A hockey Fairytale? Believe it or not.

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Locked
DekeDangler
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:31 am

A hockey Fairytale? Believe it or not.

Post by DekeDangler » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:35 pm

An interesting story unfolded recently. A conversation started about dream teams, real teams and teams that are just fun to watch. A few individuals began to share their take on what their current program situation is. It started out as a fun/lighthearted conversation, but when asked some questions, took a more serious note. One spokesperson said, "let me tell you a story."

It was said, that one day a group of kids would grow up to some day bring home a State Championship. They were groomed by (what some will say) very special people who had very close ties to a very well known college. Special athletes and guest coaches made continual appearances at practices(and ran many practices) over the years and were allowed to be a part of the selection of players. These special guests were parents or relatives of certain players. Through the years, these kids encountered success. Some earned it and deserved to experience it, while others were shown favor and taken along for the ride. Yes, it's a sad tale. Other, more deserving players were passed on in favor of others.

Special (designated) coaches followed these young lads unitl the time was right for them to make their run. The time came for them to take all their years of grooming and "go for the gold". At this time, more special coaching changes were made and the plot was allowed to thicken. Certain players continued to be shown favor because of family realtion to the coach, their relation to influential University personnel or having influential parents in the community.

The predicted "run for the gold" began to be questioned.

Many began to see the kinks in the armor and talk openly about the secrets behind the scenes that got them to where they are and the problems that began to arise. What was, initially, an attemp to build a super team began to evolve into a team with high aspirtations and lots of flaws, denial and ego that would begin to burden them.

How does the their tale end?

What started as fairytale season, is showing signs of becoming a nightmare. Will they make an appearance in the Cities? If they fall short from getting there, will someone be held accountable? They say, "No!" There's always next year right? "Yep"! What about the year after that when the core group of kids being developed are gone? "There's already talk about coaching changes because the current coaches will look to further their career elswhere, at a higher level or just hang up their whistle." Nothing wrong with that I guess. Everyone deserves to futher their career or end it when they wish.

The conversation continued and it was interesting to wonder, if what they were saying was true or just a stretch of the imagination. Fairytail, fiction, nonfiction, tragic comedy.......... I don't know, but very interesting. I can tell you this, it's not the first hockey tale I've heard. The sad thing is, I think many of you have heard the tale as well and choose to ignore it, deny it or contest it. There are also those that have been there and can simpathize.

Whether I am that parent, that casual observer, the inocent bystander or an advocate to wright a wrong..........take it for what it is and "share" so others may learn.

If this was your tale, what would you do?

WarmUpTheBus
Posts: 625
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: A hockey Fairytale? Believe it or not.

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:18 pm

DekeDangler wrote:An interesting story unfolded recently. A conversation started about dream teams, real teams and teams that are just fun to watch. A few individuals began to share their take on what their current program situation is. It started out as a fun/lighthearted conversation, but when asked some questions, took a more serious note. One spokesperson said, "let me tell you a story."

It was said, that one day a group of kids would grow up to some day bring home a State Championship. They were groomed by (what some will say) very special people who had very close ties to a very well known college. Special athletes and guest coaches made continual appearances at practices(and ran many practices) over the years and were allowed to be a part of the selection of players. These special guests were parents or relatives of certain players. Through the years, these kids encountered success. Some earned it and deserved to experience it, while others were shown favor and taken along for the ride. Yes, it's a sad tale. Other, more deserving players were passed on in favor of others.

Special (designated) coaches followed these young lads unitl the time was right for them to make their run. The time came for them to take all their years of grooming and "go for the gold". At this time, more special coaching changes were made and the plot was allowed to thicken. Certain players continued to be shown favor because of family realtion to the coach, their relation to influential University personnel or having influential parents in the community.

The predicted "run for the gold" began to be questioned.

Many began to see the kinks in the armor and talk openly about the secrets behind the scenes that got them to where they are and the problems that began to arise. What was, initially, an attemp to build a super team began to evolve into a team with high aspirtations and lots of flaws, denial and ego that would begin to burden them.

How does the their tale end?

What started as fairytale season, is showing signs of becoming a nightmare. Will they make an appearance in the Cities? If they fall short from getting there, will someone be held accountable? They say, "No!" There's always next year right? "Yep"! What about the year after that when the core group of kids being developed are gone? "There's already talk about coaching changes because the current coaches will look to further their career elswhere, at a higher level or just hang up their whistle." Nothing wrong with that I guess. Everyone deserves to futher their career or end it when they wish.

The conversation continued and it was interesting to wonder, if what they were saying was true or just a stretch of the imagination. Fairytail, fiction, nonfiction, tragic comedy.......... I don't know, but very interesting. I can tell you this, it's not the first hockey tale I've heard. The sad thing is, I think many of you have heard the tale as well and choose to ignore it, deny it or contest it. There are also those that have been there and can simpathize.

Whether I am that parent, that casual observer, the inocent bystander or an advocate to wright a wrong..........take it for what it is and "share" so others may learn.

If this was your tale, what would you do?
Wright a wrong? Don't you mean rite a rong?

DekeDangler
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:31 am

Post by DekeDangler » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:35 pm

Thank you Warmupthebus, "to right a wrong". These old eyes and fingers aren't what they use to be.

Hockeylogger
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 6:14 pm

Post by Hockeylogger » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:30 am

Deke

Very interesting story. Being from the area I know exactly who the team is that you are talking about. Guess we will have to see how it all plays out. I won't spoil it and see if anyone else here knows what is going on.

no5hole
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:48 pm

Post by no5hole » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:54 am

You call it a hockey fairy tale. I call it Kool-aid drinkers. Given on your past post, I'm guessing you are talking about TRF, but you could insert 90% of smaller communities into this story. All I can say is good luck.

Deathblow
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:26 am

Post by Deathblow » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:46 am

no5hole wrote:You call it a hockey fairy tale. I call it Kool-aid drinkers. Given on your past post, I'm guessing you are talking about TRF, but you could insert 90% of smaller communities into this story. All I can say is good luck.
East Grand Forks...but could really be applicable to other towns.

dangle_snipe
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:28 pm

Post by dangle_snipe » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:06 am

Insert 95% of Highschool hockey programs... ( in the eyes of the parents that is)

thestickler07
Posts: 768
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:00 pm

Post by thestickler07 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:11 am

Whoever the team in the story is, I hope they lose every single game they play the rest of the year.

mulefarm
Posts: 1669
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:01 pm

Post by mulefarm » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:20 am

dangle_snipe wrote:Insert 95% of Highschool hockey programs... ( in the eyes of the parents that is)
For at least the last 50 yrs!

BodyShots
Posts: 1780
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:44 am

Post by BodyShots » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:40 am

I was thinking last years DE team. :!:

DekeDangler
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:31 am

Post by DekeDangler » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:20 am

I totally agree with you that this tale could be applicable to other towns. Although, a lot of other towns might not get the same amount of coverage and be in the spotlight as the one involved in this tale.

Are these people wrong for expressing their concern for a program that is allowing itself to be operated in this manner? They appear to be questioning it's stability and ability to develop all of the players and not just a select few. Hockey in this day and age is more than just grounding and pounding to get numbers on the board for a "W". Coaches need to be more well rounded than days gone by. They can no longer try and get by on; who they played for, where they played, who they know and how well they can condition a team and run fancy drills. If they do not have the knowledge and experience to address the psychological aspects of the player as well, they often fall short when it really counts because of their inability to produce a well rounded player. The end result, their team can fall apart. These are not college athletes that these coaches are dealing with, these are young minds that still need guidance, nurturing and discipline. That's what these parents appear to want. Honesty, integrity, strong leadership and being unselfish are characteristics of a coach that will have a strong following and be provided the necessary support for future development.

elliott70
Posts: 13100
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:31 am

I hope they win the rest of their games (but would not feel bad if TRF won).

Go Greenwave!

roundhead
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Post by roundhead » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:33 am

dangle_snipe wrote:Insert 95% of Highschool hockey programs... ( in the eyes of the parents that is)
DING, DING!!!!! We have a Winner!

mulefarm
Posts: 1669
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:01 pm

Post by mulefarm » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:40 am

DekeDangler wrote:I totally agree with you that this tale could be applicable to other towns. Although, a lot of other towns might not get the same amount of coverage and be in the spotlight as the one involved in this tale.

Are these people wrong for expressing their concern for a program that is allowing itself to be operated in this manner? They appear to be questioning it's stability and ability to develop all of the players and not just a select few. Hockey in this day and age is more than just grounding and pounding to get numbers on the board for a "W". Coaches need to be more well rounded than days gone by. They can no longer try and get by on; who they played for, where they played, who they know and how well they can condition a team and run fancy drills. If they do not have the knowledge and experience to address the psychological aspects of the player as well, they often fall short when it really counts because of their inability to produce a well rounded player. The end result, their team can fall apart. These are not college athletes that these coaches are dealing with, these are young minds that still need guidance, nurturing and discipline. That's what these parents appear to want. Honesty, integrity, strong leadership and being unselfish are characteristics of a coach that will have a strong following and be provided the necessary support for future development.
BS, the parents want their kid to be in the spotlight! Maybe the parents should use this as a life long lesson, instead of making the coach the scapegoat. How do you know the parents accusations have any validity. I doubt you know the coach and his thinking. All your fairy tale story is about a group of parents who think their kids are better than they are!!

PuckSwami
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:23 am

Post by PuckSwami » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:49 am

mulefarm wrote:
DekeDangler wrote:I totally agree with you that this tale could be applicable to other towns. Although, a lot of other towns might not get the same amount of coverage and be in the spotlight as the one involved in this tale.

Are these people wrong for expressing their concern for a program that is allowing itself to be operated in this manner? They appear to be questioning it's stability and ability to develop all of the players and not just a select few. Hockey in this day and age is more than just grounding and pounding to get numbers on the board for a "W". Coaches need to be more well rounded than days gone by. They can no longer try and get by on; who they played for, where they played, who they know and how well they can condition a team and run fancy drills. If they do not have the knowledge and experience to address the psychological aspects of the player as well, they often fall short when it really counts because of their inability to produce a well rounded player. The end result, their team can fall apart. These are not college athletes that these coaches are dealing with, these are young minds that still need guidance, nurturing and discipline. That's what these parents appear to want. Honesty, integrity, strong leadership and being unselfish are characteristics of a coach that will have a strong following and be provided the necessary support for future development.
BS, the parents want their kid to be in the spotlight! Maybe the parents should use this as a life long lesson, instead of making the coach the scapegoat. How do you know the parents accusations have any validity. I doubt you know the coach and his thinking. All your fairy tale story is about a group of parents who think their kids are better than they are!!
DING, DING!!!!! We have a Winner!

Mailman
Posts: 206
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:08 pm

Post by Mailman » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:16 am

no5hole wrote:You call it a hockey fairy tale. I call it Kool-aid drinkers. Given on your past post, I'm guessing you are talking about TRF, but you could insert 90% of smaller communities into this story. All I can say is good luck.
It's about East Grand.

DekeDangler
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:31 am

Post by DekeDangler » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:39 am

Very good! The opinions and point of views are appreciated.

BS? Really? I guess you could be right in your assumption. Maybe it is inconceivable to take into consideration that there could be any validity in this tale. How could parents, fans or casual observers every be right? Making the coach the scapegoat seems to be the norm and is generally the way matters are dealt with. Maybe, just by chance, someone actually has it right for once and the ones being called out can't handle the truth. There are so many sides to this and there are no easy conversations or answers.

If "ignorance is bliss" and "denial is the most predictable of human responses", this will be just another tabled topic that will continue to go unresolved. Some will be content with that while others dare to challenge what others do not have the strength to.

IHEA
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:37 am

Post by IHEA » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:49 am

mulefarm wrote:BS, the parents want their kid to be in the spotlight! Maybe the parents should use this as a life long lesson, instead of making the coach the scapegoat. How do you know the parents accusations have any validity. I doubt you know the coach and his thinking. All your fairy tale story is about a group of parents who think their kids are better than they are!!
DING DING we have a winner!! Like been said, this story applies to many many teams. There are parents that only care about the spotlight because they think that is the sht regardless of how it impacts their kid. They think if their bottom half kid is associated with that team, they will benefit. Truth is they are clueless. Other than getting to rub it in peoples faces that their kid is on the team, their kid is going nowhere fast because they will be left in the dust by those that are advancing their game and brain in "better" situations.

DekeDangler wrote:I totally agree with you that this tale could be applicable to other towns. Although, a lot of other towns might not get the same amount of coverage and be in the spotlight as the one involved in this tale.

Are these people wrong for expressing their concern for a program that is allowing itself to be operated in this manner? They appear to be questioning it's stability and ability to develop all of the players and not just a select few. Hockey in this day and age is more than just grounding and pounding to get numbers on the board for a "W". Coaches need to be more well rounded than days gone by. They can no longer try and get by on; who they played for, where they played, who they know and how well they can condition a team and run fancy drills. If they do not have the knowledge and experience to address the psychological aspects of the player as well, they often fall short when it really counts because of their inability to produce a well rounded player. The end result, their team can fall apart. These are not college athletes that these coaches are dealing with, these are young minds that still need guidance, nurturing and discipline. That's what these parents appear to want. Honesty, integrity, strong leadership and being unselfish are characteristics of a coach that will have a strong following and be provided the necessary support for future development.
DING DING. We have another winner!! There are are many many parents and coaches that get this too. Some great teams out there with lots of talent and really bad coaches that totally miss the mark.

Its a free country, make your choice and go with it. The chips will fall where they fall.

PuckSwami
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:23 am

Post by PuckSwami » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:50 am

DekeDangler wrote:Very good! The opinions and point of views are appreciated.

BS? Really? I guess you could be right in your assumption. Maybe it is inconceivable to take into consideration that there could be any validity in this tale. How could parents, fans or casual observers every be right? Making the coach the scapegoat seems to be the norm and is generally the way matters are dealt with. Maybe, just by chance, someone actually has it right for once and the ones being called out can't handle the truth. There are so many sides to this and there are no easy conversations or answers.

If "ignorance is bliss" and "denial is the most predictable of human responses", this will be just another tabled topic that will continue to go unresolved. Some will be content with that while others dare to challenge what others do not have the strength to.
Well Deke, it's your fairy tale, you can end it however you want to.

summer
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:22 am

Post by summer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:30 pm

This all sounds like a program I know, but the sad thing is all the kids are not that talented (some parents think they are), all the dirty dealing really for nothing! No tournament, no D1, only hard feelings and needlessly ruined high school careers.

inthestands
Posts: 451
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:09 am

Post by inthestands » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:35 pm

If this was your tale, what would you do?

I would make sure my player understood the value of hockey is hard work ethic, learning life lessons, doing their best, supporting their team mates and coaches, as well as understanding that the game or their role in that game isn't always the most important thing in life..

mnpuckster
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:33 pm

Post by mnpuckster » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:40 pm

How can anyone get anything from this post? It is so poorly written, I am having trouble deciphering what he is even trying to get at.

Your kid got cut and now you are mad at the coaches and program?

Locked