Braemar Ice Arena Hornets Nest Annex

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

warmskin

Braemar Ice Arena Hornets Nest Annex

Post by warmskin »

Anybody have any insights why the new addition to the Breamar Ice Arena in Edina is taking so long? The Braemar web site says it was supposed to open in December. I do believe everything I read on the Internet.
57special

Post by 57special »

I always thought the Dec completion date to be overly optimistic. Rush a construction job too much and you get a mess.
green4

Post by green4 »

the locker rooms have been done since the holiday tournament in december. Velocity is suppose to open Feb 1st and General sports on march 1st now
warmskin

Post by warmskin »

Any idea on potential cost over runs on the project?
green4

Post by green4 »

warmskin wrote:Any idea on potential cost over runs on the project?
no idea
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

warmskin wrote:Any idea on potential cost over runs on the project?
Doesn't matter, cake-eaters can handle it, no problem.
warmskin

Post by warmskin »

Edina has a number of other venues looking for funding so not sure what bank account the money will come out of. Braemar already looses plenty of money on top of paying for a new rink chiller last month. Even in Edina the backyard money tree runs dry.
warmskin

Velocity opening early Feb at Braemar

Post by warmskin »

I received an email from Velocity that they are opening early Feb at Braemar but Braemar Ice Arena dated web site makes no mention of the opening. Wonder what is going on over there.
green4

Re: Velocity opening early Feb at Braemar

Post by green4 »

warmskin wrote:I received an email from Velocity that they are opening early Feb at Braemar but Braemar Ice Arena dated web site makes no mention of the opening. Wonder what is going on over there.
according to Braemar management velocity is scheduled for Feb 1st maybe early Feb if a bit behind but i woudn't be too worried about the website. Early Feb it will be open. As to your other post Braemar lost lots of cash last year but in the summer they were taking over by the city of Edina as i guess they were separate from the city before and so im guessing they might have some money now that they are working with the city.
warmskin

Post by warmskin »

Braemar Arena is run by the City of Edina Parks and Rec. Regardless of what Edina City department runs Braemar it is still the taxpayers of Edina that pick up any operating losses at Braemar. It seems the operating losses at Braemar are not an open book especially the $70K the new chiller cost for the west arena this winter on top of the $40k to try to fix it before it completely broke. I am not sure there is anybody at Breamar that understands the mechanicals of how to run an ice rink. The guy who runs BIG is an HVAC expert who is well respected by other rink managers.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

warmskin wrote:Braemar Arena is run by the City of Edina Parks and Rec. Regardless of what Edina City department runs Braemar it is still the taxpayers of Edina that pick up any operating losses at Braemar. It seems the operating losses at Braemar are not an open book especially the $70K the new chiller cost for the west arena this winter on top of the $40k to try to fix it before it completely broke. I am not sure there is anybody at Breamar that understands the mechanicals of how to run an ice rink. The guy who runs BIG is an HVAC expert who is well respected by other rink managers.
Seems like you know quite a bit about Braemar. I heard that they will recover a large part of the cost from companies that were supposed to be doing regular maintenance and didn't. Most rinks don't have an HVAC expert running them. As I recall, there were some overruns at BIG when they went down a few summers ago.
GolfGuy7900

Re: Braemar Ice Arena Hornets Nest Annex

Post by GolfGuy7900 »

warmskin wrote:Anybody have any insights why the new addition to the Breamar Ice Arena in Edina is taking so long? The Braemar web site says it was supposed to open in December. I do believe everything I read on the Internet.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine." - Abe Lincoln