Class A Rankings 2-3-13

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Where would you rank Thief River Falls at this point in the season?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:07 am

17%
9%
17%
Lower than top 5
57%

Total votes: 23

HShockeywatcher

Class A Rankings 2-3-13

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:07 am

A handful of big games this past week and still a couple left in the season. After the Top 2 teams, there could be a case for the next 7 or 8 teams to be in almost any order. I tend to favor recent games over earlier games, which is how they got where they are.

As always, please give me feedback, as I use it week in and week out.

Enjoy!

1. [1] Saint Thomas Academy (18-2-1)
The Cadets had a good week, a dominating Totino-Grace at home and picking up two conference wins. They play at Tartan Thursday then play three conference teams they play once to round out the regular season over the next two weeks.
This week: Thurs @ Tartan, Sat @ Simley

2. [2] Breck (17-3-1)
The Mustangs keep on winning as they traveled to Thief River Falls and came from behind to win in OT. This week they host Holy Angels in a game they are favored to win. Four more home games for Breck before section play starts.
This week: Sat vs Academy of Holy Angels

3. [4] Thief River Falls (13-7)
After their 11 game win streak, the Prowlers took Breck to OT and showed that they can play with the best of them. They had some early struggles, but they control their own destiny with section seeding and if Hermantown doesn’t make it to state and they do, they should be a top 3 seed.
This week: Mon vs Roseau, Thurs vs Moorhead, Fri @ Red Lake Falls

4. [6] Duluth Denfeld (15-6)
In their last 14 games, the Hunters have lost to two teams; Thief River Falls and Cloquet. They took Marshall apart, bringing their section record to 6-0 on the season and all but guaranteeing the top seed in section 7A. Denfeld travels to Hermantown this week; can they beat Hermantown twice in one season?
This week: Tues @ Hermantown

5. [10] Hermantown (16-4-1)
Goaltending has been the Hawks’ biggest issue all year, but Saturday they shut out a previously top 3 team. This week they host two of the teams that have beaten them this season. It’ll be interesting to see how section 5A seeding turns out.
This week: Tues vs Duluth Denfeld, Thurs vs Superior, Sat @ Red Wing

6. [7] East Grand Forks (16-2-3)
The Green Wave have only lost to TRF in Class A and control their destiny in section seeding. With 8 shut outs this season, they will keep any section game they are in close.
This week: Tues vs Kittson Central

7. [8] Warroad (15-6-1)
The Warrior’s Class A losses are to Denfeld and their section foes and they should be competitive in any game they have left. Warroad is likely to be the third seed in section 8A.
This week: Tues vs Park Rapids

8. [3] Totino-Grace (16-4-1)
The only quality win on the Eagles’ schedule came in their first game of the season. Since then they have been beaten by three of the top teams in the class and put up lots of goals against others. 5 of their last 6 games are on the road and Tuesday they will play Mahtomedi for the 2nd seed in section 4A.
This week: Tues @ Mahtomedi, Thurs @ Robbinsdale Cooper, Sat @ Spring Lake Park

9. [5] Rochester Lourdes (13-7)
The Eagles lost to Tartan this week, but that’s something a handful of Class A teams have done. They play a few games this week they should win and next week they will play end their season with good games to prepare for sections.
This week: Tues vs Blake, Thurs @ Rogers, Sat vs New Prague

10. [-] Princeton (16-4-1)
The Tigers have shut out 4 of their last 5 opponents. If their can beat Cathedral at the MAC on Tuesday they should end the season with a 9 game winning streak and the top seed in section 5A. They are #3 in the state in scoring and also have 7 shut outs this season.
This week: Tues @ Cathedral, Sat vs Sauk Rapids

11. [9] St. Cloud Cathedral (15-6)
The Crusaders started their currently 7 game winning streak with a win over Hermantown. If they can beat Princeton on Tuesday, they’ll be in the driver’s seat for section 5A. They conclude the season with 4 games that should be competitive.
This week: Tues vs Princeton, Sat vs Little Falls

12. [12] Duluth Marshall (9-11)
The Hilltoppers have proven little this season, but they will be a top 2 seed in section 7A. If they play Denfeld, the final will likely be a little bit closer than the first meeting was.
This week: Tues vs Proctor, Thurs vs Virginia

13. [13] Hibbing (11-10)
Not a top team in Class A, but it wouldn’t be a surprise to see them in the section final. Can they keep it close with Rapids on Tuesday?
This week: Tues vs Grand Rapids, Fri vs Eveleth-Gilbert

14. [14] Mahtomedi {12-8}
It would be hard to rank the Zephyrs above Hibbing but after seeing them play, they are my vote for the 2nd seed in section 4A. It’ll be interesting to see how they finish the season against Totino, Hill and Tartan.
This week: Tues vs Totino-Grace, Thurs vs Hill-Murray, Sat @ North St Paul

15. [11] Little Falls (15-5)
The Flyers have played close games with good teams, but since the first couple games of the season they have only lost to good teams they have played. They play Cathedral this week for the second time, can they win this time around?
This week: Tues @ Prairie Center, Thurs vs Mora, Sat @ Cathedral

Notable Team:
Luverne (17-3-1)
Luverne is a great story and before they lost to Morris-Benson this week, on paper they could’ve a pretty good case for being ranked. They have the wins to be the team to beat in section 3A, whether they will be the top seed or not. Friday’s game in Hutchinson will play a big role in section seeding I believe. It’ll be interesting to see how things end up going forward.
This week: Tues @ Windom, Fri @ Hutchinson, Sat @ Breckenridge

Prowlerhockey

Post by Prowlerhockey » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:14 am

It was a real impressive showing by trf to take Breck to overtime. At one point trf was ahead 2-0 but Breck scored with .03 seconds left in the 2nd period. Those kind of goals are always hard to take. Very very impressed by trf in this game, they proved that they can play with the best of them in class A. Can't wait to see what seed they get and we will see if the show up ready to make a 3peat in state. Good luck to all teams out there.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:28 am

3 Maht
2 T-G
:shock:

It would be interesting if any of the people who think TRF is ranked too high would comment on why. They have won 11 games in a row then went to OT with the unanimous #2 team in Class A.
Yes they lost to Hermantown, but that was 16 games ago and we are past the point in the season where everyone can be below all the teams they've lost to.

Now they've lost to TRF and possibly will to Moorhead tomorrow, but that wasn't the case at the time of the rankings.
cooperalls4ever wrote:
pekyman wrote:
Hermantown - 7
Denfeld - 1
Shots 54-15
And from my vantage point in the rink the 1 Denfeld goal came from a desperation pass from the corner to no one but 3 Hermantown players standing in front of the net who were unlucky enough to deflect the puck into their own net and ruin the shutout.

My guess is Hermantown will be ranked 3 or 4, but that'st would be after a win in Superior and Red Wing. If they can't get by Superior in Wisc., then they deserve to be 5 or 6.

If I was doing the ranking it would be 2 or 3. I've only seen Breck on tv vs. D. East and it's evident where TRF belongs looking at head to head with Hermantown. Anyone can argue the point how much better TRF is, it is also easy to look at Hermantown's results over the last two weeks. Much improved team and I think they've found some good play in between the pipes. EGF just doesn't have the schedule and quality wins IMO.

Things will change this week, although I think it's a bit of a stretch to say they're "much improved." They have play one, maybe two, good teams in the last 5 game stretch between losing to Superior and beating Denfeld.

It's really tough to say the goaltending is much improved, knowing who they've played and how good their defense is. If this offense comes out when they play Princeton, it is unlikely Princeton's scoring could keep up and I'm sure we'll get a rematch with the Crusaders. We'll see what happens then.

cooperalls4ever

Post by cooperalls4ever » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:20 am

HShockeywatcher wrote:3 Maht
2 T-G
:shock:

It would be interesting if any of the people who think TRF is ranked too high would comment on why. They have won 11 games in a row then went to OT with the unanimous #2 team in Class A.
Yes they lost to Hermantown, but that was 16 games ago and we are past the point in the season where everyone can be below all the teams they've lost to.

Now they've lost to TRF and possibly will to Moorhead tomorrow, but that wasn't the case at the time of the rankings.
cooperalls4ever wrote:
pekyman wrote:
Hermantown - 7
Denfeld - 1
Shots 54-15
And from my vantage point in the rink the 1 Denfeld goal came from a desperation pass from the corner to no one but 3 Hermantown players standing in front of the net who were unlucky enough to deflect the puck into their own net and ruin the shutout.

My guess is Hermantown will be ranked 3 or 4, but that'st would be after a win in Superior and Red Wing. If they can't get by Superior in Wisc., then they deserve to be 5 or 6.

If I was doing the ranking it would be 2 or 3. I've only seen Breck on tv vs. D. East and it's evident where TRF belongs looking at head to head with Hermantown. Anyone can argue the point how much better TRF is, it is also easy to look at Hermantown's results over the last two weeks. Much improved team and I think they've found some good play in between the pipes. EGF just doesn't have the schedule and quality wins IMO.

Things will change this week, although I think it's a bit of a stretch to say they're "much improved." They have play one, maybe two, good teams in the last 5 game stretch between losing to Superior and beating Denfeld.

It's really tough to say the goaltending is much improved, knowing who they've played and how good their defense is. If this offense comes out when they play Princeton, it is unlikely Princeton's scoring could keep up and I'm sure we'll get a rematch with the Crusaders. We'll see what happens then.
It is a night and day difference in nets for the Hawks. (period) Talk to anyone who has watched this team play and has seen both goalies over the last two months. Smith didn't see much icetime in Jan when they were giving up 5 goals/game in their losses.

Will be looking forward to Sections and hopefully more. Hermantown looks like they are playing better hockey at this point in the season this year then last.

Giving up 2 goals total over 3 games to Cloquet, Totino Grace and Denfeld? I won't go back in posts, but I think we both can agree looking at paper that the issue has been allowing 5 goals on 10-20 shots. They're not allowing this anymore. They've shutout two top lines in the state from Cloquet and Totino Grace in back to back games.

I'll give Breck the #2 spot, but taking a peek at their losses...it's pretty grey there but I don't see them getting by STA.

hshockeyfan53

Post by hshockeyfan53 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:09 am

1. STA
2. Breck
3. Hermantown
4. TRF
5. Totino Grace

That's how I feel the rankings should look after last night. It's just MY opinion don't get all fired up about it.

PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:44 am

HShockeywatcher wrote:Things will change this week, although I think it's a bit of a stretch to say they're "much improved." They have play one, maybe two, good teams in the last 5 game stretch between losing to Superior and beating Denfeld.

That's just ignorant. I don't know how else to put it. Are you telling me Cloquet, Denfeld, and Totino are weak? They have allowed ZERO goals to Totino, ONE goal to Cloquet, ONE goal to Denfeld, and did exactly what you'd expect to Proctor, New Prague, and Bemidji. That's 4 goals allowed in the last 6 games. There is an obvious difference there from earlier in the year where they had a stretch of games against pretty similar competition where they were giving that up PER GAME.

Lets look at their 4 losses... ALL of them were by 5-4 scores and 2 of them were in overtime (and these teams aren't exactly pushovers):
-Superior: Goaltender was JACE THOMAS who allowed 5 goals on 19 shots. Hermantown put 45 shots on goal.

-St Cloud Cathedral: Goaltender was THOMAS who allowed 5 goals on 30 shots, Hermantown put 44 shots on goal.

-Grand Rapids: Goaltender was THOMAS who allowed 5 goals on 29 shots. Hermantown put 28 shots on goal. This was an even game against a AA team that has proven it can play with any team in the state.

-Denfeld: Goaltender was THOMAS who allowed 5 goals on 19 shots. Hermantown put 49 shots on goal.

Now look at the more recent notable wins:
-Denfeld: 7-1 (probably the result they should have had in their first meeting), Shots 54-15, ADAM SMITH in goal.

-Cloquet: 4-1, Shots 37-25 Hermantown, ADAM SMITH in goal.

-Totino Grace: 4-0, Shots on goal 38-20 Hermantown, ADAM SMITH in goal.

ADAM SMITH is 10-0-1 with a 1.52 GAA and a .921 Save%
JACE THOMAS is 7-4 with a 2.74 GAA and a .854 Save%

That is undeniable evidence. The goaltender makes all the difference. Their defense is (and always was) just fine, allowing just 19 shots on goal per game on average.

As far as that ridiculous comment about "if their offense comes out"... There hasn't been a game this year where it hasn't. They are averaging 44 shots on goal per game and almost 7 goals per game. Plenty of teams in the state that don't ever reach that in a single game.

Hermantown is for sure the #3 team, and arguably #2 now that they have sorted out who their starting goaltender is. TRF should be #4.
HShockeywatcher wrote:12. [12] Duluth Marshall (9-11)
The Hilltoppers have proven little this season, but they will be a top 2 seed in section 7A....
...Thurs vs Virginia
Not true. If they lose to Virginia, they could end up as low as the 4 seed.

DekeDangler

Post by DekeDangler » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:11 am

Things are heating up! The race to be top dog in 8A is an interesting one. Stories across the state are very similar. Teams experiencing ups and downs. Section 8A is, what many are saying, a race between TRF and EGF. Next Tuesday will be a defining moment for both teams. Who will be victorious next Tuesday? TRF lost their last match against Roseau and EGF was able to muster a win against Kittson Central. Which one of these last games has a greater impact on the team and sheds more light on their ability to be competitive at the X if they make it?

Prowlerhockey

Post by Prowlerhockey » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:34 pm

My "gut" feeling is that it will come down to trf and EGF in section final, trf winning 4-2 with an empty netter. Should be a terrific showdown in section 8a final o go to the X! Good luck to ALL teams!!

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:40 pm

Prowlerhockey wrote:My "gut" feeling is that it will come down to trf and EGF in section final, trf winning 4-2 with an empty netter. Should be a terrific showdown in section 8a final o go to the X! Good luck to ALL teams!!
Your gut feeling or hope :wink:

Prowlerhockey

Post by Prowlerhockey » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:31 pm

TTpuckster wrote:
Prowlerhockey wrote:My "gut" feeling is that it will come down to trf and EGF in section final, trf winning 4-2 with an empty netter. Should be a terrific showdown in section 8a final o go to the X! Good luck to ALL teams!!
Your gut feeling or hope :wink:
hahaha...that would be my gut feeling. :wink:

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:07 pm

PuckRanger wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:Things will change this week, although I think it's a bit of a stretch to say they're "much improved." They have play one, maybe two, good teams in the last 5 game stretch between losing to Superior and beating Denfeld.

That's just ignorant. I don't know how else to put it. Are you telling me Cloquet, Denfeld, and Totino are weak? They have allowed ZERO goals to Totino, ONE goal to Cloquet, ONE goal to Denfeld, and did exactly what you'd expect to Proctor, New Prague, and Bemidji. That's 4 goals allowed in the last 6 games. There is an obvious difference there from earlier in the year where they had a stretch of games against pretty similar competition where they were giving that up PER GAME.

Lets look at their 4 losses... ALL of them were by 5-4 scores and 2 of them were in overtime (and these teams aren't exactly pushovers):
-Superior: Goaltender was JACE THOMAS who allowed 5 goals on 19 shots. Hermantown put 45 shots on goal.

-St Cloud Cathedral: Goaltender was THOMAS who allowed 5 goals on 30 shots, Hermantown put 44 shots on goal.

-Grand Rapids: Goaltender was THOMAS who allowed 5 goals on 29 shots. Hermantown put 28 shots on goal. This was an even game against a AA team that has proven it can play with any team in the state.

-Denfeld: Goaltender was THOMAS who allowed 5 goals on 19 shots. Hermantown put 49 shots on goal.

-Denfeld: 7-1 (probably the result they should have had in their first meeting), Shots 54-15, ADAM SMITH in goal.

That is undeniable evidence. The goaltender makes all the difference. Their defense is (and always was) just fine, allowing just 19 shots on goal per game on average.

As far as that ridiculous comment about "if their offense comes out"... There hasn't been a game this year where it hasn't. They are averaging 44 shots on goal per game and almost 7 goals per game. Plenty of teams in the state that don't ever reach that in a single game.

Hermantown is for sure the #3 team, and arguably #2 now that they have sorted out who their starting goaltender is. TRF should be #4.
The Hilltoppers have proven little this season, but they will be a top 2 seed in section 7A....
...Thurs vs Virginia
Nice post PuckRanger, spot on.
Last edited by pekyman on Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:20 pm

pekyman wrote:
PuckRanger wrote:

...Thurs vs Virginia
Nice post PuckRanger, spot on. Way to call this tool on the carpet with facts verses his biased BS.
Don't hold back pekyman.
Say what you really mean.

If you don't like HSHW's rankings either don't read them or start your own so we can critique.
It takes a lot of time and work to do the rankings.
So, man up!!!! (Or woman up, depending on who you really are).

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:03 pm

TTpuckster wrote:
pekyman wrote:
PuckRanger wrote:

...Thurs vs Virginia
Nice post PuckRanger, spot on. Way to call this tool on the carpet with facts verses his biased BS.
Don't hold back pekyman.
Say what you really mean.

If you don't like HSHW's rankings either don't read them or start your own so we can critique.
It takes a lot of time and work to do the rankings.
So, man up!!!! (Or woman up, depending on who you really are).
I updated my post.

LETS PLAY HOCKEY FEB 6TH

1. St. Thomas AcademyCadets | Section 4A 17-1-1
2. Breck Mustangs | Section 2A 17-3-1
3. Hermantown Hawks | Section 5A 17-4-1
4. East Grand ForksGreen Wave | Section 8A 18-2-3
5. Totino-Grace Eagles | Section 4A 15-5-1
6. St. Cloud CathedralCrusaders | Section 5A 16-6-0
7. Rochester Lourdes Eagles | Section 1A 14-7-0
8. Thief River Falls Prowlers | Section 8A 13-8-0
9. Duluth Denfeld Hunters | Section 7A 15-7-0
10. Warroad Warriors| Section 8A 16-6-2

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:21 pm

Where would people put TRF? And why?
What about Mahtomedi? After seeing them play and them now beating Totino, I'm convinced they can play. I wish they had more ranked teams on their schedule, but they don't. I doubt they will beat Hill Murray, but 14 seems a little low for them.
How about Little Falls? One poster last week suggested they not be ranked, which seems fair now.
Totino?
pekyman wrote:
PuckRanger wrote:

...Thurs vs Virginia
I think it's so interesting, PuckRanger, that you seem to continually either misread, misunderstand, or simply ignore things I say to try to put me down. Not sure why, but more power to you.

In the "5 game stretch between losing to Superior and beating Denfeld" Hermantown played Bemidji, Proctor, New Prague, Cloquet and Totino-Grace. I consider Cloquet to be a "good" team (they are the one) and the jury's out on Totino (they are the maybe two).
I've seen Totino play once this year and I wasn't at all impressed. Then they lost to Mahtomedi recently, a team that when I polled earlier over half of respondents wanted out of the top 10. After their first two games of the season, they have one quality win.

As for the goaltending, you're right, the statistics are dramatically different. As are the teams they've been in net against. Up until playing Totino recently, that goalie did not play in the 4 of the biggest games of the year, which are also the 4 they lost. There might have possibly been a reason he wasn't played. I have no idea. He also had a 75% save percentage against Virginia. Maybe he was sick, so the other guy played, maybe this, maybe that.
Also, from what I've heard from many supporters is that the team has amazing defense. For the most part, many quality shots are stopped before they end up on net. Maybe the defense played really well against Totino (as reported by the Hub) and less well against the teams they lost to.
Having the situation they do, some of the best forwards in the state, some of the best defense around, and an up and down goalie situation, it's difficult to know what's going on from stats alone.

If you don't like my rankings, pekyman, why don't you give me feedback instead of posting scores and shots of when your team shuts out Proctor and "did exactly what you'd expect" against others?
I get feedback regularly from other people who have different opinions than yours but all I hear from you is that what other people tell me is BS.

If saying something you consider ignorant is the only way to spur discussion, however, I guess I'll just do it every week. It is pretty disappointing that a handful of certain people complain about the rankings and never offer anything constructive. Glad we have discussion now.