Goal Celebrations

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

sparty

Post by sparty »

Since you mentioned it, the one-knee slide Hill-Murray celebrations annoyed me this year. I saw it a couple times by Hill this year. After the final on Saturday, the only one-knee they took was the one of defeat. Karma.
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

thestickler07 wrote:
BlueLineSpecial wrote:Sounds like you're not a stickler for being humble

GOODNIGHT FOLKS!
No just never let the actions of others bug me as much as some others do. shrug

Never said it was the route I would've taken, but to each his own. Some kid from Edina sliding his hand on the ice isn't going to ruin my day.
Just havin a little fun. Certainly doesn't ruin my day, I'm just an old school kinda guy. Times they are a changin. I never gave one seconds thought to how I would celebrate a goal, and mind you I graduated in '97. Never once crossed my mind. Apparently thats on the minds of these kids. All good and will never change my love for high school hockey.
Hockey102

Post by Hockey102 »

Way to much of ME.. How about finding the guy that passed you the puck!!!
JCarlson

Post by JCarlson »

Hockey has always been a sport where celebrations were done with your teammates. Class. The individual "look-at-me" crap resurfaced a little when Ovechkin started acting supid. He quickly reigned it in when Don Cherry ripped him. It's just not like soccer and football and basketball guys. Hockey is the ultimate team sport and the youth should follow the pros in this regard....I watch a lot of NHL hockey and I will tell you for the most part, guys come together and celebrte together grinning ear to ear. that's how it should be.

The STA brats? What a bunch of cocky little boys. Tuggin' on the sweater and all. Did you see Hermantown after each goal? Come together right away as a group. Classy and enjoying every second.
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

meh...

In the late 70s to early 80s, it was the high-stepping with the double fist pump after a goal that got the curmudgeons all bent about the "excessive" goal celebration.

SSDD.

Eventually, someone will come up with a new goal celebration move that will get mimicked to the point that it becomes old hat, and the curmudgeons will complain about that too.

When they start dancing around a-la jackasses like Chad Johnson, come get me...Until then, I'm content to just let excitable high school kids be excitable high school kids.
Buy ya a soda after the game!
JCarlson

Post by JCarlson »

Don't know what the abbreviations mean ogie....guess I'm not as savvy as a poster with time for 290 comments. Wow.

Yeah you and many others can write it off as kids being kids and in fact that's probably what it is. But sometimes I look at these priviledged kids nowadays and see what Chris Hedges calls "the cult of the self".

#-o
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

290 comments (oops, 291) in three years hardly makes me or anyone else a message board post whore with no life.

As far as abbreviations and acronyms go, I'm certain Google works as well for you as it does at my end.

As to the topic, I'm good with letting kids be kids...Especially given the fact that tournaments like this are the last time that 99% of them will ever play in any games of this intensity and championship consequence.
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

BlueLineSpecial wrote:
oldschoolpuckster wrote:
thestickler07 wrote:Stop being a bunch of wet blankets.

Let the kids do what they want.
Totally agree. They are not celly'ing for the "fans" approval. Their teammates all do it too. (and think it's cool) I don't see any of them complaining... And yes, the guy's in the NHL, College, Juniors do it to (where do you think the kids got the idea from???????) Time to evolve as a fan. The "good 'ol days" are gone and not coming back.
Really? I won't say I watch college and the pros every day, but I have never once seen a college or pro sliding down the length of the ice on one knee mopping the ice with one of their hands. I see them do a little pump here and there, but not to this level.

Whatever, guess I'm in the minority that doesn't like all the celebrating that goes with sports these days. I guess I just miss those good ol days where you kept your head down and your mouth shut
8)
Rau does every time. Not the length of the ice, but he does it.

I think it's ridiculous there too.
meridian90

Post by meridian90 »

Ogie wrote:As to the topic, I'm good with letting kids be kids...Especially given the fact that tournaments like this are the last time that 99% of them will ever play in any games of this intensity and championship consequence.
Maybe I'm old and curmudgeonly now, but since when is part of being a kid being self absorbed and obsessed with yourself? I feel like being a kid was more about trying to figure things out, not act like you already have it all figured out.

My problem with the celebrations is that hockey is the only sport (specifically in high school) where there are no repercussions for excessive celebrations. In football, it's a 15 yard penalty. In basketball, it's a technical foul.

Don't get me wrong, you should be able to celebrate a goal, but celebrate it with your teammates and not yourself. Make it seem like your there at least a little bit to be part of a team and not there to advertise your own "brand"

PS. great goals are exciting to watch. Some kid skating around acting like he is god's gift to hockey is not impressive at all.
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

meridian90 wrote:
Ogie wrote:As to the topic, I'm good with letting kids be kids...Especially given the fact that tournaments like this are the last time that 99% of them will ever play in any games of this intensity and championship consequence.
Maybe I'm old and curmudgeonly now, but since when is part of being a kid being self absorbed and obsessed with yourself? I feel like being a kid was more about trying to figure things out, not act like you already have it all figured out.
Wow...You sure you were ever a kid? :lol:
meridian90

Post by meridian90 »

Ogie wrote:
meridian90 wrote:
maybe i was raised different I guess. But it was pretty well hammered home that I wasn't that special, and needed to work for the things I managed to accomplish.

Things must have changed in the last 10 years.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Ogie wrote:meh...

In the late 70s to early 80s, it was the high-stepping with the double fist pump after a goal that got the curmudgeons all bent about the.....
Hogwash. There is no comparison in the level contempt for celebrations between then and now. Im resigned to the fact they're here to stay so I don't personally comment, but no fans didn't comment as negatively back in the day because they were far less about, "me".
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

meridian90 wrote:
Ogie wrote:
meridian90 wrote: Maybe I'm old and curmudgeonly now, but since when is part of being a kid being self absorbed and obsessed with yourself? I feel like being a kid was more about trying to figure things out, not act like you already have it all figured out.
maybe i was raised different I guess. But it was pretty well hammered home that I wasn't that special, and needed to work for the things I managed to accomplish.

Who doesn't have to work damned hard for the things that they've accomplished, at the level we're talking about here?
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

Slap Shot wrote:
Ogie wrote:meh...

In the late 70s to early 80s, it was the high-stepping with the double fist pump after a goal that got the curmudgeons all bent about the.....
Hogwash. There is no comparison in the level contempt for celebrations between then and now. Im resigned to the fact they're here to stay so I don't personally comment, but no fans didn't comment as negatively back in the day because they were far less about, "me".
You're right...No comparison.

There were no interweb message boards back then, that let the haters hate so freely and easily.
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

Y'know what?

The current rage for the "SCOOOORE" celebration looks an awful lot like a combination of the Goldie shuffle (and who is ever going to accuse Bill Goldsworthy of being a big showboat?) and the Tebow.

Go ahead, y'all...Google is your friend. 8)
meridian90

Post by meridian90 »

Ogie wrote:
meridian90 wrote:
Ogie wrote: Wow...You sure you were ever a kid? :lol:

Who doesn't have to work damned hard for the things that they've accomplished, at the level we're talking about here?
Let me clarify. I'm not saying these kids haven't worked incredibly hard to get to where they are now.

I'm just saying most of the them appear to have no humility in them. We all worked hard together so that our team could accomplish things, not each one of us as individuals. Those came along the way, but they meant nothing if the team didn't reach its' goals.

But we will see if the MSHSL looks at excessive celebration for goals now. should be interesting.
imlisteningtothefnsong

Goal celebrations

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong »

Seriously, if MSHL has to make a rule change for goal celebrations it would be a joke. You tube Theo Fleury's goal cele. Could we suck any more fun out of this sport. Seek and destroy says don't taunt the other team. How did you come up with your screen name?? You should call yourself neutered and snuggly. Do we not remember all the smack talk that goes on during the gamer? A big celebration in the goal crease or in front of their bench is just a way to say "I am Wind in His Hair!! Do you see I am not afraid of You?!?!" How do you get Dances with Wolves in a hockey post??
No hard feelings S&D. 8)
almostashappy

Re: Goal celebrations

Post by almostashappy »

imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:Seriously, if MSHL has to make a rule change for goal celebrations it would be a joke. You tube Theo Fleury's goal cele. Could we suck any more fun out of this sport. Seek and destroy says don't taunt the other team. How did you come up with your screen name?? You should call yourself neutered and snuggly. Do we not remember all the smack talk that goes on during the gamer? A big celebration in the goal crease or in front of their bench is just a way to say "I am Wind in His Hair!! Do you see I am not afraid of You?!?!" How do you get Dances with Wolves in a hockey post??
No hard feelings S&D. 8)
While I'm not a fan of these cele's, I understand both sides of this argument...so don't take this as a loaded question.

It's been noted that excessive celebrations are frowned upon in other team sports. If you think they are okay for high school hockey, should MSHSL be consistent and change the rules that penalize comparable goose-stepping struts, end-zone dances or soccer goal shirt strips? :?:
imlisteningtothefnsong

Goal celebrations

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong »

Upon further review.....I am not for excessive celebrations, but I still love and can't help but smile as I watch Eruzioni's or Fleury's passion for the goal. That being said any lead over 3 should not be that excited to score.
JCarlson

Post by JCarlson »

I would add that acting bored after a goal is as bad as excessive celebration....often you see this in JV games - as if it doesn't matter much. Getting a goal is cause for huge celebration, no matter what level you play at. Just do it with your team, boys. Without them, you're nothing.
whos_it

Post by whos_it »

My personal favorite .... all the cadets parting like the red sea to Moses. Talk about celebrating with your entire student body. I LOVE HIGH SCHOOL HOCKEY CELEBRATIONS. "The Superman", the "stick ride", the "one knee slide", the "launch into the boards", the "showing my jersey", the "5 person pile-up" and all the rest. I can not imagine how freeking exciting scoring a goal at the X with all my life long buds would be???

Sure, I prefer, as an old fuddy duddy, that the kids include their teammates AND/OR the student body but I have ZERO problem with kids celebrating in which ever method they feel like. I love icecream, some flavors more than others, but I LOVE icecream. Some celebrations I love more than others, but in general I love them all.

Slipping the puck into your own net and celebrating with a "Bird Flip" to your head coach, I may frown upon.
little9BigRed

Post by little9BigRed »

Hockey102 wrote:Way to much of ME.. How about finding the guy that passed you the puck!!!
You hit the nail on the head. Ok to celly if unassisted but this is a team sport.
This past season I watched a senior captain #5 from Owatonna go celly alone in the corner even when he didn't score the goal. Last year he hijacked two goals from his linemates for a hatty. The sad part is that he is the only one that bought it, his teamates just shake heads and laugh it off.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

JCarlson wrote:The STA brats? What a bunch of cocky little boys. Tuggin' on the sweater and all. Did you see Hermantown after each goal? Come together right away as a group. Classy and enjoying every second.
Ha, you can't be serious :lol:
If you are honestly saying you've never seen a player go over to the opposing fans after scoring a goal you've likely not been around much hockey...

It's okay for the fans to boo the kids, but then when he scores for the kid to not go over to the fans who booed him (and yelling things at him) and show off for his school? Interesting.

You apparently missed the Hermantown kids skating by the STA bench as they skated by their own in a way I haven't seen a team do this year. Oh well.

It sure is interesting to me how people seem to have their own blinders on in making the same comments about other places. I'm fine admitting to things the students at my alma mater do I'm not the proudest of (I have many times on here), not sure why so many have their blinders on about it.
meridian90 wrote:
How does making a gesture mean you are self absorbed? The fans, teammates, etc discuss these things and they are often celebrating with the team.
TheMNhockey1

Post by TheMNhockey1 »

Saying you don't want them to celly is like saying you don't wan them to have flow. These cellys are pretty much kids natural reactions to kids now. For the people calling it selfish they will typically go back to the bench and the guy who scored might say nice pass or something if needed, but also the kids on the bench will say sick celly to the guy who scored.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

"These DAMN kids with their darn Rock n Roll!"

I do think that the kids should know the time & place to pop a celebration. Toscano in the 3rd place game when East was up by 4 goals in the 3rd period doesn't need to shoot a bow & arrow on one knee in front of the Wayzata bench. But overall, this place sounds like a bunch of old fuddie-duddies complaining & desperate to talk about "back in my day, ....." & "when we used to play, ...." when in reality, we're really not that much different.

If anyone is to blame, I'd go with the 1980s/1990s Miami Hurricanes & the Fab Five. :lol:

Come get me when a kids scores a goal, takes the puck, skates out to center ice, sets it on the center dot & then looks up at the sky with his hands outward. Until then, I'm cool with it.