Holy Family vs: Mound Westonka

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

blueblood

HF vs. MW

Post by blueblood »

What are your thoughts of the picture posted by LPH on the check by HF's #4 to the MW player?

Note: if it's #4; he was the same player ejected for fighting at the end of the game.

Interesting to see if there be further discipline by MSHSL to the player and if refs are questioned.

Head ref was calling the game that night. This could be dicey...
Metrohockeyfan

Post by Metrohockeyfan »

After watching the highlights, I feel bad for Mound. Both goals called off looked like good goals to me, as well as a few non-pentalty calls against HF. The check from behind that is being talked about really amazes me how it wasn't called.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Goal called off for Holy Family as well in the 2nd I believe - I felt bad about that too.

Not sure about any checking from behind. The player from HF rode the kid off the puck and the kid kind of fell in the process and they went into the boards together - wasn't a CFB. (check from behind)

Score closer than the game reflected. HF outplayed Mound. Mound was outshot 2:1. 41 to 21.
blueblood

SuperStar

Post by blueblood »

You might want to see the picture on the LPH twitter account and report back what you failed to see
:shock: ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
fourthlinegrinder

Wow

Post by fourthlinegrinder »

They say the north is the roughest hs hockey but how about the west suburbs I don't care what anybody says the wright county is a rough conference

U can hear the thud that was a check from behind, the first goal called off was horrible, horrible the refs lost control

Mound and holy family rematch, would not mind a rematch
Bandy

Post by Bandy »

SuperStar wrote:...Not sure about any checking from behind. The player from HF rode the kid off the puck and the kid kind of fell in the process and they went into the boards together - wasn't a CFB. (check from behind)
Go to the game site (http://pointstreak.com/flashapp/index_h ... id=2091849), scroll down to 3rd period, 2:36 remaining, video entitled "HIT - Dylan Woolf."

Edit: Hyperlinked the url.
almostashappy

Re: SuperStar

Post by almostashappy »

blueblood wrote:You might want to see the picture on the LPH twitter account and report back what you failed to see
:shock: ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Picture looks horrific, but the video is a bit less damning...

From this link, click on the "video" tab, then scroll down to the 3rd from last clip that is labelled "HIT - Dylan Woolf"

http://pointstreak.com/flashapp/index_h ... id=2091849
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Okay - the picture does look bad, agree.

The Mound player came down with the puck, HF player made contact and rode him out of the play. As they went in the boards the Mound player kind of fell awkward and fell facing towards the boards The momentum carried both of them - as the Mound player fell, HF player was tripping over the top of him and the momentum carried them into the boards awkwardly. 3 refs were right there and No call - which was the right call. It was clean, physical play.

Does it look bad from (1) picture? Yes it does. But a picture tells a thousand words.

Both HF and Mound's goals that were waived off, were questionable. So, that still leaves it and even game at that point - no harm, no foul.

The last second goal called off was the Mound player in the crease mugging the HF goalie before the shot was taken...The ref CLEARLY saw it. He was 2 feet away and waved it off. Still, I didn't see the puck even go in, from where I was standing.

Was it a good, physical game? Heckya. I loved it. But if your were there, and I will say it again, HF controlled 75% of that game and out shot Mound 2:1. Mounds goalie, Seats played very good and the lack of finishing on the part of HF made the score close. Looking forward to the next match-up
SHAKEnBAKE

Post by SHAKEnBAKE »

Picture is here...
http://tinypic.com/r/2pplsi9/6
Looks like CFB?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Okay - for the 3rd time. It wasn't check from behind.

It was a clean, physical check from the front and they both went into the boards. The Mound player fell awkwardly at the very last second and the HF was going over the top of him.

The picture looks bad - but I could probably dig up 100 pictures from a 100 different games showing supposedly CFB's.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

SHAKEnBAKE wrote:Picture is here...
http://tinypic.com/r/2pplsi9/6
Looks like CFB?
And this picture makes it look like President Obama was checking on a behind during a summit conference in Italy.

But once folks checked the associated video feed, it was clear that he was just being a gentleman, and turning to help the woman down the steps.

Photographs are powerful, but they are just a snapshot in time. Always better to see the replay, if it's available.
silentbutdeadly3139

Post by silentbutdeadly3139 »

SuperStar wrote:Okay - for the 3rd time. It wasn't check from behind.

It was a clean, physical check from the front and they both went into the boards. The Mound player fell awkwardly at the very last second and the HF was going over the top of him.

The picture looks bad - but I could probably dig up 100 pictures from a 100 different games showing supposedly CFB's.
OK i guess SuperStar bolds a statement makes it a fact. Not sure how you can ever say that was "from the front" and sure didn't look like he was tripping but i guess its all in how you want to see it.
57special

Post by 57special »

and what was the guy on the far right (in the pic) looking at?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Oh boy - This thread will get shut down in no time....

I was actually pleasantly surprised by the refs. They called a good game. Gershich got totally hammered, creamed. The puck was 20 feet away. Brandsetter didn't get a penalty for it - and I agree with the call.

Looked more like an accidentally collision than anything, but if you get THAT PICTURE - we can talk smack and try and get the kid booted from High School hockey FOREVER!! Let the WITCH HUNT begin!! :P
Wasilla

Post by Wasilla »

SuperStar wrote:Okay - the picture does look bad, agree.

The Mound player came down with the puck, HF player made contact and rode him out of the play. As they went in the boards the Mound player kind of fell awkward and fell facing towards the boards The momentum carried both of them - as the Mound player fell, HF player was tripping over the top of him and the momentum carried them into the boards awkwardly. 3 refs were right there and No call - which was the right call. It was clean, physical play.

Does it look bad from (1) picture? Yes it does. But a picture tells a thousand words.

Both HF and Mound's goals that were waived off, were questionable. So, that still leaves it and even game at that point - no harm, no foul.

The last second goal called off was the Mound player in the crease mugging the HF goalie before the shot was taken...The ref CLEARLY saw it. He was 2 feet away and waved it off. Still, I didn't see the puck even go in, from where I was standing.

Was it a good, physical game? Heckya. I loved it. But if your were there, and I will say it again, HF controlled 75% of that game and out shot Mound 2:1. Mounds goalie, Seats played very good and the lack of finishing on the part of HF made the score close. Looking forward to the next match-up
I am actually surprized that HF didnt dominate more in this game. Does Mound westonka have some unusual talent this year?
silentbutdeadly3139

Post by silentbutdeadly3139 »

SuperStar wrote:Oh boy - This thread will get shut down in no time....

I was actually pleasantly surprised by the refs. They called a good game. Gershich got totally hammered, creamed. The puck was 20 feet away. Brandsetter didn't get a penalty for it - and I agree with the call.

Looked more like an accidentally collision than anything, but if you get THAT PICTURE - we can talk smack and try and get the kid booted from High School hockey FOREVER!! Let the WITCH HUNT begin!! :P
bolded words, caps, exclamation marks and hyperbole ... thats how you start a which hunt, sway opinion without fact and get a thread locked. :)
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Wasilla wrote:
SuperStar wrote:Okay - the picture does look bad, agree.

I am actually surprized that HF didnt dominate more in this game. Does Mound westonka have some unusual talent this year?
Yeah I think the have some big strong players. Brandsetter, Curti, Oborsky. The Goalie, Seats, plays good. They played Zata tough...it was 4-2 game late in the 3rd.

HF didn't finish there chances and they had plenty of them.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

silentbutdeadly3139 wrote:
SuperStar wrote:Oh boy - This thread will get shut down in no time....

bolded words, caps, exclamation marks and hyperbole ... thats how you start a which hunt, sway opinion without fact and get a thread locked. :)
I have to start working on my WITCH HUNTING skills then... :)
inthestands

Post by inthestands »

This is a classic thread.

Some say the goals called off should have been allowed, no question.
Some say the check from behind was flagrant and should have been called.
Some say the called off goals were good calls.
Some say the check from behind was a good no call.
But I have pictures..
But I have videos....

Next time anyone sees a thread about the low quality of hockey officials, we should all understand why most people in their right mind might decide against becoming, or remaining one..

Two teams play a good physical game. The score is close. One team wins, one doesn't. For many fans, it regularly boils down to those damn referees.. Gotta love it.
Bandy

Post by Bandy »

SuperStar wrote:Okay - for the 3rd time. It wasn't check from behind.

From the front? No way. You cannot be looking at the video tagged at 2:36 remaining in 3rd period. That hit, about 12 seconds into the video, clearly involves a hook which probably affected the Mounds player's balance, and a hard drive into the boards from behind. There was no need to finish a check from behind when the player is in a compromising position.

I have no kid on either team, and don't really give a crap who won. I'm just sick of cheap shots in hockey, and tired of officials who swallow their whistles. I'm sick of people tolerating this in hockey, then claiming that life-changing injuries are "freak accidents."
SHAKEnBAKE

Post by SHAKEnBAKE »

SuperStar wrote: Let the WITCH HUNT begin!! :P
Wouldn't that be a WOOLF HUNT?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Touche'. :wink:
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

SuperStar wrote:Touche'. :wink:
Given the fact that a penalty wasn't called, I would suggest that any "hunting" be focused on the game officials, rather than the players involved.

After watching it a couple of times, and looking back at the rules and last year's rule changes, and the MSHSL instructional video, and having the luxury of time that the refs didn't enjoy on the ice....can't really call it "checking from behind" since there wasn't a check involved. Easier case to call it boarding, and slap a 5+10 since the play forced the player's helmet to make contact with the boards.

Looking at that instructional video (and boy, how well is that being followed this year?), the problem is that the HF player kept his hands on the other player's back, rather than grab his opponent's hips and attempt to slow the momentum. But that's only if you're looking at the video... :?
fourthlinegrinder

Mound is not bad

Post by fourthlinegrinder »

I think Runke needs to go to many times I hve seen talented Mound teams under achieve, I understand it happen,s but where did Mound go in the second period????

Just because it is the west does not make it ok