Freshman leaves Benilde mid-season for the WHL

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Should High School Players leave mid-season for Juniors?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 47

D3Referee

Post by D3Referee » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:28 pm

mnpuckster wrote:Pauly is the Head coach, and he can make decisions that he finds to be appropriate.

Well that explains your backwards thinking. Parents make decisions for their children that they find appropriate. Good coaches support those decisions and do what they can to prepare players for the next step.

You never did speak to the main issue ... what TEAM won Mr. Hockey last year? Oh that's right, it's all about ONE guy. Nice message ...
Last edited by D3Referee on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:32 pm

Parents don't make decisions about the team. They can choose for their son whatever they please, but the real backward thinking is to say that The Baer have ANY say in what Pauly does with his team.

Mr. Hockey was the main issue? I dont think it was. You tried to claim the tournament was all about Besse, when clearly, it wasn't. No Besse, same tournament.

All team sports have individual awards. That does not mean that it is all about individuals. This group of kids will be gone next year, and no one will care. Next group up.

Outside of parents, friends, neighbors maybe, who really cares about individuals within HS hockey? If so, you need to get a damn life.
Last edited by mnpuckster on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D3Referee

Post by D3Referee » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:33 pm

mnpuckster wrote:Parents don't make decisions about the team. They can choose for their son whatever they please, but the real backward thinking is to say that The Baer have ANY say in what Pauly does with his team.
The issue isn't what Pauley is doing to his team. The issue is what Pauley is doing to this kid. It's sickening. He shouldn't be allowed to coach kids anymore after this debacle. At least not without some serious inner reflection, a sincere apology and some reasonable restitution/repercussions

mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:36 pm

Debacle? :roll:
Last edited by mnpuckster on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D3Referee

Post by D3Referee » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:37 pm

mnpuckster wrote:Outside of parents, friends, neighbors maybe, who really cares about individuals within HS hockey? If so, you need to get a damn life.
I'm all for getting rid of the trophy, or any trophy that rewards individuals over team. I'm also for getting rid of coaches who think they are bigger than the game and/or the team they coach. This type of blatant arrogance has no place in our game, in our State, or around our kids.

Seems like Pauley has forgotten what its all about. I am sure right now he is regretting his actions, but he needs to back up that regret with positive action and do right by this kid and this team.
Last edited by D3Referee on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:41 pm

Sorry, didnt realize it was Mr. Baer. It does suck for him that he didnt follow team rules. But because Pauly didnt give Alec the special treatment he has always gotten, Pauly is the bad guy?

Entitlement generation I guess. Good luck with the W.

D3Referee

Post by D3Referee » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:43 pm

mnpuckster wrote:Entitlement generation I guess.
Apparently Pauley feels that he is. I thought coaches were more mature ... this coach feels he's entitled to make his own rules and mess with kids lives that dissent from his personal philosophies. Very sad
Last edited by D3Referee on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:44 pm

What exactly did Pauly do so wrong?

Were these rules known to Alec and parents at the time? Did they break the team rules?

What else is there that I must be missing?

Aldo Raine

Post by Aldo Raine » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:44 pm

Hey Mn puckster, what would you say if it was Wahlin that was looking at the WHL?

D3Referee

Post by D3Referee » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:48 pm

mnpuckster wrote:What exactly did Pauly do so wrong?

Were these rules known to Alec and parents at the time? Did they break the team rules?

What else is there that I must be missing?
Apparently missing a whole boatload. The Baer family carefully chose a weekend that BSM did not play so they could enjoy a weekend away at Vancouver. Alec had skated there in the fall and wanted to watch a game.

He called the coach to let him know he would be out of the country and would miss a practice.

End of story.

Pauley freaked out at the thought of Baer possibly leaving BSM early and thought he'd make a pre-emptive strike against a 15 year old by throwing him off the team. He's a grade A jackass and I'm glad he's getting exposed for it.

You keep having his back though mnpuckster ... there's a sucker born every minute

mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:48 pm

If he wanted to play in the W, then go right ahead.

I couldnt care less what Baer does, where he plays. Its only bothersome when things didnt go his way at BSM, he bails midseason, and then blames Pauly for the Alec's and Alec's parents decisions.

Rules are rules. If he wanted to continue to play for the Red Knights, than do what the other 20 kids on the team do, and follow the rules. He may be a special player, but he isnt above everything just because he can skate. The level of disrespect allowed to go on by talented High Schoolers is sickening.

Aldo Raine

Post by Aldo Raine » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:49 pm

Pauley obviously has a very personal agenda going on right now with this decision. He should've stuck him on JV for a game or two and then let him come back if he worked hard at practice and was positive teammate on JV. Then we wouldn't have wasted 9 pages of our lives discussing this. Pauly looks at this as two-fold, 1.) sending a message about committment 2.) Getting people talking about his program. He probably did not realize the downside of his actions and what potential Alec Baer's down the road will think of attending BSM. The game is changing and the best HS coaches will be the ones that can roll with the punches. BSM will be like Holy Angels in a few years.

mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:50 pm

Do you know this as fact, that Pauly never communicated this BEFORE the trip to BC?

D3Referee

Post by D3Referee » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:54 pm

mnpuckster wrote:If he wanted to play in the W, then go right ahead.

I couldnt care less what Baer does, where he plays. Its only bothersome when things didnt go his way at BSM, he bails midseason, and then blames Pauly for the Alec's and Alec's parents decisions.

Rules are rules. If he wanted to continue to play for the Red Knights, than do what the other 20 kids on the team do, and follow the rules.
You are assuming he wants to play in the W. He didn't "bail" midseason. He went to Vancouver to watch a hockey game. Please don't tell me attending a hockey game is against some "rules".

Kids do miss practice from time-to-time. Being out of town with your father is perfectly reasonable to miss a practice.

NextGoalWins

Post by NextGoalWins » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:56 pm

[quote="mnpuckster"]Sorry, didnt realize it was Mr. Baer. It does suck for him that he didnt follow team rules. But because Pauly didnt give Alec the special treatment he has always gotten, Pauly is the bad guy?

Entitlement generation I guess. Good luck with the W.[/quote]

Funny thing is that your Black and White perspective is so far off than what even Pauly was thinking. He took a rash step and probably in retrospect has some doubts about how the situation was handled from a one on one standpoint and from a big picture school/program standpoint. I'm sure he has been advised of this by many of his hockey and BSM confidants and will take a moderate approach going forward regardless of which side of the fence he is on right now and what happens or does not happen with this situation.

However you're the stuanch supportive brainwashed soldier left alone on the bunker field still fighting the war after everyone already went home. You'll be dissappointed to see the more moderate approach going forward.

mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:56 pm

I'm sure there is plenty that you or I do not know about regarding this situation.

Maybe I am giving Ken Pauly too much credit, as a teacher and a High School coach to do the right thing to teach kids. That is possible.

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:03 pm

mnpuckster wrote: Maybe I am giving Ken Pauly too much credit, as a teacher and a High School coach to do the right thing to teach kids. That is possible.
Going to hide behind the old "he's a teacher ploy" Huh?

Aldo Raine

Post by Aldo Raine » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:04 pm

If he did make it to the NHL and did well, all the posters would be coming out of the woodwork to congratulate him and how much he is doing MN proud.

He takes a logical step in exploring an alternative to making his dreams come true and Pauly and all the other HS hockey afficianados go nuts on him and his family. At 15.

Could Pauly re-instate him? That would be the smartest move for Pauly. Watch him make a difference down the stretch run...

mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:05 pm

He is 15, yes.

He isnt driving these decisions. It is his adult parents. Im sure Pauly and Mr. Baer dont see eye to eye. That is the issue.

Oh, but who honestly cares? Not I. His name will be forgotten in weeks. One more hour to kill

NextGoalWins

Post by NextGoalWins » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:14 pm

He is 15 and he actually is old enough and mature enough to understand the options and opportunities infront of him, even better than his parents. He is as much a part of any decision in his future as his parents. Why is it hard to accept that HS hockey is not the only path for players. It is one of many paths and p's all of the HSH gunslingers when someone looks down another road. And he is only looking. Talk about prejudice. He's a witch! Burn him.

Like I said, right now Pauly is regretting his action and wish he handled things differently IMO. So do his employers.

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:16 pm

mnpuckster wrote:He is 15, yes.

He isnt driving these decisions. It is his adult parents. Im sure Pauly and Mr. Baer dont see eye to eye. That is the issue.
The issue is "a teacher and high school hockey coach" ruining a 15 year old kid's high school experience. You, and all the other enablers might take a minute or two to think about what your saying. Parents still have the responsibility for their kids. If the coach was informed about the decision "to go watch a game" and still decided to ruin a 15 year old's high school hockey career he is not much of a "teacher" Is he?

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:19 pm

Napalm187 wrote:Because he thinks his precious MN HS hockey is being harmed by these "ego-driven kids". If our HS hockey is so good, why don't you ever see a Patrick Kane, James Van Riemsdyk, Dustin Brown, or other high-end Americans move into Mn to play HS hockey???? Because it does not compare, even remotely, to Canadian Juniors, USHL, NTDP, etc. That is why you could count on your hand how many MN HS'ers have been drafted in the 1st round in the last decade.

The kids dream is to play in the NHL, and playing in the WHL will give him the best chance to become a 1st round pick, gain the toughness to survive in the NHL and learn better how to play at that speed, than in beating an underachieving EP team. These Pucksters and all the other "old-school" folks make me chuckle. It's a free country. Let the kid be.
I think there's actually been around eighteen HS'ers drafted in the 1st round in the last decade. 24 total Minnesotans since 2000.

Aldo Raine

Post by Aldo Raine » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:20 pm

His name will be forgotten in weeks.

This is my biggest problem with the defenders of HS hockey. Unlike Mr. WBL puckster, I have actually won a HS state title. If I had Alec's options where I could play Junior and better realize a dream of playing in the NHL, vs winning a state title with my "hometown buddies"...you take the individual route every time. Years go by and you realize you do what's best for you and your family...not what some antiquated HS system dictates for you. The only people that really care about you are your family and friends. Do right by them, not transient people in your life.

His name will be forgotten in weeks. Nice. But if he stayed at BSM for 4 years, then he'd be a hero to you, like Mr. Besse?

mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:22 pm

Do you know for a fact this is how it went down? I doubt it?

Ruining his high school experience? Wow, you guys are going overboard. He wasnt planning on graduating from BSM, and you know that as well. He is looking for his next spot to jump to play hockey.

As for where Kids decide to play a GAME, whether it is public HS, a private HS, juniors, WHL, to each his own. I dont care one bit.

Just do it, leave, and stop talking about it, and how badly you were mistreated. :(

NextGoalWins

Post by NextGoalWins » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:22 pm

[quote="MrBoDangles"][quote="Napalm187"]Because he thinks his precious MN HS hockey is being harmed by these "ego-driven kids". If our HS hockey is so good, why don't you ever see a Patrick Kane, James Van Riemsdyk, Dustin Brown, or other high-end Americans move into Mn to play HS hockey???? Because it does not compare, even remotely, to Canadian Juniors, USHL, NTDP, etc. That is why you could count on your hand how many MN HS'ers have been drafted in the 1st round in the last decade.

The kids dream is to play in the NHL, and playing in the WHL will give him the best chance to become a 1st round pick, gain the toughness to survive in the NHL and learn better how to play at that speed, than in beating an underachieving EP team. These Pucksters and all the other "old-school" folks make me chuckle. It's a free country. Let the kid be.[/quote]

I think there's actually been around eighteen HS'ers drafted in the 1st round in the last decade. 24 total Minnesotans since 2000.[/quote]

18 first rounders that were drafted while they were still playing for a highschool team??? Name them from the list above. Still waiting for Puck to produce that list. I see a lot that were drafted after they left HS for better hockey programs & leagues.