Section 5A

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

GPGT

Section 5A

Post by GPGT »

Section 5A

1. Hermantown
2. St. Cloud Cathedral
3. Princeton
4. Rogers
5. Legacy Christian
6. Sauk Rapids
7. Mora
8. Proctor
9. Pine City/ Rush City
10. North Branch
11. MLA

So how do Pince city, North Branch and MLA fit in the picture? Hoping its not going to start out with Htown vs Moose Lake .. That could be pretty brutal
BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

Hermantown will play the winner of Proctor (8 ) and Pine City(9).

SCC will play the winner of Mora (7) and North Branch (10).

Princeton will play the winner of Sauk Rapids (6) and Moose Lake (11).

Rogers (4) faces Legacy Christian (5) in the quarterfinals..

I'm semi-surprised the Hermantown got the top seed over Cathedral as Cathedral beat them and avenged their loss to Princeton convincingly. Don't read that as me complaining because that's definitely not the case. In fact, I think that Princeton and Rogers are two fairly even opponents.

Regardless, I hope SCC and Hermantown square off in the section championship...that would be better than probably all of the first round class A games as I feel both are top 5 teams.
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

BobSaget wrote:Hermantown will play the winner of Proctor (8 ) and Pine City(9).

SCC will play the winner of Mora (7) and North Branch (10).

Princeton will play the winner of Sauk Rapids (6) and Moose Lake (11).

Rogers (4) faces Legacy Christian (5) in the quarterfinals..

I'm semi-surprised the Hermantown got the top seed over Cathedral as Cathedral beat them and avenged their loss to Princeton convincingly. Don't read that as me complaining because that's definitely not the case. In fact, I think that Princeton and Rogers are two fairly even opponents.

Regardless, I hope SCC and Hermantown square off in the section championship...that would be better than probably all of the first round class A games as I feel both are top 5 teams.

Agreed, Hermantown is looking really good, and this could be a great section to watch in the playoffs.. THis is the first time I will be attending the state tourney in a looooong time... So to see Duluth East, Marshall or Denfeld, and Hermantown make it down there would be A pretty nice treat for us :)
stcloudfan

Post by stcloudfan »

Shocked SCC is not the #1 seed. Where is the respect? Both great teams but logic would give the nod to the head to head winner. If you want to talk record cathedrals loss to holy family and tech came without their best player too.
GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 »

stcloudfan wrote:Shocked SCC is not the #1 seed. Where is the respect? Both great teams but logic would give the nod to the head to head winner. If you want to talk record cathedrals loss to holy family and tech came without their best player too.
Im as big of a St Cloud hockey supporter as anyone on here and yes Cathedral did beat Hermantown head to head but Hermantown also played a much tougher schedule and beat teams more convincingly and just played harder teams, regardless both teams should meet up in the section final for a heck of a game.
stcloudfan

Post by stcloudfan »

GordonBombay99 wrote:
stcloudfan wrote:Shocked SCC is not the #1 seed. Where is the respect? Both great teams but logic would give the nod to the head to head winner. If you want to talk record cathedrals loss to holy family and tech came without their best player too.
Im as big of a St Cloud hockey supporter as anyone on here and yes Cathedral did beat Hermantown head to head but Hermantown also played a much tougher schedule and beat teams more convincingly and just played harder teams, regardless both teams should meet up in the section final for a heck of a game.
Then what's the point at all of playing any section games? By that I mean cathedral scheduling weak section games like mora, proctor, Sauk rapids? SCC should protest by not scheduling any section opponents other than Hermantown and maybe Princeton if they are going to be decent again next year. Sorry for the soap box but I don't feel the seeding is justified at all. Please tell me the action final isn't at a "neutral" arena like cloquet again....that was a joke a joke o a location a few years ago when SCC beat Hermantown in the section final.
truehockeyfan

Post by truehockeyfan »

Ya I don't get how SCC does not get the #1 seed. In this scenario it doesn't matter because Rogers/Princeton are pretty evenly matched teams. In other situations where there are 3 strong teams in a section the difference between the 1 and 2 seed is huge.
gac85

Post by gac85 »

Looks like it is hard to unseed the Public School Champion.
stcloudfan

Post by stcloudfan »

gac85 wrote:Looks like it is hard to unseed the Public School Champion.
Well they are my favorite public school. There coach seems like a hard ass and they play nice northern physical hockey.
Puck76

Post by Puck76 »

GordonBombay99 wrote:
I don't think you can make the argument Cathedral's schedule was much easier then Hermantown's. Cathedral played 14 ranked teams, Hermantown played 15. Head-to-head Cathdral won. In this case it makes no difference. Cathedral started with a lot of players in new rolls and they have matured well over the season. It should be an interesting game if they see each other again.
Northern Defender

Post by Northern Defender »

Hey St Cloud fan, when you talk about neutral sites being a joke how about this year where if SCC and Hermantown are in the final Hermantown travels 170 mi and SCC travels 69? As far as the seeding, maybe the section final score will bring more clarity for you around rankings accuracy.
BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

truehockeyfan wrote:Ya I don't get how SCC does not get the #1 seed. In this scenario it doesn't matter because Rogers/Princeton are pretty evenly matched teams. In other situations where there are 3 strong teams in a section the difference between the 1 and 2 seed is huge.
Agreed 100%. Luckily it's not that way.

Cathedral got jobbed and this proves that something fishy has gone on. That said, coaches in this section have not been too kind to SCC in the past. Perhaps it's the obvious private school hatred that is out there. Perhaps it's because Coach Plante is more cutthroat than Coach Johnson when it comes down to the meeting.

Who knows? But...as I told many of my friends at the SCC/Rogers game the other night...Cathedral has had historically bad luck come section seeding time in recent years and I wouldn't be surprised if they got the 2nd seed.

They are the 2nd seed, fair or not. Hopefully they don't get in their own way like they did early in the season.
Puck76

Post by Puck76 »

Northern Defender wrote:Hey St Cloud fan, when you talk about neutral sites being a joke how about this year where if SCC and Hermantown are in the final Hermantown travels 170 mi and SCC travels 69? As far as the seeding, maybe the section final score will bring more clarity for you around rankings accuracy.
This section never has a neutral site. It is either in the Duluth/Cloquet area or as it is this year. You need to re-align this section to get the out of area team out if you want it different.
BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

Northern Defender wrote:Hey St Cloud fan, when you talk about neutral sites being a joke how about this year where if SCC and Hermantown are in the final Hermantown travels 170 mi and SCC travels 69? As far as the seeding, maybe the section final score will bring more clarity for you around rankings accuracy.
That really is a mute point.

Hermantown to Cloquet...18 miles (25 minutes)
St. Cloud to Cloquet...130 miles (2 hours 25 minutes)

Hermantown to Champlin...144 miles (2 hours 25 minutes)
Saint Cloud to Champlin...55 miles (1 hour 3 minutes)

So...clearly Cloquet is the "less neutral" site.

Anyway, it comes down to the fact that there is no reason for SCC and Hermantown to be in the same section. The MSHSL doesn't want SCC to have a free pass into the state tournament every year (IMO) and are willing to make them travel to do it. Unfortunately, Sauk Rapids has to deal with the problems to cover up that intent.
HawkeyPower

Post by HawkeyPower »

stcloudfan wrote:
GordonBombay99 wrote:

Then what's the point at all of playing any section games? By that I mean cathedral scheduling weak section games like mora, proctor, Sauk rapids? SCC should protest by not scheduling any section opponents other than Hermantown and maybe Princeton if they are going to be decent again next year. Sorry for the soap box but I don't feel the seeding is justified at all. Please tell me the action final isn't at a "neutral" arena like cloquet again....that was a joke a joke o a location a few years ago when SCC beat Hermantown in the section final.[/quot

I am suprised also, but I do believe they had more quality wins and wins by a greater goal differential. That is the only reason I think they could have went that way. It was unfortunate for SCC to have Poganski gone for 2 losses, but those cant be overlooked because every other team has injuries, sickness etc.
SCC does not have to schedule any Section games if they choose not to. Hermantown usually schedules the top 2-3 teams from section 5 every year and have to play Proctor because of the Conference affiliation. You definitely dont have to schedule the lower tier teams.
The site for Section 5 the last couple years has alternated North and South between the Heritage Center in Duluth and Champlain down South. This year is it will be at the "Neutral" site in Champlain.
BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

Just a chime in...Poganski missed three of their losses (Tech, Warroad, HFC).

As HawkeyPower stated, doesn't matter. Other teams deal with injuries and you play with the guys you've got.

Hermantown has done nothing wrong and should not be put on blast for getting the #1 seed nor the location of the section final. Those issues should be addressed with the other coaches in the section and the MSHSL board.

As I understand it, the voting works in a way so each coach ranks every team in their section other than themselves (1-10). I'd imagine Coach Plante voted Cathedral #1 and Coach Johnson voted Hermantown #1.
HockeyBum

Post by HockeyBum »

Don't forget the seeding gains you one thing and that is last change on face offs in the final game. Aside from that all it does is boost parents ego's.

Both SCC and Hermantown will have last change up to the final game and home ice advantage. I think this year the two team are so close that it doesn't matter. The #1 seed being Hermantown does not gain home ice advantage in the final game with the seeding, so it's almost a wash, Home Ice or Last Change. If HS coaches play the last change card to many time the 3rd period could be pretty ugly for them with tired 1st liners...

I think we should all cheer for both of these teams to make it to the finals so as one previous poster already said, it will be one hell of a game.

SCC and Hermantown have both beaten pretty good teams on the road where they neither had home ice or last change.

I thinks this conversation should be over!!! ...unless your ego is still bruised?

...and by the way (IMO) all private schools should have to play in their own section to make it to state since they have a different rule set as the private schools do for recruiting players.
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

It comes down to a "neutral" site all the time it seems... And everyone keeps complaining about it.. Isn't enough , enough already???? To me the sections need to get re worked.. How is St cloud in the same "section" as a team 3 hrs north of them? Its pretty ridiculous... 7AA is even worse, 7AA is and has for the most part been all Northern team, and now Elk River, Andover Flake, etc cry because its so far away...

If the team is good enough and can play well on the road , what does it matter?? Duluth East seemed to do pretty well over the years in ST Paul, against Edina, Eden Prarie, Minnetonka, St Thomas, WBL, Centennial, etc etc and the list goes on, But when they lose, do they blame it on the Xcel Center? Distance traveled? Its more "their" home rink? NO

Does Moorhead, Roseau, Warroad, TRF, etc ever complain where its at? Nope.. Complaining about were the section finals are is nothing but a complaint, or excuse, with a little hint of whining
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

But anyways .. Go Hermantown!! Time to lay it all out there now since the Defeat SCC gave you apparently means they are the superior team.. Even tho Htown controlled the play , Out shot them handily, and lost in OT
BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

GPGT wrote:But anyways .. Go Hermantown!! Time to lay it all out there now since the Defeat SCC gave you apparently means they are the superior team.. Even tho Htown controlled the play , Out shot them handily, and lost in OT
I thought Hermantown was the better team in these two teams first go. Controlled the play?? Wouldn't go that far. Was a pretty back and forth game but I thought Hermantown looked deeper with the goaltending being awful both ways in that game.

Both teams seem to be hitting their stride at the right time...hopefully we don't see any upsets and these two get a chance to go at it again.

As a St. Cloud and Cathedral grad, I have to say that I love Bruce Plante. I think the guy is one of the best coaches (if not the best) in the state without a doubt. An old school hard ass with a lot of character...love it. I love hearing his interviews with reporters at the state tourney.
MHGr8ness

Post by MHGr8ness »

Cathedral plays Mora because of their conference. It's also their choice on who to schedule so they can't complain if scheduling a weaker one compared to Hermantown comes back to bite them.

I like how they complain about how they got slighted but if they're the best team then it doesn't really matter. Both have a bye, then home advantage. The best team will win is all it comes down to.

Quit bitching, win, and shut everyone up.
HawkeyPower

Post by HawkeyPower »

My remark about the "neutral" site was just sarcasm to the last post. I really could care less where the game is played. Although last years Section 5a final at the Heritage center in Duluth was a joke. No where near enough capacity.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

HockeyBum wrote:Don't forget the seeding gains you one thing and that is last change on face offs in the final game. Aside from that all it does is boost parents ego's.
I've been told that can be pretty important...
HawkyFan9

Post by HawkyFan9 »

[quote="HawkeyPower"][quote="stcloudfan"][quote="GordonBombay99"][quote="stcloudfan"]Shocked SCC is not the #1 seed. Where is the respect? Both great teams but logic would give the nod to the head to head winner. If you want to talk record cathedrals loss to holy family and tech came without their best player too.[/quote]

Im as big of a St Cloud hockey supporter as anyone on here and yes Cathedral did beat Hermantown head to head but Hermantown also played a much tougher schedule and beat teams more convincingly and just played harder teams, regardless both teams should meet up in the section final for a heck of a game.[/quote]

Then what's the point at all of playing any section games? By that I mean cathedral scheduling weak section games like mora, proctor, Sauk rapids? SCC should protest by not scheduling any section opponents other than Hermantown and maybe Princeton if they are going to be decent again next year. Sorry for the soap box but I don't feel the seeding is justified at all. Please tell me the action final isn't at a "neutral" arena like cloquet again....that was a joke a joke o a location a few years ago when SCC beat Hermantown in the section final.[/quot

I am suprised also, but I do believe they had more quality wins and wins by a greater goal differential. That is the only reason I think they could have went that way. It was unfortunate for SCC to have Poganski gone for 2 losses, but those cant be overlooked because every other team has injuries, sickness etc.
SCC does not have to schedule any Section games if they choose not to. Hermantown usually schedules the top 2-3 teams from section 5 every year and have to play Proctor because of the Conference affiliation. You definitely dont have to schedule the lower tier teams.
The site for Section 5 the last couple years has alternated North and South between the Heritage Center in Duluth and Champlain down South. This year is it will be at the "Neutral" site in Champlain.[/quote]

Mora is a section and conference opponent just like Proctor is for Hermantown so the only bad team they scheduled was Proctor who is also in their section
HockeyBum

Post by HockeyBum »

Don't get me wrong last change has an impact but the depth of the HS teams usually don't go as deep as the NHL, Juniors or D1 teams. Also the fact Hermantown will travel 2 1/2 hours on a bus makes a difference, (IMO) just as much, so I was saying, it should equal the two advantages out.

It really comes down to who comes out and plays the best game. Who ever brings their A game will end up winning regardless of the closer to home or last change adtange teams could gain.

Also I agree Heritage Center is not a place for a section final. Especially when you have the Old DECC or the Amsoil that the game could have been played in.