Section 2AA

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TheHockeyDJ

Section 2AA

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:25 am

For some reason I have the feeling Prior Lake is gonna show up at Mariucci on Feb. 27th for the section final, though I'd imagine everyone is anticipating the classic rivalry of Edina vs. Burnsville. How's this section gonna shake out?
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

Edgy

Post by Edgy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:46 am

Edina, Jefferson, Prior Lake and Burnsville in the semi's and hard to tell from there, however you could be right

blueblood

Section 2

Post by blueblood » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:14 pm

The top 4 teams maintain their dominance in this section.

Edina should be #1 with section wins over PL and BV.

#2 through #4 is wide open since Jeff > PL, PL > BV and BV > Jeff (all teams won on home ice) and all 3 have lost to Eagan.

Laker Guy

Post by Laker Guy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:34 pm

Believe PL has as good a shot as the other three. The #2-#3 seeding doesn't really matter as that will be a neutral ice game anyway - just don't want the #4 seed and have to play Edina in the semis.

Edgy

Post by Edgy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:40 pm

have to play them sooner or later anyways so it doesn't really matter when.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:24 pm

Edgy wrote:have to play them sooner or later anyways so it doesn't really matter when.
Not really, Edina could get upset in the semi's then a team would be glad they were in the 2/3 game.

Laker Guy

Post by Laker Guy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:59 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Edgy wrote:have to play them sooner or later anyways so it doesn't really matter when.
Not really, Edina could get upset in the semi's then a team would be glad they were in the 2/3 game.

Agree - doubt that any of those three coaches will voluntarily take the #4 seed at the seeding meeting under the theory that they will have to play them sooner or later.

grandmeadowhockeyfan

semis and finals

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:08 am

This will be some great hockey on semi and finals for this section. It is close to section 6AA level hockey. It will be some cant miss hockey. Only with they had their semifinals in the same rink so you could catch all four in one day. That would be a great day of hockey.

TheHockeyDJ

Re: semis and finals

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:05 am

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:This will be some great hockey on semi and finals for this section. It is close to section 6AA level hockey. It will be some cant miss hockey. Only with they had their semifinals in the same rink so you could catch all four in one day. That would be a great day of hockey.
That's what makes 7AA so awesome, plus Amsoil Arena and Duluth are a much nicer setting. Kinda shocking 6AA and 2AA have their semifinals in such small rinks too. I would think there would be a 6,000 seat arena all 4 games could be played at in the TC. Now that would be a blast, 11 am Edina v. Jefferson, 1:30 PM BSM v. Minnetonka, 6 PM Burnsville v. Prior Lake 8:30 PM Wayzata v. Eden Prairie

Zamman

Post by Zamman » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:10 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:This will be some great hockey on semi and finals for this section. It is close to section 6AA level hockey. It will be some cant miss hockey. Only with they had their semifinals in the same rink so you could catch all four in one day. That would be a great day of hockey.
That's what makes 7AA so awesome, plus Amsoil Arena and Duluth are a much nicer setting. Kinda shocking 6AA and 2AA have their semifinals in such small rinks too. I would think there would be a 6,000 seat arena all 4 games could be played at in the TC. Now that would be a blast, 11 am Edina v. Jefferson, 1:30 PM BSM v. Minnetonka, 6 PM Burnsville v. Prior Lake 8:30 PM Wayzata v. Eden Prairie
Getting a little ahead of the game here aren't we? Those teams still need to make the semi's...No a guarantee, right EP?

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:17 am

Zamman wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Getting a little ahead of the game here aren't we? Those teams still need to make the semi's...No a guarantee, right EP?
Wasn't really a prediction, just a suggested look at what would be a fun semi-final day, but honestly, that is likely what it will be.

Edgy

Post by Edgy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:40 pm

The Z is holding out hope that AHA will be there, and the reason you play the games is anything can happen. Seems like a long shot his team will get out of the 1st round but they could if their stronger players have a great game

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:40 pm

I think that historically #1 & #2 seeds are more likely to get upset in the semis. Maybe the top seeds are looking past the lower rated teams and looking at playing 1/2 in the final.

Also, it seems like an upset is more likely when the semi is on a regulation rink as opposed to the larger Mariucci sheet.

Having both semis at Mariucci (one session) would be interesting, but gets tricky if the Golden Rats are in town that weekend.

grandmeadowhockeyfan

Really

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:16 pm

I have to say that there is nothing wrong with
Either of the arenas. The braemar is a great arena. Small maybe, but
It is great arena. I love the arena. Big is more than adequate for playoff hockey. Someone suggested that the games be played
At target center. Did any of you go to the games at target center when the
Tourney was there. It was terrible place to watch hockey. I would never go
In that arena for hockey again. Terrible atmosphere and terrible sight. Give me braemar or big anyday.

TheHockeyDJ

Re: Really

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:20 pm

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:I have to say that there is nothing wrong with
Either of the arenas. The braemar is a great arena. Small maybe, but
It is great arena. I love the arena. Big is more than adequate for playoff hockey. Someone suggested that the games be played
At target center. Did any of you go to the games at target center when the
Tourney was there. It was terrible place to watch hockey. I would never go
In that arena for hockey again. Terrible atmosphere and terrible sight. Give me braemar or big anyday.
They are nice rinks, for regular season hockey. Though, when you play there all year isn't nice to look forward to playing in a bigger rink for the playoffs? Target Center is too big for section games anyways. Especially when small towns up north need bigger venues it's kinda crazy they can still play in a 2,500 to 3,000 seat arena for sections in the Twin Cities.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:55 pm

Since both buildings have to be cleared between semis, a larger facility that could accommodate two games would be more entertaining. The problem is, there is no real good alternative. Mariucci could be a bit too big for the crowds. Aldrich may be just large enough, but is across town.

The Wolfies Arena should never have another hockey game again. Ever. In fact, rather than the taxpayers ponying up $150 million for renovations, it should be razed and the Wolfies should relocate to the X. Only fair since the Mill City is getting a new football palace to go with the baseball park. But that's a rant for another forum.

If I could go to two semis and see four teams, I'd be much more likely to go.

celly93

Post by celly93 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:23 pm

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:Since both buildings have to be cleared between semis, a larger facility that could accommodate two games would be more entertaining. The problem is, there is no real good alternative. Mariucci could be a bit too big for the crowds. Aldrich may be just large enough, but is across town.

The Wolfies Arena should never have another hockey game again. Ever. In fact, rather than the taxpayers ponying up $150 million for renovations, it should be razed and the Wolfies should relocate to the X. Only fair since the Mill City is getting a new football palace to go with the baseball park. But that's a rant for another forum.

Why not Ridder?

green4

Post by green4 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:53 am

celly93 wrote:
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:Since both buildings have to be cleared between semis, a larger facility that could accommodate two games would be more entertaining. The problem is, there is no real good alternative. Mariucci could be a bit too big for the crowds. Aldrich may be just large enough, but is across town.

Why not Ridder?
well according to rink finder.com ridder has a capacity of 3,400 while braemar has a capacity of 3,600 and BIG has 2,500

So braemar is definitly capable of housing the semis. someone said it was smaller but it is quite large.. has seating all around.

as to why they have 2 separate venues. my guess is those are the two biggest rinks in the area, really no where else to play besides yes maybe ridder but than what if the gophers are in town and will people/students from farther out like prior lake go all the way to minneapolis for a semi-final game? so that might have led them to Braemar and Big and since jefferson and edina are in the mix most years having home ice advantage would be unfair so they can't just have one they needed two.

Just my guess on the matter

HockeyGuy952

Post by HockeyGuy952 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:37 am

The whole section is getting better I've seen Kennedy has been playing better usually they are the last seed. Who do you think will be the last seed that loses to Edina? My guess is either Chan or AHA neither team looks great AHA does look a little better though

The Best in the Bizz3

Post by The Best in the Bizz3 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:30 pm

HockeyGuy952 wrote:The whole section is getting better I've seen Kennedy has been playing better usually they are the last seed. Who do you think will be the last seed that loses to Edina? My guess is either Chan or AHA neither team looks great AHA does look a little better though
The seedings are going to be

Edina 1

Burnsville/pL/Jefferson 2,3,4
Will be decided by upcoming conference games head to head

AHA/chan 5,6
Higher will win series and highest finish in conference

Kennedy 7
Putting wins together, but not enough to deserve anything higher

Shakopee 8
I believe they lost to Kennedy earlier in the year and are struggling
The best, period

Task Force 34