Classy

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MHGr8ness

Classy

Post by MHGr8ness »

Cathedral wins 17-1. Had a kid with 12 points in the game, including a goal in the 3rd to make it 15-0. Why is he still playing at that point? Call off the dogs already. I hope Hermantown beats them, although I'm hoping Princeton doesn't even let Hermantown get the chance.
GordonBombay99

Re: Classy

Post by GordonBombay99 »

MHGr8ness wrote:Cathedral wins 17-1. Had a kid with 12 points in the game, including a goal in the 3rd to make it 15-0. Why is he still playing at that point? Call off the dogs already. I hope Hermantown beats them, although I'm hoping Princeton doesn't even let Hermantown get the chance.
This same thing happens every year, its going to happen every year, its part of the game you just dont stop shooting. I would rather give up goals instead of being passed around and skated around.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

GordonBombay99 wrote:
MHGr8ness wrote:Cathedral wins 17-1. Had a kid with 12 points in the game, including a goal in the 3rd to make it 15-0. Why is he still playing at that point? Call off the dogs already. I hope Hermantown beats them, although I'm hoping Princeton doesn't even let Hermantown get the chance.
This same thing happens every year, its going to happen every year, its part of the game you just dont stop shooting. I would rather give up goals instead of being passed around and skated around.
These discussions arise every year as was pointed out. The vast majority of people actually on the losing end are more humiliated by people who stop trying.

It sucks that we're in a system where these games have to happen, but while they do, let the kids play.
gac85

Post by gac85 »

MHGr8ness - So what are they supposed to do? Funny, I didn't see a similar post after Duluth East's 15-0 win over STMA.
slyer

Post by slyer »

would you expect anything else from duluth east, there right next in line classy
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

slyer wrote:would you expect anything else from duluth east, there right next in line classy
You even watch the game?.. east was rolling 4 lines all night especially in the 3rd and as a former player and goalie, I would rather get scored on then have the team make a mockery of us by passing plays... thats just humiliating... blowouts in playoffs will happen and is more acceptable than in regular season for the fact you want momentum and your not trying to dumb yourself down to play a lesser team to go into the semis and not have confidence
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

12 points? Was the coach blind to this?

They've played enough Hockey in their young lives were the coach can have the first and second lines sit for two periods.

Classless coach.
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

MrBoDangles wrote:12 points? Was the coach blind to this?

They've played enough Hockey in their young lives were the coach can have the first and second lines sit for two periods.

Classless coach.
Agreed, I don't think most of you are getting the point.
Just keep the 1st & 2nd lines off.
No passing around.
The 3rd & 4th lines can shoot all they want.

Anyway, each coach to his own, I guess.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

How about these 2 classy wins; they were not even section games not that matters:

Feb 9: STA over 4A-Simley 13-1
Feb 12: STA over 2A-Richfield 16-0

I understand they needed to get over their 4-4 tie with Tartan but...
Imo, classy teams figure out how to keep it to a 10 or under goal differential.
coach39

Post by coach39 »

[quote="TTpuckster"][quote="MrBoDangles"]12 points? Was the coach blind to this?

Classless coach.[/quote]

No passing around.

Anyway, each coach to his own, I guess.[/quote]

If you were at the game, you would know that the 1st line played one shift in the third period. It was mostly the 3rd and 4th lines in the third, with the 2nd mixed in for very short shifts.
IMO, the first line needed to get their work in with a big game approaching Saturday. To sit them for 2 periods is doing a disservice to their own team. At this point in the season, I'd have to be more worried about preparing my team for a playoff run than anything else. If CHS had their first line running all over the place in the third, then I have an issue.
preferhockey

Post by preferhockey »

TTpuckster wrote:

Classless coach.
No passing around.

Agree 100%, it is called respect.
SquirtC'00

Post by SquirtC'00 »

pekyman wrote:How about these 2 classy wins; they were not even section games not that matters:

Feb 9: STA over 4A-Simley 13-1
Feb 12: STA over 2A-Richfield 16-0

I understand they needed to get over their 4-4 tie with Tartan but...
Imo, classy teams figure out how to keep it to a 10 or under goal differential.
Pretty sure sta's top 2 line only scored 4 and five goals in both games respectively and the rest were 3rd or 4th line or D goal plus sta had their back up goalie in for both games. IMO that doesn't really compared to a kid getting 12 points like he's John Mayasich
Hershaw09

Post by Hershaw09 »

like it was said before, being skated around and passed around for 20 minutes would be way worse. the only reason first line was out there in the third was because it was a PP and that can always be practiced (otherwise most of first and second line were on the bench). also note that two kids got their first varsity goals and one got his first point with an assist.
Looks easy from here

Post by Looks easy from here »

Hershaw09 wrote:
like it was said before, being skated around and passed around for 20 minutes would be way worse. the only reason first line was out there in the third was because it was a PP and that can always be practiced (otherwise most of first and second line were on the bench). also note that two kids got their first varsity goals and one got his first point with an assist.
IS THE KID WITH THE 12 POINTS ON THE THIRD OR FORTH LINE?
Hershaw09

Post by Hershaw09 »

Looks easy from here wrote:
Hershaw09 wrote:
IS THE KID WITH THE 12 POINTS ON THE THIRD OR FORTH LINE?
wow with all those caps you must be in quite the mood :lol: haha nope but he didnt touch the ice in the third except for that goal on special teams :36 into the third. i feel bad for Mora yes, but with the talent lacking on their end and the talent (D1 player) on scc it was bound to happen. they scored almost every time they touched the ice. and saying looks easy from here tells me you never played hockey... there is no shut off switch when you are playing bud, sorry.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

coach39 wrote:
TTpuckster wrote:

Classless coach.
No passing around.

If you were at the game, you would know that the 1st line played one shift in the third period. It was mostly the 3rd and 4th lines in the third, with the 2nd mixed in for very short shifts.
IMO, the first line needed to get their work in with a big game approaching Saturday. To sit them for 2 periods is doing a disservice to their own team. At this point in the season, I'd have to be more worried about preparing my team for a playoff run than anything else. If CHS had their first line running all over the place in the third, then I have an issue.
12 points to get prepared for the next game? Talk about rubbing it in! How bout scrimmage their own jv team if they need to get this type of "work" in..?
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

If the coach is playing them for kids to rack up points or get a record, unnessary. If he's playing them for preparation for the next round, the coach thinks it's in his teams best interest.

From the sound of it, it looks like he played only on the PP, which as said above, it's good to work on despite the score. Game experience & atmosphere is hard to duplicate in practice.
netminder.net

Post by netminder.net »

Benilde scored a goal at the 15:53 mark of the third to go up 9-0 on Armstrong, stat line reads like this;

15:53
Goal - T.J. Moore (#23). Assists: Dan Labosky (#27), Grant Besse (#12)

Is this bothersome as well?
BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

Aside from MHGr8ness' obvious hatred for Cathedral...I've got my biased 2cents to toss into the hat...

1. This Cathedral team was just subject to a lower seed in the section as a result of not beating teams badly enough in the regular season. If they had beaten Mora 17-1 instead of 11-4 and Sauk Rapids 10-0 instead of 6-0 in the regular season they would have gotten a #1 seed (according to other coaches in the section, FACT).

2. Poganski's goal in the third period was a SHORT-HANDED goal 30 seconds into the third period...the third and fourth line played the last 15 minutes of the period.

3. Nine different players scored goals, including two first career goals.

I understand MHGr8ness has a pure hatred for Cathedral, read his past posts. But at least have arguments grounded in fact if you're going to put a historically very classy coach on blast on a message board.

I didn't hear any complaints when Mora beat Moose Lake 13-0 earlier this year...don't see any relevance now.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Doc Holliday wrote:If the coach is playing them for kids to rack up points or get a record, unnessary. If he's playing them for preparation for the next round, the coach thinks it's in his teams best interest.

From the sound of it, it looks like he played only on the PP, which as said above, it's good to work on despite the score. Game experience & atmosphere is hard to duplicate in practice.
"Atmosphere" in this game..?

Tell the jv kids you're looking for kids that will step up next year and have a controlled scrimmage.... if you're looking for similar "work"

Atmosphere??
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

BobSaget wrote:Aside from MHGr8ness' obvious hatred for Cathedral...I've got my biased 2cents to toss into the hat...

1. This Cathedral team was just subject to a lower seed in the section as a result of not beating teams badly enough in the regular season. If they had beaten Mora 17-1 instead of 11-4 and Sauk Rapids 10-0 instead of 6-0 in the regular season they would have gotten a #1 seed (according to other coaches in the section, FACT).

2. Poganski's goal in the third period was a SHORT-HANDED goal 30 seconds into the third period...the third and fourth line played the last 15 minutes of the period.

I understand MHGr8ness has a pure hatred for Cathedral, read his past posts. But at least have arguments grounded in fact if you're going to put a historically very classy coach on blast on a message board.

I didn't hear any complaints when Mora beat Moose Lake 13-0 earlier this year...don't see any relevance now.
He ran up the score out of spite where they were seeded?

Otherwise no merit.
BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

MrBoDangles wrote:
BobSaget wrote:Aside from MHGr8ness' obvious hatred for Cathedral...I've got my biased 2cents to toss into the hat...

He ran up the score out of spite where they were seeded?

Otherwise no merit.
No, that's not what I said. I was more so raising a question. Should they beat these teams 20-0 in the future to get a one seed or play with tact which they did? People attack this coach saying he's classless, when the reality is he did all he could do to keep games against weaker competition close all year. One game gets out of hand and people are calling for his head.

They didn't run it up. Yes, the score got out of hand in the second period. But, they called off the dogs in the third. They could have won 30-0 if they wanted to. People that weren't at the game are commenting on something they have no clue what they are talking about.
Vapor

Post by Vapor »

This is a coach letting the "Star" run up his stats. Didn't have the huge numbers during the season, so lets get em now vs. an inferior team. What would the conversation be if this kid was injured late in 2nd or 3rd ? Plain and simple, you do not let this happen. Put em on D if you really need the top line to play. And this idea that they need to "practice" special teams is a joke. Really, against this team ! C'mon .
BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

Vapor wrote:This is a coach letting the "Star" run up his stats. Didn't have the huge numbers during the season, so lets get em now vs. an inferior team. What would the conversation be if this kid was injured late in 2nd or 3rd ? Plain and simple, you do not let this happen. Put em on D if you really need the top line to play. And this idea that they need to "practice" special teams is a joke. Really, against this team ! C'mon .
Another incident where a person knows nothing about what they are speaking on.

It's highly unlikely to get hurt sitting on the bench in the third.

Also, why should this team sit these guys for the whole second period? Should they have called off the dogs up 3-0 after 1?

This will be my last post on this. There are facts and there are what the "haters" want to be facts. People that weren't at the game commenting without even taking the time to pick up the scoresheet and give it a look.
bestpopcorn

Post by bestpopcorn »

Bigger deal to the parents than the kids.

I always hated run time games, even when we were getting killed. Play, learn, etc.

I have been really bummed in the stands during a blowout only to look at my kid coming off the ice grinning over some funny thing that someone said.