The Bruce Plante Show, 2013 Edition

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

The Bruce Plante Show, 2013 Edition

Post by karl(east) »

Episode 1: after the quarterfinal win over Marshall.

On the top line of Benson, Koepke, and Gronseth: "They came up from Bantams as tenth graders, and they were our third line. Or, affectionately, the diaper line. We call them 'little fuzzy things.' As juniors they were the second line (with Travis [Koepke] on the first line at times, and now they're the top line. It's their turn. Their vision is great, and...they're totally unselfish."

"They're great on the power play when they play the power play. Sometimes they start creating a bunch of other crap and that's not very good."

"In Hermantown, we have a saying: seniors lead, juniors follow, and sophomores keep their mouths shut. We have five coaches down here to be babysitters, and the seniors help." (Here, Chris Benson adds that the coaches probably do more babysitting of the seniors than anyone else.)

Question: Does Brendan Flaherty owe you a beer now?

"Well, I haven't had a beer since *exact date* 1982. But he does own half the town. Those Marshall people. He could at least buy me a steak."

Question to Chris Benson: What do you think of your coach's rants?

Answer: "I love them!"

Plante then continues with a story on how the players all looked like a mess and put hats on before the press conference, while he took his off and pulled out his comb. "I'm trying to improve my image," he explains.

Question: You could be the Public School Champions for a third straight year. Are you aiming for more this year?

"Yeah, we have a chance. We may be the only public school left standing by the end of the nihgt. We may have to carry the public school flag again this year. But I get in a lot of trouble for talking about this stuff down here."

What are you going to do tomorrow? "Take the team to skate at Augsburg, go see chicks at the U of M. Then we have to keep them away from all the alkys and drunks. Last year we stayed at the Crowne Plaza, and it's a scary place. There were drunk kids everywhere, and half of them were from Hermantown. I had to cover my eyes in the elevator."

Episode 2 will be on Friday.
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

BRUCE 4 PREZ! :D
Buy ya a soda after the game!
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

east hockey wrote:Image

Lee
People pay good money to hear this kind of stand-up.

Why hasn't someone started a "Sh#t my Coach Says" twitter account? :idea:
defense

Post by defense »

Something has always seemed odd to me about hermantowns claim as " public school champions". Only time I'd give them that title is last year... some have said they are the
Two time defending public school champs...
Hope they plan on being class a champs this year.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

defense wrote:Something has always seemed odd to me about hermantowns claim as " public school champions". Only time I'd give them that title is last year... some have said they are the
Well, there is still Breck. :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

defense wrote:Something has always seemed odd to me about hermantowns claim as " public school champions". Only time I'd give them that title is last year... some have said they are the
I'll have you know the Hawks are going for their fourth straight public school title!

8)
deacon

Post by deacon »

Plante gonna Plante

Very entertaining
defense

Post by defense »

thestickler07 wrote:
I'll have you know the Hawks are going for their fourth straight public school title!

8)
Ya, that's fine...but I just don't see it, doesn't make sense till last year. Other than they were runners up to a private school...
gfhockey

Post by gfhockey »

EGF is true class a hockey
defense

Post by defense »

Warroad also beat mahtomedi and lost to STA
And TRF also beat Hibbing and lost to STA
dangle_snipe

Post by dangle_snipe »

WarmUpTheBus

Re: The Bruce Plante Show, 2013 Edition

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

karl(east) wrote:Episode 1: after the quarterfinal win over Marshall.

On the top line of Benson, Koepke, and Gronseth: "They came up from Bantams as tenth graders, and they were our third line. Or, affectionately, the diaper line. We call them 'little fuzzy things.' As juniors they were the second line (with Travis [Koepke] on the first line at times, and now they're the top line. It's their turn. Their vision is great, and...they're totally unselfish."

"They're great on the power play when they play the power play. Sometimes they start creating a bunch of other crap and that's not very good."

"In Hermantown, we have a saying: seniors lead, juniors follow, and sophomores keep their mouths shut. We have five coaches down here to be babysitters, and the seniors help." (Here, Chris Benson adds that the coaches probably do more babysitting of the seniors than anyone else.)

"Well, I haven't had a beer since *exact date* 1982. But he does own half the town. Those Marshall people. He could at least buy me a steak."

Plante then continues with a story on how the players all looked like a mess and put hats on before the press conference, while he took his off and pulled out his comb. "I'm trying to improve my image," he explains.

Question: You could be the Public School Champions for a third straight year. Are you aiming for more this year?

"Yeah, we have a chance. We may be the only public school left standing by the end of the nihgt. We may have to carry the public school flag again this year. But I get in a lot of trouble for talking about this stuff down here."

What are you going to do tomorrow? "Take the team to skate at Augsburg, go see chicks at the U of M. Then we have to keep them away from all the alkys and drunks. Last year we stayed at the Crowne Plaza, and it's a scary place. There were drunk kids everywhere, and half of them were from Hermantown. I had to cover my eyes in the elevator."

Time to go to a one class tournament so we don't have to listen to his whining.
duluth dave

Post by duluth dave »

I dont know of any good reason for anyone to bad mouth hermantown. Other then being jealous over there hockey program. :evil:
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

Apparently this is another Private school rant...I only have one thing to say Wha-Wha-wha,,,
Come to play, not to play for second place....

And please, I am totally against STA!!!
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:

Well, this guy has a point. If it was still a 1 class system or Hermantown goes "AA" no one hears of Bruce Plante...

That being said, hope the Hawks win
Tenoverpar

f

Post by Tenoverpar »

This should be added to THREAD OF THE YEAR..good stuff
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

The "Crowne Plaza" line has to be the funniest thing I've ever heard. :lol:
Northhcky

Post by Northhcky »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:

I didn't see any whining in any of his comments. Bruce is not only a great guy but a fantastic coach always having a competitive team despite low numbers. About Hermantown moving up to AA there was an article in the Duluth paper yesterday about just that. Bruce said that they are thinking about it and are trying to schedule more AA teams every year. The decision is tough because do we want to be one of the better teams in A or a middle of the road team in AA. And he said they only had 38 kids tryout this year so it's tough decision with the low numbers compared to the large schools. The funny part in the same article was Brenden the coach of Duluth Marshall saying Hermantown "should" move up after taking 2nd 3 years in a row. Funny he didn't after Marshall took second 3 yrs in a row lol.
Last edited by Northhcky on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

Northhcky wrote:I didn't see any whining in any of his comments. Bruce is not only a great guy but a fantastic coach always having a competitive team despite low numbers. About Hermantown moving up to AA there was an article in the Duluth paper yesterday about just that. Bruce said that they are thinking about it and are trying to schedule more AA teams every year. The decision is tough because do we want to be one of the better teams in A or a middle of the road team in AA. And he said they only had 38 kids tryout this year so it's tough decision. The funny part in the same article was Brenden the coach of Duluth Marshall saying Hermantown "should" move up after taking 2nd 3 years in a row. Funny he didn't after Marshall took second 3 yrs in a row lol.
Hahaha, if that isn't some irony I don't know what is.
Hawks76

Post by Hawks76 »

Hermantown has dropped Little Falls and Redwing and 1 other team for next year and will open the season with Wayzata at Hermantown, have added a 2nd with Grand Rapids and added White Bear.
rainier

Post by rainier »

Northhcky wrote:
WarmUpTheBus wrote:

I didn't see any whining in any of his comments. Bruce is not only a great guy but a fantastic coach always having a competitive team despite low numbers. About Hermantown moving up to AA there was an article in the Duluth paper yesterday about just that. Bruce said that they are thinking about it and are trying to schedule more AA teams every year. The decision is tough because do we want to be one of the better teams in A or a middle of the road team in AA. And he said they only had 38 kids tryout this year so it's tough decision with the low numbers compared to the large schools. The funny part in the same article was Brenden the coach of Duluth Marshall saying Hermantown "should" move up after taking 2nd 3 years in a row. Funny he didn't after Marshall took second 3 yrs in a row lol.
Flaherty better pray Hermantown doesn't get moved to 7A, otherwise it will be a long time before they or any other 7A team gets to St. Paul.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Like I said yesterday, guys the biggest beauty around. Would have loved to play for him and I'm sure the Hermantown kids would stand in front of a bus for the guy. Best of luck to them the rest of the way.
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

Bruce is not only a great guy but a fantastic coach always having a competitive team despite low numbers.

Hermantown has 12 Mite Teams. Most Associations would kill to have "low" numbers like that.
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

Froggy Richards wrote:Bruce is not only a great guy but a fantastic coach always having a competitive team despite low numbers.

Hermantown has 12 Mite Teams. Most Associations would kill to have "low" numbers like that.
NOT only that (low numbers comment)...how many kids does Roseau have? hmm #-o