Duluth East at Cloquet Monday January 4|Online Stream

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

Duluth East at Cloquet Monday January 4|Online Stream

Post by kniven »

I will be streaming both jv and varsity games at the following website this Monday. Should be fun =)

http://www.highschoolcube.com/profiles/ ... ke-niven-1
BlueLineSpecial

Re: Duluth East at Cloquet Monday January 4|Online Stream

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

kniven wrote:I will be streaming both jv and varsity games at the following website this Monday. Should be fun =)

2014? :wink:
dulutheastfan

Post by dulutheastfan »

If East plays there game should be no problem. Play tight D and dont give up odd man's, physical play and finishing there checks is also a key to East's success.

Im thinking....

Hounds-4
Jacks-1

Shots
41-21 East :?
"Nothing Runs like a Greyhound"
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

I think East will win this game 4-2 with an empty netter. This will be a closer game than the one back in December, and will setup an interesting potential semi-final matchup.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

My advice to the Hounds in this one: forecheck, forecheck, forecheck. Against Eden Prairie last week, the Cloquet D really struggled to complete breakout passes when they were being bothered by the EP forwards. It'll be hard for the Cloquet forward to have a big night if they can't make it out of their own zone, or if the big guns have to try to go coast-to-coast against the stout East D.

Cloquet also has to decide what to do with their lines. Against EP, they abandoned their balanced lines and went with Kuhlman-B. Michaud-W. Michaud. That group generated a lot more chances, but that naturally came at the expense of some chances for the lower lines, and the top group was gassed by the end of the game.

Whoever establishes the tone early in this one will have a distinct edge. If East establishes the forecheck well they should be able to grind down the thinner Jacks, but if Cloquet can pop a few early, it'll be a thriller.

I suspect I'll have to get to the Lumberdome early for this one...late-season meetings between these two teams there just ooze with playoff atmosphere.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

karl(east) wrote:My advice to the Hounds in this one: forecheck, forecheck, forecheck. Against Eden Prairie last week, the Cloquet D really struggled to complete breakout passes when they were being bothered by the EP forwards. It'll be hard for the Cloquet forward to have a big night if they can't make it out of their own zone, or if the big guns have to try to go coast-to-coast against the stout East D.

Cloquet also has to decide what to do with their lines. Against EP, they abandoned their balanced lines and went with Kuhlman-B. Michaud-W. Michaud. That group generated a lot more chances, but that naturally came at the expense of some chances for the lower lines, and the top group was gassed by the end of the game.

Whoever establishes the tone early in this one will have a distinct edge. If East establishes the forecheck well they should be able to grind down the thinner Jacks, but if Cloquet can pop a few early, it'll be a thriller.

I suspect I'll have to get to the Lumberdome early for this one...late-season meetings between these two teams there just ooze with playoff atmosphere.
Given both teams are ranked in the top 20, do you think if they meet in the semi-finals Amsoil Arena will be close to full capacity?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Given both teams are ranked in the top 20, do you think if they meet in the semi-finals Amsoil Arena will be close to full capacity?
You really, really, really want to see an East-Cloquet semi, don't you? :lol:

I think the attendance will depend somewhat on Monday's game; if East wins big, people may lose interest, whereas if Cloquet can pull it out, that should drive the rivalry back up to mid-00s levels. No matter what the place should be pretty full, though as always, East will be on break that week, which will hurt attendance some. It will also help if Rapids is in the later semi, in which case we can count on the Fan Alliance to fill more seats in the arena.

UMD is on the road that weekend, so Semifinal Saturday will be the biggest show in town. I'd guess 4,000-5,000, counting the fans there for the later semi.

Of course, if the Jacks beat East or somehow otherwise snag the 3-seed, this will be a moot point, unless they meet in the final.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

karl(east) wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:Given both teams are ranked in the top 20, do you think if they meet in the semi-finals Amsoil Arena will be close to full capacity?
You really, really, really want to see an East-Cloquet semi, don't you? :lol:

I think the attendance will depend somewhat on Monday's game; if East wins big, people may lose interest, whereas if Cloquet can pull it out, that should drive the rivalry back up to mid-00s levels. No matter what the place should be pretty full, though as always, East will be on break that week, which will hurt attendance some. It will also help if Rapids is in the later semi, in which case we can count on the Fan Alliance to fill more seats in the arena.

UMD is on the road that weekend, so Semifinal Saturday will be the biggest show in town. I'd guess 4,000-5,000, counting the fans there for the later semi.

Of course, if the Jacks beat East or somehow otherwise snag the 3-seed, this will be a moot point, unless they meet in the final.
You probably can't tell I'm getting section tourney fever...

I'll be excited no matter how the seeds turn out, but slightly disappointed if Cloquet isn't in that 4/5 slot.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Getting back on topic a bit, if I were Cloquet I would have a forward committed to shadowing Meirs Moore at the point and never let him get a clean look all game, he's just too dangerous to give opportunities too. The other thing with beating East IMO is don't go into a defensive shell. Do your best to rush up ice with fury into the offensive zone and make East's d work harder than they have all year and shoot often, don't wait for a perfect one timer, East has had suspect goaltending all year.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
karl(east) wrote:My advice to the Hounds in this one: forecheck, forecheck, forecheck. Against Eden Prairie last week, the Cloquet D really struggled to complete breakout passes when they were being bothered by the EP forwards. It'll be hard for the Cloquet forward to have a big night if they can't make it out of their own zone, or if the big guns have to try to go coast-to-coast against the stout East D.

Given both teams are ranked in the top 20, do you think if they meet in the semi-finals Amsoil Arena will be close to full capacity?
So Cloquet will be the 4 or 5 seed?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

elliott70 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:

So Cloquet will be the 4 or 5 seed?
I am thinking #3 after beating DEast tonight.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

They will lose tonight, win a close one tomorrow, and beat East in the 1/4 game. Elliott, you must be thinking St. Francis 2 and Forest Lake 4? :lol:
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

It will be East/ER in the 1/4 game. Rapids prob won't even make semis like last year
TheHockeyDJ wrote:They will lose tonight, win a close one tomorrow, and beat East in the 1/4 game. Elliott, you must be thinking St. Francis 2 and Forest Lake 4? :lol:
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Getting back on topic a bit, if I were Cloquet I would have a forward committed to shadowing Meirs Moore at the point and never let him get a clean look all game, he's just too dangerous to give opportunities too. The other thing with beating East IMO is don't go into a defensive shell. Do your best to rush up ice with fury into the offensive zone and make East's d work harder than they have all year and shoot often, don't wait for a perfect one timer, East has had suspect goaltending all year.
Shadowing Moore is an interesting idea, but I disagree on the other two points. All four teams that have beaten East this year have done so by going into a defensive shell. Breck and Wayzata mucked up the neutral zone and didn't let East generate many quality chances, while Centennial and Denfeld collapsed and played well enough to lure the East defensemen too far into the play, and then sprung breakaways behind them. Cloquet actually did try to skate with East in the first meeting, and it didn't work all that well; they struggled to enter the zone cleanly, and in time, the Hounds wore them down.

The Jacks' dilemma is that they may not be good enough defensively to sit around in a shell and try to win that way, unless East is having a bad night putting the puck in the net--which they do, from time to time. A team like Grand Rapids, on the other hand, could probably pull it off (and nearly did, when they played at Heritage in January).

Also, Parker had an ugly stretch for about two weeks, but by in large has had a pretty strong season. In five games against top ten teams, he has a .947 Sv% and a 1.2 GAA. Catch him on a bad night and maybe just throwing shots on net will work, but when he's on, he's tough to beat.
TennJed

Post by TennJed »

I believe a few chinks in DE's armor were exposed during last weeks Lakeville game. Couple of blu-liners possibly had sore necks the next morning.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Getting back on topic a bit, if I were Cloquet I would have a forward committed to shadowing Meirs Moore at the point and never let him get a clean look all game, he's just too dangerous to give opportunities too. The other thing with beating East IMO is don't go into a defensive shell. Do your best to rush up ice with fury into the offensive zone and make East's d work harder than they have all year and shoot often, don't wait for a perfect one timer, East has had suspect goaltending all year.
You have got to be kidding me. Shadow a defensemen? :lol:

How about they just play a floater near the red line the whole game and see if they can get a break away every once in a while. :roll:
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

What time is puck drop?
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
pipersniper12

Post by pipersniper12 »

north_bear wrote:What time is puck drop?
Hunt|Fish|Hockey
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

pipersniper12 wrote:
north_bear wrote:What time is puck drop?
10-4
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

BodyShots wrote:
You have got to be kidding me. Shadow a defensemen? :lol:

How about they just play a floater near the red line the whole game and see if they can get a break away every once in a while. :roll:
I know of a team that used that strategy to beat Elk River in the 2006 semi finals. Got the info from an injured player before the game that they were going to do that. So...Boom!
pipersniper12

Re: Duluth East at Cloquet Monday January 4|Online Stream

Post by pipersniper12 »

kniven wrote:I will be streaming both jv and varsity games at the following website this Monday. Should be fun =)

Is there a play by play with the video feed or mute like the JV game?
Hunt|Fish|Hockey
The Insider

Post by The Insider »

Is the video feed extremely choppy for anyone else?
pipersniper12

Post by pipersniper12 »

2-0 Cloquet 7 minutes left in 1st.

Yeah, not the highest quality but I can't complain.
Hunt|Fish|Hockey
pipersniper12

Post by pipersniper12 »

Now 2-2 DE answers quickly.
Hunt|Fish|Hockey
The Insider

Post by The Insider »

Surprised Meirs Moore hasn't made a college commitment yet. Stud.