7AA Semifinal: #3 Elk River vs. #2 Grand Rapids

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

The winner is...

Elk River
33%
Grand Rapids
67%

Total votes: 36

slyer

Post by slyer »

have they ever had to play a semi or final outside of duluth? if so when
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

slyer wrote:have they ever had to play a semi or final outside of duluth? if so when
Through the 90's and early 2000's it was at Hibbing at least every other year. I think it's been at Duluth ever since Elk River came in. Hibbing is a cool building, but I'd rather watch from the comfort of the nicest arena in Minnesota outside the Xcel.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

I am thinking GR by 3.

Go Indians!
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

Rapids beat ER in 3-2 overtime at Braemar. An ER player got caught up in the Rapids celebration resulting in the biggest brawl I have ever seen at a high school game. Should be intense. I'll take ER 4-3 in OT.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

grandindian wrote:
TennJed wrote:If coaching has any bearing on outcome of this game then GR is in BIG trouble.
Another basement expert. :roll: Alot of GR folks completely disagree with you on that!
grandindian

Post by grandindian »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
grandindian wrote:
TennJed wrote:If coaching has any bearing on outcome of this game then GR is in BIG trouble.
Another basement expert. :roll: Alot of GR folks completely disagree with you on that!
Gotta admit, thats some funny sh@t right there! But don't quit your day job if you even have one. :D
sticksave

Post by sticksave »

I heard it was more than the ER player getting caught up in the celebration it was that he got cheap shotted twice after the final whistle. ER is on a roll 3-1 final.
joris016

Post by joris016 »

Thunderhawks 4 to 2
Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan »

What I saw from where I was sitting was: the ER kid came sprinting over from behind his net following a Rapids player, charged into the celebration, and threw a punch. Note to self, do not start a fight with a celebrating team until your teammates are right there with you.

I don't see how the ER kid could be responding to two cheap shots, since there was only one GR player back there with him. But, I could have missed it, since my attention was on AP's short-handed game winner.

I figured there would be some fallout, since ER cleared their bench heading over there. It could have been much worse, but the refs from that game as well as those for the upcoming Edina v EP game did a good job breaking it up.

I have figured since December that any rematch will be a charged, grudge-match. I am expecting some pretty hard hitting and occasional chippiness.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave
orm1210

Post by orm1210 »

Immigrant Fan...you are almost right. I had a perfect view of it. ER player that was chasing down the GR player went down trying to make a play. When he was trying to get up, there was incidental contact from a GR player on his way to celebrate. When the ER player tried to get up a second time, he and another player sort of collided, neither really trying to take each other out but neither trying to avoid it, and ER player fell again. This lead to him and his teammate charging the celebration, leading to all out attack from GR, leading to cleared bench of ER charging the corner to join in the activities. Agreed that refs did a great job of controlling something that could have been more ugly.

With regards to the game...should be a good one. Thinking another overtime game. Could go either way, but i am going to take ER.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

For two periods, this was a pretty dull game. In the 3rd, Rapids had a ton of pressure but failed to score, and it looked like ER would steal this one when they got a late goal in transition. But then Avery Peterson decided otherwise. Both teams had their chances in overtime, but Jake Bischoff and Peterson have a presence out there that ER could not match.

ER will be back--only 3 seniors. Maclean Berglove had a fantastic game in net for them, but it looks like we're in for an all-northern final.
allstatebenders

Post by allstatebenders »

GR barely squeezed through this one with getting a goal with 9 seconds left, they should all be feeling pretty lucky right about now. Feel bad for the ER tender he played one hell of a game. GR has a tough one coming up this Thursday night.
joris016

Post by joris016 »

Thursday night will be a tough game for Rapids but it will also be a tough game for the Hounds. Should be a great game!! Great atmosphere, great fans on both sides, great defense and goalies. This game is looking like a toss up.
MTStringer

Post by MTStringer »

allstatebenders wrote:GR barely squeezed through this one with getting a goal with 9 seconds left, they should all be feeling pretty lucky right about now. Feel bad for the ER tender he played one hell of a game. GR has a tough one coming up this Thursday night.
First off...great game by both teams laying it all out there.

If GR won the state Championship by one goal (I'm not saying that they will even win the next game) would you still say the same thing, "GR barely squeezed through..."?

Bottom line..GR made the plays that counted when it mattered...period. Doesn't matter if they won by one goal or seven, it counts the same.

The next game will be great to watch. Hope both teams are full strength and play at the top of their games.
TennJed

Post by TennJed »

Agree. Great effort by both teams. ER goalie played phenomonal !! Avery Peterson great game, and a great kid. Wish him the best!!
Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan »

Very exciting game.

Hard to see rational reasons to predict an East loss on Thursday, but Rapids seems to have some intangibles working right now...ok, intangibles even beyond the tangible of AP-on-ice.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Pretty even through 2 periods, kinda mucky, but in the 3rd Rapids was dominant. Way more shots on goal and good scoring chances. I couldn't believe how many close calls where the puck didn't go in. The tender for ER was having a wail of a game. They almost stole a win, then Avery thought otherwise. Should be a good game Thurs with plenty of fans and active student sections. If Rapids is disciplined and stays out of the box they definitely have a shot, East couldn't score a goal against Cloquet without the man advantage.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
allstatebenders

MTStringer wrote:
allstatebenders wrote:GR barely squeezed through this one with getting a goal with 9 seconds left, they should all be feeling pretty lucky right about now. Feel bad for the ER tender he played one hell of a game. GR has a tough one coming up this Thursday night.
First off...great game by both teams laying it all out there.

If GR won the state Championship by one goal (I'm not saying that they will even win the next game) would you still say the same thing, "GR barely squeezed through..."?

Bottom line..GR made the plays that counted when it mattered...period. Doesn't matter if they won by one goal or seven, it counts the same.

The next game will be great to watch. Hope both teams are full strength and play at the top of their games.
I would say ER missing an EN in the 1st, then missing the shot twice when GR pulled their goalie, Scoring with 9 seconds left, ER getting a breakaway backhand shot that hit cross bar and was inches from going in, yes GR barely slipped throuh.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Sounds to me like ER failed to convert on their chances. Rapids created a lot of shots and flurries in front of the net, hitting pipes. They worked their a**es off and it paid off with the puck going in the net. The better team won.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
allstatebenders

north_bear wrote:Sounds to me like ER failed to convert on their chances. Rapids created a lot of shots and flurries in front of the net, hitting pipes. They worked their a**es off and it paid off with the puck going in the net. The better team won.
I'm definitely happen GR won because they did deserve it, obviously it could've gone either way though.
MTStringer

Post by MTStringer »

allstatebenders wrote:
north_bear wrote:Sounds to me like ER failed to convert on their chances. Rapids created a lot of shots and flurries in front of the net, hitting pipes. They worked their a**es off and it paid off with the puck going in the net. The better team won.
I'm definitely happen GR won because they did deserve it, obviously it could've gone either way though.
I agree fully with this statement. Most games can go either way. However, winning by one goal in the waning seconds, or winning by three goals counts the same, and the winning team makes the most of their chances.

Hopefully, we'll have a good good game by both teams that have the fans on the edge of their seats.