GONE TO JUNIORS

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

observer

Post by observer »

how do they continue highschool education/do they transfer out there ??
Most just run down for the weekend games and are back for school in Minny tomorrow.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

observer wrote:
Most just run down for the weekend games and are back for school in Minny tomorrow.
That is probably the most common. If they stay and practice, they either transfer schools or many just do work online from their high school.
imlisteningtothefnsong

Gone to Juniors

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong »

Here is a link to Jessie Gabriell's first scrap. Looks like he will be just fine in Brandon.

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/GS6C10eFc1s
SnowedIn

Post by SnowedIn »

observer wrote:
:D You are joking right?
Nobody goes up just for games. The CHL is a massive player development program. A ton of professional training on ice, off ice, hockey education & video, strict nutrition program, and yes school every day for the highschoolers. Ontop of that a ton of games against the best competition for this age group in the continent replicating a pro hockey schedule. The hockey maturity gained from the intense level of preparation, physical training and hockey training is why 50% of all NHL draft picks come from the CHL every summer. No one comes in just "for the games".
xy

Post by xy »

I believe he's talking about kids who play for a few games after the end of their high school seasons, like some kids are doing right now; those kids stay in their present high school, and drive down for weekend (and occasionally midweek) games.

You're right that nobody does that for a full season - if you're with a junior team full-time, you move their and practice with the team, but it most definitely is the case that for these short-term gigs in the USHL the players do just come in for games. I believe I read that Alec Baer was doing the same with Vancouver just because he came so late in the season and there were so few games left for his team.
Tuuk2score

Post by Tuuk2score »

Nice to see the young Minnesota boys getting some points in the big show ! (Gersitch 1 Goal 4 games) (C. Munson 1 Goal 2 games) (Wahlin 1 Assist 2 games)(Sheehy 2 goals 5 games) (Pionk 3 games 1 Assist) (Beaulieu 2 games 1 Assist) www.ushl.com
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

SnowedIn wrote:
observer wrote:
Nobody goes up just for games. The CHL is a massive player development program. A ton of professional training on ice, off ice, hockey education & video, strict nutrition program, and yes school every day for the highschoolers. Ontop of that a ton of games against the best competition for this age group in the continent replicating a pro hockey schedule. The hockey maturity gained from the intense level of preparation, physical training and hockey training is why 50% of all NHL draft picks come from the CHL every summer. No one comes in just "for the games".
The CHL is a quality league, no doubt, but with their numbers, I would hope they get a high % of players picked from it.
SnowedIn

Post by SnowedIn »

Mailman wrote:
SnowedIn wrote:
observer wrote: Most just run down for the weekend games and are back for school in Minny tomorrow.
The CHL is a quality league, no doubt, but with their numbers, I would hope they get a high % of players picked from it.
Okay I'll bite. Let's compare numbers to numbers. The three CHL leagues (WHL, OHL, QMJHL) account for 100-115 players drafted in the NHL entry draft each year. That's about half. All other Canadian and US Junior programs account for 25-35 each year. These combined Junior programs have numbers way beyond those in the CHL. So its not the numbers. Player for player, its the best competition a player that age can face and a superior development program. Players that are successful in the CHL are highly sought after because they are facing the toughest competition both in terms of talent and physical maturity. Not saying that is the only place to play. The USHL and the College route is also a great option. NCAA is developing more and more pro level players every year. I am saying those are the reasons why the CHL pumps out more pro level hockey players compared to other programs.
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

SnowedIn wrote:
Mailman wrote:
SnowedIn wrote: :D You are joking right?
Okay I'll bite. Let's compare numbers to numbers. The three CHL leagues (WHL, OHL, QMJHL) account for 100-115 players drafted in the NHL entry draft each year. That's about half. All other Canadian and US Junior programs account for 25-35 each year. These combined Junior programs have numbers way beyond those in the CHL. So its not the numbers. Player for player, its the best competition a player that age can face and a superior development program. Players that are successful in the CHL are highly sought after because they are facing the toughest competition both in terms of talent and physical maturity. Not saying that is the only place to play. The USHL and the College route is also a great option. NCAA is developing more and more pro level players every year. I am saying those are the reasons why the CHL pumps out more pro level hockey players compared to other programs.
Ok, I'll "bite" too; combing a myriad of completely different leagues, from two different countries, into one number isn't the most accurate way of doing things, eh ?
Especially since these countries leagues hardly consider themselves "partners" ala one big league as it were.

For that matter, physical maturity has always been one of the "knocks" against the CHL, as NCAA players entering the NHL are almost always older, aka more physically mature.

But I'm with you; either option is a good one. It's always good to have competition; makes the end product better.
SnowedIn

Post by SnowedIn »

Mailman wrote:
SnowedIn wrote:
Mailman wrote: The CHL is a quality league, no doubt, but with their numbers, I would hope they get a high % of players picked from it.
Ok, I'll "bite" too; combing a myriad of completely different leagues, from two different countries, into one number isn't the most accurate way of doing things, eh ?
Especially since these countries leagues hardly consider themselves "partners" ala one big league as it were.

For that matter, physical maturity has always been one of the "knocks" against the CHL, as NCAA players entering the NHL are almost always older, aka more physically mature.

But I'm with you; either option is a good one. It's always good to have competition; makes the end product better.
Talking about the NHL draft. 18 year olds. Physical maturity of the players at 16,17,18 is greater in the CHL on average than any other program for that same age group. But even if we did compare the 21 year old college player, the average 19 and 20 year olds in the CHL is bigger. To even play in the CHL you have to be a top player and be physically mature or have to develop physically quickly. These guys train very hard to get up to speed in order to stay there.

To cut through the numbers, look at the percentage of players drafted from each league. Anyway you slice the numbers whether its all players drafted from all other leagues as a percentage of all players in those leagues or if you look at that ratio league by league (1 player out of the AJHL in Canada, 1 or 2 out of the BCHL, 0 players from the NAHL or 9 players out of the USHL,...) the ratio of players drafted from the CHL as a percentage of all CHL players vs that same ratio in the other leagues, is far greater. The numbers speak for themselves. Not really debatable.

One other thing to look at is the number of CHL drafts in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd,...rounds. Consistently 15-20+ players, out of 30, in each of the top rounds.
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

SnowedIn wrote:
Mailman wrote:
SnowedIn wrote: Okay I'll bite. Let's compare numbers to numbers. The three CHL leagues (WHL, OHL, QMJHL) account for 100-115 players drafted in the NHL entry draft each year. That's about half. All other Canadian and US Junior programs account for 25-35 each year. These combined Junior programs have numbers way beyond those in the CHL. So its not the numbers. Player for player, its the best competition a player that age can face and a superior development program. Players that are successful in the CHL are highly sought after because they are facing the toughest competition both in terms of talent and physical maturity. Not saying that is the only place to play. The USHL and the College route is also a great option. NCAA is developing more and more pro level players every year. I am saying those are the reasons why the CHL pumps out more pro level hockey players compared to other programs.

Talking about the NHL draft. 18 year olds. Physical maturity of the players at 16,17,18 is greater in the CHL on average than any other program for that same age group. But even if we did compare the 21 year old college player, the average 19 and 20 year olds in the CHL is bigger. To even play in the CHL you have to be a top player and be physically mature or have to develop physically quickly. These guys train very hard to get up to speed in order to stay there.

To cut through the numbers, look at the percentage of players drafted from each league. Anyway you slice the numbers whether its all players drafted from all other leagues as a percentage of all players in those leagues or if you look at that ratio league by league (1 player out of the AJHL in Canada, 1 or 2 out of the BCHL, 0 players from the NAHL or 9 players out of the USHL,...) the ratio of players drafted from the CHL as a percentage of all CHL players vs that same ratio in the other leagues, is far greater. The numbers speak for themselves. Not really debatable.

One other thing to look at is the number of CHL drafts in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd,...rounds. Consistently 15-20+ players, out of 30, in each of the top rounds.

Well, I wasn't doubting that the CHL provides more NHL players than the other leagues.

Anyway, like I said, it's a great league, thanks for the info.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Canada produces the most NHL'ers, the CHL is the cornerstone of Hockey Canada's development model. Whether or not you believe in their system or not the results are obvious. Is the CHL the best way to "develop" players for the NHL? Entirely possible but when you start with the cream of the crop from the most fertile hockey player producing country in the world anything less would be a disaster.
WarmUpTheBus

Re: Gone to Juniors

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:Here is a link to Jessie Gabriell's first scrap. Looks like he will be just fine in Brandon.

Two words.
Good riddance!
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Full disclosure: I'm a college hockey fan. That being said, here's my general thoughts on CHL vs. USHL/NCAA

- The CHL is a hockey development path with an educational development fringe benefit.
- The NCAA is an educational development path with a hockey development fringe benefit.

Case in point: Drew LeBlanc of St. Cloud State will have a teaching degree and (presumably with little effort) could have his teaching license and a teaching gig starting next year (he's a math teacher, which is a position in high demand). However, he'll most likely be signing an NHL contract instead.

If Drew had chosen to play in the CHL he could already be in the NHL/AHL, but he wouldn't also be a math teacher. There are plenty of CHL players utilizing their scholarships right now and may very well end up becoming teachers, but they won't also be AHL/NHL players.

So, assuming you're good enough to play in the CHL or the NCAA, your skill level as a hockey player really has nothing to do with the choice. The choice is based on your personal goals, nothing more. CHL will provide an education package OR a fast route to pro hockey. NCAA will provide you an education AND a slower route to pro hockey.

The reason the CHL produces so many NHL players is that, obviously, they've chosen to make playing pro hockey their priority.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:Here is a link to Jessie Gabriell's first scrap. Looks like he will be just fine in Brandon.

Two words.
Good riddance!
I'm sure his father is very proud.
preferhockey

Post by preferhockey »

Pretty sad that need to fight in hockey at age 15. The sport needs to get a clue.
imlisteningtothefnsong

Gone to Juniors

"Good riddance" "I'm sure his father is proud". "Pretty sad that they fight...."

Glad to see the hockey moms on the board!! :shock:

Yes, shame on Jessie for being a boy handling himself by the rules of the "man" league he is playing in. Don't worry Jessie there are way more in your corner than not!! I am proud of you!! 8) 8)
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:"Good riddance" "I'm sure his father is proud". "Pretty sad that they fight...."

Yes, shame on Jessie for being a boy handling himself by the rules of the "man" league he is playing in. Don't worry Jessie there are way more in your corner than not!! I am proud of you!! 8) 8)
Pretty childish behavior for a "man" league.
barry_mcconnell

Post by barry_mcconnell »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:"Good riddance" "I'm sure his father is proud". "Pretty sad that they fight...."

I hope all his credits transferred over.
imlisteningtothefnsong

Gone to Juniors

Don't just warm the bus up, hop in and drive it to the land of neck guards, hand rails and nerf pucks. He is in a hockey league, with lumps, bumps, bruises and scoreboards. He knows that if things get rough, a teammate will have his back and he theirs. This is not senseless stick swinging and there is a code of ethics that goes with the tilts. I won't keep going back and forth on this, it is as bad as listening to MSNBC. ](*,)
RonBurgandy

Post by RonBurgandy »

barry_mcconnell wrote:
WarmUpTheBus wrote:

I hope all his credits transferred over.
Good luck to this young man and his family.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:Don't just warm the bus up, hop in and drive it to the land of neck guards, hand rails and nerf pucks. He is in a hockey league, with lumps, bumps, bruises and scoreboards. He knows that if things get rough, a teammate will have his back and he theirs. This is not senseless stick swinging and there is a code of ethics that goes with the tilts. I won't keep going back and forth on this, it is as bad as listening to MSNBC. ](*,)
I'd rather watch hockey moms fight than these two.
Where did the other kid learn the behind the head cobra stance? Karate kid?
imlisteningtothefnsong

Gone to Juniors

That's awesome!! I had to go look again before I saw the cobra arm swing!! I would imagine the boys will give him enough $/it that he would retire that move. You can't do that and get a good feeding by a 15 yr old rookie!!
D3Referee

Post by D3Referee »

imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:Don't just warm the bus up, hop in and drive it to the land of neck guards, hand rails and nerf pucks. He is in a hockey league, with lumps, bumps, bruises and scoreboards. He knows that if things get rough, a teammate will have his back and he theirs. This is not senseless stick swinging and there is a code of ethics that goes with the tilts. I won't keep going back and forth on this, it is as bad as listening to MSNBC. ](*,)
Ditto. I love this kid. What does he do after winning the Class AA scoring title in his age class? He pops up to Major Junior, picks out the opponents most experienced fighter and proceeds to clean his clock. 15 years old? Amazing! Keep it up kid! God luck up there
"See ya in another life brother"
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

D3Referee wrote:
Ditto. I love this kid. What does he do after winning the Class AA scoring title in his age class? He pops up to Major Junior, picks out the opponents most experienced fighter and proceeds to clean his clock. 15 years old? Amazing! Keep it up kid! God luck up there
If that other kid was an "experienced" fighter, with his wacko opening move, I hate to see an inexperienced one.

First thing I thought when I saw him do that was, "First time, eh son ?"

When someone is busy doing that dog and pony show, that's when you pop 'em one in this kisser :P