GR Coaching

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Immigrant Fan

GR Coaching

Post by Immigrant Fan »

I'm not as savvy as so many of you at understanding everything that makes a good team or a great coach. I frequently see comments in these threads that snipe at Laroque. Please could someone, in a relatively neutral and objective tone, explain where they think he is below par? I don't have the insights that many of you have.

I see so many coaches from other teams who are an embarrassment based on their conduct on the bench. I have never seen an occasion where I thought GR's coaching staff did not represent the school well. The team is generally competitive against the highest levels. The fan base seems fairly passionate and supportive. Those all seem like positive indicators to me.

So, I don't see the problem, but would appreciate gaining a better understanding of what others are seeing.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Why do say he is below par? He is an excellent coach and gets the most out of average to slighly above talent!
dangle_snipe

Re: GR Coaching

Post by dangle_snipe »

Immigrant Fan wrote:I'm not as savvy as so many of you at understanding everything that makes a good team or a great coach. I frequently see comments in these threads that snipe at Laroque. Please could someone, in a relatively neutral and objective tone, explain where they think he is below par? I don't have the insights that many of you have.

I see so many coaches from other teams who are an embarrassment based on their conduct on the bench. I have never seen an occasion where I thought GR's coaching staff did not represent the school well. The team is generally competitive against the highest levels. The fan base seems fairly passionate and supportive. Those all seem like positive indicators to me.

So, I don't see the problem, but would appreciate gaining a better understanding of what others are seeing.
I think it's mostly butt hurt parents who's kids are on JG or were cut.....

I couldn't pick the guy out of a two man line up with Adrian Peterson but I have seen the team play and for the most part they have looked well coached.

On that note I did see one particular player on Thursday that I thought should have got some bench time but he never missed a shift. He may have just been having a bad night but he was struggling. He knows the players better than me so I will just assume it was the best option.
Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan »

OK, so I see critical, non-specific comments about the coach, elsewhere in these boards, but no explanations here. So, far two supportive responses, and obviously my starting point is that he is a good coach. But, I am trying to learn, so anything?
Not born here...
TennJed

Post by TennJed »

In response to mulefarm's comment to "average talent or slightly above." In DEFENSE OF THE BOYS- this years group of jr/sr's were not average talent. 2nd in state as PW A's. 2nd in state as Bantam A's. Not your "average group of talent". This year...[b]2nd in sections. [/b]
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

TennJed wrote:In response to mulefarm's comment to "average talent or slightly above." In DEFENSE OF THE BOYS- this years group of jr/sr's were not average talent. 2nd in state as PW A's. 2nd in state as Bantam A's. Not your "average group of talent". This year...[b]2nd in sections. [/b]
Did they lose any talent to privates? :lol:
TennJed

Post by TennJed »

No players lost. Only "new" players infused into lineup. Siblings.'Nuff said.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

TennJed wrote:In response to mulefarm's comment to "average talent or slightly above." In DEFENSE OF THE BOYS- this years group of jr/sr's were not average talent. 2nd in state as PW A's. 2nd in state as Bantam A's. Not your "average group of talent". This year...[b]2nd in sections. [/b]
You are right, they are slightly above average. Not a knock on them, they are just not an elite talented team and the coach got the most out of them.
TennJed

Post by TennJed »

Muley (or is it Mrs. Coach??)- you DO not accomplish what these boys did by being slightly above average. He did not get the most out of this group,(if so they would still be playing) they had the talent to win this section and make noise at state. You keep drinking that GR Kool-Aid.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Sounds like you should be the coach! If they had all this talent why are they not going to St Paul? Oh, I know, it was the coaches fault. They had a nice youth run, but that doesn't translate into great HS success. Wayzata has won numerous youth championships and this is only their 3rd trip to the state. Time for a reality check!
TennJed

Post by TennJed »

Here's a reality check...Wayzata loses MANY youth players to numerous HS programs. This group lost ZERO players. The only "average" players on this years squad were the new faces on roster,ones with similar name as the coach. 2nd power play unit........ C'MON MAN !! There was a personal agenda here, and in accomplishing that the success of the team was comprimised.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Sorry to inform you but kids develop at different times. You may have had many physically mature kids when they were younger and this was a major factor in their success. Seems many of the players leveled off, or other teams caught up to them physically through the HS years and balanced the playing field. To say the coach did not play the best kids is sour grapes. You are entitled to your opinion, but you are like me in that if you aren't on the coaching staff, it's all spectulation.
ndirishfighting

Post by ndirishfighting »

I have coached with Bruce in the summer
I think he is a great guy knows how to get to kids & interact very well also.
When it comes down to it, yes it could be some jr gold or cut kids people chit chat about but then kids develop at diff ages BUT if the kids dont buy into your system/systems then it doesnt matter how talented a team you have.
The last time Rapids went to state 2 yrs in a row, those kids bought into everything Bruce had to offer from day one & the upper classmen made sure the younger kids were on board right from the start.

I also do believe Bruce just gets caught up in the game so much where & when he could change his def zone, neutral zone or off zone sysytem but is like no it will work we just gotta keep goin. Great coaches will change things on the fly as the game is progressing

My personal opinion with the Rapids team this yr if you have Hendrickson from Virginia, Decenzo from Hibbing, Guyer from Greenway, all great coaches Rapids would be goin to the X
They’re kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!
rainier

Post by rainier »

Don't have a horse in the race nor opinion on Rapids coach, but wouldn't a reason for East being better once kids get to the HS level be the fact that there is more than one bantam team in Duluth? How many kids from the Denfeld bantam team end up going to East? I don't know, just thinking this may be a valid reason for the youth/high school difference.
grandindian

Post by grandindian »

The reason you "hear things" is that certain people with an axe to grind can't let it go for their own shallow reasons. The majority of GR folks understand that players need to execute and each year's team is different. Different personalities and abilities. I have not seen a Rapids team in the last ten years that should have blown anyone out, including the mid 2000's teams that had so much success. They absolutely bought in to a system and worked hard. Anyone remember that they were underdogs for basically every game and still found a way to win? That isn't just talent. I think Laroque gets plenty out of players.

As far as this team is concerned, no they just did not have the over all depth and talent to beat the number two ranked team in the state. Don't cheat them out of that accomplishment by diminishing their great effort.

And anyone saying he is playing his kids too much is just showing their agenda. What did they get in the finals...like four shifts between the two of them?! Get real.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

TennJed -

Move your kids to Greenway! Lol!! :)

Sounds like you are the typical parent who doesnt like a coach, because the ice time your kid got. Lol! Typical...

Grand Rapids was ranked 9th in the state when they lost a close game to the #2 ranked team. If Bischoff wasnt hurt for so long they probably would have been ranked in the top 5, maybe...If the refs call that penalty on Duluth East we might not even be having this conversation.

How many duluth East kids come from denfield? How about how many duluth east kids come from outside of Duluth? At one point in time kids were coming to duluth east from all over the northern area. Still true?
allstatebenders

Post by allstatebenders »

Tigers33 wrote:TennJed -

Sounds like you are the typical parent who doesnt like a coach, because the ice time your kid got. Lol! Typical...

Grand Rapids was ranked 9th in the state when they lost a close game to the #2 ranked team. If Bischoff wasnt hurt for so long they probably would have been ranked in the top 5, maybe...If the refs call that penalty on Duluth East we might not even be having this conversation.

How many duluth East kids come from denfield? How about how many duluth east kids come from outside of Duluth? At one point in time kids were coming to duluth east from all over the northern area. Still true?
0 come from Denfeld, one player is from the cities because his family started a business here years ago. This team won a bantam championship together, they all live in Easts district. Nice try though.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Not saying this group alone, just in general...nice try :)
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

clojacks1

Post by clojacks1 »

allstatebenders wrote:
Tigers33 wrote:TennJed -

0 come from Denfeld, one player is from the cities because his family started a business here years ago. This team won a bantam championship together, they all live in Easts district. Nice try though.
I believe the East goalie is from the Sauk Rapids/Sartell area? I thought Duluth Marshall actually had a player or 2 this year from the Edina district?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

clojacks1 wrote:
I believe the East goalie is from the Sauk Rapids/Sartell area? I thought Duluth Marshall actually had a player or 2 this year from the Edina district?
I believe the goalie is the "player from the cities" ASB is referring to. He moved in as a freshman and played a year of Bantams at East.

Dunno about anyone from Edina on Marshall, though they did have two transfers from Silver Bay (after it folded into North Shore) this season, plus one from Proctor.
preferhockey

Post by preferhockey »

karl(east) wrote:
clojacks1 wrote:
I believe the goalie is the "player from the cities" ASB is referring to. He moved in as a freshman and played a year of Bantams at East.

Dunno about anyone from Edina on Marshall, though they did have two transfers from Silver Bay (after it folded into North Shore) this season, plus one from Proctor.
First guy is correct, Sartell, parents have homes in Duluth and Sartell, good stuff.
Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan »

OK, well thanks to everyone. I don't know as much as many of you, so I was just trying to figure out the cause of complaints. I guess I will keep thinking Laroque is doing a good job and representing Grand Rapids well.

Now on to state. I will keep bleeding orange, but Go Hounds!
Not born here...
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

I think Mike Randolph and Curt Giles like em as a coach! Keep em around for another 20 years. Image ImageImage Image