AA Final - #3 Edina vs. #1 Hill-Murray

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins it

Poll ended at Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:53 am

HM
50%
Edina
50%

Total votes: 28

sachishi4

AA Final - #3 Edina vs. #1 Hill-Murray

Post by sachishi4 »

A rematch of the 2008 state championship game. Both teams had dramatic come from behind finished in the Semi's after a somewhat walk through the quarters. Both have great depth and skill at all positions.

I like a repeat of 2008, except maybe 3-2 Hill-Murray on top.
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Ahh another final where I don't want anyone to win.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

Ahhh, yes.....Cook up a big batch of Hater Tots and wash them down with a big bottle of Haterade, because the Hater Cup is on tomorrow! :lol:

My coin flip said..

Buy ya a soda after the game!
UntouchableFlow

Post by UntouchableFlow »

Gotta love the tradition and history of both of these teams. Both of the teams that I predicted to be in the final if I'm allowed to toot my own horn :D. After watching Edina play today I think it's safe to say that Hurley and that first line can be stopped with good defense, and I don't think they'll be as big of a factor as some may think tomorrow night. Hill-Murray is just such a strong team all around, in every aspect of the game, I don't see them losing, especially two years in a row.

Pioneers-4

Hornets-2
jeffpv

Post by jeffpv »

Hill - 4
Edina - 3
Should be an entertaining game, although I have to admit that it's kind of hard to actually cheer for either team. That being said, ultimately the two best teams in the class are definitely playing, so that's what it's all about!
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

I expect a very good game. Certainly no reason to think this game won't be close. I don't see this being a 1-0 or a 5-4 game. Somewhere in that proverbial 3-2 or 4-2 (en) is most likely.

Its my personal opinion that Hill had the toughest road to the championship game that could have fallen into place when going in to the tourney as the 1 seed. Of the seeded teams they got the hardest draw in Eastview. Then they had to take on Wayzata, who I believe was the hottest team. Hill had to beat two of the hottest, and best, goalies in the state to get to this point.

Edina on the other hand had a bit of a cake walk (pun intended) in the opening round by drawing an overwhelmed Lakeville North team. Then they had to play a team I thought had their number in Duluth East. Much like the Pioneers, Edina needed darn near the full game clock to secure the win.

You have two powerhouse programs going at it for the title. People can gripe all they want about disliking these two particular programs, but they bring star power and name recognition to the championship game. I'm a fan of good hockey, regardless of how they got good, so I'm looking forward to this game.

My prediction: Hill 4, Edina 2

Good luck to both teams! Championship Saturday people! This is what we wait for and talk about and speculate on all year coming to a head! Last few hours of MN high school hockey for the season. Better just enjoy it regardless of biases!
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

Those in the house for tonight's contest should watch carefully when Edina scores. There will be a smattering of applause for the Hornets. You only see that when they play Hill.

We've always drawn a legitimate opponent for the final and this year is no exception. I'm rolling it over in my head yet, trying to decide if Edina gets 2 or 3; and if Hill gets 3 or 4. I'm leaning toward 3-2, a tight game all the way.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

East metro boys all the way.
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

SPOILER ALERT: HILL-MURRAY BEATS EDINA BY 3+ GOALS, GAME NOT AS CLOSE AS MANY ANTICIPATED...
Not a fan of either team, but anyone who has been paying close attention to the teams and how they have been playing lately, this one isn't as close as it appears on the surface. Many reasons why, but here are the biggest three...
3) scoring balance, Hill-Murray has more depth up and down the roster.
2) physical play, Hill-Murray plays way tougher and handles the physical side of the game much better.
1) Goaltending, Hill-Murray has a massive advantage here and will score 5 goals minimum tonight.
-regardless of what happened at Braemar during hills 2-1 win over Edina earlier. Hill is playing significantly better than Edina lately and will be a 3+ goal win by Hill.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Interesting match up. First you have the team/association that is dominant at every level growing up. Their opponent is a team that hasn't played together until the High School cherry picks the top talent off of all the East metro association teams. (exception might be when they play on AAA teams or tournament all star teams in the summer).

What's even scarier is that both of these teams would be even better if they hadn't lost stars to the USHL or WHL (Guentzel, Heinrick, Nanne, Walker, ect). They are so much better than their toughest competition in sections (WBL and Burnsville) that it isn't even close. If WBL or Burnsville lost two top players off of their respective teams, they wouldn't even finish above 500.

Tough one to call. I'm going with Edina because I'm pissed HM ruined my perfect bracket. :oops:
Terry Thompson III

Post by Terry Thompson III »

Cake 4
Recruiters 3

in OVERTIME!
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Mountaineer wrote:SPOILER ALERT: HILL-MURRAY BEATS EDINA BY 3+ GOALS, GAME NOT AS CLOSE AS MANY ANTICIPATED...
Not a fan of either team, but anyone who has been paying close attention to the teams and how they have been playing lately, this one isn't as close as it appears on the surface. Many reasons why, but here are the biggest three...
2) physical play, Hill-Murray plays way tougher and handles the physical side of the game much better.
1) Goaltending, Hill-Murray has a massive advantage here and will score 5 goals minimum tonight.
-regardless of what happened at Braemar during hills 2-1 win over Edina earlier. Hill is playing significantly better than Edina lately and will be a 3+ goal win by Hill.
An interesting take for sure.
Be kind. Rewind.
green4

Post by green4 »

Mountaineer wrote:SPOILER ALERT: HILL-MURRAY BEATS EDINA BY 3+ GOALS, GAME NOT AS CLOSE AS MANY ANTICIPATED...
you could be right but i disagree with your reasoning... Edina has one of the deepest teams in the state, so does Hill murray but either way i would not say one is much deeper than the other.

Physical play edina can play with the best of them, go to Hockey hub and read how East players stated they were getting tired from the countless hits edina would put on them.

I agree hill has better goaltending but if Benjamin is on his game they will be fine

Finally i would not say hill has been playing better hockey of late there both in the championship game so they both must be doing something right. Neither team has been dominating as both won by one goal in there section final and needed 3rd period comebacks to win in the semi finals.

That being said you could be right Hill could kill Edina but i think its more likely that it will be closer than your prediction.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Is it me or is Hill far more a finesse team than physical?
I can splash in the rink puddles!
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Far more? I said way more physical than Edina, which doesn't take much... And the other part of what i said was they handle the physical part better, meaning they handle getting hit better than Edina...
The answer to your question is both.
Last edited by Mountaineer on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

Terry Thompson III wrote:Cake 4
Recruiters 3

in OVERTIME!
Which is which?
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

Zamman wrote:
Terry Thompson III wrote:Cake 4
Recruiters 3

in OVERTIME!
Which is which?
No kidding.

8)
The Puck
LGW
stpaul

HM - Edina

Post by stpaul »

This one is a tossup. I think Dugas gives HM a slight edge. He was very solid last night. Can't wait. Festive line for tickets this morning at HM. Feels like they stole one late last night. HM is 17-15-3 all time vs. Edina but has only beaten them once in the State Tourney.
Image,
green4

Post by green4 »

I always seem to forget but is there still a schwan cup curse?

Hill might have a chance to end that tonight if there is indeed still a curse.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

green4 wrote:I always seem to forget but is there still a schwan cup curse?

Hill might have a chance to end that tonight if there is indeed still a curse.
You're right. HM could break that trend tonight.

Should be a great game. Best of luck to both programs.

8)
The Puck
LGW
stpaul

Post by stpaul »

2005 Holy Angels won both. None since.
Granttenn

Hill Murray

Post by Granttenn »

The best news for Hill is that the first line is clicking again and the D are chipping in a few goals.. In the sectionals the second line was carrying the team With Brown being the leading post-season scorer and Funk & Anderson right behind.. The WBL game was 1-0 and a D scored that goal but in the Stillwater game, of the 4 non-empty net goals, Brown had 3 and Funk the other with Joey 8 setting up 2.. The 1st just wasn't gelling in the semi's or finals nor in the last few reg. season games.. We were wondering where that line went but they are back and Hill is playing with more balance then at any time this season - including when they won the Schwann's.. They simply don't have a weakness except maybe 3rd D combo.

I saw Edina a number of times and I always expected more from them based on the elite O talent on the roster (with the exception of the OT loss to Tonka- Malmquist was scary good).. The squeaker over a mediocre B'ville team in the sections is a good example.. The last month especially, it seemed like they were underachieving.. Benjamin hasn't been that sharp either and basically has the lowest save % of any Tourney G (.902 vs. LVNorth's G at .901).. He has to play large compared to Dugas (.940 save%) for Edina to win.

Unlike last year, I hope Hill plays like they are capable of playing and that, like last night's semi's, it's an exciting game for the fans.

-
Last edited by Granttenn on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hockeyhockeyhockey

Post by hockeyhockeyhockey »

Hey the real question is can HILL prevent shorthanded goals tonight..if they do they win it!
Granttenn

Post by Granttenn »

hockeyhockeyhockey wrote:Hey the real question is can HILL prevent shorthanded goals tonight..if they do they win it!

Good point. When I said that they don't have a weakness I forgot about power play which is mediocre at best..

-
394 West

Post by 394 West »

hockeyhockeyhockey wrote:Hey the real question is can HILL prevent shorthanded goals tonight..if they do they win it!
The Edina forwards should scribble Besse on their jerseys. That will give Dugas nightmares