Holy Family (13-4) @ Benilde (14-5) 1-30-13 7:30pm

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:41 am

Benilde-St Margaret's
73%
Holy Family Catholic
27%

Total votes: 22

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

HShockeywatcher wrote:http://mshsl.org/mshsl/googlemap_new.as ... &dclass=AA

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the 6AA/2AA/3AA teams. There are many ways they could change these sections up. If they waited to create the sections until after teams had opted up, Prior Lake could end up in 1AA.

If it is really about geography, is there a reason Roseau, Moorhead, Bemidji, Rapids, East, Cloquet, Brainerd and the northern most of the city teams are not in one section?
I assume this was meant to be on another thread, but...aside from the potential riot from northern fans if this were to ever happen, I'd think travel times come into play. 7AA is more or less built along the I-35 corridor, while 8AA (minus Roseau and Bemidji) is sort of along I-94. Even though Duluth to Elk River and Moorhead to St. Cloud are both shorter road trips than Moorhead to Duluth.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

karl(east) wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:http://mshsl.org/mshsl/googlemap_new.as ... &dclass=AA

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the 6AA/2AA/3AA teams. There are many ways they could change these sections up. If they waited to create the sections until after teams had opted up, Prior Lake could end up in 1AA.

If it is really about geography, is there a reason Roseau, Moorhead, Bemidji, Rapids, East, Cloquet, Brainerd and the northern most of the city teams are not in one section?
I assume this was meant to be on another thread, but...aside from the potential riot from northern fans if this were to ever happen, I'd think travel times come into play. 7AA is more or less built along the I-35 corridor, while 8AA (minus Roseau and Bemidji) is sort of along I-94. Even though Duluth to Elk River and Moorhead to St. Cloud are both shorter road trips than Moorhead to Duluth.
My original intent was about Holy Family. Was simply going to point out that they could easily get put into section 2AA. If that were to happen for next year, they may actually be the team to beat in the section.

Then it went into other things I noticed as I was looking at the map...
You're likely right on the main reason being historical than anything else. From simply a travel issue, creating two sections in which added drive time is created to twice as many teams seems silly. The section games could be played in Bemidji; seems like less drive time than all the teams who currently drive all over now.

After looking at the map, it appears to be a lot more than geography at play. That's all.
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

That's why they used to call them regions for so many years and that's still the primary determinate when placing teams in sections as much as some people want it to be for competitive reasons.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Gov78 wrote:That's why they used to call them regions for so many years.
Regardless of what you call them, they seem to have more to do with history/politics than simple geography/finances.
Not saying whether that's right or wrong, just making an observation based on a map.