BSM vs SSM Wed 2-6-13

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

cigar

Post by cigar »

yes mnhockey fan i am right. you claimed it had zero....

but your point being on average most mn high school teams will be younger than ssm. that is correct, and for a soph to make the ssm team is quite an accomplishment.

i have to say for about the last 10 years the high school team that has consistently been the dirtiest, cheapest and most undisciplined has been coached by pauly. i respect him as a person but as a coach i do not.
JSR

Post by JSR »

Very good and objective article about this game from Western College Hockey Blog:

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com ... -marys-5-2
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

cigar wrote:but your point being on average most mn high school teams will be younger than ssm. that is correct, and for a soph to make the ssm team is quite an accomplishment.
"On average"? I challenge you to show me one MN high school team that is older than SSM!
cigar wrote:i have to say for about the last 10 years the high school team that has consistently been the dirtiest, cheapest and most undisciplined has been coached by pauly. i respect him as a person but as a coach i do not.
Ridiculous on so many levels.

First, Pauly coached Minnetonka from 2004-07, so you can only base your opinion on the last 7 years.

Second, if his teams have really been "the dirtiest, cheapest and most undisciplined" in Minnesota, you would think they would get called for a lot of penalties, right? Well, if you look at their stats they've got fewer penalty minutes than the teams they've played. (230 vs. 250). This is the 4th season in a row (as far back as the Hub goes) where they've taken fewer penalty minutes than the teams they've played. I think most would agree that this would be impossible for a team that's "the dirtiest, cheapest and most undisciplined" in Minnesota.

Third, individually their most penalized player this season is Chase Jungles, with 30 minutes in 22 games. But there are 279 other players in the State with more penalty penalty minutes than Jungles. He's currently tied for 280th with 21 other guys.
The next most penalized players on BSM's team are Seth Chumley and Zach Hale, each with 23 minutes. They are tied for 467th in penalty minutes with 39 other guys. But I suppose you would say they're "the dirtiest, cheapest and most undisciplined" players in Minnesota, right? :roll:

Fourth, I really don't think the Minnesota Hockey Coaches Association would name any coach as President of the Executive Board if his teams were "the dirtiest, cheapest and most undisciplined" in the State! Nor would they have voted him the 2012 Mariucci Award winner, as the state’s Class AA coach of the year, or would he have won the Minnesota Wild 3M Excellence in Coaching Award - twice. And yet you don't respect him as a coach? His peers obviously do, and the facts speak for themselves, so your opinions are obviously both wrong and mean nothing.
Hockey Fever

Post by Hockey Fever »

Great reply MNHockeyFan! Seems there are those on this forum that have no problem bashing coaches from behind their computer without putting forth any facts. I don't follow a lot of HS hockey but I do follow BSM and agree with all that you said.
oldshad77

Post by oldshad77 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
MoreCowBell wrote:Feel sorry for the 3 and 4 lines for BSM I;m sure they hardly broke a sweat. I can see why the kid is headed to the WHL.
How many 9th graders are on the rosters of other top teams, like Edina, Tonka, Wayzata, EP, Hill-Murray, etc.? And for the few that are, do they play on the first line? And for those who don't, do they bolt for the WHL right before playoffs are going to start?

And look at Shattuck's roster, they don't even have any 10th graders, let alone 9th. They are all juniors and seniors.

And say what you want about Pauly, but he did just coach his team to a win over the 3-time defending national AAA champs. Hard to argue that he overplayed his top two lines when his team actually got stronger as the game went on. You would think fatigue would have set in at some point, but it obviously didn't as Benilde managed to score the last 3 goals of the game. Give the guy some credit!

How can you make the case that Benilde got stronger? BSM was out of gas in the third. SSM had the puck in the BSM end for most of the first 10 minutes of the period. When a nick in the ice needed to be repaired (in front of the BSM bench - interesting) there was a stoppage that allowed BSM (and Besse in particular) to catch their breath. BSM scored in the next 10 seconds. BTW - Shattuck is the 2-time defending National champs.
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

oldshad77
Benilde had 3 bad shifts to start the 3rd but they were not out of gas. The ice that needed repair was also the same spot that needed repair before the 3rd period started so your conspiracy theory doesnt work. Its ok just say it was a good even game and Benilde executed a little bit better and won.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

oldshad77 wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
MoreCowBell wrote:Feel sorry for the 3 and 4 lines for BSM I;m sure they hardly broke a sweat. I can see why the kid is headed to the WHL.
How many 9th graders are on the rosters of other top teams, like Edina, Tonka, Wayzata, EP, Hill-Murray, etc.? And for the few that are, do they play on the first line? And for those who don't, do they bolt for the WHL right before playoffs are going to start?

And look at Shattuck's roster, they don't even have any 10th graders, let alone 9th. They are all juniors and seniors.

And say what you want about Pauly, but he did just coach his team to a win over the 3-time defending national AAA champs. Hard to argue that he overplayed his top two lines when his team actually got stronger as the game went on. You would think fatigue would have set in at some point, but it obviously didn't as Benilde managed to score the last 3 goals of the game. Give the guy some credit!

How can you make the case that Benilde got stronger? BSM was out of gas in the third. SSM had the puck in the BSM end for most of the first 10 minutes of the period. When a nick in the ice needed to be repaired (in front of the BSM bench - interesting) there was a stoppage that allowed BSM (and Besse in particular) to catch their breath. BSM scored in the next 10 seconds. BTW - Shattuck is the 2-time defending National champs.
Enough with the "National Champ" nonsense. They aren't even the best team in Minnesota based on their two games this year.
SWPrez

Post by SWPrez »

After the first period....and before the second period started...Wags actually 'siezed' the FSN camera and zoomed in on the section of the blueline and stated, "As the game goes on, this is going to be a problem". To make the 3rd period stoppage to fix that ice a BSM conspiracy issue doesn't fit the facts. That area of the blueline was breaking down all game.
Hockey Fever

Post by Hockey Fever »

What I want to know is how Pauly snuck out onto the ice to put the "nick" there without anyone seeing him? :roll: I was watching the game on the net and the announcer spotted the "nick" from the other side of the rink before the 3rd period started. He must have pretty good eyesight.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

And had the ice problem and delay resulted in a BSM loss, this game would have been dismissed and categorized as an exhibition game like what happened when BSM loss to Grand Rapids a couple of weeks ago on Pokegama Lake. From my chair, the weather or ice or stoppages in play were the same for both teams. The real conspiracy is how BSM climbed back to #2 on the Hub so quiclky after the loss to Rapids.
cigar

Post by cigar »

mnhockeyfan,

mnhockyguy,

you are a funny character. you are way too close to pauly and/or bsm for you to be rational on what i am saying.

yes, on average most mn teams are younger than ssm. that is just an easy fact anyone can find. on that we agree, but you seem to think we don't. well, ok....

i can't recall ever mentioning for the past 10 years pauly was soley at bsm. you seem to have an bad habit of reading into things that are just not there.... yes, i include the years not at bsm. or is that not ok with you?

when does penalty minutes have to do with attempting to prove a coaches teams are cheap? it really doesn't.

when does a coach being chosen coach of the year have to do with it? nothing....

your "facts" have essentially very little to do with what i have said...

being named coach of the year typically has to do with how many wins a coach gets with the particular team. nothing typically with penalty minutes as you illogically claim.

i really hope he can clean up bsm. before lechner, hill was very bad. now they typically play one of the classiest games around. No, i'm not a hill or lechner fan. oh, let me check the penalty minutes....... maybe i'm wrong.....

you funny.. have a beer and relax...
SnowedIn

Post by SnowedIn »

Cigar, you say dirtiest, cheapest and undisciplined. From your perspective what have been the most common examples of the teams' acts that show this. Not having as much experience as you with coach I'd like to know more.

Reason I ask is there are different views of how to play the game effectively and win. Some are a lot more aggressive and antagonistic which some may scorn while others say its good strategy. Some are a lot more finesse. I guess I'm of the mindset that you go with a strategy that works and get everyone on the same page and tend to the more aggressive strategy because it is more effective for all types of opponents.