Class A Championship: Hermantown vs. STA

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Can the Hawks pull it off?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 20

Gretzky9

Post by Gretzky9 »

For all you bleeding hearts....STA is playing by YOUR rules. YOU were the ones who wanted multiple classes. Now they play by YOUR rules and you don't like it. Keep coming up with excuses.
I am also glad they didn't shake hands for the multiple time after the game. Isn't shaking hands after the game the appropriate display of sportsmanship? Why do we have to shake hands more than once? It's YOU the bleeding hearts that have gone overboard with YOUR view of sportsmanship! It's a competition. Some people are not going to be happy and we don't or shouldn't have to find a way to send every kid home without their feelings hurt.
Next of course, YOU will want to do away with claiming a championship or maybe every team making it to State should be declared champions.

Good grief. Wake up people!
rainier

Post by rainier »

spin-o-rama wrote:Doubt the class A thread will go to 5 pages next year. Today was a taste of the great moments of the single class days. Further separation of the Goliaths and Davids will mean fewer Cinderella moments.

Fantastic game by Hermantown. Congrats to the players.
Yeah, it will be an awful tournament without the 12-0 and 11-0 games.
rainier

Post by rainier »

Gretzky9 wrote:For all you bleeding hearts....STA is playing by YOUR rules. YOU were the ones who wanted multiple classes. Now they play by YOUR rules and you don't like it. Keep coming up with excuses.
I am also glad they didn't shake hands for the multiple time after the game. Isn't shaking hands after the game the appropriate display of sportsmanship? Why do we have to shake hands more than once? It's YOU the bleeding hearts that have gone overboard with YOUR view of sportsmanship! It's a competition. Some people are not going to be happy and we don't or shouldn't have to find a way to send every kid home without their feelings hurt.
Next of course, YOU will want to do away with claiming a championship or maybe every team making it to State should be declared champions.

My heart bleeds for YOU. :D
defense

Post by defense »

The best team in the state, possibly the country just won a state title... I'm sorry Hawks, I believe you had red ice today....but I move that we forget it and move on...
Tornadoes 2003StateChamps

Post by Tornadoes 2003StateChamps »

kpryan88 wrote:
BodyShots wrote:A no call, and a goal. UNBELIEVABLE
Absolute f@&$ing garbage. St Thomas kid grabbed on and fell down & the Hermantown kid gets tackled trying to get to the puck and they don't call it. I really hope the refs realize how terrible that was.
That's exactly how I saw it. The Hawks got screwed.

I don't no whats worse, these refs from todays game or the idiots that suspended the kids for the Harlem Shake.
nota612er

Post by nota612er »

Chris Benson's response after the game and during the Herb Brook's award ceremony sums up the average Htown fan...his season ended in painful fashion each of the last 3 years on the Xcel ice. It's emotional; and I was proud of him for shouting out to the Hawks and the Community. Great kid from a great family who truly represents what the award is all about...and no, I am not his father :) That said, what a run for him and his diaper line mates. If my math is correct, they went 80-10-1 with 3 State Tourney Championship game appearances during their Varsity career....Congratulations to the Hawks and to Chris!
Northhcky

Post by Northhcky »

defense wrote:The best team in the state, possibly the country just won a state title... I'm sorry Hawks, I believe you had red ice today....but I move that we forget it and move on...
Please don't mind my venting a little. I don't post alot and when i have i don't bash the privates as much as i feel that they shouldn't be with the small schools. Others do a good job at that. Posts like this and others that want to beat their chests about what STA did today really pisses me off. I have been a fan of this game and have been to more HS games than i can count in over 50 years and not sure how many tourneys. I am a Hermantown fan mostly because it's the best show in town for a few bucks. But i was happy for Duluth Denfeld this year when they took the Hawks down. And i was rooting for EGF as i think thats what this tourney should be all about like it used to be. I guess what really upsets me today is not that the Hawks lost but what i have been reading on here about STA. If what i have read is true that STA has players from Wisc and Missouri i what to know why they are even allowed in the tourney at all in A or AA? And how could they in their own minds feel they really won fairly? To most you would think even in their own minds it would have to feel tainted or is this what society has become..damn fair play win at any way you can. So shame on that whole STA program. They are no different than Shattuk. The publics can't even take a kids from another community without them moving there let alone from other states. My god what has become of this game? Most of all shame on the MSHSL for even allowing this to happen, not just for letting the privates that clearly do have a huge advantage to play in the A tourney but recruiting out of state? They shouldn't be in AA either. Then why not let Shattuk in to? But they wouldn't, a little more class there. Ok i'm done for this year you all can bash this post now. See ya all next year maybe. Oh and IMHO that penalty should of never been called today. You don't call that in the last couple minutes of any game let alone a championship game unless maybe you prohibited a scoring chance.
defense

Post by defense »

Yup, beat my chest for STA .. you got it...
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

nota612er wrote:Chris Benson's response after the game and during the Herb Brook's award ceremony sums up the average Htown fan...his season ended in painful fashion each of the last 3 years on the Xcel ice. It's emotional; and I was proud of him for shouting out to the Hawks and the Community. Great kid from a great family who truly represents what the award is all about...and no, I am not his father :) That said, what a run for him and his diaper line mates. If my math is correct, they went 80-10-1 with 3 State Tourney Championship game appearances during their Varsity career....Congratulations to the Hawks and to Chris!
That was *very* cool, especially since it was obviously sincere.

Kid had his heart on his sleeve, but handled the situation with maturity beyond his years.
hockey1214

Post by hockey1214 »

The refs should never be noticed plain and simple. A call behind the net where both players get tangled up together and go down should never be called late in a game - MAKE IT A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!! No way do you make that call. So he did, you have to be thinking as a ref, I am going to be looking for any ticky tacky call I can to even it up. They couldn't have had a more perfect opportunity to even things up. You can say all you want about 51 minutes blah blah blah, but I think its absolutely pathetic that the refs out-shadowed the kids that played their hearts out today. Anyone who says anything negative against Bruce Plante has no idea what they are talking about. I guarantee you just wish you could have had a coach care about you as much as he does. He would do anything for his players, and that was why he was in the refs ear after the game. I promise you it just killed him to see the game ripped away from his players like that. When you have a coach that would stick his neck out for his guys, and a team that would do the exact same for him you get results like you have seen from Hermantown.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Until Hermantown fans accept that this is now their third final blowing a lead, I don't know what else to say.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

Northhcky wrote:
defense wrote:The best team in the state, possibly the country just won a state title... I'm sorry Hawks, I believe you had red ice today....but I move that we forget it and move on...
Please don't mind my venting a little. I don't post alot and when i have i don't bash the privates as much as i feel that they shouldn't be with the small schools. Others do a good job at that. Posts like this and others that want to beat their chests about what STA did today really pisses me off. I have been a fan of this game and have been to more HS games than i can count in over 50 years and not sure how many tourneys. I am a Hermantown fan mostly because it's the best show in town for a few bucks. But i was happy for Duluth Denfeld this year when they took the Hawks down. And i was rooting for EGF as i think thats what this tourney should be all about like it used to be. I guess what really upsets me today is not that the Hawks lost but what i have been reading on here about STA. If what i have read is true that STA has players from Wisc and Missouri i what to know why they are even allowed in the tourney at all in A or AA? And how could they in their own minds feel they really won fairly? To most you would think even in their own minds it would have to feel tainted or is this what society has become..damn fair play win at any way you can. So shame on that whole STA program. They are no different than Shattuk. The publics can't even take a kids from another community without them moving there let alone from other states. My god what has become of this game? Most of all shame on the MSHSL for even allowing this to happen, not just for letting the privates that clearly do have a huge advantage to play in the A tourney but recruiting out of state? They shouldn't be in AA either. Then why not let Shattuk in to? But they wouldn't, a little more class there. Ok i'm done for this year you all can bash this post now. See ya all next year maybe. Oh and IMHO that penalty should of never been called today. You don't call that in the last couple minutes of any game let alone a championship game unless maybe you prohibited a scoring chance.[/quot

Yawn!
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

Gretzky9 wrote:For all you bleeding hearts....STA is playing by YOUR rules. YOU were the ones who wanted multiple classes. Now they play by YOUR rules and you don't like it. Keep coming up with excuses.

They didn't shake hands after the AA game either. After both games there were many electrical/camera cords between the awards stand and the teams. It's also redundant since the teams shake hands after the game anyway.
The kids have more class than their fans/haters.
deacon

Post by deacon »

I thought the officiating was bad both ways. I was at the game and whoever that short linesman was absolutely brutal. He blew a clear icing and a couple offsides for both teams. As far as the penalty called in the last 2 minutes, it was blatant. There was no tangle up, he grabbed his arm and pulled him him down. The replay showed that and I watched it again at home and it is clear as day. The refs let a Hermantown penalty slide right before that in the other end as well. I'm not saying STA didn't commit a penalty before the game winner, I just didn't have a clean look at it.

I thought STA played flat and with no intensity until the third period. Hermantown played well throughout the game. They clearly were after it more than STA. it was pretty exciting with Novak hitting 2 pipes and getting robbed early with a great save on a one timer and Hermantown had numerous chances as well. Hermantown needs to work on their 2 goal leads.

Novak is sick.

People are mad.
Crimson Live

Post by Crimson Live »

lumberjackhockey wrote:
MnMike#1 wrote:I applaud all of our fine Minnesota students that participate in high school sports.
I especially applaud those members of a program(faculty, students and parents) that when given the opportunity to descend to an easier bracket because of their enrollment, chose to stay in the tougher bracket and compete with the more stiff competition. There have been many examples of this throughout the state.
Unfortunately, STA has chosen to remain in the single A bracket (BECAUSE THEY COULD).
A deciding factor can't be due to how many times they make the tournaments as students are continually graduating.
However, STA's unique advantages slip through the cracks of criteria considered by the MSHSL.
I guess the message to STA is "BETTER LATE THEN NEVER".
I really respect Roseau's program. I played them growing up all my life, and watched them win the state tournament in AA my senior year. With an enrollment of 374 they are half the size of most A schools and would be at the state tournament every single year if they opted to move down. STA should have followed suit long ago...
You believe Roseau would make it through Warroad EGF and TRF every year?
cooperalls4ever

Post by cooperalls4ever »

Gretzky9 wrote:I was at the game. It went both ways today with the refs. A couple questionable calls on St. Thomas during the game helped them get up on STA. the fact the STA goalie got ran when the puck in the crease and allowing the goal to stand really helped too.
The last penalty on Hermantown should not have been called. Overall, the refs impacted a game they had no right influencing that way.
I would normally cheer for almost anyone who plays STA but based on everything I have heard come out of Plante's mouth the last year and his general whining, I found myself pleased with the outcome.
The biggest issue again for me was the impact the refs had on a championship game that affected both teams.
The puck was already behind the STA goalie on the 4th goal going across the line before the Hermantown kid made contact...puck was in the air behind the STA goalie...yes, he got whacked, but it happened over & over again in both A & AA games throughout the tourney and few calls were made. Centennial/Hill game was one they started calling it after goalies had been run 2,3,4 times already. I'll take a closer look on the DVR in about 10 days when I get back from vacation, but wouldn't be surprised if he was "helped". Anyone who actually thinks that the Hermantown kid prevented the STA goalie from making that save is in the same state of mind believing that STA belongs in CLASS A!

The refs had no business calling a semi-questionable call with under 2 minutes left in a tied CHAMPIONSHIP game. Yes, I won't argue he grabbed the top of his stick hand AS HE WAS CHECKING HIM and FALLING at the same time. These calls are rarely made ESPECIALLY when it was not even close to an offensive scoring chance. Then to let the "missed" call go that ultimately became the winning goal is embarrassing to that crew of refs. Today I saw two blatant high sticking calls missed (one in each championship game) that the players nearly had the helmets ripped off by the opposing stick. Staying on STA/Herm. STA took out a Htown forward behind the net in the 1st (exact same spot as the call w/1:57 happened but they were going other direction and Htown kid had the puck)...STA student body creatively chanted "ice is slippery". :roll: caused a convenient turnover and advantage down the rink. BUT, congrats STA for chasing trophies...Hermantown's students should've did some recon and started naming the cities, states your recruits came from. Enjoyed the "USA" chant for some kid, heard it last year also...maybe someone from STA can fill us peasants in? I know we're all from MN, not sure about the STA kids... oh, and down 3-1..."Jesus still loves us" ...clever, actually better then Plante's presser.

You should spend some more time around the X and listen to STA (such a classy group of people... :roll: ) I've heard enough over last three years from student body, 60 yr old parents in the elevator, STA players sitting behind me @AA games to understand why they are not liked. It's not just because they are trophy chasers in Single A.
WB6162

Post by WB6162 »

One last A tourney for STA to bastardize. Now lets hope that Breck steps up and goes AA.
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

lumberjackhockey wrote:
MnMike#1 wrote:I applaud all of our fine Minnesota students that participate in high school sports.
I especially applaud those members of a program(faculty, students and parents) that when given the opportunity to descend to an easier bracket because of their enrollment, chose to stay in the tougher bracket and compete with the more stiff competition. There have been many examples of this throughout the state.
Unfortunately, STA has chosen to remain in the single A bracket (BECAUSE THEY COULD).
A deciding factor can't be due to how many times they make the tournaments as students are continually graduating.
However, STA's unique advantages slip through the cracks of criteria considered by the MSHSL.
I guess the message to STA is "BETTER LATE THEN NEVER".
I really respect Roseau's program. I played them growing up all my life, and watched them win the state tournament in AA my senior year. With an enrollment of 374 they are half the size of most A schools and would be at the state tournament every single year if they opted to move down. STA should have followed suit long ago...
I believe, at the least, trf, warroad, and egf, would have something to say about that.
Awil95

Post by Awil95 »

WB6162 wrote:One last A tourney for STA to bastardize. Now lets hope that Breck steps up and goes AA.
Why so hermantown can win without a doubt . Breck won third place it looks like breck may be the only. Team out there who could put a scare in hermantowns step. People are forgetting that Hermantown has been on the state title game 4 times in a row and if that's not trophy chasing I don't know what is . The only difference is they have lost and sta has won . Some people don't also realize that some kids go to private schools and get this actually pay their own tuition and go there not because there recruited but because there school system sucks where they would go to high school.
To me it's a double standard that no one is seeing because they hate private schools .what if sta lost all three years and hermantown won all three years would everyone be bashing them for trophy chasing ? NO because thy arnt private .
WB6162

Post by WB6162 »

Awil95 wrote:
WB6162 wrote:One last A tourney for STA to bastardize. Now lets hope that Breck steps up and goes AA.
Why so hermantown can win without a doubt . Breck won third place it looks like breck may be the only. Team out there who could put a scare in hermantowns step. People are forgetting that Hermantown has been on the state title game 4 times in a row and if that's not trophy chasing I don't know what is . The only difference is they have lost and sta has won . Some people don't also realize that some kids go to private schools and get this actually pay their own tuition and go there not because there recruited but because there school system sucks where they would go to high school.
To me it's a double standard that no one is seeing because they hate private schools .what if sta lost all three years and hermantown won all three years would everyone be bashing them for trophy chasing ? NO because thy arnt private .
The Class A was DESIGNED for small schools and mostly small towns. STA is not a town. They are loaded with players who grew up in associations like Woodbury and Stillwater and others playing against AA players.

How can you not see what they have done to HS hockey? Look at what they did to St Cloud Apollo. An absolute sham.

Hermantown is at least a TOWN.
sagard

Post by sagard »

Awil95 wrote:....People are forgetting that Hermantown has been on the state title game 4 times in a row and if that's not trophy chasing I don't know what is . The only difference is they have lost and sta has won . Some people don't also realize that some kids go to private schools and get this actually pay their own tuition and go there not because there recruited but because there school system sucks where they would go to high school....
Totino/Breck/Blake/Lourdes/Marshall/etc.. will step up and fill St. Thomas void. There will still be a private school in the "A" championship game every year. And of course hundreds of kids choose to go to private schools without scholarships due to education choices, they just don't typically have the option of playing varsity hockey anymore.

With STA moving to 3AA, it is going to much harder for Eagan/Apple Valley/Eastview/Hastings/Woodbury to make a run and get to state. STA will simply be another Hill, and make state at least 75% percent of the time.
RRubberbeeskit

Post by RRubberbeeskit »

Nostalgic Nerd wrote:Until Hermantown fans accept that this is now their third final blowing a lead, I don't know what else to say.
Nerd, you could say Its time to allow recruiting at class A public schools for choir, speech, mathmasters ect. As many of these class A schools are just a student or so away from being powerhouses in the above activities. Most don't even have hockey. Imagine Ada Borup High school taking on STA in Choir with an even playing field. :wink:
Awil95

Post by Awil95 »

sagard wrote:
Awil95 wrote:....People are forgetting that Hermantown has been on the state title game 4 times in a row and if that's not trophy chasing I don't know what is . The only difference is they have lost and sta has won . Some people don't also realize that some kids go to private schools and get this actually pay their own tuition and go there not because there recruited but because there school system sucks where they would go to high school....
Totino/Breck/Blake/Lourdes/Marshall/etc.. will step up and fill St. Thomas void. There will still be a private school in the "A" championship game every year. And of course hundreds of kids choose to go to private schools without scholarships due to education choices, they just don't typically have the option of playing varsity hockey anymore.

With STA moving to 3AA, it is going to much harder for Eagan/Apple Valley/Eastview/Hastings/Woodbury to make a run and get to state. STA will simply be another Hill, and make state at least 75% percent of the time.
I see your point you make . I understand that as a student at a private school that is a jv practice player all I hear from kids at my old school that went to private elmentary school with me is how privates are daddies money and it really gets me going .
rex123

Hermantown is a suburb of Duluth

Post by rex123 »

Hermantown is not a town, it is a suburb of Duluth. Less then 10 minutes form downtown. It was even on the map until 1975. I get tired of them playing the small town card.
WB6162 wrote:
Awil95 wrote:
The Class A was DESIGNED for small schools and mostly small towns. STA is not a town. They are loaded with players who grew up in associations like Woodbury and Stillwater and others playing against AA players.

How can you not see what they have done to HS hockey? Look at what they did to St Cloud Apollo. An absolute sham.

Hermantown is at least a TOWN.