck to the winner and make 7A proud at state.

rainier

Post by rainier » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am

Hibbing coach Mark DeCenzo is retiring.

From his son Anthony's Twitter account:

"After 30 years of coaching, 21 section final appearances and 6 trips to the State Tourney, my dad is stepping down from coaching HS hockey"

Coach DeCenzo is highly respected by his peers, current/former players, and the MN high school hockey community in general. Hibbing fans are as proud as they are fortunate to have had someone with such integrity, dedication, and knowledge of the game leading their Bluejackets for so many years.

Thanks for the great memories, Coach DeCenzo, you leave some enormous shoes to fill!