Esse evaluation story

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

D3Referee

Post by D3Referee »

I'm saying it SHOULDNT be.

We are already shortening the bench at squirts ... so what's the difference?

What I am saying should NEVER be compromised, is a parents ability to go to bat for their minor child.

We should be very nervous of those suggesting that parents shouldn't be allowed to advocate for their minor aged children. Especially in this era of coach-over-reach and abuse of power.

As we've seen, coaches don't always have the best interest of their players in mind. Often times they are looking out for themselves, their jobs and their future teams
inthestands

Post by inthestands »

D3Referee wrote:
inthestands wrote:You would need a serious agenda,

You mean like getting rid of a coach you don't agree with?
Like all jobs in life, Coaches are replaced all the time. I would think the ones who everyone agrees with have an easier time holding down their jobs than those who most don't agree with
Are we talking about high school now, or youth?

Are we talking about parents agreeing with coaching philosiphy?

There's a significant difference between a 12 year old and a 17 year old handling a coaching conflict.

And coaching doesn't come close to resembling "jobs in life."
D3Referee

Post by D3Referee »

inthestands wrote: Are we talking about parents agreeing with coaching philosiphy?
"coaching philosophy" :lol: That's a good one. More establishment rhetoric. Drank the Kool-Aid, did you?

I suppose it's your "coaching philosophy" to play these 6 guys for 40 minutes because you're not a good enough coach to involve the other 13 guys for more than a couple of shifts.

Yup, welcome to Minnesota

Land o' 10,000 Lakes and 51 minute hockey games :roll:
inthestands

Post by inthestands »

D3Referee wrote:
inthestands wrote: Are we talking about parents agreeing with coaching philosiphy?
"coaching philosophy" :lol: That's a good one. More establishment rhetoric. Drank the Kool-Aid, did you?
No kool aid for me.

Establishment rhetoric? You feel the way a coach thinks and prepares is rhetoric?

Interesting there's no comment on the other points.. Guess that's just more rhetoric..
D3Referee

Post by D3Referee »

inthestands wrote:And coaching doesn't come close to resembling "jobs in life."
I get it. You think you're special. Well, you're not :wink:
Bleed Maroon and Gold

Post by Bleed Maroon and Gold »

[[quote]quote="D3Referee"]I'm saying it SHOULDNT be.

We are already shortening the bench at squirts ... so what's the difference?

What I am saying should NEVER be compromised, is a parents ability to go to bat for their minor child.

We should be very nervous of those suggesting that parents shouldn't be allowed to advocate for their minor aged children. Especially in this era of coach-over-reach and abuse of power.

As we've seen, coaches don't always have the best interest of their players in mind. Often times they are looking out for themselves, their jobs and their future teams[/quote][/quote]
Lets not compare High School hockey to youth hockey. That is totally different.

Are we asking every coach in High School to coddle and baby each player to keep his job? Or what exactly is the high school coaches job?

Is the coach developing the players?
Is he treating them fairly?

The High School I played at and the one my kids will probably play at is if the coach isn't having a successful season he will be replaced. Hence the reason we have had 3 coaches in 8 years.

However if the coach is abusing the players then yes he should be replaced. If he is playing his top two lines more than he is playing his bottom two lines he should not be replaced. LIFE IS NOT FAIR. The sooner Kids learn that the better.
Last edited by Bleed Maroon and Gold on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D3Referee

Post by D3Referee »

inthestands wrote:You feel the way a coach thinks and prepares is rhetoric?
I believe you have all the talking points down, but little substance to your RHETORIC
D3Referee

Post by D3Referee »

Bleed Maroon and Gold wrote:However if the coach is abusing the players then yes he should be replaced.
Exactly. Abuse takes many forms. Parents should use good judgement when assessing the situation, but by all means, proceed if you feel your children are being mis-treated.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

If a parent does not like the way a guy coaches go and complain....

right, that's the way things shoudl be done.

If the coach is not following the school's guidelines as given to him then evaluate him at the end of the year and make a change.

But if a coach is told to play everyone as equal as possible, who is that fair to. Math teacher, give everyone an A, even if they do not turn their work in, even if they are not A material...

The HS coach is hired to make difficult decisions. Let him make them.
If you don't agree either sit down and shut up or put your application in for next year.

If bantam B and squirt B hockey coaches are playing a short bench then teh local association needs to determine if their policy was properly presented. If not, have a closed meeting and discuss it with him.

But this is not youth hockey.

And at some point in life you have a short bench.
If the coach did not explain it at the beginning of the year, shame on him, but if he did and NOW the parent does not like it and raises hell, well shame on the parent.

When that same parent thinks teh ref blew the offside call and jumps up on the glass to let the ref know about it, that is okay, too.
inthestands

Post by inthestands »

D3Referee wrote:
inthestands wrote:And coaching doesn't come close to resembling "jobs in life."
I get it. You think you're special. Well, you're not :wink:
How do you know?

You can tell from my message board questions, that you're offended by and feel have no substance?

Hopefully you use better judgement while working games in D3.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

When players are in high school and beyond, they must EARN their position on the team and ice time.

Mommy and Daddy cannot defend their every whim because they'll become dependent on their parents in the future. Its time to take the training wheels OFF.

No more of this ENTITLEMENT B.S.

And in addition, youth hockey is WAYY different compared to high school. In youth hockey, coaches are dealing with children, and in high school, coaches are dealing with young adults who are starting to mature. Two different types of players and coaching philosophies.

8)
The Puck
LGW
D3Referee

Post by D3Referee »

elliott70 wrote:If a parent does not like the way a guy coaches ...
Then DO SOMETHING about it. Either that, or be a sheep and get back in the herd. I choose the former and defend the right of others to do the same.
inthestands

Post by inthestands »

Either that, or be a sheep and get back in the herd

Rhetoric?
clojacks1

Post by clojacks1 »

elliott70 wrote:If it has anything to do with playing time of anyone, position of anyone or anything on ice
then this is PLEASE BAN ME.

Coaches coach, school board sit in your office and don't worry about the game....
that's what summers are for.

Evaluate him.

If you are the parent and this has to do with 'hockey' you should be taken out back and shot....
or something reasonably related to it.
What an absolutely irresponsible blindfolded response. Elliott, you may know every coach that ever skated up North, but you don't "know" every coach! There is more historically here than Mr. Esse's record as the leader of the north's favorite lunch pail team. What meets the camera and the public's eye, isn't necessarily what goes on, on the ice. Playing time disagreement?? Complaint DID NOT get filed by a goalies parent as alleged by one poster.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Parents don't need to talk to highschool coaches. Let the kids handle it themselves.
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

PuckU126 wrote:When players are in high school and beyond, they must EARN their position on the team and ice time.
If they are on the team, I am guessing that they have already EARNED their position. Ice time is a different matter, but if the player is on the team, they should at least expect to have a role, and to have had that role explained to them. Yes, there are times to shorten the bench, but that doesn't necessarily equate to consistently running the same group out every time. I would guess many teams find themselves in games where shortening the bench may include limiting the ice time of their top 5 players.

I agree HS hockey does not equate to youth hockey, but its not quite the same as juniors or college, either. 8)
observer

Post by observer »

Parents don't need to talk to highschool coaches. Let the kids handle it themselves.
For the most part, I agree. Several here will not.

I know nothing of this specific story but I'll suggest we're seeing more of this kind of stuff. I believe it's the fact that HS sports is so different than youth sports. Parents now a day are so used to big time involvement from their children's youth sports experience. When their player reaches HS the idea that they have nothing to say about anything makes them very uncomfortable. The coaches are also uncomfortable because they know that parents today are used to being heavily involved which was never the case years ago. Coaches were previously so much more insulated. I believe this is youth sports culture creeping into the HS experience. It is interesting because you go from talking to a coach several times weekly to not speaking with them at all. That's a big change that some parents have a hard time with.

The other old mantra is, Parents parent and coaches coach. That seems to be a changing.
allstatebenders

Post by allstatebenders »

Dumbest thread I've seen in a while. The freshmen leaving drama, the Farmington drama, and now this? Lets get back to talking about real hockey. What's done is done. Move on.
cooper26

Post by cooper26 »

inthestands wrote:From what I have heard, the player involved was probably one of the top 4 or 5 in ice time on the team. So, we'll see what the school board says after the evaluation.

The underlined portion should disqualify comment..

The coaches are designated with the responsiblity of rating each player, position, where they fit or don't fit, and how much ice time they see.

Quite a selfish dispay of timing by the parents complaint.
If the "underlined portion" disqualified comment this board would not exist.
D3Referee

Post by D3Referee »

Smetimes parental involvement is requirement. Not just in hockey, but in other aspects of the life of a teenager. Sometimes, that's part of parenting
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

So is letting go.
D3Referee

Post by D3Referee »

old goalie85 wrote:So is letting go.
Yes, that happens soon enough on its own. It certainly won't be dictated by a hockey coach
cooper26

Post by cooper26 »

allstatebenders wrote:Dumbest thread I've seen in a while. The freshmen leaving drama, the Farmington drama, and now this? Lets get back to talking about real hockey. What's done is done. Move on.
I agree - but I have to add that most of what D3Ref wrote here is accurate. All you guys are yelling about how parents should have nothing to say about anything - the poor coach attitude, and no one has any CLUE what behavior they are even looking at!

Yes, when at all possible let the kid deal with the coach. If the coach is responsive, fair, respectful, etc. that's where it should end. The high school game is played to win. You don't have to like it. You just have to expect it and live with it. The coach may not think your kid is any good.

But none of that takes away a parent's (legal) right to advocate on behalf of their kid. It could be anything! They are not "young adults" as someone here said. They are minor children. If it IS about HS playing time no one should bother talking with the coach. Plenty of "legends" have done it with a line and a half and one goalie. I don't think it's smart or right but it's always been done.

Assoc. hockey? WHOLE different story for another thread.
D3Referee

Post by D3Referee »

cooper26 wrote:
But none of that takes away a parent's (legal) right to advocate on behalf of their kid. It could be anything! They are not "young adults" as someone here said. They are minor children.
Exactly. There was a time (not long ago) that HAZING was thought appropriate. A simple right of passage. What happens in the locker room stays in the locker room.

I hope no one is advocating for the good ol days of hazing?

These days its popular to stereotype parents as the problem, but as we've seen lately, there are many coaches that go to far.

Like it or not, parents are part of the checks and balances that keep things in line.

I have no idea what is happening in this instance, but villainizing parents without inside info, though popular, is unfair and uncalled for.

Parents not only have a right, but are EXPECTED to stand up and speak loud when they feel there child is being mistreated.

I hope it's not the case here, but the parents should receive as much respect as the coach until the facts are known.