Farmington Goalie

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

stpaul

Austin Krause

Post by stpaul »

hshckylvr wrote:My bet is the scenario went something like this.......Parents have been telling their son, ever since he was a Pee Wee, "son, keep working hard, everyone gets their chance. You just have to wait your turn....that's how it is in high school hockey." In the meantime he has worked his a$$ of, taken abuse ( verbally and emotionally) from his coaches and probably most of his team (most goalies do. It's a thankless job) for the last 3 years keeping his mouth shut, cuz his chance is coming. Now in his Sr year, some wet behind the ears soph rolls in the door (dad probably funds the team or drinks beer with the coaches, cuz that's how it is in real life), and takes his unearned spot in the net. Now I'm sure the details probably aren't spot on, but my bet is its closer to the truth than not. Not condoning what he did, but understand why he probably felt that way. He's a KID (and a boy to boot and we all know they take awhile to develop judgement)....cant tell me you have never wanted to flip a boss off at some point in your life.
What you describe goes on in every sport in every season on every team. Senior buddies get cut. Every kid who is not a starter or on a top line can make the same complaint. The life lesson is to continue to work hard and share in the team's successes and failures. Old men and women who played team sports when they were in school share a bond with teammates for the rest of their lives. He pissed that away in about 10 seconds last night.

My best guess is that the other goalie is actually better than he is. Look at Farmington's stats. Krause's save pct. is .25 lower than Overby's. Krause did not sit on the bench all year. He started 9 games and has almost as many minutes as Overby. Krause was a backup last year as a junior and hardly played. Sure looks like he got his chance to be the #1 goalie this year as a senior. 12 days ago he beat Holy Angels. Beating once powerful Holy Angels will no longer be what he is remembered for. He'll be remembered for throwing a game and screwing his teammates out of a win. What he did was inexcusable.
Last edited by stpaul on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
inthestands

Post by inthestands »

hshckylvr wrote:My bet is the scenario went something like this.......Parents have been telling their son, ever since he was a Pee Wee, "son, keep working hard, everyone gets their chance. You just have to wait your turn....that's how it is in high school hockey." In the meantime he has worked his a$$ of, taken abuse ( verbally and emotionally) from his coaches and probably most of his team (most goalies do. It's a thankless job) for the last 3 years keeping his mouth shut, cuz his chance is coming. Now in his Sr year, some wet behind the ears soph rolls in the door (dad probably funds the team or drinks beer with the coaches, cuz that's how it is in real life), and takes his unearned spot in the net. Now I'm sure the details probably aren't spot on, but my bet is its closer to the truth than not. Not condoning what he did, but understand why he probably felt that way. He's a KID (and a boy to boot and we all know they take awhile to develop judgement)....cant tell me you have never wanted to flip a boss off at some point in your life.

Even if your details were exactly spot on, I'm struggling to find value in what happened. It was filmed, there was someone at the exit door waiting for him. Pre-planned and executed perfectly.. In their eyes.

If I'm a coach with a potential borderline senior from now on, it's likely he's going to be replaced with an upcoming freshman or sophmore that might contribute later.

You are right, what kid or adult hasn't wanted to do something like that. The difference is, most don't...
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

Heard the kid did it not just for himself but for a lot of the seniors who got demoted to JV in a youth movement. Big division inside the team. Parents upset about the changes this season. Etc. Don't know if it's all true, however, no matter how bad the problems on the team were this is not the solution. If the coaching staff was so horrible they wouldn't give the kid the start on senior day.

This story fascinates me for some reason. Anybody know what really went on?
hshckylvr

Post by hshckylvr »

It fascinates me as well. I would love to hear the real story. I find the holier-than-thou attitude many of these topics elicit on this board, somehat surprising. These are boys, with immature brains, and one made a mistake.....for real, guys, has your son never made an embarrassing mistake, used poor judgement, let his emotions get the best of him? Haven't you? Wow. I'm not condoning it and believe me, my son would have a long one sided conversation after this, but I wouldn't assume he would end up in jail someday.
Cdale

Post by Cdale »

grandindian

Post by grandindian »

Actually, I have a solution. Be good enough. And if you aren't, accept your role with some class. And if you are a parent don't get on a forum and minimize your kid's poor choice. Hold him or her accountable. But then again, that was probably the kind of parenting perspective that set the table for this long ago.
hshckylvr

Post by hshckylvr »

inthestands wrote:I can't imagine one situation where his team mates of probably 12 or more years would deserve that type of behavior, no matter what the details are.

I'm afraid of what this players future holds... Hockey's a game full of life lessons that hopefully help you prepare for life after high school. That didn't happen here.
You can't see any lessons here?

1)Sometimes people do impulsive, irresponsible things. It doesn't make them a bad person
2)Sometimes revengeful acts hurt the people around you, like your teammates. This is a poor decision.
3)Sometimes you have to work for people you don't like, respect, or agree with, like coaches. You will need to learn to do this if you want to feed your family.
4)Sometimes life isn't fair. Sometimes individuals with less talent or more connections will be promoted. Sometimes you will be that guy.
5)Sometime you should forgive people for their acts, you might need it someday yourself.
6)Sometimes your coworkers (parents or teammates) will be malcontents. think things out before you act.

Sign me.....Somebody who has made mistakes as a teenager and still turned out ok
Last edited by hshckylvr on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

Edit for duplicate post
Skatesharpener

Post by Skatesharpener »

hshckylvr wrote:
inthestands wrote:I can't imagine one situation where his team mates of probably 12 or more years would deserve that type of behavior, no matter what the details are.

I'm afraid of what this players future holds... Hockey's a game full of life lessons that hopefully help you prepare for life after high school. That didn't happen here.

1)Sometimes people do impulsive, irresponsible things. It doesn't make them a bad person
2)Sometimes revengeful acts hurt the people around you, like your teammates
3)Sometimes you have to work for people you don't like, respect, or agree with, like coaches
4)Sometimes life isn't fair
5)Sometime you should forgive people for their acts, you might need it someday yourself.

There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for this behavior...and it was most certainly NOT impulsive since it was recorded and the door was already open for him. As the parent of a Farmington Hockey player, I am mortified.

If your playing time gets cut, there's a reason. Suck it up.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

As a former goalie myself, I can understand the potential for frustration and jealousy, if that's what this was about. But I have to disagree on goaltending being a thankless job. Maybe on a team that deserves to be flipped off, but any group with an ounce of intelligence knows the goalie needs to be coddled in every imaginable way. "Abusing" your goalie-- which hshckylvr seems to think is common -- is a sure-fire way to insure that you have a crap keeper, and I've never seen it employed as a strategy by a coach or a team. Goalies have thick skin everywhere, except over their self-confidence.

Now, goalies ARE often cursed by extreme forms of self-martyrdom, and may consider their defensemen abusive and cruel for not clearing rebounds. But that's a different story.
Bluelightspecial

Post by Bluelightspecial »

Same boys dad is not allowed to watch 10 year old daughter play. Verbal outbursts at coaching staff. Chip off the old block!!!!!!!
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

The Strib is linking their online story on this to this forum :D
barry_mcconnell

Post by barry_mcconnell »

I feel bad for this kid. Once the anger fades the regret will settle in. People will always remember him for this selfish and silly action.
drop the puck

Post by drop the puck »

It is just a game. Sometimes statements need to be made. He made it.

Farmington still has Sections they will move on too.

Probably several 4th line seniors on one side of the ice or the other grinning just a little too.

Anyone remember Tyler Hirsch with the Gophers. :shock:
hshckylvr

Post by hshckylvr »

Not condoning or excusing the behavior. Read the posts above. Can I understand his and his families frustration, yes. Is it forgivable, probably, if it was an impulsive mistake and he's sorry. Are he and his family bad people, I don't know, but who am I to judge?

It was terrible and I don't agree with it. I hope it was a mistake borne out of frustration and not a reflection on who they really are. I also dont think the pompous, self righteous responses on this board are right either and hope they don't reflect who YOU really are.
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

goldy313 wrote:The Strib is linking their online story on this to this forum :D
Better make sure it's a fun forum, eh? :wink:

As a goaltender myself, I find the act deplorable... Justin Johnson, the Gopher goalie coach, once said to me "Goalies make great citizens, because the way they are asked to constantly deal with pressure and adversity." In my opinion, Krause failed in this regard. It is never acceptable to act out in that manner, especially when it puts others in a poor situation, and in that we'll completely disregard that it was senior night as well...

I do not understand it. I know Farmington has an up and coming group of players and if they youth are performing well, why shouldn't they play? I was a freshman goalie in high school and took the starting spot from a senior and two sophomores (at that time) and, while internally they probably did not care for it at all, they never acted out against the coaching staff or the team in any manner...

Somethings are just uncalled for, and turning the senior night into a national-media spectacle/debacle over night because you were upset seems unnecessary and childish.
OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE »

He and his teamates will share many laughs about this at future high school reunions.

Bravo!!

Well played kid.

The "life lesson" thing is the most overrated cliche in youth sports.
ThatKid

Post by ThatKid »

I played for these guys last year and I can tell you from personal experience that the locker room is divided. Not between the players but between the players and the coaches. There is no respect given from the players along with no respect given from the coaches. The way Krause handled it was not ok, but on my behalf I can feel his frustration. There were many conversations last year about doing the same thing with multiple players. 2 players actually quit during the season one of them our captain. There are some obvious issues in that locker room and Krause just got fed up. Once again, it was the wrong way to handle it but I can feel his frustration.
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

Four years from now, when the kid is preparing to graduate from college, he will be sending out applications to prospective employers.
As is the custom, many employers will do a little research on their applicants. Some may even google his name and see what comes up.
Once they see his attitude toward authority and adversity, they will throw his resume in the trash.
OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE »

hockeydad wrote:Four years from now, when the kid is preparing to graduate from college, he will be sending out applications to prospective employers.
As is the custom, many employers will do a little research on their applicants. Some may even google his name and see what comes up.
Once they see his attitude toward authority and adversity, they will throw his resume in the trash.
:roll:
inthestands

Post by inthestands »

hshckylvr wrote:

2)Sometimes revengeful acts hurt the people around you, like your teammates. This is a poor decision.
3)Sometimes you have to work for people you don't like, respect, or agree with, like coaches. You will need to learn to do this if you want to feed your family.
4)Sometimes life isn't fair. Sometimes individuals with less talent or more connections will be promoted. Sometimes you will be that guy.
6)Sometimes your coworkers (parents or teammates) will be malcontents. think things out before you act.

Sign me.....Somebody who has made mistakes as a teenager and still turned out ok
Those aren't lessons, most are just excuses.

There is something to be learned from all this. Entitlement is a terrible thing.

It's unfortunate this player wasn't able to enjoy his HS hockey time. It's such a short stop on the way to the rest of your time..
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

Interesting -- I looked at the scoresheet and they gave Krause the loss (and not the goal-heh heh.) No other goalie given game minutes.

I'm sure that stings. :twisted:

But it was the right thing to do by some quiet but righteous score-keeper somewhere.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/game/game_sheet/3584135

I'm pretty sure they'll all be laughing about this in years to come, but I doubt whether this goalie will ever play anything again except rec league, as talented as he might have been (???)
stpaul

Post by stpaul »

drop the puck wrote:It is just a game. Sometimes statements need to be made. He made it.

Farmington still has Sections they will move on too.

Probably several 4th line seniors on one side of the ice or the other grinning just a little too.

Anyone remember Tyler Hirsch with the Gophers. :shock:
I do remember Tyler Hircsh. He acted like a fool and quit. I remember that he quit on his teammates. However he did not throw a game.
Better Dead Than Red

Post by Better Dead Than Red »

Way to show those coaches they made such a mistake starting the other goalie half the time with his better GAA and save % - you really taught them a lesson Austin!
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

Best YouTube comment ever:

"Not his fault. Defensive breakdown."

Any goalie or goalie parent will get a giggle out if that.