Class A Rankings 1-27-13

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will end up as the top seed of 8A?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:19 am

East Grand Forks
45%
Thief River Falls
48%
Warroad
6%

Total votes: 31

northern_guy

Post by northern_guy »

DKS1962 wrote:Highschoolhockeywatcher I appreciate your rankings. I personally don 't consider the private school all star teams when looking at the class A rankings. I am interested in the small town A schools.

Northern guy doesn't get it. Keep ripping small town hockey.Small A schools are not going to be deep in talent. Lots of freshman playing in A hockey because of the lack of depth.

I thought that was the best when LF beat the two privates for consolation at state and bummed that Hermantown lost to the St Thomas all stars.

Go Princeton, Hermantown,LF, Apollo and all the other legitimate A schools that Northernguy likes to rip.
i have never ripped hermantown...love them. i dislike metro private schools playing class A...apollo plays a horrendously bad schedule and does not deserve to get any consideration for the top 20 is my point. little falls is highly overrated also.
northern_guy

Post by northern_guy »

BobSaget wrote:I've been pretty high on Apollo all year. I've seen them play several times and they've competed with everyone (other than Cathedral). I think they are a good team with some young talent.

I've said this to my buddies and have been laughed at...I'd be more surprised to see Cathedral in the state tournament this year than Apollo. Apollo works harder and has the benefit of playing in a weaker section. If their goalie can play decent down the stretch I think they might be the best team in 6A.

That said, I'd like to see both Apollo and SCC in the state tournament. That'd be good for the hockey in the city...not that northern_guy cares at all about the good of the hockey in the city as a whole as he only cares about one team and disrespects the rest.
this post summed up yoru knowledge of highschool hockey and talent. SCC has a much better chance that apollo. STA would beat apollo 20-0 in the state tourney and i woudl love to see it though!
GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 »

northern_guy wrote:
BobSaget wrote:I've been pretty high on Apollo all year. I've seen them play several times and they've competed with everyone (other than Cathedral). I think they are a good team with some young talent.

I've said this to my buddies and have been laughed at...I'd be more surprised to see Cathedral in the state tournament this year than Apollo. Apollo works harder and has the benefit of playing in a weaker section. If their goalie can play decent down the stretch I think they might be the best team in 6A.

That said, I'd like to see both Apollo and SCC in the state tournament. That'd be good for the hockey in the city...not that northern_guy cares at all about the good of the hockey in the city as a whole as he only cares about one team and disrespects the rest.
this post summed up yoru knowledge of highschool hockey and talent. SCC has a much better chance that apollo. STA would beat apollo 20-0 in the state tourney and i woudl love to see it though!
Those boys could lose 20-0 against STA and it would still be the time of their lives because they got to play in the state tournament. You fail to realize how much hockey at Apollo has improved the last 5 seasons with an improving record in each of those seasons and now a threat to make a state tournament.
BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

northern_guy wrote:

Although I feel that I know a little bit about high school hockey I'll allow you your opinion.

Did I say Apollo was better than Cathedral? Firm no on that one. They play in a far worse section which will allow them the opportunity to have a shot at the state tournament. Like I said...personally, I would be more surprised if Cathedral made it than Apollo for a variety of factors (less competition, they are harder working, etc.).

That said, was it not you who said that SCC would roll through Rogers last year in the playoffs? How'd that go? That showed your knowledge of the game.

I appreciate your excitement over my alma mater, but as a Cathedral grad who played in a state tournament myself I feel you are nothing more than an embarrassment to the program.
Throwback

Post by Throwback »

"Class-A Private Metro All Star Teams" =D> \:D/
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

pekyman wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:
northern_guy wrote:
with the disparity of class a teams, to be a top 15 team you need to be able to play a top 5 team without getting embarrassed by score. apollo could not hang with any top 5 team in any poll ranking. maybe they should start scheduling better class A opponents if they want respect. but playing river lakes, northern lakes, breckenridge, fergus falls isnt going to get that done. play a better schedule and we will talk.
If that's your criteria, then there would be virtually no one ranked.

The way Class A is right now, there are TWO teams in the top tier right now, a handful [depending on who you ask] of teams below them, then a pond with a bunch of fish in it and really up to personal preference for how things go I'd say.
We'll see how TRF does hosting Breck, but my guess is they'll prove the the top two are far and above the rest.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in Class A next year with St Thomas leaving and Breck only graduating 5 seniors.
Wow, 2 Class-A Private Metro All Star Teams sitting at the top of the Class A!
Who would have guessed!! You must be so proud!!!

Imo the only interesting thing would be if Breck found some character and followed your team out of here.

By the way, this is the way Class A has been for the past 14 years or so.

Talk about arrogance... :roll:
Where was any arrogance in my post? I'm simply commenting on the current teams in Class A and how they are ranked. If you have read the things I post, I have been saying for the last couple years that St Thomas wasn't that much better than the teams they were ranked above, as that's what scores indicated.

I think it's different this year.

And no, Class A has not had only two teams with a legitimate chance at winning state at almost any point in the last 15 years. The only times that could be argued were when at least one of the schools was public.
northern_guy

Post by northern_guy »

BobSaget wrote:
northern_guy wrote:

Although I feel that I know a little bit about high school hockey I'll allow you your opinion.

Did I say Apollo was better than Cathedral? Firm no on that one. They play in a far worse section which will allow them the opportunity to have a shot at the state tournament. Like I said...personally, I would be more surprised if Cathedral made it than Apollo for a variety of factors (less competition, they are harder working, etc.).

That said, was it not you who said that SCC would roll through Rogers last year in the playoffs? How'd that go? That showed your knowledge of the game.

I appreciate your excitement over my alma mater, but as a Cathedral grad who played in a state tournament myself I feel you are nothing more than an embarrassment to the program.

you are a pure tool. apollo realyl showed up last night and beat willmar 2-1....that has to put them in the top 10 now i suppose? joke.
GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 »

northern_guy wrote:
BobSaget wrote:
northern_guy wrote:

you are a pure tool. apollo realyl showed up last night and beat willmar 2-1....that has to put them in the top 10 now i suppose? joke.
Maybe if you went to the game last night you would realize Apollo was night and day better than Willmar last night, Apollo was also without one of their top forwards who hopefully makes a speedy recovery in time for playoffs! But Apollo was the better team last night and missed numerous chances and the Willmar goalie kept them in it last night, Apollo outshot them 2:1 also, a win is a win.

I suppose since Wayzata barely beat a 3 or 4 win Osseo team last week we need to drop them based on your logic.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Thoughts on what's happened this week?

Some have said they don't like Little Falls ranked, which doesn't seem unreasonable.

Breck and TRF just went to OT in a game Breck had to come from behind twice to win, while TG didn't seem like they were on the ice much of the game at St Thomas. It'll be interesting to see how today's Totino/Hermantown game goes.

Lourdes? They recently lost to HF, BSM and Tartan; any of those losses matter?

Thoughts on Marshall? They were a preseason top 5, have lost to Rapids, BSM, a good WI team, and 8 different Class A teams, the lowest of which was ranked #10 who they lost to by 1 goal. Not a top 10 Class A team, sure, but are there 5 other teams better than them to rank above them?

Was East Grand Forks too low last week? Their only losses are to TRF and to Moorhead. Should they have fallen out of the top 4?

After looking more at Princeton, they seem to deserve to be ranked...but how high?
Hockey North

Post by Hockey North »

Marshall has been slowed way down by key injuries. Right now there are 4 players out. I think this situation will improve over the next 2 weeks as all of these guys will be coming back.
shooter803

Post by shooter803 »

Thoughts on Marshall? They were a preseason top 5, have lost to Rapids, BSM, a good WI team, and 8 different Class A teams, the lowest of which was ranked #10 who they lost to by 1 goal. Not a top 10 Class A team, sure, but are there 5 other teams better than them to rank above them?

Marshall being a top 5 preseason rank was just crazy, the talent they lost after last season was obviously huge. They are probably a 8-10 if everyone is healthy and if they finish strong could be a 4-6 next season - but they still need reliable goal tending, someone to put the puck in the net besides a senior & a defense w/ some seasoning to it - Topper fans need to wait for next season as Denfeld is the best team in 7A this season no doubt.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:Thoughts on what's happened this week?

Some have said they don't like Little Falls ranked, which doesn't seem unreasonable.

Breck and TRF just went to OT in a game Breck had to come from behind twice to win, while TG didn't seem like they were on the ice much of the game at St Thomas. It'll be interesting to see how today's Totino/Hermantown game goes.

Lourdes? They recently lost to HF, BSM and Tartan; any of those losses matter?

Was East Grand Forks too low last week? Their only losses are to TRF and to Moorhead. Should they have fallen out of the top 4?

After looking more at Princeton, they seem to deserve to be ranked...but how high?
STA
EGF
Breck
Hermantown
TRF
Denfeld
Totino
Warroad
Lourdes
Princeton
Hockey North

Post by Hockey North »

shooter803 wrote:

Marshall being a top 5 preseason rank was just crazy, the talent they lost after last season was obviously huge. They are probably a 8-10 if everyone is healthy and if they finish strong could be a 4-6 next season - but they still need reliable goal tending, someone to put the puck in the net besides a senior & a defense w/ some seasoning to it - Topper fans need to wait for next season as Denfeld is the best team in 7A this season no doubt.

Haha. I guess we will see come playoff time.Thats when it matters. Playing a tough schedule will hopefully pay off down the road.
sandstrom

Post by sandstrom »

Hockey North wrote:
shooter803 wrote:

Haha. I guess we will see come playoff time.Thats when it matters. Playing a tough schedule will hopefully pay off down the road.
yep denfeld is a lot better than marshall. they were missing one player vs denfeld and they got dominated by a much better denfeld team. their defense is brutal. they just are a step behind. dont get so offended that your team is average
northern_guy

Post by northern_guy »

BobSaget wrote:
northern_guy wrote:

I was on your team
joris016

Post by joris016 »

HockeyNorth

Have you actually watched the Toppers play this year? Especially against Denfeld the other night? I'll grant you this, their first period against the Hunters was arguably their best period of hockey all season so far, but if you have watched Marshall this year, they play pretty good hockey in the 1st period and then get worn down because they are smaller than every hockey team they play (except the Eveleth's of the world). They have also, on several occasions, given up very fast goals. In the 2nd period against Denfeld the other night, the Hunters scored 6 seconds into the 2nd. Same thing happened against Hermantown. They don't have the size or skill this year on defense to match up against a very, very good Denfeld squad. Don't let personal bias blind you man. Yes you are right, stranger things have happened come playoff time, but I think the Toppers will struggle even this week against a defensively good Virginia team that blocks a lot of shots. If the Toppers lose, they drop to probably the 4th seed. Any way, getting ahead of myself. BTW, I'm a Topper fan which is why I have seen them on 5 occasions this year. I just don't think anyone in section 7 is on the same level as Denfeld this year.
in2hockey

Post by in2hockey »

Northern_guy what year did you go to the state tournament? Were you the water boy or manager? Sounds like you don't know a thing about hockey.
BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

BobSaget wrote:
northern_guy wrote:

Gonna have to pat myself on the back, eh northern_guy?
Last edited by BobSaget on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 »

Cant wait till Northern Guy says something...