7A/7AA Finals

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

mnmouth

7A/7AA Finals

Post by mnmouth »

Why aren't the finals of 7A and 7AA played on the same day - Saturday before State tourney? Seems that playing them in the middle of the week on different days limits the number of fans who would attend. Watching the 7A final on TV reveals thousands of empty seats.
gitter

Post by gitter »

Last day to hold section tournaments is Friday, March 1 per the MSHSL. They could I suppose hold a double header Friday night at 6pm and 9pm similar to Section 2AA/6AA at Mariucci and 4AA/5AA at the Cow Palace.
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

gitter wrote:Last day to hold section tournaments is Friday, March 1 per the MSHSL. They could I suppose hold a double header Friday night at 6pm and 9pm similar to Section 2AA/6AA at Mariucci and 4AA/5AA at the Cow Palace.
Did the high school league institute that policy this year? I seem to remember in years past plenty of finals action on Saturday. Though a Friday night doubleheader would also work better than the present plan. Seems that thousands in potential revenue is being overlooked.
gitter

Post by gitter »

It has been the case for the last few years. Back in the day there were many section finals on Saturday prior to State Tournament week. Perhaps it has to do with seeding the tournament now (even though they do this on Sunday morning).
PuckRanger

Re: 7A/7AA Finals

Post by PuckRanger »

mnmouth wrote:Why aren't the finals of 7A and 7AA played on the same day - Saturday before State tourney? Seems that playing them in the middle of the week on different days limits the number of fans who would attend. Watching the 7A final on TV reveals thousands of empty seats.
The short answer is that they sell more tickets by splitting the games up.

The 7A game generally sells around 4,000 seats. Maybe a little more if its a Virginia/Hibbing matchup and far less if Duluth Marshall plays. The 7AA final usually gets over 6,000. So if you combine them into one session, you can only get the capacity of 6,600, in which case they would lose out on around 3,400 ticket sales.

I don't think its logistically possible to clear out the arena and re-seat everyone on a weeknight without either playing before people get of work or playing late into the night. Especially with the on ice celebrations, medal ceremonies, interviews and all that after each game. So having two separate back-to-back sessions wouldn't work that well either.