When is it OK to quit?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Tenoverpar

f

Post by Tenoverpar » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:53 am

Here's the truth...Austin Krause will be legend in the town of Farmington for an eternity, you'll likely see him ponied up next to the townee's at the bar for years, a hero in his own mind and this incident will the only thing he takes away from his experience. Meanwhile two years from now the current Sophomore group at Farmington will be vying to play for a section title and the kid that played half of this season while poor Austin was on the bench will be trying to lead his team to State...oh, wait, that will be happening next week, my bad. #poorAustin

bestpopcorn

Post by bestpopcorn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:13 am

grindiangrad-80 wrote:I don't think there are too many kids that have to go through the adversity that Jabby from BSM has gone through. And since I saw him out on Pokegama Lake in a howling blizzard supporting his team, I would say that it is almost never okay to quit.
Jabby didn't quit. Apples/Oranges

I am trying to figure out if your post is offensive. I am not sure...

My son has a friend that quit mid season, it just wasn't working for him. He loves hockey and still comes to the game and cheers for the team.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:16 am

bestpopcorn wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:I don't think there are too many kids that have to go through the adversity that Jabby from BSM has gone through. And since I saw him out on Pokegama Lake in a howling blizzard supporting his team, I would say that it is almost never okay to quit.

My son has a friend that quit mid season, it just wasn't working for him. He loves hockey and still comes to the game and cheers for the team.
Absolutely not offensive. I am saying after everything he went through he still out there with his team. Not sure how you could take that any other way.

bestpopcorn

Post by bestpopcorn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:29 am

grindingrad - I am just wondering if it OK to compare the ordeal Jabs is going through to what someone else's kid may be. Does it take away from Jabs? Is it OK to just put him out there?

As a father I wouldn't play that card. It would border on cruel. My son comes to me with this or that concern about not wanting to continue and I point to Jabs? I could see where my son might consider me less than reasonable. He may even consider me to be an ass****.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:40 am

bestpopcorn wrote:grindingrad - I am just wondering if it OK to compare the ordeal Jabs is going through to what someone else's kid may be. Does it take away from Jabs? Is it OK to just put him out there?

As a father I wouldn't play that card. It would border on cruel. My son comes to me with this or that concern about not wanting to continue and I point to Jabs? I could see where my son might consider me less than reasonable. He may even consider me to be an ass****.
I just gave an opinion on the topic of whether or not it is okay to quit.
Based on how a young man handled his situation, which is as tough of a situation as any I have heard of, I feel most people should be able to stick it out. There are going to be exceptions. Sorry I tried to contribute to the discussion.

bestpopcorn

Post by bestpopcorn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:52 am

Grindin - Don't quit.

I am sorry, it just seems so off the wall. My 18 year old comes to me heart broken because his girlfriend left him and I tell him to buck up, after all his grandpa lost grandma in the holocaust.

This thread has been really interesting. At least to me.

nahc

Post by nahc » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:09 am

A request: Would all posters on this thread and the Farmington Goalie thread take the time to post on the thread concerning Tony Hague. This young man is facing a fight with cancer and can certainly use all encouragment possible........

Tony's situation is real life.........cmon everyone, lets utilize all this energy to truly help someone else........

WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:47 pm

nahc wrote:A request: Would all posters on this thread and the Farmington Goalie thread take the time to post on the thread concerning Tony Hague. This young man is facing a fight with cancer and can certainly use all encouragment possible........

Tony's situation is real life.........cmon everyone, lets utilize all this energy to truly help someone else........
Agreed. Tony and Gabby, fighting life-threatening or life-changing health issues are certainly things where "quitting" is not an option. That cannot compare to quitting a game/sport.
Godspeed, Tony.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:14 pm

bestpopcorn wrote:

Interesting.... why did he quit? "Wasn't working for him". What does that mean? Wasn't playing? How did his teammates react? How did the coach react? Is this a high school aged kid?

bestpopcorn

Post by bestpopcorn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:26 pm

Senior JV player. Wasn't going to get to Varsity and was having no fun. In small towns we have senior JV players that quit. In big towns they are cut.

Not a big deal to anyone involved.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:11 pm

bestpopcorn wrote:Senior JV player. Wasn't going to get to Varsity and was having no fun. In small towns we have senior JV players that quit. In big towns they are cut.

Just curious. For our high school team, once you make the team, there is an added team fee. The team fee is based on the projected team expenses divided by the number of players. Do they reimburse these team fees to the individual who quit? On our team, absolutely not.

bestpopcorn

Post by bestpopcorn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:39 pm

Our high school charges an activity fee that I am pretty sure he didn't get back. I think 100.00. The team had a separate fee that covered his team warm up etc. Since he got the product he would not get that back either. He quit about 1/2 way through the season. Total cost to play is only around 200.00

My impression is that Southern MN hockey is cheaper than elsewhere. That does not keep people from complaining.

WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:15 pm

bestpopcorn wrote:Senior JV player. Wasn't going to get to Varsity and was having no fun. In small towns we have senior JV players that quit. In big towns they are cut.

Senior Night is an interesting situation for these such players. Do you know how they honor them in your town? In ours, they are just mentioned during the Varsity game, which I believe adds insult to injury. Not to be insensitive, but I think they are better off cutting seniors that don't make varsity. JV is for development. What are you developing Seniors for?

bestpopcorn

Post by bestpopcorn » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:11 am

Senior Night is an interesting situation for these such players. Do you know how they honor them in your town? In ours, they are just mentioned during the Varsity game, which I believe adds insult to injury. Not to be insensitive, but I think they are better off cutting seniors that don't make varsity. JV is for development. What are you developing Seniors for?
On Senior night there is no difference, JV or Varsity. They are treated the same. It seems strange to me to do otherwise.

In our small town we need everyone we can get to field a JV.