7AA Final: #2 Grand Rapids vs. #1 Duluth East

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Thunderhawks
45%
Greyhounds
55%

Total votes: 65

GopherHockey

Post by GopherHockey » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:02 pm

Looks like a nice crowd, very loud.

Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:30 pm

DE starting to dominate, 2-0.
I can splash in the rink puddles!

Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:48 pm

3-1 DE after two. Forbort goal = nice skate around -or- why was the defense standing their watching him skate a 360 around the net? :oops:

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:02 pm

Nostalgic Nerd wrote:3-1 DE after two. Forbort goal = nice skate around -or- why was the defense standing their watching him skate a 360 around the net? :oops:
Forbort had the puck for 15 seconds on that effort.

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:31 pm

Great game!

MTStringer

Post by MTStringer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:44 pm

DE4 GR 3 Final. Good game.

green4

Post by green4 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:49 pm

east was the much better team through 2 periods and then in the 3rd GR came out and i thought was a little better than east besides the breakaway goal they gave up. The last couple min was very fun to watch, had some good shorthanded chances. Shepard played well and so did Bischoff.

It was tough to see GR get that Major penalty at the end but it was no doubt the right call. It was a tough play for the player since Lundgren stopped right before the boards.

That all being said Congrats to the greyhounds!!

WBLHockeyfan04

Post by WBLHockeyfan04 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:50 pm

Exciting game. Hoping that Rapids could have had a few more chances at the end, but definitely a good one.

Could see East anywhere between a 1-3 seed at state. They are definitely one of the favorites to win it all.

GPGT

Post by GPGT » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:59 pm

other than HM, How is East not a 2 seed?

WBLHockeyfan04

Post by WBLHockeyfan04 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:02 pm

GPGT wrote:other than HM, How is East not a 2 seed?
Probably will be. If Hill wins this is how I would have it

1. Hill
2. East
3. Wayzata
4. Edina
5. ???? Centennial?

GPGT

Post by GPGT » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:04 pm

East played great tonight, but so did alot of AA teams... But this season, I will make a DE - HM final.... IMO rapids was Easts biggest test

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:27 pm

Hats off to Rapids on a fine season. They gave East all they could handle tonight. Too bad they couldn't both compete at State. Rapids is set up for a run next season.

Now my wife knows why we have an AED in the house. :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

hockeyhockeyhockey

Post by hockeyhockeyhockey » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:31 pm

WBLHockeyfan04 wrote:
GPGT wrote:other than HM, How is East not a 2 seed?
Probably will be. If Hill wins this is how I would have it

1. Hill
2. East
3. Wayzata
4. Edina

agree with this

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:51 pm

Whew! My heart rate is slowly coming down.

What an entertaining game, and what great atmosphere. Amsoil was absolutely packed--the crowd was bigger than your normal Bulldog game, and far more raucous. It couldn't have been any further from Saturday's snooze-fest, and a great showing by two schools that love their hockey. And it was only fitting that it came down to yet another one-goal game.

Though East never trailed, Rapids gave it everything they had in this one. Every time I thought I could breathe a little easier, they came right back and cut the deficit to one. Jake Bischoff in particular really gave it all he had. Congrats to the Thunderhawks on a fine season--it's hard not to feel for them a little bit, with so many narrow losses to East over the years.

And in the end, the Hounds got it done. 5 in a row, 14 of 20, 20 overall. Getting the first goal from the second line was a nice plus, and it was encouraging to see them have a good night offensively even on a night when the power play went dry. Even though the PP didn't score, it generated great pressure early on, and let them eat up 5 minutes in the 3rd. You hate to see that sort of penalty in a big game, but it was certainly the right call, and Rapids kept East off balance for nearly all five minutes. Given this team's strengths, it was fitting also that it came down to a penalty kill over the last two minutes, but they did the job without too much worry, as they have all year.

On to St. Paul. This team has potential, but they can't get ahead of themselves. One thing at a time. Enjoy this one for a bit, then it's back to work.

allstatebenders

Post by allstatebenders » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:06 pm

East didn't have one shot on net during their five minute power play.... Crazy. The better team won. Congrats East, and congrats to GR for their good year. I'm sure they will be back next year especially with how many seniors the hounds have.

Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:21 pm

mnmouth wrote:
Nostalgic Nerd wrote:3-1 DE after two. Forbort goal = nice skate around -or- why was the defense standing their watching him skate a 360 around the net? :oops:
That long? It was a bad goal to give up. You cannot skate around the net and circle in close. The defenseman should have forced him out wide.

norcon

Post by norcon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:15 am

karl(east) wrote:Whew! My heart rate is slowly coming down.

What an entertaining game, and what great atmosphere. Amsoil was absolutely packed--the crowd was bigger than your normal Bulldog game, and far more raucous. It couldn't have been any further from Saturday's snooze-fest, and a great showing by two schools that love their hockey. And it was only fitting that it came down to yet another one-goal game.

Though East never trailed, Rapids gave it everything they had in this one. Every time I thought I could breathe a little easier, they came right back and cut the deficit to one. Jake Bischoff in particular really gave it all he had. Congrats to the Thunderhawks on a fine season--it's hard not to feel for them a little bit, with so many narrow losses to East over the years.

And in the end, the Hounds got it done. 5 in a row, 14 of 20, 20 overall. Getting the first goal from the second line was a nice plus, and it was encouraging to see them have a good night offensively even on a night when the power play went dry. Even though the PP didn't score, it generated great pressure early on, and let them eat up 5 minutes in the 3rd. You hate to see that sort of penalty in a big game, but it was certainly the right call, and Rapids kept East off balance for nearly all five minutes. Given this team's strengths, it was fitting also that it came down to a penalty kill over the last two minutes, but they did the job without too much worry, as they have all year.

On to St. Paul. This team has potential, but they can't get ahead of themselves. One thing at a time. Enjoy this one for a bit, then it's back to work.
Well said. Hoped Rapids would have come out and been more aggressive on the forecheck. Once again they were quite passive until the third period and let East dictate most of the play. I must say I was very dissappointed with the two non-calls in the final period that pretty much sealed the fate for Rapids chances to tie the game. The five minute major against Horsmann would have never happened had the refs not swallowed the whistles on the hit to Avery Peterson prior to the puck getting to him in the slot. Should have been check from behind or at least interference. Reed Holum was also taken down right in front the Hounds net on what looked to be a tap-in for the equalizer. Too bad it finished that way. Great individual performance by Jake Bischoff. No doubt, one of the best defensemen in the state along with Meirs Moore. Congrats Hounds and best of luck down at the Excel!

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:47 am

Nostalgic Nerd wrote:
mnmouth wrote:
That long? It was a bad goal to give up. You cannot skate around the net and circle in close. The defenseman should have forced him out wide.
Yep. That long. He takes the pass from Toscano at :44 just outside the GR blue line. He skates into the GR zone, then around the net and fires a shot at Shepard at :37. He gets the puck back on a bad clear from GR #11 at :35, skates around the net again and fires the puck by Shepard at :27. Out of that 17 second sequence, he did not have the puck for just 2 seconds.

I guess I don't know why East can't claim the #1 seed at State regardless of the HM-WBL outcome. They certainly can make an argument for it, which I'm sure Randolph will press.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:26 am

east hockey wrote:Hats off to Rapids on a fine season. They gave East all they could handle tonight. Too bad they couldn't both compete at State. Rapids is set up for a run next season.

Lee

Agree that GR gave DE a great game and is set-up well for the future.

"And in the end, the Hounds got it done. 5 in a row, 14 of 20, 20 overall."

I think the golden 30 or so year run for the Hounds is beginning to near the end...they still will go to State often out of 7AA (don't get me wrong) but the domination will even out...based on the most recent Bantam AA ranking (before Regions start today) DE is not in the top 20...that in addition to the continued drain of players to DM...will even things out soon IMO. GR is on the rise...so is ER...and eventually Andover will be a factor. Hermantown is playing AA for Bantams....hopefully after STA ops up next year....hermantown will eventually follow to AA in say 5 years and so will DM around that time frame...allowing ER and Andover to return to a Twin Cities AA section down the road :idea:

LPH - Youth Rankings - February 28, 2013

Bantam AA

1 WAYZATA
2 Edina
3 Prior Lake/Savage
4 Elk River
5 Stillwater
6 Burnsville
7 Grand Rapids
8 Centennial
9 Hermantown
10 Mounds View
11 Anoka
12 Eden Prairie
13 Bloomington Jefferson
14 Rosemount
15 Bemidji
16 Osseo/Maple Grove
17 Lakeville North
18 Woodbury
19 St. Michael-Albertville
20 Blaine

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:40 am

hockey59 wrote:
east hockey wrote:Hats off to Rapids on a fine season. They gave East all they could handle tonight. Too bad they couldn't both compete at State. Rapids is set up for a run next season.

Lee

Agree that GR gave DE a great game and is set-up well for the future.

"And in the end, the Hounds got it done. 5 in a row, 14 of 20, 20 overall."

I think the golden 30 or so year run for the Hounds is beginning to near the end...they still will go to State often out of 7AA (don't get me wrong) but the domination will even out...based on the most recent Bantam AA ranking (before Regions start today) DE is not in the top 20...that in addition to the continued drain of players to DM...will even things out soon IMO. GR is on the rise...so is ER...and eventually Andover will be a factor. Hermantown is playing AA for Bantams....hopefully after STA ops up next year....hermantown will eventually follow to AA in say 5 years and so will DM around that time frame...allowing ER and Andover to return to a Twin Cities AA section down the road :idea:

LPH - Youth Rankings - February 28, 2013

Bantam AA

1 WAYZATA
2 Edina
3 Prior Lake/Savage
4 Elk River
5 Stillwater
6 Burnsville
7 Grand Rapids
8 Centennial
9 Hermantown
10 Mounds View
11 Anoka
12 Eden Prairie
13 Bloomington Jefferson
14 Rosemount
15 Bemidji
16 Osseo/Maple Grove
17 Lakeville North
18 Woodbury
19 St. Michael-Albertville
20 Blaine
Not so fast -- MyHockey has Duluth East Bantam A at #17 (http://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?y=2012&a=3&v=166), though current 7AA teams Elk River (#4), Rapids (#7) and potentially Hermantown (#12). Course Hermantown is still 7A. Also, East PeeWee A at #8 (http://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?y=2012&a=2&v=164) and their next closest Section 7AA competitor (Rapids) at #12.

Just like many folks who predicted East's run would end last year, predictions on future teams is speculative at best.

TennJed

Post by TennJed » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:20 am

Difficult to reach final destination when driver of the bus has no idea where to go. And also, take small sips of your kool-aid,otherwise you may drown it it.(you know who you are). And regarding agenda, it was fulfilled. a varsity letter "earned"?

dangle_snipe

Post by dangle_snipe » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:22 am

Cliffs of game.

Rapids came out strong with a PP right away but then died off.

22 was burned by the DE player and ghe rapids goalie gave up a softy.

East hits several pipes

Rapids has several defensive break downs and turn overs in their zone most of which lead to goals or great chances.

17 for rapids was a liability all night and probably should have been benched.

22, 12, 16, and 8 all stood out for rapids and seemed to work hard the whole game.

Rapids was robbed on terrible no call which eventually led to them getting a 5 min major 10 seconds later.

Refs were very inconsistent ( probably didn't effect the final score)

After the game some classy DE player gave the finger to a bunch of rapids fans sitting on the glass. ( future Sioux recruit?)

All in all it was a great game with great atmosphere. The better overall team won.

Rapids turned it up in the third but just couldn't get another past the DE goalie.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:50 am

TennJed wrote:Difficult to reach final destination when driver of the bus has no idea where to go. And also, take small sips of your kool-aid,otherwise you may drown it it.(you know who you are). And regarding agenda, it was fulfilled. a varsity letter "earned"?
TennJed, what is it now 14 straight years of hockey incompetence behind the bench?

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:56 am

mnmouth wrote:
Nostalgic Nerd wrote:
mnmouth wrote:
Yep. That long. He takes the pass from Toscano at :44 just outside the GR blue line. He skates into the GR zone, then around the net and fires a shot at Shepard at :37. He gets the puck back on a bad clear from GR #11 at :35, skates around the net again and fires the puck by Shepard at :27. Out of that 17 second sequence, he did not have the puck for just 2 seconds.
I was hollering at my TV for somebody from Rapids to get on Forbort. All the GR players I could see on the TV just stood there and watched him. Terrible to let that goal happen.

pipersniper12

Post by pipersniper12 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:06 am

:shock:
Last edited by pipersniper12 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt|Fish|Hockey