7AA Semifinal: #3 Elk River vs. #2 Grand Rapids

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

The winner is...

Elk River
33%
Grand Rapids
67%

Total votes: 36

karl(east)

7AA Semifinal: #3 Elk River vs. #2 Grand Rapids

Post by karl(east) »

Game Two of Semifinal Saturday at Amsoil Arena brings us another quality match-up.

-This is, surprisingly, only the second playoff meeting ever between these two teams. Rapids won the first meeting 3-2 in 2006.
-The two teams have played against each other regularly in the Edina Holiday Classic. Rapids won this year's meeting 4-3 in OT (minus Jake Bischoff). GR leads the regular season series 5-3 since 05-06.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

This looks to be an even matchup. Elk River has beaten all the teams they appear to be equal on paper with. The fact that Rapids has some skilled forwards would give them the thing ER has struggled with, see Blaine and BSM. The earlier game I thought ER was the better team but didn't get the big saves and couldn't finish. They are finishing better against the lower teams but were shutout by the Centennial goalie who is one of the states best. Rapids has hit their stride and with Bischoff they are a better team than the first matchup. Hard to pick, the Edina tourney game was a long time ago. Coaching will be a key in this game and will be interesting to see if ER can step up in a game they have a chance to win. They are a young team and didn't really have a chance against East last season at Amsoil. Should be fun.
TennJed

Post by TennJed »

If coaching has any bearing on outcome of this game then GR is in BIG trouble.
grandindian

Post by grandindian »

TennJed wrote:If coaching has any bearing on outcome of this game then GR is in BIG trouble.
Another basement expert. :roll: Alot of GR folks completely disagree with you on that!
sticksave

Post by sticksave »

The Elk River goalie has had one goal scored on him in the last three games. It looks as though ER is on track to give GR one heck of a game.
allstatebenders

Post by allstatebenders »

ER wins 4-2 with an empty netter.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Gotta pull for Rapids in this one, for no other reason than to hear people like slyer complain about the Elks having to travel 5 billion miles to play a game. :)

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
slyer

Post by slyer »

it's alot further than 1.5 miles east has traveled the last 2 decades, but there is no home ice advantage, how did east do the last time they played er in er
slyer

Post by slyer »

wow east fans fill up over half the arena, i wonder why now go play an away game and see how many show up
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

slyer wrote:wow east fans fill up over half the arena, i wonder why now go play an away game and see how many show up
Ask the players if they would rather play in a nondescript setting, or be part of a special event in a first class arena rivaled only by a trip to Xcel? That's all that matters.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

slyer wrote:wow east fans fill up over half the arena, i wonder why now go play an away game and see how many show up
I know, it's so uncomfortable in our day and age to travel 3 hours. Heated seats, Pandora/Iheartradio, Starbucks. Who can endure that? :roll:
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
slyer

Post by slyer »

i think most players would like to play sections at home, period
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

slyer wrote:i think most players would like to play sections at home, period
I think most players are just happy to advance.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
Bronc

Re: 7AA Semifinal: #3 Elk River vs. #2 Grand Rapids

Post by Bronc »

karl(east) wrote:Game Two of Semifinal Saturday at Amsoil Arena brings us another quality match-up.

-This is, surprisingly, only the second playoff meeting ever between these two teams. Rapids won the first meeting 3-2 in 2006.
-The two teams have played against each other regularly in the Edina Holiday Classic. Rapids won this year's meeting 4-3 in OT (minus Jake Bischoff). GR leads the regular season series 5-3 since 05-06.
I just hope nobody on either side is gone or has the sniffles so we can get all of these * eliminated from the commentary (they lost - this person, they won + that person, they lost when * was there but had a cold, etc).

If you win- you win - Good For You!

If you lose - you lose - No Excuses!
TennJed

Post by TennJed »

This coach can take no credit for success of this team. They've proved themselves long before he got in the mix. The only new idea he had was to insert a family member in line up that has no business being there. Perhaps if I'm a "basement expert" you should pull your head out of your "attic". :lol:
grandindian

Post by grandindian »

Careful....your agenda is showing sweetheart.
TennJed

Post by TennJed »

No agenda here, just pointing out the elephant in the room. (or on the ice in this case)
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

slyer is right. East gets home ice advantage but nobody will admit to it. The rapids talk is too funny to get involved!
gitter

Post by gitter »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:slyer is right. East gets home ice advantage but nobody will admit to it. The rapids talk is too funny to get involved!
Its not as bad as it used to be. They only played one game at Amsoil this year. They used to play every home game at the DECC...they knew every goofy deal with that rink including the pink locker room they'd stuff the visitors into.

But it's about maximizing revenue for the MSHSL (just as it is with the NCAA and sacrificing bracket integrity when seeding the Frozen Four for attendance purposes). There is no other rink close enough that seats 6,000. They could hold it in St. Cloud, but they wouldn't get the half the attendance. So you hold it 3 miles from DE High and 20 miles from CHS and deal with a few people who complain about it - the same that complain about the NCAA bracketology.
Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan »

I don't think there is a realistic alternative to Amsoil in Duluth. If you look at any of the other brackets there is a very heavy prevalence of similar situations. It is pretty much unavoidable if you are going to have geographically based sections, and hold section semis and finals within the section.

The thing that bothers me is when the operations of the arena are clearly biased towards the "home" team. For instance, when I last attended the Section 7AA games at Amsoil in 2011, whenever East scored a goal the arena blew the foghorn. When other teams scored there were no similar displays. I told those with me that if the opposition didn't want to hear the horn they should not have allowed the goal, but the point stands. Amsoil is operated to favor East.

But, the bottomline is to find a way. Bring on Saturday!
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave
rainier

Post by rainier »

If the trip to Duluth to play a team that doesn't even play their home games at the playoff venue is so terrible, then we must move the state tournament away from the X, because by having it in St. Paul it is a home game for any team from the metro.

If ER makes it to state, then any school further from the X than they are is at a huge disadvantage, according to your logic. How about we measure the exact midpoint between East and ER high schools and build a new arena there? Would that satisfy you?
CB00

Post by CB00 »

rainier wrote:
If the trip to Duluth to play a team that doesn't even play their home games at the playoff venue is so terrible, then we must move the state tournament away from the X, because by having it in St. Paul it is a home game for any team from the metro.

If ER makes it to state, then any school further from the X than they are is at a huge disadvantage, according to your logic. How about we measure the exact midpoint between East and ER high schools and build a new arena there? Would that satisfy you?
Yep. Sounds good
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

CB00 wrote:
rainier wrote:

Yep. Sounds good
With ISD #728 funding, of course. :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
dumbpuck

Post by dumbpuck »

I will go with Rapids- They just seem to be confident and I think there orange pride will push them to win
slyer

Post by slyer »

it's been over 2 decades, what other section is like this.