Mr. Hockey 2014

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

buttend

Post by buttend »

OneMoreYear wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:Any new candidates based on Elite League performance? I think a bunch who've already been mentioned (Sheehy, Slattery, Naas, Spinner, Brown, Cline, Snuggerud) seemed to do just fine, but what do you think about Munson, Panvica, Lau, or Notermann?

I gotta say, Sheehy seems to be the guy to beat now, but his team's play will likely have an impact on his chances. Snuggerud seemed to separate himself from the other defensemen a bit too.
Won't be Sheehy if rumor from last night is true. Not at Team SE practice and won't play in Elite playoffs. Headed to play for U18 team this weekend and then to Waterloo and won't be coming back. Can anyone confirm this?
Its still the rumor today. Sounds like he is gone.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

buttend wrote:
OneMoreYear wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:Any new candidates based on Elite League performance? I think a bunch who've already been mentioned (Sheehy, Slattery, Naas, Spinner, Brown, Cline, Snuggerud) seemed to do just fine, but what do you think about Munson, Panvica, Lau, or Notermann?

I gotta say, Sheehy seems to be the guy to beat now, but his team's play will likely have an impact on his chances. Snuggerud seemed to separate himself from the other defensemen a bit too.
Won't be Sheehy if rumor from last night is true. Not at Team SE practice and won't play in Elite playoffs. Headed to play for U18 team this weekend and then to Waterloo and won't be coming back. Can anyone confirm this?

Its still the rumor today. Sounds like he is gone.
Why Waterloo now? It doesn't make sense. He could have done that a month ago.
Maybe like last year when Hurley got called to the U18 from Elite and came back to high school.
pioneers

Post by pioneers »

Checked with a very reliable source, and it was confirmed that this is true.
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

pioneers wrote:Checked with a very reliable source, and it was confirmed that this is true.
From Western College Hockey blog:

"Tyler Sheehy Opts For USHL Over Final High School Season

By Chris Dilks @ChrisDilks on Oct 25 2013, 10:54a +
Sheehy, in Elite League action this fall. - Matt Christians

The potential draft pick and Mr. Hockey front-runner won't play for Burnsville this year.

Speculation swirled all summer about whether Tyler Sheehy, a forward from Burnsville High School in Minnesota, would return to the Blaze for his senior season or opt to play for the Waterloo Blackhawks of the USHL. Sheehy ultimately decided to stay in Minnesota, but now, after a strong Elite League season, sources have told SBN College Hockey that Sheehy will forgo his final season of high school hockey to play for the Blackhawks. He will skate this weekend with the US NTDP U18 team when they take on the Fargo Force of the USHL, and play an exhibition game against North Dakota. Starting next week, he will transfer to a high school in Iowa and play the rest of the year in Waterloo.

Sheehy, a late '95-born birthdate, came into the fall projected as the top high school senior in the state of Minnesota, and only increased that reputation with a dominating performance in the Upper Midwest Elite League. He put up 21 goals and 33 points during the league's regular season, which were both tops in the league.

He was at one time committed to Ohio State, but chose to re-open his recruitment this past summer after the Buckeyes fired head coach, and Burnsville hockey legend, Mark Osiecki. Sheehy is also on the radar for this summer's NHL Draft. Sheehy was given a 'B' rating in NHL Central Scouting's preliminary rankings, and has improved his draft stock with a strong Elite League season.

Sheehy also would have been the runaway favorite to take home Minnesota's Mr. Hockey Award, presented annually to the state's top high school player. His departure leaves the field wide open, but also looking like one of the weakest Mr. Hockey classes the state has seen in some time.
"

I bold that last statement to ask the bored: True? Weakest Mr. Hockey class??? There have been a lot of disappointing departures.

This is the first one where I actually said out loud, "That's crazy." Why not wait 5 months to make the jump? Is Waterloo going to be gone by April 2014, or what? Is Burnsville that hopeless against Edina???
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Shinbone_News wrote:I bold that last statement to ask the bored: True? Weakest Mr. Hockey class??? There have been a lot of disappointing departures.
Weak as in thin? Yes. The winner probably won't be considered a top end player either, but it's difficult to tell at this point in the season. It's easier to tell in retrospect too.

Slattery and Snuggerud are the top forward and defenseman, IMHO. Both are B rated skaters for the 2014 NHL draft. Pro scouts' opinions are weighted heavily in the selection process.

Here's who could have been up for the award this year...

Jack Glover
Ryan Collins
Tyler Sheehy
Jack Ramsey
Austin Poganski
Avery Peterson
Connor Hurley
Hunter Warner
Teemu Kivihalme
Jack Dougherty
Neal Pionk

Any one of these guys would have been a lock for the top ten and a favorite to win the award. C'est la vie
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

To clarify, Avery Peterson is playing HS hockey this winter, and given his presence, I certainly don't agree that Sheehy would have been a "runaway favorite" for Mr. Hockey.

That said, I'll agree that the winner probably won't be a 1st or 2nd round pick. If that's what we mean by "weak," I'd agree.
ShinboneNews wrote:Is Burnsville that hopeless against Edina???
With Sheehy, they could easily have beaten the Hornets. My early messing around with preseason rankings had those two teams right next to each other. Now, on the other hand...we'll see.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

karl(east) wrote:To clarify, Avery Peterson is playing HS hockey this winter, and given his presence, I certainly don't agree that Sheehy would have been a "runaway favorite" for Mr. Hockey.
Really? I hadn't seen that confirmed. I'll take him off the list if you're positive he's coming back.

EDIT: Never mind, I just saw the confirmation. One favorite leaves and another returns to take his place!
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

The Exiled One wrote:
karl(east) wrote:To clarify, Avery Peterson is playing HS hockey this winter, and given his presence, I certainly don't agree that Sheehy would have been a "runaway favorite" for Mr. Hockey.
Really? I hadn't seen that confirmed. I'll take him off the list if you're positive he's coming back.
I guess I can't say I'm "positive," but the Hockey Hub people and the Grand Rapids people sure seem to be acting as if he is.

From the "who's not returning" thread:
norcon wrote:Have heard from a very good source that Avery Peterson will be back for his senior season. Plans to play at Sioux City this fall and next spring.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/high-sc ... watch-list

Code: Select all

1.  F - Avery Peterson  - Grand Rapids            Nebraska-Omaha
2.  F - Mitch Slattery  - Hill-Murray             St. Cloud State
3.  F - Steve Spinner   - Eden Prairie            Nebraska-Omaha
4.  F - Spencer Naas    - Benilde-St. Margaret's
5.  D - Luc Snuggerud   - Eden Prairie            Nebraska-Omaha
6.  D - Nick Wolff      - Eagan
7.  D - Mitch Reinke    - Stillwater              Michigan Tech
8.  F - Tyler Nanne     - Edina
9.  D - Travis Brown    - Rogers                  Michigan Tech
10. F - Zach Yon        - Roseau
Seems like there's a good chance that Mr. Hockey might be a UNO or MTU recruit, which would be a first for either school.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Assuming that he's staying at EP and is just doing a short preseason stint with Muskegon, Snuggerud may have just helped his preseason Mr. Hockey stock quite a bit.

http://www.ushl.com/news.php?action=detail&news_id=2109

Three points and a +3 in three games... not bad.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Same with Spinner. 2g 1a in 3 games. But from the looks of this they are both coming back. Both already listed as inactive (if that makes any difference).

http://ushl2011.stats.pointstreak.com/t ... onid=11221
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

SuperStar wrote:Same with Spinner. 2g 1a in 3 games. But from the looks of this they are both coming back. Both already listed as inactive (if that makes any difference).

http://ushl2011.stats.pointstreak.com/t ... onid=11221
Very impressive. EP will definitely be a top-tier team this season with those two leading the way.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

Why isn't Phil Beaulieu from DE being mentioned? D1 recruit, one of the best D-men in the state, and four years on varsity for some very good East teams.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Slammer wrote:Why isn't Phil Beaulieu from DE being mentioned? D1 recruit, one of the best D-men in the state, and four years on varsity for some very good East teams.
He could definitely be in the mix. Has he committed somewhere, or are you just insinuating that he is receiving offers?
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

The Exiled One wrote:
Slammer wrote:Why isn't Phil Beaulieu from DE being mentioned? D1 recruit, one of the best D-men in the state, and four years on varsity for some very good East teams.
He could definitely be in the mix. Has he committed somewhere, or are you just insinuating that he is receiving offers?
He has received multiple D1 offers according to my knowledge. No commit yet though.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Slammer wrote:He has received multiple D1 offers according to my knowledge. No commit yet though.
As the top defenseman for a traditionally strong AA program, he's got more in common with Snuggerud and Wolff than Brown and Reinke (from the SBN list I posted earlier). He doesn't have the prototypical pro size like any of those four, which could work against him, but other Mr. Hockey winners have overcome that in the past. Yeah, I'd definitely say he's in the mix.

I'm curious to know which college teams are in the mix for him. Unless he ends up winning the Mr. Hockey award (and even if he does), he'll almost certainly play a full year of juniors before moving to D1. That makes him a viable target for almost any program.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Interesting development: https://twitter.com/USHLHockeyOps/statu ... 6028570625
outside_observer

Post by outside_observer »

karl(east) wrote: With Sheehy, they could easily have beaten the Hornets. My early messing around with preseason rankings had those two teams right next to each other. Now, on the other hand...we'll see.
Hmmm, no.
No goaltending, no D, Coach is 0-11 lifetime vs The Hornets.
agreatdayforhockey

Post by agreatdayforhockey »

Mid-season thoughts?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

agreatdayforhockey wrote:Mid-season thoughts?
I would say at this point between Snuggerud, Spinner and Avery Peterson.

I would say Snuggerud is the front runner.
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

Spencer Naas
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Brett Gravelle Forest lake should be in the mix !!!
headshackers

Post by headshackers »

"I would say at this point between Snuggerud, Spinner and Avery Peterson.

I would say Snuggerud is the front runner."

I guess you would have to consider Munson and Fidler if Spinner, Avery and Snuggerud are the front runners. They outplayed and outscored these guys all weekend. Not to mention Edina's schedule is probably twice as difficult.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

How is Mr. Hockey determined?
Tenoverpar

c

Post by Tenoverpar »

My Merry X-mas Mr Hockey thoughts:

1. Jake Wahlin..White Bear Lake...kids tearing it up with 17 goals and 13 assists in 9 games. He's doing exactly what he should do being the most dynamic scorer east of the Mississippi BUT NOT ELIGIBLE ONLY A JUNIOR

2. Spinner..EP..everyone loves Snuggerud but personally I think as Spinner goes is as EP goes..kids a gamer

3. Slattery..HILL...we all know Hill is only as good as the STillwater imports they have, but this year may be an exception. Joey Anderson will have to wait his turn..Slatts is the guy (shout out to Sharp, Yancek, Kreuger..go Ponies!)

4. Cline..Blaine...small, gritty kid leading a very very good Blaine team, belongs in the conversation at least.

5. Snuggerud..he has to go on here and frankly he may be Mr Hockey, probably is.

6. Fidler/Munson..Edina. The Hornets have never had a Mr. Hockey..if the award goes to the best player on the "best" team..these two will have to be considered. Does Grampa Nanne get a vote in this?

7. Gravelle..FLAKE...kids have a great year leading an up and coming work horse team. He's got good numbers and is THE guy..Mr Hockey maybe not, but Most Valuable Player..possibly[/b]
Last edited by Tenoverpar on Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.