BSM vs SSM Wed 2-6-13

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

iwatchalotofhockey

BSM vs SSM Wed 2-6-13

Post by iwatchalotofhockey »

Live Game Tonight: Shattuck St. Mary's vs B-SM 7:00pm

Boys Hockey - Shattuck St. Mary's vs Benilde-St. Margaret's, Presented by MNHockeyCenter.Com

Another Wednesday night classic on the MNHockeCenter.com should garner world wide attention as Shattuck St. Mary's travels to the St. Louis Park Rec Center to take on the Benilde-St. Margaret's Red Knights.

Live game broadcast with Pete and Bart on the call. Sid with the live stats and highlights.

02/06/2013
Feed starts at 6:45 PM

www.Prep45.com

Thoughts on tonight's matchup? lets hear them as its the only show in town tonight. Should be a good one Prep School vs Private School.

BTW you can email us tonight as I would love to hear from the fans watching.

booth@grandstadium.tv
SWPrez

Re: BSM vs SSM Wed 2-6-13

Post by SWPrez »

I usually go with the Red Knights...but tonight I see SSM...6-2. SSM tends to be three lines deep and I don't think the Red Knights will be able to go toe to toe with them for three periods. Advantage BSM on speed...Advantage SSM on depth. Depth will win this one.
D3Referee

Re: BSM vs SSM Wed 2-6-13

Post by D3Referee »

SWPrez wrote:I usually go with the Red Knights...but tonight I see SSM...6-2. SSM tends to be three lines deep and I don't think the Red Knights will be able to go toe to toe with them for three periods. Advantage BSM on speed...Advantage SSM on depth. Depth will win this one.
Better stay off the cough syrup. :roll: Advantage SSM on EVERYTHING. 8-1 Shattuck
EliteHockeyMind

Post by EliteHockeyMind »

BSM's offense is good enough to put up a good amount of goals. The question will be if their defense can withstand a deep SSM team. STA was only able to beat SSM because of how good they are on defense, their goalie, and enough offense to get a few bounces their way.

I see 6-3 SSM.
observer

Post by observer »

I've only seen Shattuck briefly this year during an Elite League game but historically what makes them different is toughness. A grittier style of play. Based on their loss to the Elite League team that day, and now to STA, I'll go with the Red Knights, 5-4. As always, goaltending will be a factor.
Task Force 34

Post by Task Force 34 »

Anyone know #10's status? Has he officially left the team? He had a bright future at BSM.
Lowstickside

BSM vs SSM

Post by Lowstickside »

SSM has 4 solid lines 6 capable (can move the puck out, hit people, and cover someone) D and two very good goalies. Sorry guys, but BSM does not have anything near that. Watch what BSM does tonight with their short bench, and then ask yourself if they could do that for 3 nights in a row. This will be a joke. SSM 8-1.
D3Referee

Post by D3Referee »

Task Force 34 wrote:Anyone know #10's status? Has he officially left the team? He had a bright future at BSM.
No official word

Mnhockeyhub.com lists him as "Not Active on the Roster"

One of his linemates has tweeted to him ...

"Gonna be a rough first game without my dub crime partner. #Dub"

"Dub" is slang for "WHL", but it could be shorthand for something else as well

I guess we'll find out tonight if he suits up or not
Task Force 34

Post by Task Force 34 »

"Dub" = WHL??

He's on the Vancouver Giants list....
Last edited by Task Force 34 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bsmguy

Post by bsmguy »

BSM has played SSM for at least the last five years (08-12). Every game has been close, with BSM winning once.

If history is followed, what you will see tonight is BSM rolling four lines most of the game, except special teams. SSM is the only quality team BSM does this against. Also, SSM's depth will probalby outlast the Red Knights.

One difference this year is the lack of super high end talent at SSM (like Parise, Crosby, etc). The Moore-Labosky-Besse line is better than any of SSM's lines. After that though, BSM does not match up so well.

Heart over head: BSM 5-4. Wishfully.
D3Referee

Post by D3Referee »

Task Force 34 wrote:"Dub" = WHL??

He's on the Vancouver Giants list....
I don't know if the #Dub referenced in the tweet is meant to reference the WHL, but yes, "Dub" is common slang for the WHL. Players in the WHL reference it as such. Even a league sponsored periodical, DubNation and a DubHub blog etc.

Yes, he just had some public photos taken with the Giants Pat Quinn, who was in town recently and was a front page feature on their website. Could all just be a coincidence though, as there has been no official word of anything and none of those events on their own are significantly meaningful ... except for being removed from the BSM roster, which is worrying enough on it's own if it's true
Last edited by D3Referee on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Task Force 34 wrote:Anyone know #10's status? Has he officially left the team? He had a bright future at BSM.
Strange timing for anyone to leave a team, right before sections. :?:
stmartin123

Post by stmartin123 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Im out of the loop, who is this you are all referring to?
Don't hate STA. I wouldn't want to lose either.
D3Referee

Post by D3Referee »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
ice time? frustration? not easy for kids who are accustomed to being the man sit behind a line like Besse-Moore-Labosky. The dark side of stacking a team ... can't keep everyone happy
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

D3Referee wrote:ice time? frustration? not easy for kids who are accustomed to being the man sit behind a line like Besse-Moore-Labosky. The dark side of stacking a team ... can't keep everyone happy
If it's No. 10 the kid's just a 9th grader! I doubt he'd be on the first line and on the power play if he played for any number of top-ranked schools. :roll:
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
D3Referee wrote:ice time? frustration? not easy for kids who are accustomed to being the man sit behind a line like Besse-Moore-Labosky. The dark side of stacking a team ... can't keep everyone happy
If it's No. 10 the kid's just a 9th grader! I doubt he'd be on the first line and on the power play if he played for any number of top-ranked schools. :roll:
You might be under-estimating the sense of entiltlement that some of the BSM "recruits" have coming in.
D3Referee

Post by D3Referee »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
There are a few first line freshman out there. Hammer for East Ridge. Swaney for Lakeville. Rooney at Cooper, and of course, often times, Zimmer at Wayzata. #10 for BSM is certainly capable of being on any first line in the State, including BSM. It's strictly a matter of the coaches opinion and nothing else. His ability is not in question
observer

Post by observer »

The WHL is putting a heavy duty sales job on the Minnesota players. They're saying don't wait as your development is suffering. The Vancouver team is in last place so they certainly need a lot of help. There are only so many top players in Western Canada so they're running out of bodies. I expect more to go this route in the future.
HockeySLP

Post by HockeySLP »

Being an SLP guy, I am not a fan of Baer leaving our program for BSM, but Pauly is an ass on this one. Alec went to Vancouver to visit the WHL, and called Pauly to let him know he was going to miss a practice. Pauly said there will be repercussions. When Alec got back, Pauley pulled him out of class on Monday and told him that he is off the team. Then Pauly would not take or return the parents call. Very Classy. The parents spoke with BSM's AD, and asked what if he was visiting a college? That would have been OK, but it is not OK to visit the WHL because they are a bunch of leaches.

When I heard that I was thinking pot meet kettle.
D3Referee

Post by D3Referee »

WOW! That is interesting. What does "visiting the WHL" entail? Watching a game? Skating with the team? Rooming with one of the players? Enjoying Vancouver nightlife? Regardless, doing something like that in season, if true, is not the smartest move. Why not wait till the season is over? Even USHL guys know BEFORE & AFTER and never DURING.

It could also make a difference who paid for the visit. Look at all the trouble Portland is in for paying for travel expenses etc..

The Giants have been having a fire sale all season long. They are racing to the bottom to try and wrap up a top pick in this years draft, which is expected to be deepest one in recent memory at the top. The Benson kid from Edmonton is the big prize. They are in full rebuild mode and BSM #10 would fit in nicely.
D3Referee

Post by D3Referee »

HockeySLP wrote:Being an SLP guy, I am not a fan of Baer leaving our program for BSM
yeah, that sucked ...
http://stlouispark.patch.com/articles/p ... ark-hockey

agree though ... how can Pauly be suprised. Like leaving your wife for your mistress and then she cheats on you ... whaddya expect? Tigers don't change their stripes
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Since the cat is out of the bag, I suggest we move any discussion of departing players to this thread, which I unlocked: http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30361

Let's try to keep this one focused on the game at hand.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

HockeySLP wrote:Being an SLP guy, I am not a fan of Baer leaving our program for BSM, but Pauly is an ass on this one. Alec went to Vancouver to visit the WHL, and called Pauly to let him know he was going to miss a practice. Pauly said there will be repercussions. When Alec got back, Pauley pulled him out of class on Monday and told him that he is off the team. Then Pauly would not take or return the parents call. Very Classy. The parents spoke with BSM's AD, and asked what if he was visiting a college? That would have been OK, but it is not OK to visit the WHL because they are a bunch of leaches.

When I heard that I was thinking pot meet kettle.
Assuming your story is true, the kid - and his parents who would obviously approved this - made a real dumb move. At the very least he/they should have asked for Pauly's permission before he just got up and left. Heck, even if he was going to visit a prospective college you don't choose to do that during the season. Personally I don't blame Pauly one bit for doing what he did (again, assuming what you say is true). Nobody - even your star player - is more important than the team.
green4

Post by green4 »

D3Referee wrote:
HockeySLP wrote:Being an SLP guy, I am not a fan of Baer leaving our program for BSM
yeah, that sucked ...

agree though ... how can Pauly be suprised. Like leaving your wife for your mistress and then she cheats on you ... whaddya expect? Tigers don't change their stripes
Only played for SLP because he coudn't play varsity for Edina in 8th grade... Went to school in Edina before leaving for varsity hockey at SLP. and then at that point when BSM becomes interested he leaves and now that the WHL is interested he leaves... sounds like a trend this kid had
HockeySLP

Post by HockeySLP »

green4 wrote:
D3Referee wrote:
yeah, that sucked ...

Only played for SLP because he coudn't play varsity for Edina in 8th grade... Went to school in Edina before leaving for varsity hockey at SLP. and then at that point when BSM becomes interested he leaves and now that the WHL is interested he leaves... sounds like a trend this kid had
He has always been a free agent, that is for sure. But I still get a kick out of the BSM hockey program calling anyone else a leach. Like I said pot meet kettle.