Strib Article on OMGHA

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

bestpopcorn

Post by bestpopcorn »

There is a difference between a coach and college hockey players....just look at the North Dakota team....I wouldn't want my young kids to be hangin with that.
The article mentioned that these kids were used as Student Coaches in the youth program. Our high school players are heroes to our mites. The mites beg for busted sticks, even ask for autographs.

Do you suppose these young association players might hear about what happened? High School kids don't think about this stuff.
Last edited by bestpopcorn on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

I have no inside info on OMGHA, but in many associations the high school coach sits on the youth association board as the ACE coordinator and has at least some oversight on the coaching and coaching education. That's a pretty direct connection in many associations.
FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE »

bestpopcorn wrote:
There is a difference between a coach and college hockey players....just look at the North Dakota team....I wouldn't want my young kids to be hangin with that.
The article mentioned that these kids were used as Student Coaches in the youth program. Our high school players are heroes to our mites. The mites beg for busted sticks, even ask for autographs.

Do you suppose these young association players might hear about what happened? High School kids don't think about this stuff.
Well if Maple Grove continues to air out their problems through the Star Tribune I would think eventually they could find out....

Until I read about it in the paper today I thought it was done and over.
bestpopcorn

Post by bestpopcorn »

Well if Maple Grove continues to air out their problems through the Star Tribune I would think eventually they could find out....

Yeah... I imagine none of the IGH parents even think or talk about it anymore. Hardly ever comes up. Why would it? It's not in the paper. You never hear it talked about around the concession stand during youth practices either. It has all but faded away, a non-event.

Fred - Do you hang around youth practices much?
FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE »

bestpopcorn wrote:

Yeah... I imagine none of the IGH parents even think or talk about it anymore. Hardly ever comes up. Why would it? It's not in the paper. You never hear it talked about around the concession stand during youth practices either. It has all but faded away, a non-event.

I do hang around youth practices but that would be in EP.....the only time Maple Grove HS gets mentioned down here is section time when they get their salads tossed by Blaine.
GolfGuy7900

Post by GolfGuy7900 »

FREDFLINTSTONE wrote:
bestpopcorn wrote:

I do hang around youth practices but that would be in EP.....the only time Maple Grove HS gets mentioned down here is section time when they get their salads tossed by Blaine.
MG 15 Blaine 1 - 2012
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

At least North Dakota does discipline their players, more than can be said for the Gophers and Coach Don going "Boys will be boys..." :roll:
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Who hasn't "don" disciplined?

Any North Dakota players try running across a snow covered field barefoot this year? :)
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

I know exactly what happened at MG...I trust my source 100%. If I was a parent of one of the involved kids, they'd have been sitting longer. If I was the parent of the affected kid....there would be 13 MG players getting visits from me.

I also fail to see how this is the MG coaches problem...someone fill me in.
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

Tigers33 wrote:Who hasn't "don" disciplined?

Any North Dakota players try running across a snow covered field barefoot this year? :)
Well I'm not gonna argue that one, that was just flat out dumb :lol: Good old Kristo-Crispy toe :D
FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE »

Roy01 wrote:
At least North Dakota does discipline their players, more than can be said for the Gophers and Coach Don going "Boys will be boys..." :roll:
Lets see.....Kristo gets two minor consumptions in a 48 hour peroid. Misses half of a season because he walks home in the middle of winter with no shoes and comes close to losing his feet to frostbite....think booze was involved? At the start of this year he supply's booze to minors..
FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE »

GolfGuy7900 wrote:
FREDFLINTSTONE wrote:
bestpopcorn wrote: Yeah... I imagine none of the IGH parents even think or talk about it anymore. Hardly ever comes up. Why would it? It's not in the paper. You never hear it talked about around the concession stand during youth practices either. It has all but faded away, a non-event.

MG 15 Blaine 1 - 2012
So they have one win and 7 tossed salads.....but they did get waxed in the quarters at state.
bestpopcorn

Post by bestpopcorn »

I also fail to see how this is the MG coaches problem...someone fill me in.
He is not responsible.

Maybe he is a fantastic guy and great role model to these young men. Maybe he does what he can to cultivate a culture of respect and decency.

Do the kids understand that the coach won't put up with this kind of thing?

We had a coach that liked to tell the occasional dirty joke. When he overheard some the kids escapades he would join in the laughter. He was an OK guy, the kids liked him. But, people knew he was not a "discipline and respect" type of guy. There was a hazing incident off campus that cost him his job. Was he responsible? No. If he had done things differently, would the end result have been different...maybe.

When Rudy Guiliani started prosecuting jay walkers in NY, other crime rates went down too. It is about the culture you build.
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

FREDFLINTSTONE wrote:
Roy01 wrote:
Lets see.....Kristo gets two minor consumptions in a 48 hour peroid. Misses half of a season because he walks home in the middle of winter with no shoes and comes close to losing his feet to frostbite....think booze was involved? At the start of this year he supply's booze to minors..
Well, I'm never going to speak ill of the Sioux :wink: Kristo was kicked off the team and made to try out again as a walk-on. With this years scenario, the captains were suspended for the first series and the team still does alcohol classes weekly. I'm just simply saying discipline was enforced. Coach Hakstol does an excellent job with the program up here.
tpauls14

Post by tpauls14 »

This same reporter who has printed a lot of rumors and exaggerated stories based mostly on single non-credible sources, wait for the breaking news on him that will most likely come out sometime Saturday.

He was harassing the Maple Grove coaches at practice on Friday where he followed them into the team's locker room uninvited, where he was 5 feet away from teenage boys who were changing after practice, he was repeatedly asked to leave and he refused as he attempted to instigate and escalate the coaches into making a story for himself. District Administrators and Police were called.
bestpopcorn

Post by bestpopcorn »

This same reporter who has printed a lot of rumors and exaggerated stories based mostly on single non-credible sources, wait for the breaking news on him that will most likely come out sometime Saturday.
It seems to me that the reporting has been very general with very few details. The best I can draw from the papers is that 13 guys did something that may have been sexual at someone's house sometime in December. The Hockey board may or may not be going to do something tomorrow. How does this qualify as "lots of rumors & exaggerated claims?"

I don't support following a coach into a locker room. That said, as a parent I have walked into my son's HS locker room to bring him a sandwich...and yeah, the guys were changing. I see some of these players in the locker room where I work out too.

If what happened is blown out of proportion...... maybe a more honest account of the actual details might help clear things up.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Not trying to create a problem, but why would a parent bring a sandwich into a HS lockeroom? Is this a common practice amongst the parents on your team? I could maybe see a squirt or peewee. but a HS kid should be able to get his own sandwich. Haven't been around HS hockey for a few years, and maybe things have changed?
bestpopcorn

Post by bestpopcorn »

mulefarm wrote:Not trying to create a problem, but why would a parent bring a sandwich into a HS lockeroom? Is this a common practice amongst the parents on your team? I could maybe see a squirt or peewee. but a HS kid should be able to get his own sandwich. Haven't been around HS hockey for a few years, and maybe things have changed?
Frantic schedule for player & parent. Just a quick drop off with no one in the hall to hand it off to. The point is, I don't view the locker room as some sort of sacred sanctuary. It is a locker room, not an inner sanctum.
GatorLand

Post by GatorLand »

I think it is ok to hand a sandwich in...just don't step on the leaf :D
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

FREDFLINTSTONE wrote:
GolfGuy7900 wrote:
FREDFLINTSTONE wrote: I do hang around youth practices but that would be in EP.....the only time Maple Grove HS gets mentioned down here is section time when they get their salads tossed by Blaine.
MG 15 Blaine 1 - 2012
So they have one win and 7 tossed salads.....but they did get waxed in the quarters at state.
They were seeded, what? 2 or 3, and they got waxed in the quarters? By who?
FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
FREDFLINTSTONE wrote:
GolfGuy7900 wrote: MG 15 Blaine 1 - 2012
They were seeded, what? 2 or 3, and they got waxed in the quarters? By who?
HILL 5
MG 2
GolfGuy7900

Post by GolfGuy7900 »

tpauls14 wrote:This same reporter who has printed a lot of rumors and exaggerated stories based mostly on single non-credible sources, wait for the breaking news on him that will most likely come out sometime Saturday.

He was harassing the Maple Grove coaches at practice on Friday where he followed them into the team's locker room uninvited, where he was 5 feet away from teenage boys who were changing after practice, he was repeatedly asked to leave and he refused as he attempted to instigate and escalate the coaches into making a story for himself. District Administrators and Police were called.
Might want to change your username.