Hawks vs. Thunderhawks

The Latest 400 or so Topics
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:47 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Excuses excuses. Those teams should be Class AA based on results PERIOD. Rapids was w/o two of their top forwards and a d-man last night and if you don't like penalties then don't play dirty. Rapids won that game because they were the better team last night.
You off your meds again DJ? :wink:

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:51 pm

I just don't think any school from Duluth, Rochester, or St. Cloud should be in Class A. Class A should be about the small towns like Silver Bay, Eveleth, Moose Lake, etc.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

joris016

Post by joris016 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:52 pm

To all those saying that Denfeld, Marshall and Hermantown have no business being in Class A, show me some sort of supporting evidence for this?? Hermantown has won 1 State Championship. Marshall has been to 3 State Championships (lost all of them) and Denfeld hasn't even been to the state tournament since the 80's. Denfeld is having a good season and might, MIGHT make it to State. Ten years ago, Greenway was a powerhouse, but they have fallen off. If Hermantown was in AA or Marshall was in AA, sure they could compete against plenty of AA competition, but don't sit there and act like these schools have had a stranglehold on Class A. Hermantown just arrived on the scene in the last 10-15 years. And Denfeld moving up to AA?! You've gotta be kidding me! It took St. Thomas 4 State championships before they decided to move up to AA which is where they truly belong. Until schools such as Breck and Totino move up, don't even start to bring up Marshall and Hermantown.

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:01 pm

cooperalls4ever wrote:
As for the game, Hermantown spent 13 minutes shorthanded, Grand Rapids 0 minutes shorthanded and the shots were 22-19 GR and Hermantown still led 3-2 at that point thru 2 periods and the first 3+ min of the 3rd. Hermantown's problem was staying out of the penalty box. I absolutely agree with other post that GR seemed like nothing was going their way. They did struggle greatly in the first 4+ min of their 5min pp however just to gain the O-zone. Pretty much gives an idea of the flow of the game and GR had momentum as the game wore on. Most teams should...
Pretty sure Rapids was short handed after Bischoff and a Hermantown forward took coincidentals and then Simonson took a penalty to stop an odd man rush.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

rainier

Post by rainier » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:04 pm

I imagine Hermantown would be AA by now if the big city privates (the schools that are truly abusing the two class system) had all opted up a few years ago. The Hawks would likely have 3-4 state titles and the same pressure would be put on them that has been put on STA the past few years.

Last night was the first time Rapids has beaten the Hawks in five years, so they do just fine against top AA competition. They are a great success story of smaller community hockey, and while I don't think they have to move up, I just don't see why they wouldn't want to. I think they could have beaten East last year, by the way.

If Hermantown and Marshall both opted up, wouldn't 7AA become the best section in the state? (assuming they replaced Cambridge and/or St. Francis)

HawkeyPower

Post by HawkeyPower » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:19 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Excuses excuses. Those teams should be Class AA based on results PERIOD. Rapids was w/o two of their top forwards and a d-man last night and if you don't like penalties then don't play dirty. Rapids won that game because they were the better team last night.

Speaking of excuses what top forwards were missing for Rapids last night. All the usual names seemed to be playing.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:51 pm

First line fwd Reid Holum, second line forward Petter Sahlstram, and defensemen Quinn Mischke.

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:59 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:First line fwd Reid Holum, second line forward Petter Sahlstram, and defensemen Quinn Mischke.
What's up with them?

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:20 pm

mnmouth wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:First line fwd Reid Holum, second line forward Petter Sahlstram, and defensemen Quinn Mischke.
What's up with them?
They're sick. Nothing structural.

cooperalls4ever

Post by cooperalls4ever » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:08 pm

north_bear wrote:
cooperalls4ever wrote:
As for the game, Hermantown spent 13 minutes shorthanded, Grand Rapids 0 minutes shorthanded and the shots were 22-19 GR and Hermantown still led 3-2 at that point thru 2 periods and the first 3+ min of the 3rd. Hermantown's problem was staying out of the penalty box. I absolutely agree with other post that GR seemed like nothing was going their way. They did struggle greatly in the first 4+ min of their 5min pp however just to gain the O-zone. Pretty much gives an idea of the flow of the game and GR had momentum as the game wore on. Most teams should...
Pretty sure Rapids was short handed after Bischoff and a Hermantown forward took coincidentals and then Simonson took a penalty to stop an odd man rush.
I'm pretty sure you're correct, why did you fail to read the rest of the sentence before you posted? What I typed was correct. I also commented the same about the coincidental minors and the one H-town pp either earlier in this post or in my post on the Tues nights score updates. I haven't looked at the scoresheet, but by memory it should show 25-27 minutes in penalties for Hermantown (as the kid took a 5/10) and 4 minutes for GR.

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:04 pm

I didn't fail to read the rest of the sentence, I read it and did not see anywhere in that post that Hermantown had a pp. But after looking back at your earlier post I saw that you had mentioned it, my bad.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!