6AA Final: #1 Benilde vs. #3 Wayzata

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

6AA Final: #1 Benilde vs. #3 Wayzata

Poll ended at Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:07 am

Benilde
44%
Wayzata
56%

Total votes: 55

north_bear

Post by north_bear »

What was the record Besse was chasing? All time point leader?
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

As an East fan, I guess I'm as qualified as anyone to welcome Benilde to the club of senior-laden favorites who went down. Heavy is the head that wears the crown, especially in high school hockey. There is a reason it's been at least ten years since one of those teams won. Thanks to this Red Knight senior class for all of the entertaining games over the past few years, and best wishes to them in the future.

What a job by Coach O'Leary and Wayzata. Their defensive zone coverage and support tonight was spectacular, and they finished their chances excellently. They have as good a chance as anyone in what looks to be a wide-open state tournament. Shutting out Besse-Moore-Labosky in a game of this magnitude is pretty impressive.

It seemed like Benilde was really pressing as the game went on. Wayzata's smart D frustrated them, and they never really got going. I was also never a fan of the whole Besse-on-the-point at even strength thing, and it burned them on the fifth goal, which was the back-breaker. As several people have said on this thread, defense wins championships.

Congrats to Wayzata. 6AA remains without a repeat champion since the mid-90s.
Toomuchtoosoon

Post by Toomuchtoosoon »

Besse one point short from Mayasich record. Class act and great player

Class act? could have at least shook one of his former team mates hand at the end. Dingman was the goalie for his Bantam championship, could have said hi
Last edited by Toomuchtoosoon on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonehead

Post by Bonehead »

Once it hit 3-2 I told my Wayzata alumni wife to dust off the dancing shoes. Not sure why it works so well but the D and Dingmann seem to have complete control once they get a lead.

Go Trojans!!! :D
demongoed

Post by demongoed »

Can't overlook the advantage Wayzata had having practiced and played their home games on the big sheet. They used the space really well. I'm not taking anything away from their performance--they were the better team in every way, especially Dingman, but I'm sure being familiar with the aspects of a rink like that helped.
D3Referee

Post by D3Referee »

Good effort by Benilde, but honestly, no surprise here. Watching these two teams when it mattered back in December, this result was pretty predictable. Better luck next season.

STATE here we come! #LoveTheTourney! Trojans in '13!
"See ya in another life brother"
tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 »

Hats off to Wayzata! They played a phenomenal second and third period after a shaky start. Besse's line underperformed all night...you couldn't even notice him out there. As for him being a class act, I have no comment.
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

Game that I thought was going to be close, wasn't....Jimmy the Greek I ain't.

Kudos to Wayzata and their game plan.
Buy ya a soda after the game!
MHL All-Star

Post by MHL All-Star »

what did besse do?
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

MHL All-Star wrote:what did besse do?
Buy ya a soda after the game!
Greeny

Post by Greeny »

I wouldn't have known any better had someone told me that Besse/Labosky/Moore didn't even play tonight. What a lousy game for that line. The best line was their second one, with Jungles and Kaske! Didn't Jungles get both goals? Either way, Wayzata deserved to win this one, totally outplayed em. And like I said, Sprang proved to be the nail in the back for BSM, and Dingmann proved to be the backbone of Wayzata. Tons of fun to watch.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

karl(east) wrote:As an East fan, I guess I'm as qualified as anyone to welcome Benilde to the club of senior-laden favorites who went down. Heavy is the head that wears the crown, especially in high school hockey. There is a reason it's been at least ten years since one of those teams won. Thanks to this Red Knight senior class for all of the entertaining games over the past few years, and best wishes to them in the future.

What a job by Coach O'Leary and Wayzata. Their defensive zone coverage and support tonight was spectacular, and they finished their chances excellently. They have as good a chance as anyone in what looks to be a wide-open state tournament. Shutting out Besse-Moore-Labosky in a game of this magnitude is pretty impressive.

It seemed like Benilde was really pressing as the game went on. Wayzata's smart D frustrated them, and they never really got going. I was also never a fan of the whole Besse-on-the-point at even strength thing, and it burned them on the fifth goal, which was the back-breaker. As several people have said on this thread, defense wins championships.

Glad you mentioned it. A sniper like Besse you need down low. I didn't particularly care for his work ethic either. It seemed like there were other teammates willing to work harder to create chances.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
WBLHockeyfan04

Post by WBLHockeyfan04 »

Nostalgic Nerd wrote:
karl(east) wrote:As an East fan, I guess I'm as qualified as anyone to welcome Benilde to the club of senior-laden favorites who went down. Heavy is the head that wears the crown, especially in high school hockey. There is a reason it's been at least ten years since one of those teams won. Thanks to this Red Knight senior class for all of the entertaining games over the past few years, and best wishes to them in the future.

Glad you mentioned it. A sniper like Besse you need down low. I didn't particularly care for his work ethic either. It seemed like there were other teammates willing to work harder to create chances.

I agree. He didn't really seem very engaged in this one. Thought he had one good scoring chance all night, when he made a nice move around a Wayzata defensmen. Just looked flat, and looked like he checked out in the third. (Along with other players)
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Scary for the rest of 6AA next year is that Wayzata is relatively young. Nice to see them overcome the recent exodus to privates and good for O'Leary and co. to get to state. As a Tonka fan I hate to see the Skippers lose out, but can't knock Wayzata for any reason.
hondo98

Post by hondo98 »

Wayzata is solid and deserve the 6AA trophy. BSM goalie looked like he was on roller blades, brutal.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

I couldn't agree more what some have said about Wayzata defensively. Their defensemen are easily the best I have seen this year. They made great choices when clearing or breaking out of the zone. They just didn't automatically make the "break-out" pass, they read where and what BSM was doing and either carried the puck or hesitated just long enough to see what developed. Very smart and skilled defensemen. The coaches deserve a great deal of credit along with the the players.
RRubberbeeskit

Post by RRubberbeeskit »

hondo98 wrote:Wayzata is solid and deserve the 6AA trophy. BSM goalie looked like he was on roller blades, brutal.
H98: My son and I noticed the same thing with the BSM goalie. He seemed to be out of position a number of times leading directly to Wayzata goals. It also seemed as though Wayzata used the open space on that big sheet more effectively.
Chandler L nice D.
Congrats to Wayzata on a solid win.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Toomuchtoosoon wrote:

Class act? could have at least shook one of his former team mates hand at the end. Dingman was the goalie for his Bantam championship, could have said hi
+1

I understand the kid is upset that he lost & his HS career is over, but you have to deal with it & lead a good example. That's what wearing the C is all about. You think the Burnsville kids want to be shaking the hands of the Edina players after getting to the same spot & losing to the same team 3 years in a row?

Personally, I don't care if they do shake each other's hands when they're awarded medals. They already shook hands in the line. But since it's a known practice now, you do it anyway.

I don't know why this bothers me, it really shouldn't. But it does for some reason.
snowpuck

Post by snowpuck »

Get over it... Besse is a great classy kid... All you haters of Private schools go away! I've lived in a lot of places and have never seen such a persecution over wanting to send your child to a small catholic school instead of a college as these HS around here are. Don't bash the kids. Besse had an incredible year and hs career for that matter! He was fun to watch as were his line mates.
No I'm not from BSM..
Go Trojans
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I don't remember mentioning anything about it being about private schools. I was watching 10 BSM kids looking back & forth at each other, saying to the effect "Should I go shake his hand? I've already gone."

If a kid gets criticized, it's not always because people don't like private school.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

I couldn't agree more with you Doc. I noticed the same thing about besse after the game. I understand it sucks to lose but Burnsville went through the same thing. They all went back up to shake the hands of an Edina player. Bsm had about 10 kids at one end and 10 at the other. I specifically noticed #24 from wayzata had nobody come shake his hand.

I also noticed it took besse much longer of a time to receive his medal, and barely cared to go join his team captains to get their team trophy. I took away the thought he was making sure everyone in the building noticed him. Maybe seeking some attention.

I also noticed his lack of effort throughout the game.
stmartin123

Post by stmartin123 »

Tigers33 wrote:I couldn't agree more with you Doc. I noticed the same thing about besse after the game. I understand it sucks to lose but Burnsville went through the same thing. They all went back up to shake the hands of an Edina player. Bsm had about 10 kids at one end and 10 at the other. I specifically noticed #24 from wayzata had nobody come shake his hand.

I also noticed it took besse much longer of a time to receive his medal, and barely cared to go join his team captains to get their team trophy. I took away the thought he was making sure everyone in the building noticed him. Maybe seeking some attention.

I also noticed his lack of effort throughout the game.
Are you serious? I find it hard to believe that is the one thing going through the kid's head at that point in the night...hey everyone look at me! i just lost i want all the attention on me. Come on. I agree with you that is kind of classless to not shake the opposing player's hand when receiving their medals, but seriously calling him an attention wh**e (not sure if I can use that word) at that point in the night is bit ridiculous.

Another thing to think about...Im sure Besse knew a good chunk of those kids. have you ever played against a good friend? Im sure if you have, you knew how extremely competitive those games are and the loser can be a bit of sour puss. Not saying what besse did was ok, but Im pretty sure the last thing I would want to do is shake the hand of friend on the opposing team. They were probably chirping at each other all night too. It takes a lot of class to do it...I dont know, I may have acted the same way too.
Don't hate STA. I wouldn't want to lose either.
Hockey Fever

Post by Hockey Fever »

Ever stop to consider that maybe Besse was sick? He sure didn't look like the same player that I've seen all season. Some of you are so quick to jump all over people and call them classless without knowing the facts.

Congratulations Wayzata, you were the better team last night.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Hockey Fever wrote:Ever stop to consider that maybe Besse was sick? He sure didn't look like the same player that I've seen all season. Some of you are so quick to jump all over people and call them classless without knowing the facts.

He didn't congratulate Wayzata players receiving medals because he was sick? How considerate of him....

I haven't said one thing about the way he played last night or his effort level because I'm not questioning it. I'm only talking about the way he handled himself after the loss.

Post by 2112 »

Doc Holliday wrote:
Hockey Fever wrote:Ever stop to consider that maybe Besse was sick? He sure didn't look like the same player that I've seen all season. Some of you are so quick to jump all over people and call them classless without knowing the facts.

He didn't congratulate Wayzata players receiving medals because he was sick? How considerate of him....

I haven't said one thing about the way he played last night or his effort level because I'm not questioning it. I'm only talking about the way he handled himself after the loss.

One thing i don`t understand, this kid stays for his senior year and has a great high school career and people still rip this kid. He could have left but didn`t, why all the abuse?
Lets congradulate Besse on a great high school career and continued success at Wisconsin.