Section 7AA

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

gitter

Post by gitter »

Before tonight's game, I see it:

1. East
2. GR
3. ER
4. Cloquet
5. FL
6. Andover
7. St Francis
8. St Michael
9. Cambridge

If Cloquet wins tonight they are most likely ahead of ER. I don't think they will surpass GR, even with the 2 ties. Rapids is playing well now right now.

If they lose, I don't know if they can slide below FL without a horrible loss to Andover, Stillwater or St Francis. I say that because even if the coaches view FL and Cloquet as equals, that 7-1 win would be tough to give the nod to FL.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

After Andover beat Cloquet 3-0 tonight:

1. East
2. Rapids
3. Elk River
4. Andover
5. Cloquet
6. Forest Lake
7. St. Francis
8. STMA
9. Cambridge
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

With Andover beating Cloquet tonight, it may end up looking something like this:

1. Duluth East
2. Grand Rapids
3. Elk River
4. Andover (Up to .500 now, and have a few more shots at a big win; with Perry in net and some sharp D, they could be dangerous)
5. Cloquet (Hangover from the East game, or a sign of deeper problems? Either way, that PP sure needs some work.)
6. Forest Lake (Tough luck for the Rangers, but it's hard to put them ahead of a team that beat them 7-1)
7. St. Francis
8. STMA
9. Cambridge
MNhockey29

Post by MNhockey29 »

Looks like Forest Lake will get screwed again in the seedings. No respect for them, they might be the surprise team in sections this year.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

MNhockey29 wrote:Looks like Forest Lake will get screwed again in the seedings. No respect for them, they might be the surprise team in sections this year.
Even if Forest Lake is the 6 seed, I don't think that has anything to do with respect. When we get past seedings and talk about match ups, anyone would be crazy to discredit Forest Lake in a one game scenario. However, their record vs. a schedule that ranks low just isn't impressive. They did get a solid win vs GR, but what else do they have to show? The pagestat rankings accurately predicted the 7AA seeds last year, and I won't be surprised if they do this year. They need to be updated again. In the end, it's not like Forest Lake has beat Elk River, Andover, and CEC and being put at 6. Saying they are getting screwed at #6 is a stretch.
gitter

Post by gitter »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:After Andover beat Cloquet 3-0 tonight:

1. East
2. Rapids
3. Elk River
4. Andover
5. Cloquet
6. Forest Lake
7. St. Francis
8. STMA
9. Cambridge
That's about right. Cloquet doesn't have any quality wins to have an argument over a 3-0 loss head-to-head. I think you could say 1-4 are locked. Even if East stumbles once in their remaining games, their quality wins list is too impressive and the head-to-head win over GR should hold them at 1. Same can be said for GR at 2 with ER below them.

There will be plenty of good games in this section.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Forest Lake belongs at 6.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

old goalie85 wrote:Forest Lake belongs at 6.
And I think Forest Lake at Elk River would be a helluva quarterfinal game. With the seeds this way Forest Lake could face Rapids at the semi-finals, now that would be fun!
rainier

Post by rainier »

gitter wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:After Andover beat Cloquet 3-0 tonight:

1. East
2. Rapids
3. Elk River
4. Andover
5. Cloquet
6. Forest Lake
7. St. Francis
8. STMA
9. Cambridge
That's about right. Cloquet doesn't have any quality wins to have an argument over a 3-0 loss head-to-head. I think you could say 1-4 are locked. Even if East stumbles once in their remaining games, their quality wins list is too impressive and the head-to-head win over GR should hold them at 1. Same can be said for GR at 2 with ER below them.

There will be plenty of good games in this section.
If these end up being the seedings, GR may very well play St. Francis, Forest Lake, and East to get to state. A chance to avenge three of their losses on the way to the X would be pretty cool.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

A shorter drive to E.R.
TennJed

Post by TennJed »

Wouldn't East face FL in semi's if FL advanced? East being high seed would play low seed? Not sure,just askin'.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

TennJed wrote:Wouldn't East face FL in semi's if FL advanced? East being high seed would play low seed? Not sure,just askin'.
No
SimplyPut

Post by SimplyPut »

I have to say DJ has the seedings pretty accurate. it will be hard to argue anything different. I do not see how Hockey29 can say Forest Lake is getting screwed? Just because they beat GR in November? Who have They beat besides GR and St Francis in section 7?. They gave up to many goals against mid to lower calaber teams. Lately FL has been playing better, but really who are they beating? The SEC teams that they have beat are not top seeds in their sections are they?? Woodbury? Stillwater? Park?? Roseville? aren't they all potential 5 to lower seeds in their sections as well? Yes Cretin was a nice win I see, but does not strike you as a win that moves a team up a spot or two. I do agree - there can be surprises in Section play. on any given night as they say. Good Luck to all teams.
gitter

Post by gitter »

TennJed wrote:Wouldn't East face FL in semi's if FL advanced? East being high seed would play low seed? Not sure,just askin'.
No, it is not like the NHL where they re-seed after every round. They just keep going.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

For Karl who said East's band hasn't been to the semi-finals at all in his memory, from 2009: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-HmvRIHOtQ
pipersniper12

Post by pipersniper12 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:For Karl who said East's band hasn't been to the semi-finals at all in his memory, from 2009: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-HmvRIHOtQ
I go to the hockey games to watch hockey. I personally don't care if the band is present. :shock: :shock:
Hunt|Fish|Hockey
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

pipersniper12 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:For Karl who said East's band hasn't been to the semi-finals at all in his memory, from 2009: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-HmvRIHOtQ
I go to the hockey games to watch hockey. I personally don't care if the band is present. :shock: :shock:
The bands and/or a good DJ (ahem) make the environment more enjoyable. If you think the games are just as good without the band you are nuts. The reason I got into DJing was because the band only went to 2 home games a year and there was a very noticeable difference in the energy of the fans. Even Alex Goligoski told me having the music energized the team and fans. Go to Mariucci Arena for a Gophers game and tell me the band being absent would make that college atmosphere just the same. :roll:
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
pipersniper12 wrote:
The bands and/or a good DJ (ahem) make the environment more enjoyable. If you think the games are just as good without the band you are nuts. The reason I got into DJing was because the band only went to 2 home games a year and there was a very noticeable difference in the energy of the fans. Even Alex Goligoski told me having the music energized the team and fans. Go to Mariucci Arena for a Gophers game and tell me the band being absent would make that college atmosphere just the same. :roll:
Couldn't agree more. School bands, especially those bands with rocking drum sections, can really amp up the atmosphere in a building. Makes the game more of an event.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Heading into the playoffs I see East, Rapids, and Andover playing their best at the right time. Cloquet's defensive struggles keep showing up and I am concerned for them that will be the thing that prevents them from getting to the semifinals. Forest Lake has been inconsistent all year which makes them dangerous in the first round, not enough to get to a section final. St. Francis needs great goaltending which they havent been getting lately, plus a team that falls asleep defensively. If a team stays patient and disciplined all game on the defensive side then St. Francis will not be capable of an upset.
allstatebenders

Post by allstatebenders »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Heading into the playoffs I see East, Rapids, and Andover playing their best at the right time. Cloquet's defensive struggles keep showing up and I am concerned for them that will be the thing that prevents them from getting to the semifinals. Forest Lake has been inconsistent all year which makes them dangerous in the first round, not enough to get to a section final. St. Francis needs great goaltending which they havent been getting lately, plus a team that falls asleep defensively. If a team stays patient and disciplined all game on the defensive side then St. Francis will not be capable of an upset.
Anyone is capapble of an upset!
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Wrong. STMA and Cambridge have zero chance to upset East
DustytheDuster

Post by DustytheDuster »

Just took a little pre-seeding time to look at Grand Rapids full record and did not realize they have lost to every AA team south of Hermantown (and east of Mille Lacs) that they have played without a -15 windchill factor :)

Ties with Eden Prairie and Cloquet were the next closest thing to a win. #2 seed? I'm not so sure. Scheduling Edina and Eden Prairie (and Benilde*) may give a stronger SOS then battling it out week in and week out in the SEC or the Northwest Suburban (where teams can rarely afford the luxury of phoning it in) but scheduling and winning are two different things.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

You sound as though you are seeding the in 6AA. Seeding is looking at all teams and their wins are more impressive than the others besides East. GR beat ER, Er swept Andover, Andover beat CEC, CEC routed FL, FL smoked St. F. St. F. and FL only have one quality win vs GR and thats it. Andover beat EP, Rapids beat Roseau, Moorhead, BSM, and Elk River.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

One could count the CDH win as quality.
allstatebenders

Post by allstatebenders »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Wrong. STMA and Cambridge have zero chance to upset East
But that GR team is pretty easy to upset though. 8)