Class A Championship: Hermantown vs. STA

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Can the Hawks pull it off?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 20

defense

Post by defense »

The state will run everything on a standard, as government tries to do generally. Therefore, they don't take into account that private schools can recruit and admit any students they wish.
I will repeat that I am part of the very few who thinks that if you are going to be " champions" you have to beat the best. The few who does not care if STA is in class A.

That said, and very much contrary to my stance on STA in class A, I personally do not think a private school who can have the advantage of any division1 college and more has any place in a league with a public school...I however have accepted the fact that the private schools will be here.
The team from my alma mater, a public school got knocked out in the semissions by both BSM championship teams,in the semis by T-Gs champ, in the quarters by a Breck champ... I never thought ill of those teams for playing in class a, I thought ill of my classmates or fellow students because I thought they could win and didn't leave it all out there..honestly...
So I ask this: when Hermantown wins the class A championship next year with the only team better than than them out of the league will it not be tarnished? The only way they could win was to rid the league of the only team better.......
Repeat, I am not a fan of the private school.....
ps: Warroad was also supposed to move up where they belong when they were dominating.... if Hermantown wins 3 of the last four even... would we have a different opinion???? Do not forget that they did win a title, and have been in four straight title games....
Let the complaining stop already...
Lazy Scout

Post by Lazy Scout »

So Hermantown has been in the state championship 4 years in a row, why isn't it time for them to move to AA? Some of the other smaller A schools could complain just as easily about Hermantown as STA. You can't tell me that they don't get players from Duluth East or Denfeld into their program. Hermantown had every chance to win this game leading 4-2. So Hermantown blew a lead it is STA's fault? There is no loyalty in high school hockey anymore. Those days are long gone, public or private. There are many kids playing for public high schools now that did NOT grow up playing in their public schools youth association. Strong high school hockey programs attract talented players regardless of public or private, class A or AA. You can't argue that point.
HawkeyPower

Re: Hermantown is a suburb of Duluth

Post by HawkeyPower »

[quote="rex123"]Hermantown is not a town, it is a suburb of Duluth. Less then 10 minutes form downtown. It was even on the map until 1975. I get tired of them playing the small town card.

The funny thing is our Mayor has a Business card that says" Wayne Boucher, Mayor of a Suburb 10 miles from downtown Duluth.
Northhcky

Post by Northhcky »

[quote="rex123"]Hermantown is not a town, it is a suburb of Duluth. Less then 10 minutes form downtown. It was even on the map until 1975. I get tired of them playing the small town card.

You are wrong. Hermantown is a town...well a city...the City of Hermantown. It is not a suburb of Duluth and has nothing to do with Duluth. It wasn't on the map before because it was not a city. It was more of a township that had then and has now it's own schools. Its own street dept, fire dept, public works, police etc. They are not playing the "small town card" they are a small town that just happens to be next to Duluth. Just like Mpls/St Paul. Or are they the same town too?
rex123

Post by rex123 »

How long does it take to get from Hermantown to Duluth; 5 - 10 minutes maybe? Hermantown is the Edina of Duluth!
Northhcky wrote:
rex123 wrote:Hermantown is not a town, it is a suburb of Duluth. Less then 10 minutes form downtown. It was even on the map until 1975. I get tired of them playing the small town card.

You are wrong. Hermantown is a town...well a city...the City of Hermantown. It is not a suburb of Duluth and has nothing to do with Duluth. It wasn't on the map before because it was not a city. It was more of a township that had then and has now it's own schools. Its own street dept, fire dept, public works, police etc. They are not playing the "small town card" they are a small town that just happens to be next to Duluth. Just like Mpls/St Paul. Or are they the same town too?
rex123

Post by rex123 »

Well then, I guess; Edina, Lakeville, Wayzata, Eagan are just smalltowns as well. They should all play in the small town tourney then, send to them all to class A.

Hermantown is a suburb of Duluth and it's hockey program has all the advantages of large city. It's youth hockey program is one of the largest (and best run) in the state. 12 mite teams this year!

Hermantown fans need to stop whinning and making excuses.

Northhcky wrote:
rex123 wrote:Hermantown is not a town, it is a suburb of Duluth. Less then 10 minutes form downtown. It was even on the map until 1975. I get tired of them playing the small town card.

Northhcky

Post by Northhcky »

[quote="Lazy Scout"]So Hermantown has been in the state championship 4 years in a row, why isn't it time for them to move to AA? Some of the other smaller A schools could complain just as easily about Hermantown as STA. You can't tell me that they don't get players from Duluth East or Denfeld into their program. Hermantown had every chance to win this game leading 4-2. So Hermantown blew a lead it is STA's fault? There is no loyalty in high school hockey anymore. Those days are long gone, public or private. There are many kids playing for public high schools now that did NOT grow up playing in their public schools youth association. Strong high school hockey programs attract talented players regardless of public or private, class A or AA. You can't argue that point.[/quot

If Hermantown has any players on their team that are from East "doubtful" or Denfeld then their familys moved to Hermantown. There is no open enrollment at Hermantown. It was open a few years ago but they had to close it when the Duluth schools were going through the restructuring.."RedPlan" they are above capacity now and are proposing new schools this fall.
defense

Post by defense »

Bottom line: Hermantown is a quickly growing area, and is like a " suburb of Duluth. They have done extremely well, and will likely continue to do very well for some time. They do have the advantage of a suburb: a lot of young families and rising enrollment. Honest to God it has to be considered a dominant program period. The Hermantown people really should look around and quit whining poor little me, because u are not poor or little ..and u r right on that line between class A programs and AA programs. Not the quintessential class A team you think you are.
lumberjackhockey

Post by lumberjackhockey »

Crimson Live wrote:
lumberjackhockey wrote:
MnMike#1 wrote:I applaud all of our fine Minnesota students that participate in high school sports.
I especially applaud those members of a program(faculty, students and parents) that when given the opportunity to descend to an easier bracket because of their enrollment, chose to stay in the tougher bracket and compete with the more stiff competition. There have been many examples of this throughout the state.
Unfortunately, STA has chosen to remain in the single A bracket (BECAUSE THEY COULD).
A deciding factor can't be due to how many times they make the tournaments as students are continually graduating.
However, STA's unique advantages slip through the cracks of criteria considered by the MSHSL.
I guess the message to STA is "BETTER LATE THEN NEVER".

I really respect Roseau's program. I played them growing up all my life, and watched them win the state tournament in AA my senior year. With an enrollment of 374 they are half the size of most A schools and would be at the state tournament every single year if they opted to move down. STA should have followed suit long ago...
You believe Roseau would make it through Warroad EGF and TRF every year?
Yeah I do, and if you don't you have not watched enough Northern Minnesota hockey. EGF has always been BRUTAL until just recently I played all those teams growing up. I admit Roseau has been in a slump the last couple years. But from about 2003-2008 look at their regular season schedule and the scores against those teams. Everyone talks about the deep rivalry between Warroad and Roseau, yeah maybe historically but in recent years the game is not even fun to watch, it is a blow out.
DekeDangler

Post by DekeDangler »

[quote="lumberjackhockey"][quote="Crimson Live"][quote="lumberjackhockey"][quote="MnMike#1"]I applaud all of our fine Minnesota students that participate in high school sports.
[b]I especially applaud those members of a program(faculty, students and parents) that when given the opportunity to descend to an easier bracket because of their enrollment, chose to stay in the tougher bracket and compete with the more stiff competition. There have been many examples of this throughout the state.[/b]
Unfortunately, STA has chosen to remain in the single A bracket (BECAUSE THEY COULD).
A deciding factor can't be due to how many times they make the tournaments as students are continually graduating.
However, STA's unique advantages slip through the cracks of criteria considered by the MSHSL.
I guess the message to STA is "BETTER LATE THEN NEVER".[/quote]

I really respect Roseau's program. I played them growing up all my life, and watched them win the state tournament in AA my senior year. With an enrollment of 374 they are half the size of most A schools and would be at the state tournament every single year if they opted to move down. STA should have followed suit long ago...[/quote]

You believe Roseau would make it through Warroad EGF and TRF every year?[/quote]
Yeah I do, and if you don't you have not watched enough Northern Minnesota hockey. EGF has always been BRUTAL until just recently I played all those teams growing up. I admit Roseau has been in a slump the last couple years. But from about 2003-2008 look at their regular season schedule and the scores against those teams. Everyone talks about the deep rivalry between Warroad and Roseau, yeah maybe historically but in recent years the game is not even fun to watch, it is a blow out.[/quote]

BRUTAL? just curious, brutal in what way? Coaching or players?
codemanh

Post by codemanh »

lumberjackhockey wrote:
Crimson Live wrote:
lumberjackhockey wrote:
I really respect Roseau's program. I played them growing up all my life, and watched them win the state tournament in AA my senior year. With an enrollment of 374 they are half the size of most A schools and would be at the state tournament every single year if they opted to move down. STA should have followed suit long ago...
Yeah I do, and if you don't you have not watched enough Northern Minnesota hockey. EGF has always been BRUTAL until just recently I played all those teams growing up. I admit Roseau has been in a slump the last couple years. But from about 2003-2008 look at their regular season schedule and the scores against those teams. Everyone talks about the deep rivalry between Warroad and Roseau, yeah maybe historically but in recent years the game is not even fun to watch, it is a blow out.
Warroad lost the last 2 meeting, but they won the 3 years before that. You can't say they've recently been blowouts if they've gone 2-3 the last 5 years...
northfan

Post by northfan »

lumberjackhockey wrote:
Crimson Live wrote:
lumberjackhockey wrote:
Yeah I do, and if you don't you have not watched enough Northern Minnesota hockey. EGF has always been BRUTAL until just recently I played all those teams growing up. I admit Roseau has been in a slump the last couple years. But from about 2003-2008 look at their regular season schedule and the scores against those teams. Everyone talks about the deep rivalry between Warroad and Roseau, yeah maybe historically but in recent years the game is not even fun to watch, it is a
blow out.
Roseau and Warroad are 8-8 the last 8 seasons what do you mean by recent years?
hockey1214

Post by hockey1214 »

defense wrote:Bottom line: Hermantown is a quickly growing area, and is like a " suburb of Duluth. They have done extremely well, and will likely continue to do very well for some time. They do have the advantage of a suburb: a lot of young families and rising enrollment. Honest to God it has to be considered a dominant program period. The Hermantown people really should look around and quit whining poor little me, because u are not poor or little ..and u r right on that line between class A programs and AA programs. Not the quintessential class A team you think you are.
What are you talking about??? Hermantown was the second smallest non-private school in the tournament. In fact, STA nearly doubles them in enrollment size. Considering they are all boys at that school, that's what, four times the enrollment Hermantown has? So yes, I would have to say Hermantown is probably about as quintessential class A as you can get. They are still a smaller sized school no matter how you shake it. You can point out there 12 mite teams all you want but as I mentioned before, the mites are not trying out for varsity this year! They had 38 kids try out, and made a pretty darn good team with what they had. I don't think any Hermantown player/parent/fan/ has ever complained or whined about being small or not having numbers. It is fact, there are 9,000 people in Hermantown. Nobody is complaining - you may be taking people talking about a small community doing big things as whining about numbers, but I assure you that is not the case. No, it is nothing like a suburb type deal in Hermantown. It might be "suburban" living compared to Duluth, but a suburb is Edina (population 50,000), Minnetonka (population 50,000), Bloomington (population 80,000) - not 9,000. Before you bash the program I wish you knew just what Hermantown could be if Bruce Plante was an as*hole. For many years now he has gotten emails, letters, and phone calls from parents wanting to move their kid into the district just to play hockey (and if you saw his press conference he talks about this). Instead of taking these kids in and powering up, he tells the parents not to come. He says that they need to stay in their own district and make their community proud.
defense

Post by defense »

Not really sure when I bashed the program...
not really sure how whining about STA, and blaming their being a private school for being 2 nd best for 3 years running isn't having self pitty...
All I did was bash the people who think STA made it impossible for anyone else to win a title.
If anything I was telling Hermantown that hell yes your team is great, and you could compete in aa so quit whining about STA...
Red Ice

Post by Red Ice »

DekeDangler wrote:
lumberjackhockey wrote:
Crimson Live wrote: You believe Roseau would make it through Warroad EGF and TRF every year?

BRUTAL? just curious, brutal in what way? Coaching or players?
Roseau was in class A for 5 years and never made it to State. So it is no guarantee they would be in every year.

My main reason for going to 1 class 16 team tourney. Old section 8 would be an amazing tourney. Best high school arena in the state, TRF, right in the middle to host. Moorhead, Roseau, Warroad, EGF, TRF, Brainerd, Bemidji, etc.
cooperalls4ever

Post by cooperalls4ever »

rex123 wrote:<B>How long does it take to get from Hermantown to Duluth; 5 - 10 minutes maybe? Hermantown is the Edina of Duluth!</B>
Northhcky wrote:

Poposterous statement of the year "Hermantown is the Edina of Duluth" 8)

I'll correct this for you: Duluth East is the Edina of Duluth.

Hermantown IS a small town (or officially a City) 9,000-10,000 residents which was declared a city in 1976, used to be a Township or Town. Just to compare, Eden Prairie HIGH SCHOOL is 1/3 of the whole City of Hermantown... stop the suburb of a big City... Duluth isn't even a big city as it's smaller or very close to the same population (85,000) as many Mpls/St. Paul "suburbs".
clojacks1

Post by clojacks1 »

First, I am not opposed to Hermantown being in Single A, because their enrollment would place them there. BUT, before everyone places them on some kind of pedestal for competing so valiantly against the dreaded STA and other Single A privates, remember that Duluth East is the ONLY school in the NE that truly is of AA size, both Cloquet (-Esko-Carlton) and Grand Rapids technically are Single A schools opting to play up. What happens to Hermantown in Single A if either CEC or GR OR BOTH move back to single A where they qualify?? Just saying.....
hshockeyfan53

Post by hshockeyfan53 »

Hermantown has beaten Rapids 4 out of the last 5 seasons. They would be just fine.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

clojacks1 wrote:First, I am not opposed to Hermantown being in Single A, because their enrollment would place them there. BUT, before everyone places them on some kind of pedestal for competing so valiantly against the dreaded STA and other Single A privates, remember that Duluth East is the ONLY school in the NE that truly is of AA size, both Cloquet (-Esko-Carlton) and Grand Rapids technically are Single A schools opting to play up. What happens to Hermantown in Single A if either CEC or GR OR BOTH move back to single A where they qualify?? Just saying.....
Cloquet should move back to A this year and be placed in section 5A.
ILTG

Post by ILTG »

hshockeyfan53 wrote:Hermantown has beaten Rapids 4 out of the last 5 seasons. They would be just fine.
Doesn't this pretty much sum up where they should be playing? Unless your saying GR should be A too?
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

ILTG wrote:
hshockeyfan53 wrote:Hermantown has beaten Rapids 4 out of the last 5 seasons. They would be just fine.
Doesn't this pretty much sum up where they should be playing? Unless your saying GR should be A too?
Stick Rapids in 6A to knock out SCC.
I know it's along way away but who cares.
I would love to see EGF, TRF, Warroad, Roseau, GR, Cloquet, Herm or any other public school that qualifies for A in the Class A tourney beating Break, Sta, Totino, Lourdes, etc.

I think the days of seeing a GR, Cloquet or Roseau winning AA state are over. Probably rarely if ever even get to the semi's.
AA has been taken over by the Metro Privates and the Mega Publics.

Lets have a have a Roseau vs GR class A final at state.
I may just go to that.
hockeymannorth

Post by hockeymannorth »

Vannelli's are a joke you have Alumi out paying kids to come play.He plays mostly AA teams because they know A schools can't compete with a recuited team.He even took off his medal before his interview because he knows its a joke and everyone in hockey circles knows it a joke! He made his players a joke
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

No more talk about the game, eh? Since nothing more of value is being contributed...

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006