STA vs Shattuck

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Saint Thomas Academy vs Shattuck

Poll ended at Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:54 pm

Cadets
46%
Sabres
54%

Total votes: 24

Bonehead

Post by Bonehead »

BTW, no private school fan here but that was an awesome Effort. Kudos to STA for playing in the big sandbox and pulling it off.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

If you still have any doubt who the best team is in the state right now..and you don't think its STA?? Do me a favor and punch yourself in the face about 6 times.
Bonehead

Post by Bonehead »

Hey, they beat the #1 team in the nation. I don't think they could beat SSM 3 out of 5, but tonight...

I really thought they were gonna get pounded after the 1st period but they are a TOUGH bunch of kids. Good luck Class A.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:Two+ years of listening to hshockeywatcher say that STA was at the right competition level at A.... And each year they played and competed with the SSM prep team.
Man, you must really have some blinders on when you read my posts if you think that has been my opinion...
They played once, two years ago and Shattuck won 8-4...
Ya, ya I remember you saying it was a joke they were playing A Hockey.

They've played the last couple years.

We'll help you along.
salol44

Post by salol44 »

Congrats to sta....good job of recruiting. I hope you are proud. When do you play the Wild?
Bonehead

Post by Bonehead »

salol44 wrote:Congrats to sta....good job of recruiting. I hope you are proud. When do you play the Wild?
I'm not into private school playing in the public school pool either, but that's just trolling. The Private school beat THE Private school and that's pretty cool.
barry_mcconnell

Post by barry_mcconnell »

This was an interesting matchup. Why wasn't it covered on mnhockeyhub?
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

barry_mcconnell wrote:This was an interesting matchup. Why wasn't it covered on mnhockeyhub?
Probably because SSM is not a MSHSL team.
barry_mcconnell

Post by barry_mcconnell »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
barry_mcconnell wrote:This was an interesting matchup. Why wasn't it covered on mnhockeyhub?
True, but STA is MSHSL and the game is interesting to many people who follow MN high school hockey. Also, don't they list the results of a game between MN and WI teams?

It's kind of silly to pretend SSM doesn't exist.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

barry_mcconnell wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
True, but STA is MSHSL and the game is interesting to many people who follow MN high school hockey. Also, don't they list the results of a game between MN and WI teams?

It's kind of silly to pretend SSM doesn't exist.
It is listed under Wednesday's results. When you asked why it wasn't "covered" I thought you meant why didn't they write a story about it.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

Not sure about everyone's opinion, but I personally would enjoy watching a top HS team play SSM if it were televised.

Several years ago, when AHA kept SSM on its schedule and was rostering top talent, I often made the trip to Richfield to watch. Great hockey.

8)
The Puck
LGW
salol44

Post by salol44 »

Bonehead wrote:
salol44 wrote:Congrats to sta....good job of recruiting. I hope you are proud. When do you play the Wild?
I'm not into private school playing in the public school pool either, but that's just trolling. The Private school beat THE Private school and that's pretty cool.
No. It's not cool at all.
celly93

Post by celly93 »

Anybody know if SSM was treating this as an actual game or as extra ice time? I remember when AHA beat (or tied, I cant remember) SSM recently, people were saying that SSM was rolling four lines.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

celly93 wrote:Anybody know if SSM was treating this as an actual game or as extra ice time? I remember when AHA beat (or tied, I cant remember) SSM recently, people were saying that SSM was rolling four lines.
Shattuck definitely played to win. They matched up lines and had first and second power play and penalty kill units.

The year Holy Angels beat them HA had to much speed for SSM to handle and SSM fell behind by giving up numerous breakaways on long up the middle passes.
MoreCowBell

Post by MoreCowBell »

I was at the game SSM was rolling 4 lines and 6 d through the whole game and to me SSM did not have their normal intensity, it appeared the game meant a lot more for ST, not taking anything away from ST great game. ST really eliminated SSM's rebounds and lack of sustained pressure.
sicksauce23

Post by sicksauce23 »

MoreCowBell wrote:I was at the game SSM was rolling 4 lines and 6 d through the whole game and to me SSM did not have their normal intensity, it appeared the game meant a lot more for ST, not taking anything away from ST great game. ST really eliminated SSM's rebounds and lack of sustained pressure.
FYI- STA rolled 4 lines thru regulation as well. 3 centers and 4 sets of wings. They played 5 D because Daugherty was out
deacon

Post by deacon »

salol44 wrote:
Bonehead wrote:
No. It's not cool at all.
As an STA graduate, you are my new favorite poster. Where have you the last 4 years? Very entertaining, good stuff.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

MoreCowBell wrote:I was at the game SSM was rolling 4 lines and 6 d through the whole game and to me SSM did not have their normal intensity, it appeared the game meant a lot more for ST, not taking anything away from ST great game. ST really eliminated SSM's rebounds and lack of sustained pressure.
I don't deny that SSM might win in a series but this game was played in front of the biggest crowds they will play in front of in MN and they really want to beat MN high school teams.
hockeymannorth

Post by hockeymannorth »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
I don't deny that SSM might win in a series but this game was played in front of the biggest crowds they will play in front of in MN and they really want to beat MN high school teams.
I think STA has a bigger payroll then SSM and I don't think SSM buys houses for players parents like STA