State Champions for both sexes?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Metrohockeyfan

State Champions for both sexes?

Post by Metrohockeyfan » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:54 pm

When was the last time, if ever, that a school has won a state championship for both boys and girls in the same year? There seems to be a chance this year as BSM, Tonka, Edina and EP have very talented teams for both.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:05 am

You can't win both Class AA and Class A, if you win Class A you are the girls champion.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

The Best in the Bizz3

Post by The Best in the Bizz3 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:08 am

Holy Angels

AA- boys champions
A- girls champions
The best, period

MHGr8ness

Post by MHGr8ness » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:55 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:You can't win both Class AA and Class A, if you win Class A you are the girls champion.
It's kind of ironic because the team that will win Class A doesn't have any girls in the school.

Also wouldn't rip on class A considering its champion could very well be the best team in the state.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:16 am

MHGr8ness wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:You can't win both Class AA and Class A, if you win Class A you are the girls champion.
It's kind of ironic because the team that will win Class A doesn't have any girls in the school.

Also wouldn't rip on class A considering its champion could very well be the best team in the state.
No one should laugh...ever. Got it. :roll:
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

Tenoverpar

f

Post by Tenoverpar » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:55 am

The chances of it happening are obviously slim and there would really ever only be a handful of schools that are strong enough to do it.

With that said, Minnetonka or Hill Murray could very well do it this year as both have outstanding Boys and Girls teams.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:22 am

Another school that has a decent chance this year is BSM. They are currently ranked No. 2 in boys and No. 1 in girls. But both teams will have a tough time just getting to State, as they will have to contend with all of the other excellent teams in 6AA.

mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:13 pm

In 2009, Warroad had both their boy's and girl's team finish 2nd place at the state tournament.

GPGT

Post by GPGT » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:25 pm

Lol :twisted:

JCarlson

Post by JCarlson » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:22 pm

Girls hockey? It's an oxymoron. The two words should be considered mutually exclusive.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:36 pm

JCarlson wrote:Girls hockey? It's an oxymoron. The two words should be considered mutually exclusive.
Sure thing, champ.

Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:14 am

JCarlson wrote:Girls hockey? It's an oxymoron. The two words should be considered mutually exclusive.
Mysogyny is alive and well in the Carlson house. What happened? Did the little lady forget to bring you your slippers before serving you your evening meal? :roll:

JCarlson

Post by JCarlson » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:05 pm

Garbage! :) If our hockey forefathers saw all the ponytails skatin' around out there they'd be rollin' over in their graves. It's an afront to the game I tellya.

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:11 pm

JCarlson wrote:Garbage! :) If our hockey forefathers saw all the ponytails skatin' around out there they'd be rollin' over in their graves. It's an afront to the game I tellya.

:shock: :D
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:40 am

The atmosphere at the Tonka/Benilde section final game was better than any boys game I have been to all year- there wasn't a seat open at Parade. So for those that think that Girls Hockey is still a "joke"- think again. It was a very entertaining game with Tonka coming back from a 2 goal deficit with 7 minutes left and winning in front of a packed house.

So back to the original topic of the thread...Eden Prairie beat Edina to go to state, Tonka beat Benilde to go to state, and Hill Murray beat Roseville.

All three of those teams also have a solid chance to win the Boys Tournament as well. I may be biased but I believe that Minnetonka has a very good chance at running the table in both, girls especially.

D3Referee

Post by D3Referee » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:46 am

tonkafan77 wrote:The atmosphere at the Tonka/Benilde section final game was better than any boys game I have been to all year- there wasn't a seat open at Parade. So for those that think that Girls Hockey is still a "joke"- think again. It was a very entertaining game with Tonka coming back from a 2 goal deficit with 7 minutes left and winning in front of a packed house.

So back to the original topic of the thread...Eden Prairie beat Edina to go to state, Tonka beat Benilde to go to state, and Hill Murray beat Roseville.

All three of those teams also have a solid chance to win the Boys Tournament as well. I may be biased but I believe that Minnetonka has a very good chance at running the table in both, girls especially.
EP has a solid chance to win the boys Tournament? A fairly generous use of the word "solid".

The Hill Murray and the Eagan girls are already at State. I would say those two teams have the best chance of having their male counterparts join them.

Minnetonka ... well, I wish them well, but me thinks a different champion is coming from 6AA to represent the boys

Metrohockeyfan

Post by Metrohockeyfan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:49 am

tonkafan77 wrote:The atmosphere at the Tonka/Benilde section final game was better than any boys game I have been to all year- there wasn't a seat open at Parade. So for those that think that Girls Hockey is still a "joke"- think again. It was a very entertaining game with Tonka coming back from a 2 goal deficit with 7 minutes left and winning in front of a packed house.

Was at the Tonka/Benilde game as well, and couldn't agree more. Unbelievable atmosphere. With that being said, I beleive that that was basicallly the girls state championship game. Now it is up to Tonka to make it out of 6AA, which I don't see happening.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:33 am

Metrohockeyfan wrote:

Was at the Tonka/Benilde game as well, and couldn't agree more. Unbelievable atmosphere. With that being said, I beleive that that was basicallly the girls state championship game. Now it is up to Tonka to make it out of 6AA, which I don't see happening.
Since the loss to BSM, Tonka has gone 9-1 with the loss being to DE but including a sweep of EP, WAY and EDI. While the loss to BSM was bad, what is so much more impressive on BSM's résumé that makes Tonka such an underdog? Was it splitting with Wayzata (a team Tonka swept), the loss to HM (a team Tonka beat) or the loss to Blaine (who Tonka plays tonight)?

BSM should be the favorite and their speed may kill on the big sheet, but Tonka is going to be motivated and is playing as well as any team right now.

slacsap

Post by slacsap » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:37 am

Slap Shot:
While I agree with tbasic point of your post that Tonka should not be anything more than maybe a slight underdog to BSM, you did make one slight error in your argument. Tonka did not beat HM this season. Hill won 2-1 in the Schwan Cup.

tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:42 am

And Minnetonka already beat Blaine 6-2 in the Schwans Cup

D3Referee

Post by D3Referee » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:48 am

Slap Shot wrote: Since the loss to BSM, Tonka has gone 9-1 with the loss being to DE but including a sweep of EP, WAY and EDI. While the loss to BSM was bad, what is so much more impressive on BSM's résumé that makes Tonka such an underdog? Was it splitting with Wayzata (a team Tonka swept), the loss to HM (a team Tonka beat) or the loss to Blaine (who Tonka plays tonight)?

BSM should be the favorite and their speed may kill on the big sheet, but Tonka is going to be motivated and is playing as well as any team right now.
I don't disagree, but the fact that there are 4 teams who can beat each other any given night (BSM, Tonka, Wayz, EP) reduces Tonka's chance to no better than 25% in my opinion.

On the flip side, a team like Hill Murray looks to have an 80-90% chance of coming out of 4AA.

That's why I see HM as the odds on favorite to advance, while Tonka, in fact, has the odds stacked against them 75-25.

Also, it is Wayzata that has the experience on the big sheet of ice. It was Wayzata that won when it mattered, (7-1 win in the Ship over BSM). And it was Wayzata that beat #1 ranked Hill Murray.

I expect they will be equally prepared in sections.

That's how I look at it anyways.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:56 pm

D3Referee wrote:I don't disagree, but the fact that there are 4 teams who can beat each other any given night (BSM, Tonka, Wayz, EP) reduces Tonka's chance to no better than 25% in my opinion.

On the flip side, a team like Hill Murray looks to have an 80-90% chance of coming out of 4AA.

That's why I see HM as the odds on favorite to advance, while Tonka, in fact, has the odds stacked against them 75-25.

Also, it is Wayzata that has the experience on the big sheet of ice. It was Wayzata that won when it mattered, (7-1 win in the Ship over BSM). And it was Wayzata that beat #1 ranked Hill Murray.

I expect they will be equally prepared in sections.

That's how I look at it anyways.
All great points, except I would have to put EP's chances a little below that of Tonka, BSM and Wayzata. So maybe the odds Tonka, BSM and Wayzata all face are a little better than 75-25 against, more like 70-30?

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:18 pm

Metrohockeyfan wrote:Was at the Tonka/Benilde game as well, and couldn't agree more. Unbelievable atmosphere. With that being said, I beleive that that was basicallly the girls state championship game. Now it is up to Tonka to make it out of 6AA, which I don't see happening.
On the girls forum someone pointed out that BSM had 5 games against teams that made State and outscored those teams 27-3. Whoever comes out of 6AA on the boys side should have an impressive record against teams advancing to State from the other sections as well.

D3Referee

Post by D3Referee » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:13 am

MNHockeyFan wrote: On the girls forum someone pointed out that BSM had 5 games against teams that made State and outscored those teams 27-3. Whoever comes out of 6AA on the boys side should have an impressive record against teams advancing to State from the other sections as well.
Actually, no. Not sure who will advance from 1AA and 8AA, but the favorites from the other sections are;

2AA - Edina
3AA - Eagan
4AA - Hill Murray
5AA - Blaine
7AA - Duluth East

Those above 5 teams combined have a 14-7 record against the top 5 teams in 6AA

Seems like 6AA (and the Lake Conference) might be a bit over-rated.

tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:36 am

D3Referee wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote: On the girls forum someone pointed out that BSM had 5 games against teams that made State and outscored those teams 27-3. Whoever comes out of 6AA on the boys side should have an impressive record against teams advancing to State from the other sections as well.
Actually, no. Not sure who will advance from 1AA and 8AA, but the favorites from the other sections are;

2AA - Edina
3AA - Eagan
4AA - Hill Murray
5AA - Blaine
7AA - Duluth East

Those above 5 teams combined have a 14-7 record against the top 5 teams in 6AA

Seems like 6AA (and the Lake Conference) might be a bit over-rated.
When you put the single best teams from the other sections against the top FIVE of ONE section, of course the results will be skewed. Nice logic, referee. No one said the winner of 6AA is the best team in the state; it is merely common knowledge that 6AA annually has the most depth as to HOW MANY top teams it contains.