Minnetonka (14-4-1) at Duluth East (15-4), 1/29/13

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Skippers
50%
Hounds
50%

Total votes: 14

karl(east)

Minnetonka (14-4-1) at Duluth East (15-4), 1/29/13

Post by karl(east) »

A pair of top ten teams do battle at the Heritage Center at 5:30 on Tuesday. East beat Minnetonka 4-1 back in the Schwan Cup, but the Skippers have been hot lately, going undefeated through the first round of Lake Conference play. Both teams are also fairly similar, as they both boast a strong defensive corps and for the most part rely on their top lines for scoring, though both have been developing some depth in their recent winning streaks. The game will mean a lot for rankings, if nothing else; a win for East would make them 4-1 against the Lake teams, while continued success for Tonka will make them tough to dislodge from the top 5.

Thoughts?
tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 »

I agree. Look for a close, defensive battle between these squads. I don't expect the score to be high at all; in fact, I'd be surprised if one team got more than 3 goals.

I'm interested to see who Tonka puts in net. Ciaccio did not have his best game against East in December but has been playing better as of late. Berger, on the other hand, has also been playing solid.

Do we know if this one is going to be broadcasted live anywhere yet?
GTTN

Post by GTTN »

My guess is Cicciao plays Tuesday on the road and Berger plays Saturday at home.

I think this game could be big for debate on who is higher seed at the end of the season between mtka and way. Wayzata beat DE and tonka has one loss to them so far.

Mtka has some people dinged up...might play a factor.

DE 4
MTKA 2
tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 »

GTTN wrote:My guess is Cicciao plays Tuesday on the road and Berger plays Saturday at home.

I think this game could be big for debate on who is higher seed at the end of the season between mtka and way. Wayzata beat DE and tonka has one loss to them so far.

DE 4
MTKA 2
They should have a full roster on Tuesday. I don't think anyone's dinged up
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

tonkafan77 wrote:Do we know if this one is going to be broadcasted live anywhere yet?
No video, but a radio station in Duluth is picking it up: http://webc560.com/2012-twin-ports-high ... h-schools/
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Kind of a weird starting time if I saw correctly. 5:30?
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

karl(east) wrote:
tonkafan77 wrote:Do we know if this one is going to be broadcasted live anywhere yet?
No video, but a radio station in Duluth is picking it up: http://webc560.com/2012-twin-ports-high ... h-schools/
Anyone successful in connecting to the online audio?

Can someone post scores?
Wside

Post by Wside »

Gov78 wrote:
karl(east) wrote:
Anyone successful in connecting to the online audio?

Can someone post scores?
2-2 after the 2nd
duluth dave

Post by duluth dave »

4 to 2 east final moore with hatrick
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

What a great game--one of the finest I've seen this year. Tonka jumped out to a 2-0 lead with a pair of PP goals in the first, but after that East carried a bit more of the play, and certainly had more quality chances. That was when Meirs Moore went to work, putting together a natural hat trick from the blue line, all on the PP. If he was a borderline finalist for Mr. Hockey before, this was the sort of performance that could get him one of those last spots.

There were zero even strength goals in this one, which gives you an idea of how good these two teams are defensively. Both teams had players making intelligent little plays to disrupt chances, all night long. Tonka had a PP in the game's final five minutes, but East killed it with authority. The East 3rd line was key as well, ccreating a bunch of good chances, even though they didn't finish. That group has come a long way this season.

Great win for East, but no one hands out trophies in January. On to Lakeville South, which will be an interesting one. Thanks to Tonka for a fun game in front of a packed house; we'll see how they do in round 2 of Lake play.
GTTN

Post by GTTN »

tonkafan77 wrote:
GTTN wrote:My guess is Cicciao plays Tuesday on the road and Berger plays Saturday at home.

DE 4
MTKA 2
Tonka played two forwards short. One first liner and a sophomore who had been playing 2nd line. Both injured...
phil mccracken

Post by phil mccracken »

GTTN wrote:
tonkafan77 wrote:

DE 4
MTKA 2
well there you have it
Tonka played two forwards short. One first liner and a sophomore who had been playing 2nd line. Both injured...