Classy

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

MHGr8ness wrote:
BobSaget wrote:Aside from MHGr8ness' obvious hatred for Cathedral...I've got my biased 2cents to toss into the hat...

1. This Cathedral team was just subject to a lower seed in the section as a result of not beating teams badly enough in the regular season. If they had beaten Mora 17-1 instead of 11-4 and Sauk Rapids 10-0 instead of 6-0 in the regular season they would have gotten a #1 seed (according to other coaches in the section, FACT).

2. Poganski's goal in the third period was a SHORT-HANDED goal 30 seconds into the third period...the third and fourth line played the last 15 minutes of the period.

3. Nine different players scored goals, including two first career goals.

I understand MHGr8ness has a pure hatred for Cathedral, read his past posts. But at least have arguments grounded in fact if you're going to put a historically very classy coach on blast on a message board.

I didn't hear any complaints when Mora beat Moose Lake 13-0 earlier this year...don't see any relevance now.
Are you really using Moose Lake as an example? Ha EVERYONE blew out Moose Lake this year. Cathedral scored more goals in this game than Moose Lake did all year. 17>16. Also in that game Mora's top scorer only had 6 points (half of the Cathedral allstar). Not like they have a 3rd or 4th line to play more anyway.
That post lacked relevance in every way.
MHGr8ness

Post by MHGr8ness »

BobSaget wrote:Aside from MHGr8ness' obvious hatred for Cathedral...I've got my biased 2cents to toss into the hat...

1. This Cathedral team was just subject to a lower seed in the section as a result of not beating teams badly enough in the regular season. If they had beaten Mora 17-1 instead of 11-4 and Sauk Rapids 10-0 instead of 6-0 in the regular season they would have gotten a #1 seed (according to other coaches in the section, FACT).

2. Poganski's goal in the third period was a SHORT-HANDED goal 30 seconds into the third period...the third and fourth line played the last 15 minutes of the period.

3. Nine different players scored goals, including two first career goals.

I understand MHGr8ness has a pure hatred for Cathedral, read his past posts. But at least have arguments grounded in fact if you're going to put a historically very classy coach on blast on a message board.

I didn't hear any complaints when Mora beat Moose Lake 13-0 earlier this year...don't see any relevance now.
What coaches have you talked to that would back this up?
MHGr8ness

Post by MHGr8ness »

MrBoDangles wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
You must feel backed up in a corner since you're getting so spastic.

I would have had my 3rd and 4th line play after the game was in hand... Probably the first or second goal in the 2nd. Instead, the coach had them go on the war path. Letting the kid rack up the 12 points was the real slap to the face.

We wouldn't be having this conversation if the coach had used some class.
Nah, I'm cool.

So, in special teams situations, you would just have the 3rd & 4th liners just wing it? I'm not suggesting that you only have your top 2 PP & PK by any means. But shutting them down in the 2nd just because the outcome is more or less decided doesn't do your team any good.

I guess we just have different time periods when you can go into shutdown mode. You say early 2nd if out of hand. I say after 2 periods. You definitely play everyone in the 2nd period, but that also includes your 1st line. Like I said, if I was a coach, I would have been more concerned with putting him out there and he takes a shot in the ankle.

I also disagree; we wouldn't be having this conversation had Mora not given up a short handed goal.
I'm just saying I wouldn't let the game get to be 17-1 with my best player getting 12 points by playing in the 2nd and 3rd periods.
Bingo.
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

EHSHack wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:12 points? Was the coach blind to this?

They've played enough Hockey in their young lives were the coach can have the first and second lines sit for two periods.

Classless coach.
If I am a senior playing the last games of my career I would be absolutely livid if I was benched for two periods because we were "too good" for the other team to handle. Maybe instead of making people pass how about institute a "No Pass" rule? If you are going to score you have to go coast to coast. Would make it harder.
Once you get into running time each line gets one good rush, then the next time you dump and change ... 5 off, 5 on.

This keeps the clock moving, minimizes opportunities for hits / penalties, and keeps the winning team's focus up (tourney time you need the kids to keep their edge) without hammering on the other team.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
hawkhockey

Post by hawkhockey »

We have this same conversation for the first round of sections every year. It's always the same emotional responses of hurting people's feelings. If you can take the physical beating of playing the game you can handle the emotional toll of getting blown out. If it's not fair to the kids that keep getting scored on then is it also not fair to the kids who have to sit or not play at their full potential? I've been in both situations and neither of them are very fun but you deal with it, its hockey, it happens. I had a game late in my senior year where our coach asked our line if we wanted to sit out the third period. We said "hell no we want to play." We're all here to play the game. You want to keep me off the scoresheet? Stop me.
oldschoolpuckster

Post by oldschoolpuckster »

hawkhockey wrote:We have this same conversation for the first round of sections every year. It's always the same emotional responses of hurting people's feelings. If you can take the physical beating of playing the game you can handle the emotional toll of getting blown out. If it's not fair to the kids that keep getting scored on then is it also not fair to the kids who have to sit or not play at their full potential? I've been in both situations and neither of them are very fun but you deal with it, its hockey, it happens. I had a game late in my senior year where our coach asked our line if we wanted to sit out the third period. We said "hell no we want to play." We're all here to play the game. You want to keep me off the scoresheet? Stop me.
Exactly!!

And we wonder why our society is getting soft?!?! Did you all complain when Tyson was knocking out his opponents in :30??? Nope!! You all marveled at his excellence and domination.

Play the game. The score is what the score is. Someone is a winner and someone is a loser. Don't like it...don't play!!
allstatebenders

Post by allstatebenders »

Do you guys remember what sport we are talking about here....? This is hockey. One of the toughest most physically demanding sports. You need balls to get checked hard to the boards every game, put yourself in Front of a flying puck to block a shot, skating to end to end every fifteen seconds.... Come on. You are supposed to try your hardest to win the game. If that means going up 100-0 on a team, I don't care. If you don't like how many goals are going in, STOP THEM FROM GOING IN. When you get blow out by double digits, keep trying, keep playing, and learn from it and MOVE ON. Nothing more to it. That's what real hockey players should do. And PARENTS, you aren't players sorry. You have little right to say anything about it. Another dumb thread for this week. Sheesh.
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

Finally some of us are on the same page/... Its hockey, and I imagine alot of the people whining in here, are from bad teams, were from bad teams, baby their kids into being "soft" or are just plainnot cut out for the sport.. For those kids or parents who dont like what happenens in the game , take either yourself, your kids, or your parents over to the other rink and buy them a pair of figure skates
Vapor

Post by Vapor »

BobSaget wrote:
Vapor wrote:This is a coach letting the "Star" run up his stats. Didn't have the huge numbers during the season, so lets get em now vs. an inferior team. What would the conversation be if this kid was injured late in 2nd or 3rd ? Plain and simple, you do not let this happen. Put em on D if you really need the top line to play. And this idea that they need to "practice" special teams is a joke. Really, against this team ! C'mon .
Another incident where a person knows nothing about what they are speaking on.

It's highly unlikely to get hurt sitting on the bench in the third.

Also, why should this team sit these guys for the whole second period? Should they have called off the dogs up 3-0 after 1?

This will be my last post on this. There are facts and there are what the "haters" want to be facts. People that weren't at the game commenting without even taking the time to pick up the scoresheet and give it a look.
Sorry Mr. Expert. My point on the chance that the player gets injured is that many times when the score gets out of hand, the losing team starts running players and the possibility of injury is high. And no, they shouldn't call off the dogs when it's 3-0, but when it gets to be an 8 goal spread they should let those that don't typically get as much ice time get the majority the rest of the way AND call off the dogs.
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Sooooo, we drive it into kids heads that they must:

-never give up
-sacrifice their bodies to make a play
-have a never say die attitude
-get these kids completely psyched up (coaches are doing it before/during the game, parents are foaming at the mouth in the stands)

And then we're upset that they didn't ratchet it down when the game was in hand. If you teach a dog to fight, don't be surprised when the dog shreds someone. We put a lot of importance into goals scored/winning/championships and that gets into kids heads. So they go out and crush the opponent at all costs because thats what we've driven into their heads their whole lives.

That all said, its the coaches job to manage the game, not the players job. If the coach is rolling 1st and 2nd lines in the third period of a blowout, those players are going to play. And if the talent level is so skewed between the teams (as early section games often are), then the result is going to be a whopper of a one-sided game.

I can't say what the right thing to do is, because I can see both sides. Maybe they need to drop the bottom couple of teams from section play, in each section each year. "If you don't have XYZ winning percentage, you don't get a post season" type of thing?
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

EHSHack wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:12 points? Was the coach blind to this?

They've played enough Hockey in their young lives were the coach can have the first and second lines sit for two periods.

Classless coach.
If I am a senior playing the last games of my career I would be absolutely livid if I was benched for two periods because we were "too good" for the other team to handle. Maybe instead of making people pass how about institute a "No Pass" rule? If you are going to score you have to go coast to coast. Would make it harder.
He got 5 of his 12 after the ten minute mark of the second period.

He ended up with 8 games worth of fist pumps and strutting. "Benched"?

It would not have killed them to miss a little over a period.

I wanted to be done with this....
HawkyFan9

Post by HawkyFan9 »

[b]If you were at the game[/b], you would have realized that Cathedral rotated their 3rd and 4th lines the whole third period. They took the first 30 seconds to run their first power play in a game situation (which is much needed to practice for other section play) and if 1st line and the guy who scored every single shift in the 2nd period and all but two in the third. IF THEY SIT THEIR PLAYERS OUT IN THE LAST TWO PERIODS THEY ONLY HURT THEMSELVES
RRubberbeeskit

Post by RRubberbeeskit »

[quote="oldschoolpuckster"][quote="hawkhockey"]We have this same conversation for the first round of sections every year. It's always the same emotional responses of hurting people's feelings. If you can take the physical beating of playing the game you can handle the emotional toll of getting blown out. If it's not fair to the kids that keep getting scored on then is it also not fair to the kids who have to sit or not play at their full potential? I've been in both situations and neither of them are very fun but you deal with it, its hockey, it happens. I had a game late in my senior year where our coach asked our line if we wanted to sit out the third period. We said "hell no we want to play." We're all here to play the game. You want to keep me off the scoresheet? Stop me.[/quote]

Exactly!!

And we wonder why our society is getting soft?!?! Did you all complain when Tyson was knocking out his opponents in :30??? Nope!! You all marveled at his excellence and domination.

Play the game. The score is w?hat the score is. Someone is a winner and someone is a loser. Don't like it...don't play!![/quote]

During the 2011-2012 reg. season Little Falls destroys Wadena 21-0. Wadena had just lost its hockey arena and high school that summer to a tornado.
One would possibly think have a little mercy on them for what they have gone through in that community. No that was not the case. It was hockey as usual and the Flyers were flying and running on all cylinders. They put a woopin on Wadena and I don't believe a mention was made on here about it.
If anyone were ever going to cry over an asswooping Dec. 2011 may have been the day for it. Time to move on. Theres plenty of great hockey to come.
Best of luck to all!
sticksave

Post by sticksave »

The team I cheer for got their butts handed to them earlier this year.( 8 goal route) My words were..... its the game!!!!!!!!!!!!
My question is how did Minnesota schools let a kid that can score like this go to North Dakota???????????? BIG Mistake. I know this kid well and he is as nice as they come. ITS THE GAME!!!!!! Watched the Machine play keep away from my son's team in the earlier years NOTHING MORE EMBARRASSING. Parents wanted to hang Mcbain! Can't make everyone happy.
inthestands

Post by inthestands »

Can't compare playoff hockey to regular season.

There are no second chances, and your players have to be at their best at all times. Not just during the current game being played.

Everyone understands the pitfalls of scores like this. It's the system at hand, and everyone needs to get through it as they see fit.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

I have no idea if this is true or not, but my guess would be that this poster does know and has knowledge of it. Additionally, I would be curious if knowing this assumed fact now changes anyone's opinion.

Cathedral had one section loss all season (6-1) and the loss was by one goal to a team they also beat. 1 of those 6 wins is over Hermantown, who they ended up being seeded behind. If margin of victory truly is the reason for the seed, I find it hard to fault people in this situation, even if your opinion is that kids on the losing end prefer the other team to give up...
MHGr8ness

Post by MHGr8ness »

HShockeywatcher wrote:

I have no idea if this is true or not, but my guess would be that this poster does know and has knowledge of it. Additionally, I would be curious if knowing this assumed fact now changes anyone's opinion.

Cathedral had one section loss all season (6-1) and the loss was by one goal to a team they also beat. 1 of those 6 wins is over Hermantown, who they ended up being seeded behind. If margin of victory truly is the reason for the seed, I find it hard to fault people in this situation, even if your opinion is that kids on the losing end prefer the other team to give up...
I would love to know what coaches he's talked to. The Cathedral coach? If they're doing this out of spite that's even more pathetic.
HShockeywatcher

MHGr8ness wrote:I would love to know what coaches he's talked to. The Cathedral coach? If they're doing this out of spite that's even more pathetic.
I'm not close enough to the situation, so I don't know who he's talked to, but I doubt it would make sense for him to say. It's like a lot of things said here, you can either believe it or not. Up to you.

Again, I'm not giving an opinion, but there is a difference between "spite" and "what the other coaches in the section meeting just told us they wanted" if it is in fact true.

I would add though, that it sounds like the lower players were playing in the 3rd period. It's hard to tell them to not score.

I would also add that I know some bad teams do enjoy the opportunity to play against the good players. You my be an 8 seed, but generally if you play a sport you can appreciate those who are better at it than you and many like playing against them, especially when they're at their best.
I don't know enough specifics to give an opinion on the situation, just throwing another angle out there.
Hershaw09

Post by Hershaw09 »

MHGr8ness wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:

I would love to know what coaches he's talked to. The Cathedral coach? If they're doing this out of spite that's even more pathetic.
Okay mrgr8ness this isnt really a trash talk thread against cathedral or their coaching (start one if you want)... If you havent noticed the last few posts have been in the same mindset of what you are trashing. Weather you got dominated someday or your kid did whatever, enough, you dont hear the kids complaining about it so just settle 8)
Lebowski

Post by Lebowski »

I was at the game. Most of what all of you are saying is nonsense. The player you are all dogging played the first 15 seconds of the third period. After that it was 3...4...3...4. Yes, he had 12 points in two periods and 15 seconds. The refs did a great job of "slowing" the game down in the third period when it became running time (example, kicking a kid out of the face off dot for no real reason). Both teams had plenty of icing and line changes in the third period. Anybody ask the Mora coaches how they're doing? I'm guessing they aren't posting negative comments here about the game. Anyone who coaches long enough ends up on both ends of this kind of game (as did the Mora coaches this year). It happens. Want to end it? Convince the MSHSL to go to running time in the 2nd period in a 6 goal deficit.
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

Lebowski wrote:I was at the game. Most of what all of you are saying is nonsense. The player you are all dogging played the first 15 seconds of the third period. After that it was 3...4...3...4. Yes, he had 12 points in two periods and 15 seconds. The refs did a great job of "slowing" the game down in the third period when it became running time (example, kicking a kid out of the face off dot for no real reason). Both teams had plenty of icing and line changes in the third period. Anybody ask the Mora coaches how they're doing? I'm guessing they aren't posting negative comments here about the game. Anyone who coaches long enough ends up on both ends of this kind of game (as did the Mora coaches this year). It happens. Want to end it? Convince the MSHSL to go to running time in the 2nd period in a 6 goal deficit.
You'll find a lot of that here.

Thanks for the post.
HawkyFan9

Post by HawkyFan9 »

Love the quote: It's not the winning teams job to keep the game close!

It's a sport if you don't like getting you ass kicked then win. Sports don't need to have sympathy involved.
MHGr8ness

Post by MHGr8ness »

HawkyFan9 wrote:Love the quote: It's not the winning teams job to keep the game close!

It's a sport if you don't like getting you ass kicked then win. Sports don't need to have sympathy involved.
You're right! Oh man if only someone had told them to win before the game. That would have changed things! Not asking for sympathy, just some class.
MHGr8ness

Post by MHGr8ness »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
MHGr8ness wrote:I would love to know what coaches he's talked to. The Cathedral coach? If they're doing this out of spite that's even more pathetic.
I'm not close enough to the situation, so I don't know who he's talked to, but I doubt it would make sense for him to say. It's like a lot of things said here, you can either believe it or not. Up to you.

Again, I'm not giving an opinion, but there is a difference between "spite" and "what the other coaches in the section meeting just told us they wanted" if it is in fact true.

I would add though, that it sounds like the lower players were playing in the 3rd period. It's hard to tell them to not score.

I would also add that I know some bad teams do enjoy the opportunity to play against the good players. You my be an 8 seed, but generally if you play a sport you can appreciate those who are better at it than you and many like playing against them, especially when they're at their best.
I don't know enough specifics to give an opinion on the situation, just throwing another angle out there.

Yes there is a difference between "doing what the other coaches wanted" ( still have no evidence that ANY coaches said that) and spite. If they do it next season it's giving them what they wanted. Doing it in playoffs changes nothing. To me that's spite.
HShockeywatcher

RRubberbeeskit wrote:
During the 2011-2012 reg. season Little Falls destroys Wadena 21-0. Wadena had just lost its hockey arena and high school that summer to a tornado.
One would possibly think have a little mercy on them for what they have gone through in that community. No that was not the case. It was hockey as usual and the Flyers were flying and running on all cylinders. They put a woopin on Wadena and I don't believe a mention was made on here about it.
If anyone were ever going to cry over an asswooping Dec. 2011 may have been the day for it. Time to move on. Theres plenty of great hockey to come.
Best of luck to all!
The same night as the Cathedral game:
Denfeld beats Greenway 11-0
Hermantown beats Proctor 10-0
Luverne beats Worthington 12-1
New Ulm beats Redwood Valley 10-0
Warroad beats Park Rapids 11-0

In 4 of these 6 games, the winning team didn't even let the losing team score. Scoring for the 6 games combined was 17-40-14. Let's play "one of these is different than the rest" and I'll give you one guess as to which is different ](*,)

There's even one team who scored more in the 3rd than any other period and it wasn't the team being mentioned...
MHGr8ness wrote:
HawkyFan9 wrote:Love the quote: It's not the winning teams job to keep the game close!

You're right! Oh man if only someone had told them to win before the game. That would have changed things! Not asking for sympathy, just some class.
No one is saying that Mora could have willed themselves to win, but you can change up your game plan to adjust to the other team you're playing. I have seen situations, in many sports, where a bad team is going to play a good team so they focus on defense instead of their "normal gameplan" and instead of getting blown out, the game is low scoring on both ends.

I'm not going to say your opinion is wrong, but I don't like that all responsibility is taken off the shoulders of the losing coach. Both teams have to play this game, both teams should adjust.