Where do they come from?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
observer wrote:I think he's suggesting although not impossible it's nutty. It's why the privates end up with a lot of players, and parents, with issues.
My point that many people often ignore is that many people make a decision about high school 10 or more years before a child gets to the school. One of the top things people look at in buying a house is where their child will go to [high] school. This goes the same for public and private schools.
Until recently it was easier for people to change their mind to attend a private school than a public, which has changed.

This is the part of the "recruiting debate" that is interesting for discussion and one that many are in denial about. All communities everywhere recruit (or don't) to get people to move to their community by providing a good community. Some do a better job than others.

Many that end up "leaving their community hockey programs" to go play at a private school had chosen to live in that community because they could be a part of the community and attend the private school they wanted to, not to "hijacking Bantam programs" as was suggested.
Agree 100 %. Is it true that Edina Public High School offers free tuition to Edina Youth Hockey players to attend Edina? If so how can private scoops compete?
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:
observer wrote:I think he's suggesting although not impossible it's nutty. It's why the privates end up with a lot of players, and parents, with issues.
My point that many people often ignore is that many people make a decision about high school 10 or more years before a child gets to the school. One of the top things people look at in buying a house is where their child will go to [high] school. This goes the same for public and private schools.
Until recently it was easier for people to change their mind to attend a private school than a public, which has changed.

This is the part of the "recruiting debate" that is interesting for discussion and one that many are in denial about. All communities everywhere recruit (or don't) to get people to move to their community by providing a good community. Some do a better job than others.

Many that end up "leaving their community hockey programs" to go play at a private school had chosen to live in that community because they could be a part of the community and attend the private school they wanted to, not to "hijacking Bantam programs" as was suggested.
Agree 100 %. Is it true that Edina Public High School offers free tuition to Edina Youth Hockey players to attend Edina? If so how can private scoops compete?
"Schools". Fat finger.
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

observer wrote:
Might as well let Canucks in too, eh ?
This season's Warroad girls team had three sisters from Canada. One will graduate.
Who cares; it's girl's hockey :P
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

City living and country living is different in almost every way imaginable. I totally get it that people are proud that the Roseau kids are from Roseau and the Hermantown kids are from Hermantown. Mammy and pappy might've grown up there too.

Is that realistic in a metropolitan area of over 2,000,000 people? Not really. Forget school and hockey, life is more fluid.

I'm reading on this board weekly about problems that have popped up like what happened in East Grand Forks and Cloquet. Who's to say these "tight-knit" communities with "loyal" families wouldn't see a huge exodus if a choice actually existed?

I get the whole community pride thing. I just don't believe all these folks would act much differently given the same choices.
Be kind. Rewind.
Air Force 1

Post by Air Force 1 »

O-townClown wrote:City living and country living is different in almost every way imaginable. I totally get it that people are proud that the Roseau kids are from Roseau and the Hermantown kids are from Hermantown. Mammy and pappy might've grown up there too.

Is that realistic in a metropolitan area of over 2,000,000 people? Not really. Forget school and hockey, life is more fluid.

I'm reading on this board weekly about problems that have popped up like what happened in East Grand Forks and Cloquet. Who's to say these "tight-knit" communities with "loyal" families wouldn't see a huge exodus if a choice actually existed?

I get the whole community pride thing. I just don't believe all these folks would act much differently given the same choices.
What happened in EGF?
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Air Force 1 wrote:What happened in EGF?
I could have the wrong community. There is a thread from a few weeks ago where the insinuation is that the families and/or coaches had sold out in a quest for a championship. I didn't really follow what had happened so I only skimmed it. The place was somewhere you didn't have choices like Holy Family, Holy Angels, Hill-Murray, Benilde-St. Margaret's, St. Thomas Academy, Totino-Grace, and Cretin Derham-Hall. Whoops, I left out Breck, Blake, Minnehaha Academy, St. Paul Academy, and a few more.
Be kind. Rewind.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:

Agree 100 %. Is it true that Edina Public High School offers free tuition to Edina Youth Hockey players to attend Edina? If so how can private schools compete?
You didn't hear? Charging tuition and having academic standards for attendance is an advantage... :-$
Ugottobekiddingme

Post by Ugottobekiddingme »

I need to go back to my coaching manual on this subject...didn't the players that were "placed" together from child birth given the execption towards win/loss being most win? It was always explained within the hockey manifesto that these individuals had chemistry, hockey sense, drive, community organization, desire, purpose, and will to find the back of net...has something changed?
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

HSHockeywatcher: I fully understand many parents chart their children's educational course. Many already know what college and med school their kids will attend. Would you agree there are many people that make the choice to leave their community far closer than when entering kindergarten?

Regarding "hijacking" Bantam programs. One doesn't have to look any further than Sibley to see the influx of STA kids into the program as Bantams. When MN Hockey changed the residency rule to allow hopping associations based on school attended, the box was opened. I still laugh when I heard the primary reason was kids wanting to play with their friends. I can imagine the first day of practice at Sibley. Think of the scene from Miracle. I XXX, I'm from Wisconsin and I play for SIBLEY!

Back to the original post. I had asked if people knew where the kids at the private schools came from. I was hoping some of you insiders could say what youth association or cities the kids came from. Actually was hoping people might know if tuition is being paid or not. I know of one STA kid playing on a "free ride". Possibly in violation of NCAA rules? If kids can't get a burger and soda for playing hockey, can they receive $100,000 of free education to play HS hockey?
JSR

Re: Where do they come from?

Post by JSR »

koolio wrote:
BadgerBob82 wrote:With all the private school talk, I am curious where do the players come from? As in, where did they play their youth hockey? I don't think hijacking Bantam programs counts as playing their youth hockey.
Great question. Here are a few private schools at an initial glance (have not accounted for every player/association):

Hill - Roseville, Stillwater, Woodbury, St. Paul (Highland/Central; Como), South St. Paul, Cottage Grove, North St. Paul, White Bear Lake, Centennial, Hudson

STA - Cottage Grove, St. Paul (Highland/Central), WSP-Sibley, Eagan, Chaska, North Branch, Mounds View, Stillwater, Hudson, River Falls, Lakeville North, Milwaukee, Waconia

Cretin - Andover, Centennial, St. Paul (Highland/Central; Como), Eagan, Woodbury, Apple Valley, Stillwater
Milwaukee, Hudson, River Falls....??? Really? Wow, lots of WI kids on that STA team apparently, and leading them in scoring from what I have heard....... :wink:
Bonehead

Post by Bonehead »

BadgerBob82 wrote:HSHockeywatcher: I fully understand many parents chart their children's educational course. Many already know what college and med school their kids will attend. Would you agree there are many people that make the choice to leave their community far closer than when entering kindergarten?

Regarding "hijacking" Bantam programs. One doesn't have to look any further than Sibley to see the influx of STA kids into the program as Bantams. When MN Hockey changed the residency rule to allow hopping associations based on school attended, the box was opened. I still laugh when I heard the primary reason was kids wanting to play with their friends. I can imagine the first day of practice at Sibley. Think of the scene from Miracle. I XXX, I'm from Wisconsin and I play for SIBLEY!

Back to the original post. I had asked if people knew where the kids at the private schools came from. I was hoping some of you insiders could say what youth association or cities the kids came from. Actually was hoping people might know if tuition is being paid or not. I know of one STA kid playing on a "free ride". Possibly in violation of NCAA rules? If kids can't get a burger and soda for playing hockey, can they receive $100,000 of free education to play HS hockey?
Tuition for the big 3 is 12-13K per year. Scholarships are 'need based' or 'merit based' and are fuzzy enough to allow almost any 'need' or 'merit'.

The perception that private schools buy trophies is inaccurate IMHO. The parents DO buy trophies for their kids and private schools are the vehicle that many of them use.

The goofy hockey above all mentality that takes over a family with a talented kid is what drives me crazy! If your kid has talent he/she WILL be noticed - even if you're playing for Cooper (right Lance Pitlick?) or SLP.
Air Force 1

Post by Air Force 1 »

O-townClown wrote:
Air Force 1 wrote:What happened in EGF?
I could have the wrong community. There is a thread from a few weeks ago where the insinuation is that the families and/or coaches had sold out in a quest for a championship. I didn't really follow what had happened so I only skimmed it. The place was somewhere you didn't have choices like Holy Family, Holy Angels, Hill-Murray, Benilde-St. Margaret's, St. Thomas Academy, Totino-Grace, and Cretin Derham-Hall. Whoops, I left out Breck, Blake, Minnehaha Academy, St. Paul Academy, and a few more.
There was one wanker that was whining probably because his superstar was on the JV team but besides that, everybody was supportive of the team, coaches and the results. This individual was quiet when they were winning, only appeared after a loss and to stir the pot.
SquirtC'00

Post by SquirtC'00 »

I didn’t know where to put this reply but I think this thread will work. For the issue of where STA students come from I can honestly say they come from everywhere. So when I look at the List of where the players are from that looks normal for STA. This is a list from my junior year class directory from STA and where all the juniors are from (note I would have used my senior year’s but I couldn’t find it because it was always in my car so I could punch friends' addresses into my GPS). Also we did not win state this year nor did the 2 Wisconsin kids play hockey for STA.

Mendota Heights 22
St. Paul 18
Eagan. 10
Lakeville. 10
Edina 7
Inver Grove Heights 5
Rosemont. 5
Bloomington. 4
North Oaks. 3
Minneapolis 3
Cottage Grove 3
Apple Valley 3
Hastings. 3
Woodbury. 3
Maplewood 2
Roseville 2
White Bear. 2
Farmington. 2
Burnsville. 2
Eden Prairie 2
Mahtomedi. 2
So. St. Paul. 2
Hudson WI. 1
St. Anthony.1
Circle Pines 1
Zimmerman. 1
Shorewood. 1
Afton. 1
Red Wing. 1
Stillwater. 1
Lillydale. 1
Savage. 1
River Falls WI. 1
Lakeland. 1
Shoreview. 1
Chaska. 1
Lino Lakes. 1
W. St. Paul. 1
Prior Lake. 1
New Brighton 1
puckster15

Post by puckster15 »

I wonder why all of these Wisconsin kids drive right by Hill Murray on the way to STA? Why would they want an all boys millitary school that plays single A hockey?

I also think STA costs about $5,000 more than Hill Murray. Certainly Novak could have played on Hill Murray team and saved a lot of drive time.

I just don't get it.
thebluemamba

Post by thebluemamba »

puckster15 wrote:I wonder why all of these Wisconsin kids drive right by Hill Murray on the way to STA? Why would they want an all boys millitary school that plays single A hockey?

I also think STA costs about $5,000 more than Hill Murray. Certainly Novak could have played on Hill Murray team and saved a lot of drive time.

I just don't get it.

Maybe he wants to be the next George Patton
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Wow, Hill missing out on a couple kids! You just have to see the humor in that.

I feel we are on a slippery slope here, as our great sport continues to separate itself along the lines of financial resources we'll see more and more of our top players "grouping". By that I mean that these kids know and compete with one and other from age 7 till high school. You'll have the big 4 in the west metro and privates pretty much ruling high school hockey. Come to think of it they already are!
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

keepyourheadup wrote:Wow, Hill missing out on a couple kids! You just have to see the humor in that.

I feel we are on a slippery slope here, as our great sport continues to separate itself along the lines of financial resources we'll see more and more of our top players "grouping". By that I mean that these kids know and compete with one and other from age 7 till high school. You'll have the big 4 in the west metro and privates pretty much ruling high school hockey. Come to think of it they already are!
Ding, Ding, Ding. We have a winner here. Although the West has been a few decades behind HM in gaining supremacy.
RonBurgandy

Post by RonBurgandy »

Bonehead wrote:
BadgerBob82 wrote:HSHockeywatcher: I fully understand many parents chart their children's educational course. Many already know what college and med school their kids will attend. Would you agree there are many people that make the choice to leave their community far closer than when entering kindergarten?

Tuition for the big 3 is 12-13K per year. Scholarships are 'need based' or 'merit based' and are fuzzy enough to allow almost any 'need' or 'merit'.

The perception that private schools buy trophies is inaccurate IMHO. The parents DO buy trophies for their kids and private schools are the vehicle that many of them use.

The goofy hockey above all mentality that takes over a family with a talented kid is what drives me crazy! If your kid has talent he/she WILL be noticed - even if you're playing for Cooper (right Lance Pitlick?) or SLP.

Doesnt Lance Pitlick have a kid a Shattuck?
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

puckster15 wrote:I wonder why all of these Wisconsin kids drive right by Hill Murray on the way to STA? Why would they want an all boys millitary school that plays single A hockey?

I just don't get it.
Vis. girls!
Bonehead

Post by Bonehead »

RonBurgandy wrote:
Bonehead wrote:

Doesnt Lance Pitlick have a kid a Shattuck?
Rumored (on this board so take it with a grain of salt) to be returning to Wayzata next season. We'll see.
HShockeywatcher

I'm not at all saying that some people do not actually choose where they are going to go to high school in January of their 8th grade year, and I have no first hand knowledge of the politics as it relates to things at the rink of bantams, but it definitely isn't the number of kids that people act like it is. Many don't want to accept that Johnny's parents were going to send him to Holy Angels since the day they bought their house in Lakeville 10 years ago and that Holy Angels didn't "steal" him from the Lakeville high schools, for example.

Another example to what you're saying I think is Minneapolis. A quality program with regular pretty good teams. But where do those players attend grade school and where were they planning on going to high school all along? For many of them the answer to both is private schools.

As to the scholarships, it is amazing how we have seen multiple specific examples on this site of athletes who ended up not being able attend a private school for financial reasons while all of the "full-ride athletic scholarships" are completely hearsay.
Is it possible that at some point an alum from a school put up the tuition money for an athlete who would otherwise attend school somewhere else? Sure, I doubt anyone would say it is out of the realm of possibility.
Does it happen regularly? No. Private schools have plenty of checks and balances and many people watching every penny spent at the school. It couldn't and doesn't happen the way so many around claim it does.
easton18

Post by easton18 »

celly93 wrote: Also, I think the creator of this thread needs to realize that just because a player plays for a youth program doesn't mean the player ever attended a public school.
This is a great point that a lot of people overlook. I'm not sure on percentages or numbers, but a fair number of kids attending/playing for private high schools have been at private schools since middle or elementary school. The idea that these kids "owe" it to their community or that playing for a private school instead of their town/city's public school is some kind of great treason is a bit ridiculous...some kids' parents never planned on sending them to the public schools in their district. That's just how it is...
Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 »

I just don't get it.
STA must have had a better offer on the table. That Joey Anderson was expensive from what I read on here!
DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy »

HShockeywatcher wrote:

True. Most of the players at the private hockey powers are not in this category though. Many of them have siblings back at the public schools that they left.
HShockeywatcher

DubCHAGuy wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:

True. Most of the players at the private hockey powers are not in this category though. Many of them have siblings back at the public schools that they left.
I doubt it is most, but no need to quibble over the difference between most and some. If you are correct, why are they leaving?
Most live in a community with a fine program, where they originally intended to be.